2023 NBA Draft

Mitch Cumsteen

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I was actually talking about the espn coverage. It was terrible. 

i swear to god, i don't know if anyone else here was tuned in yet, but before the draft started that one chick they had announcing the event got up from behind the desk, got in front of the camera, and demonstrated how she (apparently a former player), used to fade away and lose her balance while shooting jumpers, with her point being how amazing it is that victor wembanyama has the core strength to be able to jab step one way and then shoot the ball without losing his balance and nearly falling over. afterward she was like, "jj you know what i'm talking about, you were a shooter", and jj was just like, "....yeah. anyways....". it was brutal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

JJs pretty good and clearly not as douchey as his college days.

ESPN needs to go back to the green board. JJ, Bilas, a host, and an nba guy. Or laphonso Ellis. Whatever.

Last night was an absolute snooze. I think I said earlier that the star power from college wasn’t there at all…and G league is just another league I don’t have any time to pay attention to.

I hope future drafts aren’t as bad as last night. NBA draft would be a must watch most years. Of course wolves always had top 5 picks so

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i swear to god, i don't know if anyone else here was tuned in yet, but before the draft started that one chick they had announcing the event got up from behind the desk, got in front of the camera, and demonstrated how she (apparently a former player), used to fade away and lose her balance while shooting jumpers, with her point being how amazing it is that victor wembanyama has the core strength to be able to jab step one way and then shoot the ball without losing his balance and nearly falling over. afterward she was like, "jj you know what i'm talking about, you were a shooter", and jj was just like, "....yeah. anyways....". it was brutal. 

I saw that segment. It was awful. I may have let it slide if it was 2.5 hours in and they were killing time like a baseball rain delay, but they led off their fucking coverage with it. It should have been a giant red flag about how the rest of the night was going to go.

What made it even worse was that they had an entire other broadcast channel dedicated to the human interest side of the draft, so why do that on ESPN as well? If anybody was really that compelled to hear every parent gush over their child's work ethic and realization of dreams, you could have turned the channel and watched it. Why subject the rest of the world who actually cares about basketball to that bullshit?

When they do the NFL draft, they have reporters embedded in war rooms and interviews with coaches and GMs. They analyze the fuck out of every pick and how it fits into the teams plans and roster construction. They talk about the impact on free agency and the salary cap. Instead of that, we got some redneck in jorts with a Wemby face and ESPN logo shaved into his head, jumping around the AT&T Center like some kind of Kansas City faggot.*

*not a homophobic comment -- Blazing Saddles reference.

12 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

JJs pretty good and clearly not as douchey as his college days.

ESPN needs to go back to the green board. JJ, Bilas, a host, and an nba guy. Or laphonso Ellis. Whatever.

Last night was an absolute snooze. I think I said earlier that the star power from college wasn’t there at all…and G league is just another league I don’t have any time to pay attention to.

I hope future drafts aren’t as bad as last night. NBA draft would be a must watch most years. Of course wolves always had top 5 picks so

The broadcast didn't suck because of a lack of star power. It featured literally the most ballyhooed prospect in 20 years, maybe ever. You may not have heard of players in the G league, but you sure as shit heard of Scoot Henderson who was the best point guard prospect in more than a decade. For fuck's sake the guy who went second overall drove a murder weapon to the scene of the crime but why would ESPN talk about any of that shit when they can suck off mom and dad to tell us how proud they are that they are about to get paid.

The content and the production was beyond pathetic. I don't want to bag on the three women of color who ran the show because it sounds sexist and racist, but they brought absolutely nothing to the table. Doris Burke would have wiped the floor with them with real, insightful basketball takes. Fucking ESPN turned the NBA draft into the View. I love the draft. I can't believe they fucked it up this bad. Why? Just.... why?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't want to bag on the three women of color who ran the show because it sounds sexist and racist, but they brought absolutely nothing to the table.

i was just talking about this with my mom. when espn makes these hires and creates these positions just so that they can check off some diversity/inclusion boxes, it waters down the entire product. it wasn't like, "we'll bring in monica mcnutt because she's a great analyst/reporter who will ask poignant questions", it was really just, "well she's black and she's a woman so she's going to be heavily featured on our channel/during this broadcast." it not only fails to accomplish anything substantive, it diminishes the actual product that espn is putting out.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

The broadcast didn't suck because of a lack of star power. It featured literally the most ballyhooed prospect in 20 years, maybe ever. You may not have heard of players in the G league, but you sure as shit heard of Scoot Henderson who was the best point guard prospect in more than a decade. For fuck's sake the guy who went second overall drove a murder weapon to the scene of the crime but why would ESPN talk about any of that shit when they can suck off mom and dad to tell us how proud they are that they are about to get paid.
The content and the production was beyond pathetic. I don't want to bag on the three women of color who ran the show because it sounds sexist and racist, but they brought absolutely nothing to the table. Doris Burke would have wiped the floor with them with real, insightful basketball takes. Fucking ESPN turned the NBA draft into the View. I love the draft. I can't believe they fucked it up this bad. Why? Just.... why?

