Help me build a Spotify Playlist.... 70's guitar rock

locodos

Lotta good stuff from the 70s already mentioned, but will offer up The Joker by Steve Miller band.  Here’s some post 70s that will fit on your playlist.
Change - Blind Mellon
Hard Sun - Indio
Beg Steal or Borrow - Ray Lamontagne
Loner - Ekoustic Hookah
Closer to the Sun - Slightly Stoopid
Lucky Man - The Verve
Vagabond - Wolfmother

I’d throw some Blackberry Smoke on this list, like maybe Good One Coming On
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, locodos said:

Been enjoying this one, made the jump to "liked" songs

Here’s another good one with visuals. This is from their Backstage Pass video which was released in 1992 (I still have it on VHS). The performance is from 4/29/72 at the Fillmore East. That capped a 5-night run, the Dead’s last before Bill Graham closed her down, excerpts of which, including this, are on the 4-disc official release titled “Ladies and Gentlemen…” In case that’s information anyone can use.

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

The best driving song ever is Skynyrd's cover of J.J. Cale's "Call Me The Breeze," and anyone who disagrees is not only wrong but deserves every single bad thing that could possibly happen to them.

Early 90's I drove from Gainesville to Aspen Co with a rando from UF.  He had a friend of his father who was an ex-nfl lineman who lived outside Wako. (where I have no idea)   We spent the night at his big ass ranch and then drove west to NM through rolling hills ...   His father's friend told us that the cops didn't write tickets out there, but to watch out for harvesters on the road because if you hit one you're dead.

All we heard was "they don't write tickets"  so we hauled ass through Texas with the CULT playing on the CD player..  Fucking nirvana! 100+ through rolling hills (it still took for fucking ever)

Love Removal Machine is the ultimate road trip song!  Fight me!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

The best driving song ever is Skynyrd's cover of J.J. Cale's "Call Me The Breeze," and anyone who disagrees is not only wrong but deserves every single bad thing that could possibly happen to them.

That’s a very nice song, but you’re wrong about it being the best, and you should feel bad about yourself. This, sir, is The Best:  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

That’s a very nice song, but you’re wrong about it being the best, and you should feel bad about yourself. This, sir, is The Best:  

3 hours ago, G650 said:

You idiots know damn well Golden Earring's Radar Love and Spencer Davis Gimme Some Lovin are 1A and 1B of driving songs.

There isn't a word in the English language adequate to convey the extent to which ya'll are wrong.   

17 hours ago, locodos said:

Early 90's I drove from Gainesville to Aspen Co with a rando from UF.  He had a friend of his father who was an ex-nfl lineman who lived outside Wako. (where I have no idea)   We spent the night at his big ass ranch and then drove west to NM through rolling hills ...   His father's friend told us that the cops didn't write tickets out there, but to watch out for harvesters on the road because if you hit one you're dead.

All we heard was "they don't write tickets"  so we hauled ass through Texas with the CULT playing on the CD player..  Fucking nirvana! 100+ through rolling hills (it still took for fucking ever)

Love Removal Machine is the ultimate road trip song!  Fight me!

Oh, it's on!

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2023 at 5:57 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Just found this thread and was amazed that nobody had posted this.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, hullabelew said:

This version of "Call Me The Breeze" just kills me.  Not sure if I like this or a live Skynyrd better....

More twin lead guitars:   April Wine, Sign of the Gypsy Queen.

Had tickets for the following show and April Wine pulled out of the show

Colorado Sun Day No. 1 July 19, 1980 at Folsom Field:
  • Cheap Trick
  • REO Speedwagon
  • Blackfoot
  • Sammy Hagar
  • Bill Bruford (a last-minute replacement for April Wine, Bill Bruford and the Killer Bees played dressed up in Bumble-Bee costumes)
3 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Last one (for a while).  Sorry, not sorry if already posted.  I just LOVE this version.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/8/2023 at 4:44 PM, 66BUFF said:

Had tickets for the following show and April Wine pulled out of the show

Colorado Sun Day No. 1 July 19, 1980 at Folsom Field:
  • Cheap Trick
  • REO Speedwagon
  • Blackfoot
  • Sammy Hagar
  • Bill Bruford (a last-minute replacement for April Wine, Bill Bruford and the Killer Bees played dressed up in Bumble-Bee costumes)

I saw all of those bands in 79 and 80 all in separate shows, (except for Bruford).  Was Killer Bees the reggae band from Austin? Man, I used to LOVE their live shows.    

I saw April Wine open for Molly Hatchet that year.  REO on the 9 Lives tour (actually 79) before Cronin pussed out on us and ruined Gary Richrath.  Would have to go thru the ticket stubs to see how the other bands played with.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Don't tell me Axl Rose wasn't heavily influenced by Dan McCafferty.  Hair of the Dog is a 70's hard rock cornerstone.

Was someone trying to tell you Axl wasn't influenced by a band he literally covered?