2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

Berners not happy with Nate and this take:

My hope is Biden drops off completely before Iowa and we get a more organic primary.  Because Biden is not even close to the best candidate available, like shouldn’t even be in the top five, it becomes more obvious by the day.  Booker, Klobuchar, and Gillibrand are better candidates than Biden. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

404da8b26cd66a51e022a5d110691b68.jpg

This is the current front runner to face Trump and save America.  How is this even possible?!?  If establishment darling Hillary was trying to pull this shit the press would be crucifying her for daaaaays. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

6 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

404da8b26cd66a51e022a5d110691b68.jpg

In the top 4, only Harris is uniquely able to bring up age and the presidency’s affect on a president’s Mental health and how it ages a potential candidate in their 70s already. Neither Warren nor Bernie can bring it up. 

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

In the top 4, only Harris is uniquely able to bring up age and the presidency’s affect on a president’s Mental health and how it ages a potential candidate in their 70s already. Neither Warren nor Bernie can bring it up. 

Do you think she should push this angle on the campaign?  It would be challenging to thread this needle without coming off agist, desperate, and/or alienating of older voters.   

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Do you think she should push this angle on the campaign?  It would be challenging to thread this needle without coming off agist, desperate, and/or alienating of older voters.   

Someone should. This country doesn’t need to have to choose between 2 people in their 70s. The presidency is the most stressful job in the world.

should also add the last 2 successfully elected Democrats were 46 and 47. 

Edited by Js1

After the last debate, CNN had informal sitdowns with most/all of the candidates. They had discussions that were much more compelling than the actual debate, imo.

The candidates had time to voice their views and open up more, showing their personalities. I would watch something like this where the top 5-10 candidates got together in a room and just talked. I guess candidates view this as fairly risky and having several potential pitfalls. idk.

Edited by retread

Just now, Js1 said:

The presidency is the most stressful job in the world.

Not if you play golf all day and don’t give a fuck. 

The age thing should be evaluated on a case by case basis.  It should also apply the other way with candidates like Pete who somehow has the wisdom of Henry Kissinger. 

Guess who ran for public office first: Pete Buttigieg, Kamala Harris, or Elizabeth Warren

Out of those three, guess who ran for public office last.

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

We're gonna have over 10 candidates make the next debate. So they'll split it into 2 nights with 5-6 (7 at the max) candidates on the stage. The first 2 debates were worthless so it'll be nice to see these people have some breathing room to state their case. 

If Biden and Warren aren’t on the same stage, fuck that shit. 

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The age thing should be evaluated on a case by case basis.  It should also apply the other way with candidates like Pete who somehow has the wisdom of Henry Kissinger. 

Guess who ran for public office first: Pete Buttigieg, Kamala Harris, or Elizabeth Warren

Good point. Pete is too old to run for President. 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Lol why does it matter when someone ran? Different situations. 

9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I don’t agree with this take because Bernie still adds value to the race as a flamethrower to the establishment.

But if you want to see the Bernie bros lose their shit in the replies...

AOC tweeted glowing praise for Bernie's response on Israel, and the comments are all trashing her for not praising him more strongly, and condemning her for probably endorsing Warren soon, who they hate because she didn't endorse Bernie in 2016.  Sigh. 

21 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

AOC tweeted glowing praise for Bernie's response on Israel, and the comments are all trashing her for not praising him more strongly, and condemning her for probably endorsing Warren soon, who they hate because she didn't endorse Bernie in 2016.  Sigh. 

The militant Berners are their own worst enemy.  I can’t help but lay some blame at Bernie for not tending to his herd better.  

2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

srsly.  what's going on up there.

I am highly skeptical of this heat map.  I mean, look at how dark blue nearly ALL of Alaska is, where no one lives.  Unless the caribou and grizzly bears are donating to Bernie, this map is not legit. 

17 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I am highly skeptical of this heat map.  I mean, look at how dark blue nearly ALL of Alaska is, where no one lives.  Unless the caribou and grizzly bears are donating to Bernie, this map is not legit. 

It's by share not donors. That's probably 10 Bernie supporters and a grizzly that's all in on Inslee.

38 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

chasing texas is a fools errand.  not needed, and not going to happen.

It’s not all about trying to flip Texas.  It’s about making Trump play defense there. The Dems can put Beto on the ticket and campaign hard as fuck in PA, WI, MI, OH with the nominee and Beto. 

Putting Beto or Castro on the ticket costs $0 and makes Texas instantaneously more vulnerable.  This is also a good long term strategy to squeeze the GOP where it hurts them the most.  The GOP cannot credibly maintain power without holding down Texas.  They know this and it’s why they are already desperately throwing resources there. 

The alternate strategic VP picks to Beto/Castro are who?  Sherrod Brown? Tammy Duckworth? Stacey Abrams?  

What advantages do these options have over making Texas a battleground state for the GOP? 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I like Castro as a VP nominee for Warren a LOT more than Beto. Castro has a harder edge and his mother has a better political network in South Texas,  which will be key. Beto would be more complimentary for Harris. 