I’ve heard of scoot…but I’m not going out of my way to watch any GLeague games so I’m feeling disconnected when 4 out of the top 5 are gleague or euro, the top college pick has accusations of being connected to a murder, and the Naismith winner didn’t even declare for the draft…in which if Zach Edey who just anchored the second 1/16 upset in ncaa history is another headliner college player, that doesn’t help.

Only college player that looked most like an nba player to me was Jordan Hawkins…because his team won it all and he was like Ray Allen out there.

I don’t know how to say i think Jett Howard, Anthony black, gradey dick and other college lottery picks are probably busts without them playing a second

13 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’ve heard of scoot…but I’m not going out of my way to watch any GLeague games so I’m feeling disconnected when 4 out of the top 5 are gleague or euro, the top college pick has accusations of being connected to a murder, and the Naismith winner didn’t even declare for the draft…in which if Zach Edey who just anchored the second 1/16 upset in ncaa history is another headliner college player, that doesn’t help.

Only college player that looked most like an nba player to me was Jordan Hawkins…because his team won it all and he was like Ray Allen out there.

I don’t know how to say i think Jett Howard, Anthony black, gradey dick and other college lottery picks are probably busts without them playing a second

I know they want to play to the positive but it was wild how they were acting like so many of these kids are stars in waiting.    I'm not even sold on Scoot.   Not knowing not being impressed by 75% of the kids makes the draft wholly uninteresting to me now.   Also I clearly dont know what NBA teams are looking for now other than seemingly skill-less measurables that they can teach to play the way they want them to play.    For instance, I know the PG from Kansas St is small but he's a fucking baller but he wasnt even picked yet guys like Jett Howard and Kobe Bufkin who barely know how to play IMO are lottery picks.

Edited by d2o

*not a homophobic comment -- Blazing Saddles reference.

Yeah, no. Still a homophobic comment. It was a funny homophobic joke in 1974, now considered a homophobic joke from another time when otherwise good-meaning people didn't comprehend the homophobia. But that was 50 years ago, so what's your excuse other than you can only think of a homophobic joke from yesteryear to make your point?

Or perhaps I should try your tactic with other jokes from the movie. "I'm not racist for saying that about Wemby as he was walking up on stage, it's a Blazing Saddles reference."

/sjw

29 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Yeah, no. Still a homophobic comment. It was a funny homophobic joke in 1974, now considered a homophobic joke from another time when otherwise good-meaning people didn't comprehend the homophobia. But that was 50 years ago, so what's your excuse other than you can only think of a homophobic joke from yesteryear to make your point?

Or perhaps I should try your tactic with other jokes from the movie. "I'm not racist for saying that about Wemby as he was walking up on stage, it's a Blazing Saddles reference."

/sjw

I was born in 1974 and it wasn’t 50 years ago.  Yet.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

/sjw

I’m honestly sorry if you or anyone else was offended by my comment. I’m also sorry that you have no sense of humor. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Not sure which thread is appropriate,  but AAS published schedule for the Summer League to see Jabari, Allen, Carr.  And Wembanyama when watching Jabari.

Date Time Team/Player Opponent Channel/Location
7/3/23 7:00 p.m. CT Spurs/Rice Charlotte Hornets ESPN2/Sacramento
7/3/23 6:00 p.m. CT Grizzlies/Allen Philadelphia 76ers NBA TV/Salt Lake City
7/5/23 7:00 p.m. CT Spurs/Rice L.A. Lakers ESPN2/Sacramento
7/5/23 7:00 p.m. CT Grizzlies/Allen OKC Thunder NBA TV/Salt Lake City
7/6/23 7:00 p.m. CT Grizzlies/Allen Utah Jazz NBA TV/Salt Lake City
7/7/23 8:00 p.m. CT Spurs/Rice Charlotte Hornets ESPN/Las Vegas
7/8/23 6:00 p.m. CT Grizzlies/Allen Chicago Bulls NBA TV/Las Vegas
7/8/23 8:00 p.m. CT Suns/Carr Milwaukee Bucks NBA TV/Las Vegas
7/9/23 7:00 p.m. CT Spurs/Rice Portland Trailblazers ESPN 2/Las Vegas
7/10/23 5:00 p.m. CT Grizzlies/Allen Cleveland Cavaliers ESPNews/Las Vegas
7/10/23 5:30 p.m. CT Suns/Carr Miami Heat NBA TV/Las Vegas
7/11/23 7:00 p.m. CT Suns/Carr New Orleans Pelicans ESPN2/Las Vegas
7/11/23 9:30 p.m. CT Spurs/Rice Washington Wizards NBA TV/Las Vegas
7/12/23 2:30 p.m. CT Grizzlies/Allen L.A. Clippers NBA TV/Las Vegas
7/14/23 7:30 p.m. CT Spurs/Rice Detroit Pistons NBA TV/Las Vegas
7/14/23 9:30 p.m. CT Grizzlies/Allen L.A. Lakers NBA TV/Las Vegas
7/14/23 10:00 p.m. CT Suns/Carr Utah Jazz ESPN2/Las Vegas

