Ski Season 2023/2024

texasdago

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Incentive to get better as a skier... I tell my kids this... the better you get, the better it gets...

Crested Butte:

Left side - services mostly greens and blues but can be used to get to other parts of the mountain.  Line.

Right side - services blues, blacks and double diamonds.  No line.

image.thumb.png.fd96ccf79fda5e22b6e724b34820fe36.png

Yup, we got into CB on Wednesday.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m heading to Snowmass Wednesday until Tuesday with the wife and 4 year old.  Haven’t been there in forever and never with a kid.  

Any advice on where to eat, activities besides skiing, best thing to do with a 4 y/o?  Should I start him on a board or ski’s?  Individual lesson or group class?

Open to any suggestions.  

If I were starting from scratch I would probably go board.  I ski because it’s what I know how to do and I’m not gonna waste any mountain time I get learning something new.  At that age stick them in ski school group lessons IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m heading to Snowmass Wednesday until Tuesday with the wife and 4 year old.  Haven’t been there in forever and never with a kid.  

Any advice on where to eat, activities besides skiing, best thing to do with a 4 y/o?  Should I start him on a board or ski’s?  Individual lesson or group class?
Open to any suggestions.  
Drive the new Gwagen. You'll fit right in.
If I were starting from scratch I would probably go board.  I ski because it’s what I know how to do and I’m not gonna waste any mountain time I get learning something new.  At that age stick them in ski school group lessons IMO.
I ski, but snowboarding boots are far more comfortable.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Going to Vail end of this month for 6 days and looking to book one more trip before the season is over. Never skied Jackson Hole. Website shows they've had almost 300" of snow this season and don't close until mid-April. Thoughts on going there end of March or first week of April? 

On 2/18/2024 at 8:48 PM, ftf82 said:

Going to Vail end of this month for 6 days and looking to book one more trip before the season is over. Never skied Jackson Hole. Website shows they've had almost 300" of snow this season and don't close until mid-April. Thoughts on going there end of March or first week of April? 

They have had a MUCH better year snow-wise than Colorado. I have not skied there, but I have only heard good things. I would say the sooner the better, based on sun angle.

Longest ski runs in Europe...

https://maisonsport.com/en/blog/longest-ski-runs-in-europe

Did part of #5 where I skied from the just past the midway point (where you see lifts converge in a valley) since the base was slushy.   Still a nice vertical.

Did most of #6 from the base of those little T-bars on the glacier because they weren't running that day.  Amazing amazing scenery.

Not listed but also did Les Grands Montets from the top of the (pre-fire) cable car to the base which was a nice 6700 ft vertical drop that included skiing on powder on glacial terrain and a leg burner from the mid-station to the base.   Cannot overemphasize my recommendation that if you can ever get to France to go skiing 1) do it after the cable car is rebuilt and 2) make it a point to get a pass for the whole valley and Courmayeur in Italy so you can try different places each day.  We did 1 day in La Tour/Vallorcine, 3 days in Grands Montets, 1 day in Courmayeur and 1 day in St. Gervais Les Bains.  Each was unique in its own way.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 10:06 PM, NWBuck said:

Heading to Purgatory at the end of the month... Anyone been out there this year? 

Durango recommendations appreciated 

Well, no fresh powder (big storm coming Tuesday), but a bluebird day with some groomed black and blue cruisers. 

Beats the hell out of being in the office. 

IMG_20240222_121755.thumb.jpg.511fcb039824bc8dd8c34ffa5ec61208.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1090B977-3989-436D-99AF-E94176F9FB79.thumb.jpeg.58af20fe84ed4f77f7e4eb8b441e6679.jpegDB20A664-410E-4A9B-8C01-4279F98FDA7E.thumb.jpeg.216f43d0b3d9bbbec53444d7b35b494b.jpeg

Sunny springlike conditions in Taos - snow still holding up well considering no snow in last 10 days but def needs a refill.  Looking like Monday thru Wed another much needed  storm is coming !

Photo 1 - Signage at entrance to Kachina Lift which was open today.

Photo 2 - Hunziker Bowl 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah it was windy - bummed that I lost my last ski day of this trip but after 4 beautiful springlike days, yesterday would have been a beating even if not windy as it was overcast and the hard pack would not have softened up like last few days with the sun….on positive note, several waves of storms coming in March !  Main Street off of Kachina:

FA19D7E4-7594-42B2-8760-8F974115300A.thumb.jpeg.dd106bfafbec971e650013adc8005e3d.jpeg

3 hours ago, JCHIL said:

Yeah it was windy - bummed that I lost my last ski day of this trip but after 4 beautiful springlike days, yesterday would have been a beating even if not windy as it was overcast and the hard pack would not have softened up like last few days with the sun….on positive note, several waves of storms coming in March !  Main Street off of Kachina:

FA19D7E4-7594-42B2-8760-8F974115300A.thumb.jpeg.dd106bfafbec971e650013adc8005e3d.jpeg

So, I've only been once and when I was there, Kachina was not open but man, main street looks really really straightforward.  Truth?

2 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Going to Denver for work tomorrow and I've got almost a full day on Thursday with nothing on the calendar until dinner. I've been trying to figure out a way to squeeze in a day at Loveland, but I don't think I can make it happen.

