2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Obama barely beat Hillary Clinton

Which was a near miracle for someone in his position going against her structural advantages. 

Beto is the only one in the possible field who has what Obama had.  But without a few years in the Senate under his belt, I don't think he can pull off anything more than VP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I'm going to change my name to Super PAC and start donating money to Democratic candidates and tank their campaigns. Oh really Ms. Harris, you don't accept Super PAC money? Well how do you explain this: (I ride in on a motorized scooter waiving tiny American flags with a t-shirt that says SUPER PAC and start throwing money on the stage). 

or the online gov sites shows funding by "Super Pac" of Abiline, TX. 

Jesus. This Buttigieg guy is easily the most consistent and coherent progressive politician I've heard maybe in my entire lifetime. I'm only 12 minutes into this interview and his ability to clearly communicate his beliefs within a thoughtful, logical, and (yes) moral framework just fucking blows everyone else out of the water.

He doesn't dodge and isn't afraid to just dive into the really deep end of the pool to explain how his underlying philosophy of the fundamentals drives his decision making. The dude has a simply solid foundation from which he can riff on almost any policy topic. I've got a serious man-crush on him (no homo - NTTAWWT).

Edited by bolverk
redundancy is redundant
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Jesus. This Buttigieg guy is easily the most consistent and coherent progressive politician I've heard maybe in my entire lifetime. I'm only 12 minutes into this interview and his ability to clearly communicate his beliefs within a thoughtful, logical, and (yes) moral framework just fucking blows everyone else out of the water.

He doesn't dodge and isn't afraid to just dive into the really deep end of the pool to explain how his underlying philosophy of the fundamentals drives his decision making. The dude has a simply solid foundation from which he can riff on almost any policy topic. I've got a serious man-crush on him (no homo - NTTAWWT).

Word. 

He excites my cold, cynical heart. The dude is a political prodigy and exactly the antidote we need right now. 

Obviously the vast majority of people aware of Buttigieg are giving him high praise, but many are saying he should be a VP candidate or future Senator. FUCK THAT. We need him as POTUS in 2020. 

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

half homo, and i'm secure enough to say that.  finna drive to houston, thanks for the heads up on that podcast.

I'm growing warmer on the idea of Warren paired with someone like Beto or Buttigieg.

This is about where I fall when I combine both the practical (meaning within the realm of possibly being elected) and ideological (meaning where my core beliefs lie). And, to be honest, I personally like Buttigieg's positions more than Beto even though I'll freely admit my bias toward Beto due to being able to personally relate to him as a progressive Texan who's only about 15 months younger than me.

I'm probably out of touch, but Beto brings the inspiration and Buttigieg brings the policy chops (which, in and of itself, are inspirational to me). Both would couple really well with Warren among the Democratic base, I think. I no longer pretend to know what combo would be the best bet against the Orange Beast.

23 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Word. 

He excites my cold, cynical heart. The dude is a political prodigy and exactly the antidote we need right now. 

Obviously the vast majority of people aware of Buttigieg are giving him high praise, but many are saying he should be a VP candidate or future Senator. FUCK THAT. We need him as POTUS in 2020. 

Buttigieg is great.  I love him and I would vote for him in a heartbeat over any republican but I would be lying if I said I didn’t have some legitimate concerns with him becoming president in 2021.

For one, due to inexperience, he would need more on the job training than most other candidates.  He doesn’t have much experience in dealing with the sharks in Congress or the other snakes inside the beltway.  It’s not a dealbreaker but I feel like he would be vulnerable to getting eaten alive by the machine.  He hasn’t done a whole lot to earn these peoples’ respect.  This was also an under appreciated shortcoming with Obama.  I fear he would balk in moments when he needed to put his foot down.  

Again, I’m not trying to rip on the guy but these are factors I consider when evaluating a potential president.  I’d also like to see how he manages a real setback or a loss.  IMO leaders are better defined by how they handle adversity than success. 

I’m glad he’s running and I hope he gets his ideas and messaging out to as many people as possible but let’s not pretend he’s a flawless candidate.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I fear he would balk in moments when he needed to put his foot down.  

I understand where your hesitation is coming from due to his age and lack of DC experience, but imho this particular fear shouldn't be based on whatever lack of experience he has. Decisiveness doesn't necessarily emanate from experience. On the contrary, some of the most "experienced" people I know are the least decisive because of their experience/expertise within a specific field.

48 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I've tossed Buttigieg and Warren some funds. Really hope Pete gains some steam... 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The blue wall flips back.  It's going to flip back for just about any D candidate in 2020.  

The end.

How does she flip it back?

The lesson we learn from 2016 cannot be, "Oh it'll be fine this time don't worry about it". If that's the takeaway from 2016 then shut this stupid nation down and put up a For Sale sign.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Think about potential electoral maps and where the candidates have appeal and messages? What is wrong with doing that? Isn't the whole point to win?

Because there are too many undetermined variables this far out.  How is the economy doing?  Is Trump even on the ticket?  What about Pence? Did Trump start a war in Venezuela? Is Kamala Harris pregnant? 

