Gardening 2023: Beets Offseason

Mrs Whiggins

Don't know if this the correct thread. But, my front yard has St. Augustine grass. I take really good care of it, and for the last several years it looks like a putting green by now. But this year it's really spotty with a bunch of dead areas. Happening in my neighbors yards as well

Any ideas?

6 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Don't know if this the correct thread. But, my front yard has St. Augustine grass. I take really good care of it, and for the last several years it looks like a putting green by now. But this year it's really spotty with a bunch of dead areas. Happening in my neighbors yards as well

Any ideas?

There has been a lot of winter kill in N Tx. If it had any underlying issues before that last burst of sleet and cold it can hit hard. It was on the dry side before it hit which makes it more susceptible to freezing.

That said, look up Take All Root Rot. Get familiar with the symptoms. It's an ongoing issue with StA. 

I think I have posted links and things in the landscaping thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

There has been a lot of winter kill in N Tx. If it had any underlying issues before that last burst of sleet and cold it can hit hard. It was on the dry side before it hit which makes it more susceptible to freezing.

That said, look up Take All Root Rot. Get familiar with the symptoms. It's an ongoing issue with StA. 

I think I have posted links and things in the landscaping thread.

Thanks man! I thought there would be a lawn and landscaping thread but I couldn't find it

Wasn't sure where to put this but I'm hoping to get some people's thoughts on this. I caught an older woman picking peaches off my tree in my front yard the other day. I just happened to be at home and was able to stop her from making off with them. Posted about it on nextdoor. Comments have been interesting with most people agreeing that people should respect boundaries and not pick fruit from people's yards. Then there are the ones who seem to want to blame me for planting a tree in my front yard. Any thoughts? Video and link to nextdoor thread below (if anybody wants to read)

https://nextdoor.com/p/JYLSXHZcjwzs

Yeah you can't just walk onto people's property and steal their shit. That's pretty basic. 

When I lived in Austin I'd catch people in my front yard all the time collecting pecans. It seemed petty to give them shit but at the same time, you don't see me in their yard stealing their kids toys and shit. 

Nextdoor is populated by the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet. If you ever start to feel like whatever success you've achieved in your life is a reflection on your intelligence, take a quick hop on to Nextdoor and see how incredibly fucking stupid everyone who lives in your neighborhood is.

• Hook 'Em 1

Most of my tomatoes are 7 feet tall, some are over eight. I just started digging up potatoes and planting more cucumbers. 

tomatoes were celebrity Cherokee, purple, better boy, and red snapper, the new one from H-E-B that got nice size medium tomatoes 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

On 6/6/2023 at 11:55 AM, Celery Man said:

Nextdoor is populated by the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet. If you ever start to feel like whatever success you've achieved in your life is a reflection on your intelligence, take a quick hop on to Nextdoor and see how incredibly fucking stupid everyone who lives in your neighborhood is.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know what exactly you have planned but it's gonna be extremely hot in the summer, obviously.  Gonna need shade cloth.

I've thought about doing it as well and planting sunflowers in the east and west side of mine to help with shade.  The grow tall and will die off in the fall when you want some sunshine for heating and light. Plus the bees love them.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/25/2023 at 7:40 AM, Bookman said:

Thinking of getting a greenhouse. I live in San Antonio. Any thoughts?

I had one of these on my back porch in SA for a while.  It was nice for starting plants, and keeping the critters out while plants were young.  I never had to add a heat lamp in there, but it would have been easy to do.

When I moved, I rebuilt this at the end my my house, and the wind tore the fabric up.  I relocated the frame over a raised bed, in case I ever want to reattach another cover, or just drape something over it. 

Honestly, this was one of the cheap ones out there, and was kind of intended to be a starter greenhouse.  I have more space to experiment with plants now, but someday I might get another, better greenhouse.

https://www.amazon.com/Purlyu-Greenhouse-Thickened-Powder-Coated-4-7x4-7x6-4/dp/B0BP1G51Q6/ref=sr_1_6?c=ts&keywords=Greenhouses&qid=1690727204&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-6&ts_id=11055931&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

81SMGyZMPiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Most of my cucumbers this year have been bitter. White on the inside and just don't taste that good. Anyone experience this? 

Google says it could be from overwatering, or not enough sunlight. I don't think it's overwatering as I missed watering one day and lost 1/3 of the whole plant. Sunlight isn't an issue either. Did I just get a bad plant? 

Townes has been dropping leaves, I may have overwatered him accidentally but he’s also pretty root bound

B56CE718-FCB9-4C0C-9D52-DF1AA505E310.thumb.jpeg.c19a297e8ca0478c5a2c2c382a57e136.jpeg

882597EA-DA25-4773-A796-1542680EB3EA.thumb.jpeg.7bcc59f763d3092816d484623f3c2fd1.jpeg

452C8358-B433-496D-9A7C-1F64D5ABDEFB.thumb.jpeg.d5430b3e66311087a0d8e0a3d35544af.jpeg

Just found this fucker on the driveway (I’m in NC). Salted the shit out of it, put it in a Ziploc bag with vinegar, and threw its husk in the trash sealed in the bag. Fuck you.

IMG_3454.thumb.jpeg.b6d4873f4da1ea2ada5f29233bec592e.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a lot of work to do in the garden: dig up old tomatoes and other plants that have been spent, turn over my compost pile, pull weeds, check my irrigation lines.  But I really don't want to do any of that.  It's too fucking hot, even early in the morning.  I don't enjoy being out there, and I'm not getting any produce out of it to make it feel worthwhile. 

There was talk of greenhouses above; I'm starting to consider a large one that I can air-condition.  Fuck this summer, and last summer, and next summer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 3:52 PM, CoachTex said:

Any one got any suggestions for kicking Spider mite asses? My tomatoes got them bad. I have been removing affected parts but I'm sure there is more. Any way to eradicate them?

If a treatment for mites is necessary, use selective materials, preferably insecticidal soap or insecticidal oil. Both petroleum-based horticultural oils and plant-based oils such as neem, canola, or cottonseed oils are acceptable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my vermicomposting up and cooking. I cleaned out my first round and it's about 2 gallons worth of unbelievable compost.

Going to repot some house plants in it. And leave the rest for seedlings. Then make some compost tea.

I have enough worms now for another bin but haven't done it yet.  

PXL_20231110_171815467.thumb.jpg.c12a534db063ff75a280e9d2a7e3a2d2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So pulled all fruit off of tomato and pepper plants before freeze. Pretty sure everything will be trashed after the freeze.  What is the best protocol for the raised beds to prep for next planting season, only a few months away?  Do I pull out all the dead plants or just bury them in the soil and turn it over?