EPL 2023/24: Oil, Money and Power

Captain Ron

42 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I have no problems with that call. Franky it’s the type of call that VAR should be cleaning up. 

100% agree. It happens all the time but that’s kinda the problem. It needs to be getting called more often, especially when it’s such an obvious pullback 

4 hours ago, The Maestro said:

My problem isn’t the call but the lack of consistency.   If they start calling that regularly, it’ll quit happening on set pieces in the box.

Yes and yes. These are calls that need to be made so they clean up the sport more.

I think this is the thing that blows me away about VAR - they implement it to clean up the game, but then don't actually clean up the game. if you aren't going to make calls to clean things up, then you might as well get rid of VAR and go back to the old way.

And if you're keeping VAR, fucking learn what a handball is.

17 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Yes and yes. These are calls that need to be made so they clean up the sport more.

I think this is the thing that blows me away about VAR - they implement it to clean up the game, but then don't actually clean up the game. if you aren't going to make calls to clean things up, then you might as well get rid of VAR and go back to the old way.

It took them about 6 minutes to triangulate the offsides lines in the Burnley-Bournemouth game. If one end of screwing up is the disallowed Luis Diaz goal this is the other end of it. At some point you just have to go with the call on the field. 

23 hours ago, The Maestro said:

My problem isn’t the call but the lack of consistency.   If they start calling that regularly, it’ll quit happening on set pieces in the box.

23 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

100% agree. It happens all the time but that’s kinda the problem. It needs to be getting called more often, especially when it’s such an obvious pullback 

18 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

All of these. Consistency is all we really want.

nufc awarded the most dubious goal of the season. joelinton with a blatant two-handed shove on the goal line which is deemed to not be a foul upon review, plus a dubious offside no-call on top of that. at this point i think that a newcastle player could climb up onto the crossbar and go full rey mysterio on an arsenal player and the ref would just shrug and say, “play on”.

Edited by shadow_operative

IMG_1025.thumb.jpeg.7ec0e744924a9ca3c6ee24adb8a7de61.jpeg

they actually had this freeze gram displayed on the screen for ~30 seconds *after* declaring that this wasn’t a foul. you’re just stuck looking at a freeze frame of the goddamn foul as they announce to you that VAR has said that there is no foul, and that they’ve moved on to checking for offside. just asinine. 

• Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

IMG_1025.thumb.jpeg.7ec0e744924a9ca3c6ee24adb8a7de61.jpeg

they actually had this freeze gram displayed on the screen for ~30 seconds *after* declaring that this wasn’t a foul. you’re just stuck looking at a freeze frame of the goddamn foul as they announce to you that VAR has said that there is no foul, and that they’ve moved on to checking for offside. just asinine. 

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

something has to be done. 

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I mean, the officials just got back from their all-expenses paid holiday and bags of cash to ref matches in Saudi. Have to expect some return on that investment. 

• Rage+1 1