Castro might make more sense if you want to go for it on flipping Texas but I like Beto better because he has the broader national appeal.  He’s a better in person campaigner, fundraiser, and he resonates better with low information voters.  He’s got the built in charisma, name recognition, and celebrity status Castro has yet to demonstrate. 

26 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

If that were true he would be doing better than he is. He brings things to the table and has some natural ability, but right now he's the guy who lost to Ted Cruz and apologizes constantly. 

He’s doing better than Castro right now.

No one remembers shit about the apology tour and I think it’s safe to say those days are over.  The race against Cruz was the closest Senate race in Texas in 40 years. America also loves a comeback story. 

Beto fucked up early in the presidential campaign by too much grassroots retail politics and not enough exploiting the media.  The new shiny object named Pete Buttigieg ate his lunch during that period.  Pete is now on the outside looking in and Beto is back on the rise. 

The most memorable Beto moments are when he defended the flag kneelers and when he went ballistic on the press after El Paso.  That’s the shit that works best in campaigns these days.  It appears Beto has now found himself in this race and the strategy is to keep it real AF. 

My argument for Beto is he has much more of a proven upside than Castro right now.  

However, this analysis is subject to change should Castro begin to surge and/or Beto royally fucks up. We will just have to see. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Ok, but you’re the one saying Beto’s got broad national appeal and the evidence of that seems flimsy, and his signature win was a loss.

I’m not saying Castro has broad national appeal or even charisma, I’m saying Castro has other qualities that are more crucial to making Texas competitive and on top of that is a better stylistic compliment to Warren than Beto.

10 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Ok, but you’re the one saying Beto’s got broad national appeal and the evidence of that seems flimsy, and his signature win was a loss.

He was a national media rockstar during the midterms.  You can’t pretend this didn’t happen.  

The media attention didn’t translate to a win in Texas (because aggy) but it’s something he can build on for a nationwide election.  The media loves Beto and that’s half the battle these days.  Just look at our current President.

3 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Scroll and read. There are a ton of people saying "endorse Bernie!", but your characterization here is absurd.

#NeverBernies yelled at her for praising Bernie, so 10 minutes later she posted a follow-up Tweet saying, "other candidates are good, too!"

Bernies then responded to that follow-up negatively because it was triangulation. Also, saying Castro is on the "leadership bench" is kind of dumb because... who is he?

The BernieBros are no more or less annoying than any other fanbase.

21 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

#NeverBernies yelled at her for praising Bernie, so 10 minutes later she posted a follow-up Tweet saying, "other candidates are good, too!"

This interpretation of what went down says a lot.

I saw it as her responding to the BernieBros demanding fealty to Bernie.

30 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Scroll and read. There are a ton of people saying "endorse Bernie!", but your characterization here is absurd.

Bernies then responded to that follow-up negatively because it was triangulation. Also, saying Castro is on the "leadership bench" is kind of dumb because... who is he?

The BernieBros are no more or less annoying than any other fanbase.

I'm not sure what about my characterization you are claiming is absurd.  She praised Bernie for his enormous political courage and said we're lucky to have him and Warren and Castro.   Those were very positive comments about Bernie to any reasonable observer.

Commenters called her "disappointing" and a "coward" and said "you get worse by the day" (with tons of likes) and said they were "heartbroken" because the "language" of her praise for Bernie was too "defensive," and not "unequivocal" and made "concessions" about other candidates.    And they criticized her for being about to "pull a Warren on us," warned of the consequences "if you endorse anyone other than Bernie," and made a bunch of posts about why Warren is much worse than Bernie. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

He was a national media rockstar during the midterms.  You can’t pretend this didn’t happen.  
The media attention didn’t translate to a win in Texas (because aggy) but it’s something he can build on for a nationwide election.  The media loves Beto and that’s half the battle these days.  Just look at our current President.

It’s less of an asset than you think, it depends on the value proposition of the brand.

Trump wasn’t just a “media rockstar”. Trump is a consumer brand that was built around morally dubious and preposterous but complete victory despite being declared dead multiple times over the course of decades. That’s his value prop. He wins.

Beto was the earnest guy who fought the good fight and did better than average in a losing effort. Beto’s value prop is that he seems nice.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’m not saying Castro has broad national appeal or even charisma, I’m saying Castro has other qualities that are more crucial to making Texas competitive and on top of that is a better stylistic compliment to Warren than Beto.

I tend to agree with this, but Beto on the ticket MIGHT have a shot at pulling enough conservative-leaning suburban wives to the Dems to swing the state. Houston and Dallas burbs are full of women that love Beto and probably won't like Castro for...reasons.  I don't think the Dems should be focusing on finally this time actually winning the votes of suburban wives, but if they continue chasing that dragon I think Beto fits that strategy better than Castro.

9 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I'm not sure what about my characterization you are claiming is absurd.

Because this isn't even close to being true:

... and the comments are all trashing her for not praising him more strongly, and condemning her for probably endorsing Warren soon ...

There are a few "trashing her" and a few "condemning her", but they are in the minority.

There are a FLOOD of "endorse Bernie" tweets, though.