2023 World Scout Jamboree FUBAR

Saint Tacky

World Scout Jamboree in North Jeolia Province, South Korea. Heatwave, marshland, no shade, standing water from floods, mosquitos, not enough fresh water, not enough food, and Scouts dropping like flies from heat exhaustion. 

What the hell is wrong with you South Korea?

The U.S  Scout contingency has evacuated to an American military base. Parents of U.S. Scouts received this correspondence on Saturday  

“Dear World Scout Jamboree Parents and International Service Team Members:

On Friday, August 4, 2023, the US Contingent to the World Scout Jamboree has made the difficult decision that we will be departing the 25th World Scout Jamboree site early because of ongoing extreme weather and resulting conditions at the jamboree site.

While we regret the need for the early departure, the move ensures the safety of our Scouts and alleviates pressure on the jamboree site services and infrastructure.

The US Contingent will have a regular day of jamboree program on August 5, then move to nearby U.S. Army Garrison Humphreys (Camp Humphreys) on August 6 and remain there until August 11. Afterwards, Scouts will resume their planned departure and activities.

The health and safety of our Scouts is our number one priority. On-site leadership has been monitoring weather and site conditions closely and has decided to leave the site early out of safety concerns.

On-site leadership is in continuous communication with the World Organization of the Scout Movement and our South Korean hosts. Our hosts have engaged all levels of their government to support the jamboree and ensure a safe, quality experience for our youth and their leaders. Unfortunately, the extreme heat continues to stress the facilities and infrastructure of this site.

The Boy Scouts of America is grateful to the Korea Scout Association, Korean Government and the World Organization of the Scout Movement for their efforts in the face of this historic climate event.

Thank you for your well wishes and notes of care and concern. We will provide more detail on the activities that will be provided for our scouts as they are developed.

We will continue to provide you with regular updates.

Sincerely,

Lou Paulson
BSA International Commissioner      

Valdyke
BSA Head of Contingent”

Glad we passed on attending but we have friends that did go and say it was as bad as described. 

I have a Scout on the ground there. 

It’s hot. The infrastructure is probably not up to snuff. But his group and their adult leaders are fully prepared and able to care for the scouts. They don’t want to leave - they are having a great time meeting Scouts from 160 other countries. 

No one asked the Units. Humphreys is 2.5 hr away. They stayed there one night before the Jamboree. They were confined to a gym and ate (sorry but) lousy MREs. It sucked. 

The conditions are tough. They are scouts. They’ve done worse. This is overblown media coverage. 

Most have worked hard to raise funds to help pay their way for a once in a lifetime opportunity. Leaving early is dumb. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just got off a call with leadership. The press reports and even the note to US parents was all about the heat. But they now say the sanitary conditions were not good (shower and toilets) and at least initially the calories provided were inadequate. They stated concerns also that the on-site medical care was not able to keep up with the demand. 

That isn’t the story BSA first told us and many think they are trying to avoid any (more) legal issues. 

So instead of interacting with scouts from around the world, the US contingent will be sleeping on cots in a middle school gym at Humphreys. They have some ‘cultural’ activities on base planned which sound more like arts and crafts, as well as trips into Seoul for some sightseeing, shopping, and a baseball game. Going to legoland also discussed which will not be a lot of fun for any of the older teens. Evenings will be spent watching movies projected on the wall. 

They will not return to the Jamboree even for closing ceremonies. They will watch a livestream in the gym. 

Shittastic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It just gets worse. 

South Korea Tells Scouts to Leave World Jamboree Site as Typhoon Nears

The typhoon couldn’t come soon enough for other more embarrassing reasons. 

An underfunded mess. 70 sanitation workers for 40,000 people. Showers and toilets with inadequate drainage. Scouts and staff left to build needed infrastructure in the middle of areas that didn’t drain water or waste. Kids were literally left to dig their own drainage ditches. The typhoon saved them. Someone in the Korean government is alleged to have diverted funds from the event and will probably be scapegoated. 

Meh, son and I did camp James Ray years back un July.  Mosquitos were so bad we had to use army cots, framed with plastic poles and mosquito netting to sleep at night.  Temps were in the mid 90's with ridiculous humidity and zero wind as we were deep in the woods.  Even with multiple Thermacell's in the makeshift tents, kids with him got bit all over.  I will say nothing tasted better than a cold Gatorade and frozen snicker.  

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Meh, son and I did camp James Ray years back un July.  Mosquitos were so bad we had to use army cots, framed with plastic poles and mosquito netting to sleep at night.  Temps were in the mid 90's with ridiculous humidity and zero wind as we were deep in the woods.  Even with multiple Thermacell's in the makeshift tents, kids with him got bit all over.  I will say nothing tasted better than a cold Gatorade and frozen snicker.  

James Ray sounds like a walk in the park compared to what is going on at the Jamboree. I've never not used mosquito netting at any summer camp with the standard issue canvas tents, even @ Ben Delatour Scout Ranch in Colorado.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

James Ray sounds like a walk in the park compared to what is going on at the Jamboree. I've never not used mosquito netting at any summer camp with the standard issue canvas tents, even @ Ben Delatour Scout Ranch in Colorado.  

I've been to Vietnam.  I've walked the jungle and toured sites like the tunnels at Cu Chi.  F'ing north Texas was comparable.  But I get the point and I'm not trying say it's in any way worse.