What time do you land and where is your dinner relative to Loveland?  I know today is the big dump.  Is it supposed to still be snowing tomorrow?  Not sure if a lot of people are going to be "sick" tomorrow trying to get to the mountains.  

I have never been there but is farting around at Echo Mountain an option?  https://echomtn.com/mountain-conditions 

4 minutes ago, texasdago said:

So, I've only been once and when I was there, Kachina was not open but man, main street looks really really straightforward.  Truth?

What time do you land and where is your dinner relative to Loveland?  I know today is the big dump.  Is it supposed to still be snowing tomorrow?  Not sure if a lot of people are going to be "sick" tomorrow trying to get to the mountains.  

I have never been there but is farting around at Echo Mountain an option?  https://echomtn.com/mountain-conditions 

I get in tomorrow afternoon and have a dinner meeting. I could rent some skis in town tomorrow afternoon and be ready to head out early Thursday morning. Nothing to do on Thursday until dinner at 6 pm in the Cherry Creek area.

I usually just Uber in to town and back, so not having a car is an issue. And everything would need to go perfectly timing-wise for me to get back for dinner.

I looked into Echo as well - pretty dang close but don't know that I would get my $$$ worth out of the ski rental on a mountain that small.

I might still go for it.

3 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I get in tomorrow afternoon and have a dinner meeting. I could rent some skis in town tomorrow afternoon and be ready to head out early Thursday morning. Nothing to do on Thursday until dinner at 6 pm in the Cherry Creek area.

I usually just Uber in to town and back, so not having a car is an issue. And everything would need to go perfectly timing-wise for me to get back for dinner.

I looked into Echo as well - pretty dang close but don't know that I would get my $$$ worth out of the ski rental on a mountain that small.

I might still go for it.

Seems like a tight timeline but I'm the kind of dummy who would try to pull it off.  Not having a car could be a pretty major issue, though.  

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Boarding. Plankers are lame.

24 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Boarding. Plankers are lame.

13 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Can you hurry up and tighten your bindings when you get off the lift... sheesh?  And I'm not pulling your ass down the catwalk...

You forgot group-sitting in a line across the fall-line and below a roller so that the group can’t be seen from above.

@Sbbruin You see the Mammoth forecast?  Damn.  Kinda wishing I didn’t leave my gear in Colorado 

3 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

You forgot group-sitting in a line across the fall-line and below a roller so that the group can’t be seen from above.

@Sbbruin You see the Mammoth forecast?  Damn.  Kinda wishing I didn’t leave my gear in Colorado 

*Doink* 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Upgrayedd said:

Yeah they're talking 5'-8'.  That's feet, not inches.

5 hours ago, texasdago said:

I wonder why Taos decided to shut down all lifts for today...

image.thumb.png.77dd090f4ac993fd18ec428c6cf8b4ed.png

sure

I got stuck on a lift at Squaw Valley once thta had to be stopped for wind. Luckily only for 10-15 minutes but it  sure felt longer

1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

sure

I got stuck on a lift at Squaw Valley once thta had to be stopped for wind. Luckily only for 10-15 minutes but it  sure felt longer

Happened to me at Heavenly Valley with my "very beginner" wife... brutal wind up and heading down when she couldn't see was not particularly pleasant.

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

Yes.  Main Street is most straightforward run on Kachina and less steep for most of the run than the other ridge runs...As always, photo doesnt show how steep it really is...There are a couple of choke points at midway point and lower part of run where it gets steeper where you cannot traverse out of it and  if you fail to execute several tough turns, you will slide for awhile - that is what makes it double black for the most part - those 2-3 choke points...otherwise, like skiing Al's Run....

Edited by JCHIL

7 minutes ago, JCHIL said:

Yes.  Main Street is most straightforward run on Kachina and less steep for most of the run than the other ridge runs...As always, photo doesnt show how steep it really is...There are a couple of choke points at midway point and lower part of run where it gets steeper where you cannot traverse out of it and  if you fail to execute several tough turns, you will slide for awhile - that is what makes it double black for the most part - those 2-3 choke points...otherwise, like skiing Al's Run....

Next time... that initial taste of Taos was enough for me to want to go back.  Kind of like my only trip to Crested Butte (that's about to get fixed)... I really wanted to explore more.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

There's an 18" marker under there somewhere per the time lapse:

image.thumb.png.0144e33efd033be93cb618379b5eb9ed.png

About to ski Snowmass today.  It will be great skiing the next couple of days.  More snow is on the way on Sunday.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

DA42F777-51CE-404D-815D-7E87BB854EB5.thumb.jpeg.bcb58b11ef64527cdf3fce1156efc605.jpegI did groomer hot laps until my legs were turning to jello. Back at the hotel already getting ready for dinner. Great little mountain that was just what I needed today. 

Man, that is awesome... happy for you and I hate you at the same time.

Was looking through SnowBrains and came across this article about three backcountry skiers who were buried in an avalanche in Italy... 1 dead, two injured.  The link has lots of pictures of the rescue effort which are fascinating and terrifying:

https://snowbrains.com/photos-italian-avalanche-buries-3-touring-skiers-leaving-1-dead-and-2-severely-inju3red/

Look how deep they had to dig...

image.thumb.png.28cdfd0d372712ee7fa18ff86d639ff1.png

• Hook 'Em 1