2023 U20 World Cup

Bottlecap

30 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'm not sure that any contract that the league in Northern Macedonia gives out could be considered sizable, but good for him.

LOL Cowell is a legit player. Not big 5 starter but he'll play in a legitimate league somewhere. Worst case he turns into a star in the MLS. 

51 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Considering that NZ has only scored 3 goals all tournament, I think we were safe at 2, 3 should seal it.

Also considering we have yet to concede.

This team can beat anyone in this tourney. Uruguay is going to be tough, though. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

LOL Cowell is a legit player. Not big 5 starter but he'll play in a legitimate league somewhere. Worst case he turns into a star in the MLS. 

I like him a lot and watch SJ play quite a bit as they're on after the Austin FC disappointment of the week pretty regularly. He's really active, but hasn't found his groove in the back of the net often. 

Both announcers call him “Justin Che” here.

Spanish speaking announcers like to have fun when announcing the matches and the Argies are the standard for this. 

My guess is that Cantor was just havin’ a laugh with the audience when he would refer to him as “Che, Justin.” because Argies use “Che” like “Dude” + “hey” combined. Kind of a word to get your attention when talking. 

He was probably making his background the joke, calling the game where he’s speaking like a typical Argentine. 

Remember: The tournament is being held IN Argentina, so the fans in the stands are probably saying his name the same way. 🇦🇷 

image.thumb.jpeg.53d1667631cb05f03fdace822eca358f.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

I like him a lot and watch SJ play quite a bit as they're on after the Austin FC disappointment of the week pretty regularly. He's really active, but hasn't found his groove in the back of the net often. 

He’s a player I would send to Holland immediately for the next two years. I might say that for a lot of our youth players but especially ones like him. All of the size and strength that you could ask for at his age but needs to work on how to slow things down, gain the finesse, and build confidence.
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Both announcers call him “Justin Che” here.

Spanish speaking announcers like to have fun when announcing the matches and the Argies are the standard for this. 

My guess is that Cantor was just havin’ a laugh with the audience when he would refer to him as “Che, Justin.” because Argies use “Che” like “Dude” + “hey” combined. Kind of a word to get your attention when talking. 

He was probably making his background the joke, calling the game where he’s speaking like a typical Argentine. 

Remember: The tournament is being held IN Argentina, so the fans in the stands are probably saying his name the same way. 🇦🇷 

image.thumb.jpeg.53d1667631cb05f03fdace822eca358f.jpeg

I was referring to the announcer on Fox Sports.

3 hours ago, alincoln said:

Damn.  France had 28 player requests rejected for this tournament by clubs

France couple probably place 1st & 2nd in this tournament. 

They have far and away the best player development program in the world these days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

fifa.com seems to indicate we play on sunday

Our schedule, should we continue on:

June 4 - vs Gambia-Uruguay winner
June 8 - Semi-final
June 11 - Final or 3rd place game

11 hours ago, alincoln said:

Damn.  France had 28 player requests rejected for this tournament by clubs

Anderson Cooper Crying GIF

Oh darn, I feel so bad for them.

colombia smoked the slovaks 5-1 today so that result for us is now less impressive

the next datapoint for us will be ecuador v. korea team fighting in the last r16 game tomorrow

other r16:

yesterday israel on 97' 1-0 over uzbeks

today brazil smoked tunisia 4-1

argentina/nigeria and england/italy both at 4pm today

I checked the U20 scores and it was halftime:

🇦🇷 ARG 0 - 0 Nigeria 🇳🇬 

🇮🇹 Italy 0 - 0 England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

Argentina had about 10 shots, maybe 1 or 2 in goal. I think Nigeria had like 1 shot and it wasn’t on goal. 

Then I just checked this…

image.thumb.jpeg.21b104730ea1112ae646571f8eb11e55.jpeg

This is not going to go over well in Argentina. Pobre Mascherano. 

• Like 1

The Gambia 2.4 million people.

Uruguay* 3.4 million people.

That is probably the lowest combined population in a U20 World Cup knockout stage match in years. 

Slovakia (5.4M) vs Fiji (0.926M) in the group stage was pretty damned close.  

*officially “República Oriental del Uruguay”, which means the “Oriental Republic of Uruguay” or the “Eastern Republic of Uruguay”

6 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Was it legit or did it strike you as a case of the match ref looking for an excuse to balance the sides?

