What is a "goodwill impairment?"

Parliament

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

I own some shares in a company that just did a $2.5B goodwill impairment; no other details yet.  What is that?  A writedown?

ETA
 Just to get it out of the way:

write-off-jerry.png?resize=633,467&ssl=1

It’s when, as a gesture of goodwill, I impair your wife’s ability to shit right for a week. 

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Non cash write down of an intangible asset value, most likely associated with an acquisition that is no longer worth what it used to be. 

And very likely was never worth it to begin with. Good Will is a catch all for what you are overpaying in an acquisition. 

On 7/25/2023 at 2:18 PM, Neonmoon said:

By changing Twitter to X, the company erased all the built up Goodwill it had over the past 17 years. People like brands and tend to stay loyal to them. So if you damage the brand, or change it altogether, it hurts value. 

But don't you get it, X is a really supercool letter; probably the coolest letter in the alphabet, in any language, ever.
Sincerely, Elon and his fanbois

On 7/25/2023 at 9:54 AM, Parliament said:

I own some shares in a company that just did a $2.5B goodwill impairment; no other details yet.  What is that?  A writedown?

So you invested in “Slap ya Silly - the Zach Smith Ohio Barbecue Sauce”?

too soon?