Pussies Vs. Wack Jobs - Getting Our Govt Under Control

Dbeasy

19 minutes ago, royiv said:

Agree with all of this and would add legalizing marijuana and ending the pointless prosecution and incarceration of people accused of nothing else than possession. Let's give our DAs, judges and juries more capacity for trials of real criminals.

I’d run on my platform and add yours but I don’t want death threats for me and my family. 

• Like 1

Train the homeless to steal phones and laptops to swap for drugs. This will give them exercise and planning skills as they adopt phone-snatching skills-- do they lie in wait like a solitary ambush hunter, or do they band together and harry their prey until they drop the electronics from exhaustion?

The reason you go for phones and laptops and similar electronics, is because this will wipe out the worst of the infantile tech bro culture who have to stare at screens or else die. When these flee, rents go down and acoustic guitar players return.

Coffee shops full of people writing poems on their devices will be stormed and left desolate, their place taken by Real Texas Cowboy Bars full of edgy alert folk, just like in Old Hollywood. The predatory homeless may sniff around but will swiftly learn that a thrown bottle brings only pain and no bounty money.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

As for your friends who may be looking for good candidates, the fastest way to fix our political system and hopefully start making changes and common sense legislation that is widely supported by all Americans would be to implement Rank Choice voting anywhere possible. It all starts there, and it will funnel out the crazies and systemic pieces of shit that prey on all sides of our political spectrum. 

I like ranked choice as a concept but honestly don't believe the typical American voter would get it. It's too complicated -- it's not really, but it is. The Irish pull it off well though. A halfway decent shortcut for short-attention-span Americans would be to simply eliminate partisan primaries and go with a "jungle" one to include candidates of all stripes with the top two going on to the general election. The process seems more likely to weed out the fringe candidate.

I'm now starting to hesitate to hit the submit button now, because I just remembered how Marine Le Pen was able to make it into the second round of the last French presidential election. I suppose if there's still a large enough (let's say 25-30% block of hard-core extremists in a population group), that could easily get them to the second round.

I'll leave this all just as food for thought.

I understand what you are saying and I'd like to believe your efforts are genuine, but in my experience "there's problems with both sides!!!" is almost always 1) a grift for right-wingers or 2) a guilty conscience from someone who is going to vote Republican but feels bad about it.

I said the line for years, but it is what it is.

• Hook 'Em 7

I volunteer my time at a food bank. I give more money to animal shelters than is fiscally responsible. 

I am for universal healthcare 

I am for women’s rights 

I am for queer rights 

I am for gun control 

I am for legalization 

I am for democracy 

I am for Ukraine 

I am for voting rights 

I am for books

I am for the Fairness Doctrine

I am for being a decent person 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass it along. I've been trying to not interject my personal views because it's ultimately the PAC's that are setting the vision, not me. With that said, the focus of these PACs is on the policies that are causing the corrupt behaviors of politicians. Those include:

1. Lobbying - finally do something to get lobbying overhauled to reduce corruption.

2. Voting rights - covering issues like gerrymandering, accessibility, etc.

3. Term limits

4. Conflict of interest - congressional rules, committee assignments, ethics rules, stock trading, etc.

5. Fund raising - dark money.

6. Etc.

The theory is that is does no good to go try to support some policy like immigration reform, gun laws, abortion, etc. if all of the above issues still exist. The corruption keeps these issues from getting resolved. Fix the root cause, and then sensible policies can be implemented.

The feedback from the board is very clear on one point. It seems to be very difficult for people to get behind something that might have some impact on an issue they care about. That's a fair concern.  I get it.

I guess it didn't bother me much because politically I support positions from both parties, and I figure that if you get enough high quality people in office who aren't corrupt, they will legislate effective policy. Right now, nothing is happening on many important issues. Anway, I'll pass along that feedback.

Finally, since so many are just dying to know my views on certain policies, I'll share a few. I'm all about optimally balancing individual responsibility with fair opportunity. You'll see I sway from far left to far right.

1.  Government negotiation of prescription drug prices.

2. A balanced handling of homelessness that provides a level of mental health care and limited support, but no endless camping out on streets. 

3. Tougher penalties for crimes, but accompanied with required conviction support services and a complete overhaul of our jail system.

4. Much stronger college and trade school education financial support for the financially challenged. No complete free giveaways for people who've run up too much college debt, but some limited help. They can work off debt doing public service volunteering, etc.

5. Medicare at age 55 and beyond, and an overhaul of Obamacare to improve care options.

6. Sensible immigration reform, with better border control accompanied by a path to citizenship for Dreamers and an immigration points system with similarities to Canada.

7. Less focus on race based policies and more on the financially challenged.

8. Some gun control policies around registration, wait periods, background checks, but not the elimination of AR-15 type rifles.

• Hook 'Em 1