2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!

Js1

Was nice last night to get Singletary and Miller in the match in the 3rd set, Heinrich in the 2nd set and Wenaas played all the way around towards the end of the 3rd set instead of being subbed out 

Would have liked more Devin but Molly hit .429 (4-1-7) with 3 blocks Friday night and .300 (4-1-10) with 3 blocks last night. Much better than what she’s been doing. 

BYU will be a challenge - Gregory crowd will need to be a factor 

The Mormons will be most fired up Friday night.  Between Pride Night at Gregory Gym and Depeche Mode at Moody Center, both could lead to dancing, drinking, and general buffoonery.  So yes, I'm in.  Between all that and Kansas football, should be a fun weekend on the 40.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

We really take for granted the atmosphere at Gregory. That A&M and Florida match was like 1/4 full for the #4 team in the country. 

Even the ESPN announcers noticed it was like a morgue in there.  Wild.  We bitch about our serve game sometime but woof:

17 errors and 8 aces for UF
12 errors and 10 aces for aggy

At one point in the 2nd set, 3 of aggy's first 5 points were aces. 

Reminder, #10 Texas and #9 BYU square off THURSDAY and FRIDAY in Texas' Big 12 home opener.  Tonight is on FS1 at 8pm.  Tomorrow is LHN at 7pm.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

How is Clarissa so bad at passing the ball

That's been the schtick with Jerritt, doesn't prioritize on passing because he usually has the terminal hitters to put the ball down in out-of-system swings. But there's more parity and teams are developing better hitters.

He doesn't coach them to pass with precision...just to get the ball up, especially on transition defense

8 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

That's been the schtick with Jerritt, doesn't prioritize on passing because he usually has the terminal hitters to put the ball down in out-of-system swings. But there's more parity and teams are developing better hitters.

He doesn't coach them to pass with precision...just to get the ball up, especially on transition defense

yes unfortunately i've seen enough tournament meltdowns to have coach elliott's passing philosophy impressed upon me for life.  i've never seen a libero or DS pass as poorly as clarissa does.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

yes unfortunately i've seen enough tournament meltdowns to have coach elliott's passing philosophy impressed upon me for life.  i've never seen a libero or DS pass as poorly as clarissa does.

Let her serve and then let Jenna play the other 2 rotations for her in the backrow. Because yuck

I'm going to guess that having rosters full of transfers is going to be problematic for us for a while, maybe forever.

It seems that volleyball requires a lot of team cohesiveness and some player leadership, like Eggleston, to hold it all together.  Some of that seems to be the nature of the sport, some may be peculiar to Elliott's teams.

We managed it last year with great leadership from a five-year all-world player, and SKT got to sit a year, essentially, Fleck was a unicorn, and Skinner, Bergmark, and Akana icing on the cake.

Maybe it's just the leadership.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

How is Clarissa so bad at passing the ball

There was no Fleck in the portal this year. I kept saying there's a huge difference between big girl VB and where Barnes came from but no one wanted to hear it. And I kept saying this team will miss Fleck the most. And Ella will be good some day, but setter is the most difficult position for a Freshman just like QB or center in FB. Gonna take some time.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

There was no Fleck in the portal this year. I kept saying there's a huge difference between big girl VB and where Barnes came from but no one wanted to hear it. And I kept saying this team will miss Fleck the most. And Ella will be good some day, but setter is the most difficult position for a Freshman just like QB or center in FB. Gonna take some time.

that's the truth.  

that first set when we were stuck in the rotation with ella at 2, the blonde OH for BYU (#10) was serving some incredible jump floats.  i lost track of how many points in a row they took off her serve, 8? she didn't quite serve like that the rest of the game.

33 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Swindle will have good days and bad days.  But overall, her body of work as a freshman has been very good.  She is an elite blocker.  Her 2nd set solo block was a monster.

29 kills in 38 sets 
9.24 assists per set
13 aces, which leads the team with Madi Skinner
35 blocks, which is 3rd on the team behind Asjia and Bella

She will continue to put it together and learn every single match

• Hook 'Em 1

I haven't had chance to watch the team much this year but caught the match last night.  The biggest drop off, imo, is the chemistry between Swindle and the hitters. Timing just isn't there yet, but that will continue to get better. 

Passing is an issue, but when is it not with Elliot's teams.  As bad (and it was bad) as the passing looked in the first set last night, to their credit, they cleaned it up and passed pretty well the rest of the match.

Just a lot of inconsistent play overall, from passing to setting to blocking.  As has been mentioned, not surprising with new and transfer players coming in this year.  I think they will continue to improve throughout the season and will be quite dangerous come tournament time.

I have to mention this, Skinner's back row attack is lethal!

• Hook 'Em 1

Someone on volleytalk pointed out a specific play where both Emma and Barnes went for a ball. Barnes is probably still adjusting to DS and not libero. It’s not your ball, girl. It’s Emma’s. 

But that doesn’t excuse her serve receive. Track that ball to the sideline, stop staring at it 

Someone on volleytalk pointed out a specific play where both Emma and Barnes went for a ball. Barnes is probably still adjusting to DS and not libero. It’s not your ball, girl. It’s Emma’s. 
But that doesn’t excuse her serve receive. Track that ball to the sideline, stop staring at it 
Was it on a serve receive or a dig?

There was a funny sequence of 3 points in the first set. Point 1, ball was closer to Clarissa than Emma and so Clarissa starts going for it but Emma calls her off but Clarissa pulls off too late. Ball hits the ground in front of clarissa. They laugh it off. Point 2, clarissa backs up a couple steps and the serve is back around the same place and Emma handles it but it's a poor pass and we're out of system. Point byu. Point 3, Emma must have said something harsher because Clarissa is all the way back by the end line. Lol.

• blacklab changed the title to 2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!