No clue, I was just watching the scoreboard. I saw 2 red cards up on there.

Just two things watching the clips:

https://www.plus.fifa.com/en/content/gambia-v-uruguay-round-of-16-fifa-u-20-world-cup-argentina-2023tm-highlights-2023/380ccec6-bbde-41ed-9df2-4e1e1a7d2e59?gl=us (not youtube, that sucks)

Another clip here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ead4sxE-J6g 

A. I love the fact that they announce the result of the VAR. Makes a huge difference.

B. Watching both plays: (Gambia's red 0:09 in, Uruguay's 0:40 in 2nd clip - Gambia first play on the clip, Uruguay 1:35) I am not sure I agree with either red card (in what is shown). I think the Gambia player got his cleat stuck and then it just flys up as he pulls it from the ground (very lucky to not destroy his knee). And the Uruguay player, I don't see enough in the replay to say that's a definitive red. That all said, I certainly CAN see why reds were given and given more replay, I think you might be able to say those are red cards.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Like 1

Men In Blazers email newsletter had a piece up on the U20 team:

ii. Godspeed Baby Baby Eagles 🇺🇸 🦅 USA U20 v Uruguay U20 🇺🇸🇺🇾 (Sunday, 5 PM ET FS2)

Our U.S. U20's face Uruguay in the quarterfinals of the U20 World Cup. Our gents have not so much as conceded a goal at this tournament after smashing New Zealand 4-0 in the round of 16. This is the fourth U20 World Cup in a row that the U.S. has reached the quarter final stage. We will try to reach the semifinals for just the second time and first since 1989. For all we malign our youth development in this nation, there is a lot going right in those MLS academies. Godspeed to our Boys.

I have thought about our result vs Slovakia and Slovakia’s loss in the knockout round. 

IMG_2765.thumb.jpeg.3470a095542d7c8b7598470eaa8be8dd.jpeg

vs

IMG_2764.thumb.jpeg.bdf49f413de709c935eb2031012133aa.jpeg

The difference is that of Slovakia was going to lose, they didn’t want to lose by much. They would expect to lose to the USA, but they needed to stay compact and give up the fewest goals possible. 

But against Los Colombianos, they had to win, bitch. If they gave up a goal, they had to get that motherfucker back.

Colombia didn’t score their first until the second half. (We scored in the first half.) Then Colombia scored 2 minutes later and 2 minutes after that. Slovakia was in turmoil and gave up another goal 11 minutes after that, because they had to keep playing for a win. Their substitutions had to be to sacrifice defense for attack. 

If this were a group stage match, it may have ended 1-0 or 2-0, but like in hockey, when it is a must win, you sacrifice defense for offense and sometimes you get burned. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah the shot and possession difference is very similar as well.

I'm not worried about any transitive property stuff in a competition like this. These kids are a bunch of teenagers. They aren't going to be super consistent game to game. 

When we play our best 90 minutes we are a motherfucker to beat, especially if you come out flat against these guys. 

On the flip side, if we come out flat and let someone get hot against us we're plenty capable of losing to a worse team. 

So far, though, we've done more of the former and less of the latter. 

I saw that Israel-Brazil went to OT tied 1-1. Both teams scored early in OT for 2-2. And just before the OT halftime Israel went up 3-2. That’s where we’re at.

Telemundo if you want to watch (well fox soccer plus). 

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm not worried about any transitive property stuff in a competition like this. These kids are a bunch of teenagers. They aren't going to be super consistent game to game. 

Case in point. Lol.

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Israel wins 3-2. There were some damn good goals in this one. The winner was some great solo play in the box.

US-Uruguay winner gets Israel. They aren’t an easy out. Israel controlled the game a lot when I watched. 

Jew are sheeting me!

¡Oy caramba!

Argentina has the largest Jewish population in Latin America, so if it’s an Israel 🇮🇱 v Italia 🇮🇹 final in Buenos Aires, it’s going to be WWII Part 2!

Remember: “Ghetto” is an Italian word that was used for the Jewish part of town in something like Florence or Venice or wherever. 

From Wiki:
The term was originally used for the Venetian Ghetto in VeniceItaly, as early as 1516, to describe the part of the city where Jewish people were restricted to live and thus segregated from other people. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghetto#:~:text=A ghetto is a part,other areas of the city.

Edited by Napoleon