How to watch Texas alumni, Victor Wembanyama at 2023 NBA Summer League (statesman.com)

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, torre said:

Not sure which thread is appropriate,  but AAS published schedule for the Summer League to see Jabari, Allen, Carr.  And Wembanyama when watching Jabari.

Date Time Team/Player Opponent Channel/Location
7/3/23 7:00 p.m. CT Spurs/Rice Charlotte Hornets ESPN2/Sacramento
7/3/23 6:00 p.m. CT Grizzlies/Allen Philadelphia 76ers NBA TV/Salt Lake City
7/5/23 7:00 p.m. CT Spurs/Rice L.A. Lakers ESPN2/Sacramento
7/5/23 7:00 p.m. CT Grizzlies/Allen OKC Thunder NBA TV/Salt Lake City
7/6/23 7:00 p.m. CT Grizzlies/Allen Utah Jazz NBA TV/Salt Lake City
7/7/23 8:00 p.m. CT Spurs/Rice Charlotte Hornets ESPN/Las Vegas
7/8/23 6:00 p.m. CT Grizzlies/Allen Chicago Bulls NBA TV/Las Vegas
7/8/23 8:00 p.m. CT Suns/Carr Milwaukee Bucks NBA TV/Las Vegas
7/9/23 7:00 p.m. CT Spurs/Rice Portland Trailblazers ESPN 2/Las Vegas
7/10/23 5:00 p.m. CT Grizzlies/Allen Cleveland Cavaliers ESPNews/Las Vegas
7/10/23 5:30 p.m. CT Suns/Carr Miami Heat NBA TV/Las Vegas
7/11/23 7:00 p.m. CT Suns/Carr New Orleans Pelicans ESPN2/Las Vegas
7/11/23 9:30 p.m. CT Spurs/Rice Washington Wizards NBA TV/Las Vegas
7/12/23 2:30 p.m. CT Grizzlies/Allen L.A. Clippers NBA TV/Las Vegas
7/14/23 7:30 p.m. CT Spurs/Rice Detroit Pistons NBA TV/Las Vegas
7/14/23 9:30 p.m. CT Grizzlies/Allen L.A. Lakers NBA TV/Las Vegas
7/14/23 10:00 p.m. CT Suns/Carr Utah Jazz ESPN2/Las Vegas

How to watch Texas alumni, Victor Wembanyama at 2023 NBA Summer League (statesman.com)

I love me some Carr but he's just too little to have a realistic shot. I think he could be a great Euro. 

actually think Rice will make the league after some time in Austin.

I don't think Timmy has any shot either. 

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

I love me some Carr but he's just too little to have a realistic shot. I think he could be a great Euro. 

Carr measured right at 6’1 in socks but with a nearly 6’7 wingspan.  That gives him similar measurable to guys like Patrick Beverly, Collin Sexton, Mike Conley, Cam Payne, Chris Paul, Jaylen Brunson, Seth Curry and Darius Garland.  His size isn’t really a problem IMO.

The issue is that he isn’t really that explosive. And he isn’t elite at either shooting or distributing.  He is pretty good at a lot of things though - and showed the potential to be a really good defender.  And at 24, he is NBA ready. Phoenix needs point guard depth NOW.

I give him over a 50/50 shot. He couldn’t have landed in a better spot.

4 hours ago, HookEm said:

Carr measured right at 6’1 in socks but with a nearly 6’7 wingspan.  That gives him similar measurable to guys like Patrick Beverly, Collin Sexton, Mike Conley, Cam Payne, Chris Paul, Jaylen Brunson, Seth Curry and Darius Garland.  His size isn’t really a problem IMO.

The issue is that he isn’t really that explosive.

Yes, based on who he is as a player he is too little. 

I'm aware that he wouldn't literally be the smallest player in NBA history. 

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think Carr will end up being a star in the NBA. I just don’t see a huge difference between him and someone like Devonte Graham.  

I’m curious to see how he does in summer league.  I wonder if Durant has played with him some before through the UT connection and might possibly be an advocate.

On 6/24/2023 at 12:30 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I honestly hope /sjw meant he was being completely sarcastic.

Blazing saddles quotes need no apologies for me. Especially on this site.

The only one who deserves a harumph.

Jesus Harold Christ, you faggots are retarded.