India - Burgeoning Global Superpower -- Friend & Foe?

HamsterHookah

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

It's an understanding that India's primary foreign policy concern is keeping China somewhat in check and that doesn't happen if Dehli abandons Moscow entirely. India is abandoning Russian arms.

https://www.reuters.com/world/india/india-pivots-away-russian-arms-will-retain-strong-ties-2024-01-28/

And keep in mind we also don't want Russia to become (even more of) a mining colony for China

hopefully chinese military tech is based on russian tech

5 hours ago, chainsaw said:

It's shocking that a country of that size can't produce a single five star recruit

Shane Warne Delivery GIF

Edited by tx 3 putt

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Modi/BJP to start elections soon. Gamblers are predicting a landslide, for a 3rd term, which is almost unprecedented, but he's that popular. His opponents are concerned he will veer into dictatorship if he is elected by the landslide.

Saw a stat over 49 MILLION new voters since the last election (turning of age) in India. The whole election process takes like 6 weeks and costs $8 Billion dollars, there are so many people and places.

Crazy.

Oh, and India is still funding Russia and not even hiding it in the West's face, which is indirectly killing Ukranians and costing the West a ton of money in aid and support. Doesn't seem like there are plans to stop either.

Edited by BeardIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Modi/BJP to start elections soon. Gamblers are predicting a landslide, for a 3rd term, which is almost unprecedented, but he's that popular. His opponents are concerned he will veer into dictatorship if he is elected by the landslide.

Saw a stat over 49 MILLION new voters since the last election (turning of age) in India. The whole election process takes like 6 weeks and costs $8 Billion dollars, there are so many people and places.

Crazy.

Oh, and India is still funding Russia and not even hiding it in the West's face, which is indirectly killing Ukranians and costing the West a ton of money in in aid and support. Doesn't seem like there are plans to stop either.

India doesn’t really give a shit about sustaining the old world order. Their aversion to the west due to colonialism isn’t surprising but also something that can really present a thorn when it comes to US foreign policy…. Which is crazy due to the fact that they’re the worlds largest democracy.

4 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

India doesn’t really give a shit about sustaining the old world order. Their aversion to the west due to colonialism isn’t surprising but also something that can really present a thorn when it comes to US foreign policy…. Which is crazy due to the fact that they’re the worlds largest democracy.

Two things:

Modi’s party is also proposing some ideas at home that’ll grab attention:

A Unified Civil Code (UCC) - Indians are already subject to common criminal law, but personal matters like marriage, divorce and inheritance are often left to individual communities and faiths to regulate. The idea of bringing that under a single law rattles some of India’s minority groups

Modi is also adding a dash of inspiration, with promises such as putting an Indian on the Moon and bidding to host the 2036 Summer Olympics.

India wants to be grown up and be a global superpower who isn't beholden to be a US puppet or a China puppet and they've been able to flaunt their funding Russia's war in our faces thus far.

And to your point, 970 million Indians are expected to vote in the world's largest democracy, BUT, to hear opponents tell it, they think he's taking India into dangerous waters with his cult of personality (ahem, an Indian Trump?):

This level of one-party dominance in India’s political system was unthinkable just a few years ago. So then… what changed? It’s Modi. He has a charisma and confidence that resonates with India’s Hindu-majority population.

That’s why this 75-page manifesto is light on detail, but heavy on Modi (his photo is on almost every page).

Of course, by leaning into India’s Hindu nationalism, Modi has also spooked some folks, with the opposition claiming he’ll amend India’s constitution to ditch the country’s secular roots if he secures the required two-thirds parliamentary majority. For his part, Modi says this speculation is “meaningless”.

https://www.bjp.org/pressreleases/bjps-manifesto-general-election-2024-bjp-sankalp-patra-2024

4 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Crazy.

Oh, and India is still funding Russia and not even hiding it in the West's face, which is indirectly killing Ukranians and costing the West a ton of money in aid and support. Doesn't seem like there are plans to stop either.

In another thread you said you wanted to end support and telegraph it, right?  Did I read it wrong

On 7/3/2023 at 1:52 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

As a huge fan of Saag Paneer, I welcome our new Indian overlords.

Fuck yea! Homemade yogurt, paneer, and saag paneer! 
They can keep that devil’s dung, though. Something is off about that stuff and I ain’t having it in my kitchen. Fetid ass is an appropriate name.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

In another thread you said you wanted to end support and telegraph it, right?  Did I read it wrong

I want other countries to bear the brunt, but that doesn't mean I am not pro-Ukraine. I get that Cloak Room only sees binary shades of black and white (which is ironic given the sheer number of non-binary posters who dominate the Cloak Room), but one can want to offset USA's responsibilities to EU/NATO countries and still be anti-Russia.

Especially when USA is going to ALSO have to be giving support to Israel, and potentially how much and how long who knows if they respond to Iran, etc. etc.