It is a waste of time. 

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Because there are too many undetermined variables this far out.  How is the economy doing?  Is Trump even on the ticket?  What about Pence? Did Trump start a war in Venezuela?

And those variables apply to the race at large, which is not what primaries are about. Primaries are about picking candidates (Hence: "2020 Democratic Nominee")

I don't see Harris's map. If someone else does, I'd like them to show it to me and explain it.

If you won't/can't, that's fine, but some of us are interested in actually winning.

It is a waste of time. 

You have over 15,000 posts. What on earth are you even talking about?

19 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

270toWin

Start with "2016 Actual" and someone make me a Kamala Harris map that wins.

There are a ton of paths to victory for Harris. That map with Arizona, North Carolina, and Michigan gives her 270. I think that's easily attainable, and gives Donald Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, which I think is unlikely 

• Like 1

Buttigieg is great.  I love him and I would vote for him in a heartbeat over any republican but I would be lying if I said I didn’t have some legitimate concerns with him becoming president in 2021.
 For one, due to inexperience, he would need more on the job training than most other candidates.  He doesn’t have much experience in dealing with the sharks in Congress or the other snakes inside the beltway.  It’s not a dealbreaker but I feel like he would be vulnerable to getting eaten alive by the machine.  He hasn’t done a whole lot to earn these peoples’ respect.  This was also an under appreciated shortcoming with Obama.  I fear he would balk in moments when he needed to put his foot down.  
Again, I’m not trying to rip on the guy but these are factors I consider when evaluating a potential president.  I’d also like to see how he manages a real setback or a loss.  IMO leaders are better defined by how they handle adversity than success. 
I’m glad he’s running and I hope he gets his ideas and messaging out to as many people as possible but let’s not pretend he’s a flawless candidate.  

Donald Trumo will need more on the job training in his eighth year than anyone in the field will need on day one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just... what? Who? What?

After you listen to substantive, clear-minded, clear-eyed people like Warren and Buttigieg and this shit just feels depressing. It's like she has none of her own thoughts or beliefs and is just filtering through policies like a whale's baleen filtering krill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Just... what? Who? What?

After you listen to substantive, clear-minded, clear-eyed people like Warren and Buttigieg and this shit just feels depressing. It's like she has none of her own thoughts or beliefs and is just filtering through policies like a whale's baleen filtering krill.

Bruh, come on. You compare anyone to Warren and especially Buttigieg and they are going to sound meh. Unfortunately Pistol Pete is a teenager and Warren is about as exciting as a prostate exam. Those are by far my two favorites, but I just don't see it happening. I thought Harris sounded pretty authentic and down to earth in that clip. 

• Like 2

I’m discouraged that Kamala is a serious contender right now compared to some others. 

It seems like her strategy is just to appease everyone on the left by checking boxes without authentically believing in some of these policies. 

Frankly, she just sounds full of shit a lot of the time. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

She objectively checks the most boxes for a successful bid for the Democratic nomination.

1.  She’s a person of color which gives her an advantage in the southern states where the minority demographic carries serious weight.

2.  She’s a woman which is also an asset among Democratic primary voters.

3.  She’s not old. 

4. She has a career of public service.

5. She’s from California which gives her another huge advantage when it comes to winning that state in the primary.

However, when it comes to real substance and ideas that separates her from the pack, there’s not a lot there yet.

My dream ticket is Kamala - Beto. But I’m thinking it could be Joe - Kamala.

Joe first ran for president the year before AOC was born. (1988)

That petty, thin-skinned defensive grandstanding? That's Joe Biden. It sucked.

20 years later, he tried again. And sucked again. (lol @ "we" don't have enough leaders in the (black) community and Sharpton's glare at the idea of this white man "confronting" the men and women of the black community, Jesus Christ)

Joe sucks. It's not because I'm a Bernie moron (which I am), but I've seen this guy try this multiple times and he sucks at it and he'd be a national joke.

Look, maybe he's awesome now. I guess we'll find out. Hopefully he rules now.

I doubt it, though.

• Like 1

I've been saying Joe should sit this one out, but now I actually hope he runs. It will be a nice refresher that these lifelong establishment politicians with decades and decades in Congress are exactly what we don't need moving forward. Especially as a Presidential candidate in 2020. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

We are 365 days away from Super Tuesday!

2020 Primary Schedule

2/3 - Iowa
2/11 - New Hampshire
2/22 - Nevada
2/29 - South Carolina
3/3 - Super Tuesday (Alabama, California, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, and Virginia)
3/7 - Louisiana
3/10 - Michigan, Mississippi, and Ohio
3/17 - Arizona, Florida, and Illinois
(Colorado)
4/7 - Wisconsin
4/28 - Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island
5/5 - Indiana
5/12 - West Virginia
5/19 - Arkansas, Kentucky, and Oregon
6/2 - Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, and South Dakota

7/13-16 - Democratic National Convention (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)

11/3 - General Presidential Election