2023 U20 World Cup

Bottlecap

42 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Really, really shitty defending there. 

I just saw the first half highlights and Justin Che seems like he sucks. He was 90% responsible for that goal. That leaping lunge was fucking idiotic.

16 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Totally not a foul.

Anytime an Uruguayan goes to ground, it's a whistle against the US. Luna was fouled about 10 minutes ago, but only met with silence.

Not blaming the match referee for the current deficit. Just noting that he's not being even.

That late foul in midfield was absolutely a foul by the Uruguayan player after the American kid had kicked the ball away, but then the Uruguayo rolled on the ground like a Spaniard, Italian, Argentine, Mexican and got the whistle. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

That late foul in midfield was absolutely a foul by the Uruguayan player after the American kid had kicked the ball away, but then the Uruguayo rolled on the ground like a Spaniard, Italian, Argentine, Mexican and got the whistle. 

Yes, I should've been more specific: totally not a foul on the U.S. Clean, well-timed tackle that got punished cuz the ref was naive.

MERGED:

Just too many fucking touches. Stop dancing with the ball in front of a pair of defenders.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I just saw the first half highlights and Justin Che seems like he sucks. He was 90% responsible for that goal. That leaping lunge was fucking idiotic.

Yeah he's not great. He also has a really stupid shot attempt in the first couple mins. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Defending and scoring for them. Nice. 

Really couldn't have played any worse tonight. Such is U20 sometimes. 

1 minute ago, shnsajax said:

Pukatas blocks a Cowell goal.

We have our offensive players making great defensive stops… for Uruguay.

And our defensive players making pivotal offensive plays… for Uruguay.

—————

Good for the USA for not stopping when a player goes down. If it is tied or a team is winning team has a player go down, the other team should never stop the game if there is even a question that the downed player is stalling. 

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Defending and scoring for them. Nice. 

Really couldn't have played any worse tonight. Such is U20 sometimes. 

I certainly have seen a lot of these guys be young in this tournament. Not just our guys, but across the board. Mistakes, misplays, etc. EDIT: The really shitty passing (Today we are a mess here)

But it also feels like that we just aren't playing the game that got us here. I felt like we were more direct and attacking. I don't see it today. It does feel like Berhalter ball.

Edited by Captain Ron

Very deserved win for Uruguay. Absolutely dominating performance. A little luck, sure, but they were well organized and super disciplined on defense. Obvious strategy was to defend, exploit counter, and selectively press high.

Meanwhile, for the U.S., it was a lot of meaningless possession that ultimately culminated with an errant entry pass or dribbling into too many defenders. Biggest concern for me was all the extra touches. Much too deliberate going toward goal.

Anyway, congrats to the La Celeste.

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

The team you said this about did not show up today. Players or coaches.

Just kept shooting ourselves in the dick. Equal shot attempts, 2/3 possession, better pass accuracy. Sometimes the other team is just better and you live with it but they really aren't. They capitalized on one bad mistake we made and let us do the rest.

They seem better coached. I'll say that.

Oh well. Decent run I guess. 

7 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Very deserved win for Uruguay. Absolutely dominating performance. A little luck, sure, but they were well organized and super disciplined on defense. Obvious strategy was to defend, exploit counter, and selectively press high.

Meanwhile, for the U.S., it was a lot of meaningless possession that ultimately culminated with an errant entry pass or dribbling into too many defenders. Biggest concern for me was all the extra touches. Much too deliberate going toward goal.

Anyway, congrats to the La Celeste.

did not feel dominated but that's my view

5 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

The US got out coached?  Shocking.

up a goal and park the bus?  brilliant!

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Just kept shooting ourselves in the dick. Equal shot attempts, 2/3 possession, better pass accuracy. Sometimes the other team is just better and you live with it but they really aren't. They capitalized on one bad mistake we made and let us do the rest.

They seem better coached. I'll say that.

Oh well. Decent run I guess. 

Are you talking about US Uruguay or Austin FC v Real Salt Lake?

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

did not feel dominated but that's my view

up a goal and park the bus?  brilliant!

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Uruguay was the better side, but agree I definitely didn’t feel like the US was dominated. 

Fair points. I overstated. Just never got the sense the Nats had much threat and that Uruguay could've turned it up/on whenever they wanted.

Best scoring chance (other than Cowell's bender to far post that Pukstas inadvertently blocked) was a near-open net chance that Cowell had. Instead of lifting it to near post, though, he hit a grounder about two feet inside of the near post that the keeper was juuuust able to get his foot on for a kick save.

All in all, an insipid performance. They definitely were not at their best today.