I don't like being the world's Miss Havisham but especially in this case, India has been actively working against Ukraine/The West unapologetically. That is undebatable. Their purchasing of Russian gasoline has been proven to be a large part of the bolstering of Russia's economy in the face of massive sanctions meant to disable them, and directly fuels their war machine which is currently crunching up Ukraine's countryside.

Edited by BeardIP
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I want other countries to bear the brunt, but that doesn't mean I am not pro-Ukraine. I get that Cloak Room only sees binary shades of black and white (which is ironic given the sheer number of non-binary posters who dominate the Cloak Room), but one can want to offset USA's responsibilities to EU/NATO countries and still be anti-Russia.

Especially when USA is going to ALSO have to be giving support to Israel, and potentially how much and how long who knows if they respond to Iran, etc. etc.

I don't like being the world's Miss Havisham but especially in this case, India has been actively working against Ukraine/The West unapologetically.

"I don't support the only scenario in which Ukraine can win, but that doesn't mean I'm not pro-Ukraine, guys." GTFO. 

Two questions. 
1.) Exactly how many non binary posters do you think post in the CR?
2.) What Percentage would you consider necessary to be categorized as "dominant?"

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

image.gif.32788226b9d3fdb30aa0d784efd32f33.gif

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

I wonder why any of you engage the bear dip troll.

Becuase not everyone is all that familiar with the guy, lots of posters don't even read handles when they read posts. So to swat this stupid motherfucker's shit when we see it is worthwhile. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Those who think the US is overburdened in its support of Ukraine are sorely mistaken.

Here's the chart showing the GDP percentage for each country:

https://app.23degrees.io/view/F1tc2gv8QzFCs1ij-bar-stacked-horizontal-figure_3_4_csv_v2-1

Estonia               4.1%
Denmark            3.0%
Lithuania            2.0%
Norway               1.7%
Latvia                  1.7%
Netherlands        1.5%
Slovakia               1.4%
Poland                 1.3%
Finland                 1.3%
Germany              1.1%
Croatia                 1.0%
Bulgaria               1.0%
Sweden                1.0%
Czech Republic    1.0%
Belgium               1.0%
Spain                    0.9%
Austria                  0.8%
Greece                  0.8%
Slovenia                0.7%    
Hungary               0.7%
Italy                      0.7%
France                  0.7%
Romania              0.6%
Portugal               0.6%
Cyprus                  0.6%
United Kingdom   0.6%
Luxembourg          0.6%
Malta                     0.5%
Ireland                   0.4%
Switzerland            0.3%
Canada                  0.3%
UNITED STATES    0.3%
Japan                     0.2%
Iceland                   0.2%
South Korea          0.1%

@BeardIP I expect you to return and apologize for being so wrong in assuming other countries aren't also shouldering their burden.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Those who think the US is overburdened in its support of Ukraine are sorely mistaken.

Here's the chart showing the GDP percentage for each country:

https://app.23degrees.io/view/F1tc2gv8QzFCs1ij-bar-stacked-horizontal-figure_3_4_csv_v2-1

Estonia               4.1%
Denmark            3.0%
Lithuania            2.0%
Norway               1.7%
Latvia                  1.7%
Netherlands        1.5%
Slovakia               1.4%
Poland                 1.3%
Finland                 1.3%
Germany              1.1%
Croatia                 1.0%
Bulgaria               1.0%
Sweden                1.0%
Czech Republic    1.0%
Belgium               1.0%
Spain                    0.9%
Austria                  0.8%
Greece                  0.8%
Slovenia                0.7%    
Hungary               0.7%
Italy                      0.7%
France                  0.7%
Romania              0.6%
Portugal               0.6%
Cyprus                  0.6%
United Kingdom   0.6%
Luxembourg          0.6%
Malta                     0.5%
Ireland                   0.4%
Switzerland            0.3%
Canada                  0.3%
UNITED STATES    0.3%
Japan                     0.2%
Iceland                   0.2%
South Korea          0.1%

@BeardIP I expect you to return and apologize for being so wrong in assuming other countries aren't also shouldering their burden.

Let's take this conversation to the other Ukraine thread, where it will be more interesting.

Can anyone explain why so many people want to divert and deflect the conversation away (for example, the last dozen replies) from India actively fueling Russia's war machine and indirectly killing Ukranians and not want to address or talk about that (as it is germane to this thread topic)? Serious question.

Do people just not know and follow modern India and geopolitics and have an outdated 1990's idea of India being docile as a Hindu cow with sad sap tech support stereotypes?

Outside of ignorance, I can't understand why more people are talking about this and pressuring India to stop being so selfish.

Edited by BeardIP

Lol. America can only fight so many battles at once. China, Ukraine, now the Middle East. They're one of the largest ecnomies in the world, and they're not militantly annexing or declaring war on any other nations...yet. You're right, lets slap them with tarrifs and sanctions becuase they buy russian oil. Great fucking idea. 

You'd be the first knob screaming "look what Biden did to our economy" when that happened. 

• Hook 'Em 5