American Gladiators (1989-1996)

MrBig

IMG_0758.webp.c404fe9760c112087fa9872eb7a9039c.webp

I saw the Netflix documentary about the American Gladiators and decided to start a thread about the original show.

On YouTube they have all the full original episodes to stream as well as short clips. Watching really takes me back to a different time when I was younger and had a thing for Zap.

They also did a live arena tour across the U.S. Did any of y’all go see one of those arena shows in the early 90s?

IMG_0759.thumb.jpeg.20315e08d5ab6556a5ce47d82e16308f.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrBig said:

IMG_0758.webp.c404fe9760c112087fa9872eb7a9039c.webp

I saw the Netflix documentary about the American Gladiators and decided to start a thread about the original show.

On YouTube they have all the full original episodes to stream as well as short clips. Watching really takes me back to a different time when I was younger and had a thing for Zap.

They also did a live arena tour across the U.S. Did any of y’all go see one of those arena shows in the early 90s?

IMG_0759.thumb.jpeg.20315e08d5ab6556a5ce47d82e16308f.jpeg

Am I crazy?  I remember the show came on like late Saturday morning before lunch. I remember as kid taking down some Lucky Charms and cartoons and then this came before lunch. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Am I crazy?  I remember the show came on like late Saturday morning before lunch. I remember as kid taking down some Lucky Charms and cartoons and then this came before lunch. 

It came on after SNL in DFW.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

The 30 for 30 was damn good. 

I thought the 30 for 30 sucked balls. Who the fuck cares about the creator? He was walking around town waving at people and nobody knew who the fuck he was. Once the Gladiators bailed on the 30 for 30 to do the Netflix doc it was obvious they had to shift the narrative.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Ice looks better now than then. Fine wine. And I didn’t realize Zap was in that movie with John Ritter, which isn’t the best flick but has some of the funniest physical comedy scenes ever on film.

Spoiler

thumb3_Hollitt-Skin-n-05.jpgth?id=OIP.wsnxaVFTlcNUhUYUZyTBVAHaD6&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

7 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Ice looks better now than then. Fine wine. And I didn’t realize Zap was in that movie with John Ritter, which isn’t the best flick but has some of the funniest physical comedy scenes ever on film.

8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I used to think Ice was so hot when she came back to the show with that Pam Anderson Baywatch haircut. 

IMG_0828.gif.e9ee6f82acd9ad5eb0bc998c80febe05.gif

• Like 1

Go check out the first season episode that showcased Billy Wirth and Gemini getting into a fight. It was awesome. 

I think Craig Johnson won it that first year. He was an ex-athlete that was better than any Gladiator. He was a physical specimen, and could have been a Gladiator himself. 

That first season was awesome, although the Gladiators called it the Dark Ages. I think it lost something when they went to the sets with grid lines on the floor. The older sets were fun, especially Assault. Jousting on a bridge was cool, but dangerous. I understand why they changed that one. 

I used to record it and watch on Sunday. Came on Saturdays at midnight or so. 

• Like 1