Daughter's High heart rate potential causes? Dangers?

I have some concern about my oldest daughter, and her seemingly elevated heart rate.  She played soccer for like 10 year, ran cross country in high school, and has run a half marathon.  So her aerobic capacity is pretty darn good, but her heart rate is just high.  Hell I am a fat out of shape 60+ year old and my resting heart rate is runs from mid high 50's to the upper 70's at rest.  I am like most other folks who have exercised using a heart rate monitor in that when I start getting into that 140+ range I am pushing near the peak of my capacity.

She's 27, and moderately overweight now, but I remember when she ran her half marathon I was looking at 160-180 BPM on her tracker.  But last weekend she was talking about how at Orange Theory her heart rate was higher than everyone in the room when working out. She pushes well past that 140-160 range.  The instructor was taking a closer look out of her with concern, but she felt perfectly fine.  Her resting heart rate when we were sitting around last weekend was just over like 92 BPM, and mine was like 74 at the same point in the day. I want to say she said something like getting close to 200 at orange theory?

The additional reason I have concern is long ago my youngest was about 15 months old, and we had to rush to the emergency room.  She is a fair skinned kid but she was looking absolutely pale, and her little baby heartbeat was cranking over 100.  Ended up heart was working overtime because she did not have enough red blood cells needed to carry the oxygen load.  Doc told us to go straight to the emergency room and she was given a transfusion and all we well.  Hospital's theory was that my daughter had a milk allergy that was causing a bleed, while at the same time the calcium in the milk diminished red blood cell creation.  So this high heart rate in my oldest has us a bit concerned.

Any thought?  I am sort of worried that my oldest may have some sort of more serious issue?  Perhaps related to blood cell production? I don't really know what else might cause the higher heartbeat?  Again she does not have any additional discomfort when exercising than anyone else, but her heart rate goes to some ranges that I know mine could simply not go? And it just seems odd.

Edited by horn4life

What did her doctor say?

Being obnoxious, but if it's a concern, then see a doc. Google says 60-100 is typical, but lower is better.

The 15-month old story sounds weird as kids heart rates are normally pretty high. 

She get a physical every year. and is about to get another one. She is going to ask specifically about heart rate when she goes in again. 

She is not honestly concerned, but when I was at her prior highest fitness level of running miles and mile, by resting HR was sub 50. But I was swimming 10K yards a week and playing soccer 6 days a week. My dad was a National class swimmer in his youth and he is 92 and his resting heart rate is about 10 bpm lower than hers. 

He and I are more concerned simply as it's high compared to what we as formerly trained persons should be from our life experience. Hope there IS nothing to worry about. But I'm a dad and that worry shit will follow me to the grave.

She get a physical every year. and is about to get another one. She is going to ask specifically about heart rate when she goes in again. 
She is not honestly concerned, but when I was at her prior highest fitness level of running miles and mile, by resting HR was sub 50. But I was swimming 10K yards a week and playing soccer 6 days a week. My dad was a National class swimmer in his youth and he is 92 and his resting heart rate is about 10 bpm lower than hers. 
He and I are more concerned simply as it's high compared to what we as formerly trained persons should be from our life experience. Hope there IS nothing to worry about. But I'm a dad and that worry shit will follow me to the grave.

Stop comparing males and females at different ages and fitnesses levels. You are making yourself nuts.

Trust your daughter to bring it up with the doctor.
  • Like 1

A commonly sited rule for Max HR when working out is "220-age".  While there is no scientific basis for that rule, its a really good rule of thumb that works for most people. Based on that, her Orange Theory HR numbers aren't a concern as long as the HR drops off quickly when she stops the activity. Even the "close to 200" number isn't that out of band. 

The resting HR is more eyebrow raising. There are some people that have a high resting HR for no reason and it's fine, on the other hand there are a ton of bad things that can cause high HR. 

Here's an study looking at exactly that titled:  "Association between resting heart rate and coronary artery disease, stroke, sudden death and noncardiovascular diseases: a meta-analysis"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5056889/

Resting heart rate was an independent predictor of coronary artery disease, stroke, sudden death and noncardiovascular diseases 

So tell your daughter to mention it to her doctor.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

A commonly sited rule for Max HR when working out is "220-age".  While there is no scientific basis for that rule, its a really good rule of thumb that works for most people. Based on that, her Orange Theory HR numbers aren't a concern as long as the HR drops off quickly when she stops the activity. Even the "close to 200" number isn't that out of band. 

The resting HR is more eyebrow raising. There are some people that have a high resting HR for no reason and it's fine, on the other hand there are a ton of bad things that can cause high HR. 

Here's an study looking at exactly that titled:  "Association between resting heart rate and coronary artery disease, stroke, sudden death and noncardiovascular diseases: a meta-analysis"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5056889/

So tell your daughter to mention it to her doctor.

The resting is what bugs me.  Thanks for the link. I am not worried, because I always say you have plenty of time to worry. But concerened enought to want to rule out stuff that I could worry about!  Just want to have her tell her doctor to probe a little deeper.  If there is something wrong better to know about it.

Edited by horn4life

Don’t know if it’s the same in a female but, have her Dr. check thyroid levels. I realized my HR was racing after mowing the lawn one day last summer and it wouldn’t come back down. Like 120bpm after sitting in a chair for 20 mins. Got some meds that helped a bunch.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

We’re all doctors, lawyers, and offensive coordinators. Just ask us. 

Sark's inability to make second-half adjustments last season gave many of us high blood pressure and other adverse health issues, and I will be bringing a class action lawsuit against him.

On 8/10/2023 at 9:14 AM, horn4life said:

But last weekend she was talking about how at Orange Theory her heart rate was higher than everyone in the room when working out.

It sounds like she just needs to get in better shape. If the other people working out have a better exercise capacity, then they can do the same workout with a lower heart rate. 

The number itself is not very concerning. 

23 hours ago, horn4life said:

The resting is what bugs me.  Thanks for the link. I am not worried, because I always say you have plenty of time to worry. But concerened enought to want to rule out stuff that I could worry about!  Just want to have her tell her doctor to probe a little deeper.  If there is something wrong better to know about it.

As you get older, your cardiovascular system loses sympathetic tone. That, and beta blockers, are why older people have lower resting heart rates. Hell just about anyone over 75-80 is sitting in the 40s-50s for resting heart rate and it isn’t because they’re marathon runners. 

She should definitely mention it to a doctor if y’all are concerned. But for a reference the only resting heart rate that really demands a closer look, especially at her age, is below 40 or above about 120. Or if you’re symptomatic at rest. Lightheaded, chest pain, headache etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 9:27 AM, horn4life said:

May want to invest in an Apple Watch which can monitor her heart rate and also provide an EKG.  Apple Watch readings are accepted by most doctors.  At her doctor's appt,  inquire about wearing a holter monitor or Zio patch for a cotinuous period.   This will give a thorough eval of her heart.   And as you mention,  blood test especially for the thyroid.

May want to slow down on the strenuous exercise until the doctor's appt.     Best to You and your Family.

The other day I was at a pulmonologist doing a lung function test (the breathing test in the box) which was actually very intense. Afterwards they took my vitals and I was at like 260 and the nurse couldn't hide her freaking out. She went in to the other room ostensibly to tell the doc, and I was put in a special room to monitor to see if I was needed to take to the ER and hospital attached. 10 minutes later, it was slightly elevated from normal and nothing to worry about. 

The lesson there is you should take the vitals before torturing someone (those PFT's are torture I contend) and also heart rate is a fickle beast.

On 8/10/2023 at 4:14 PM, horn4life said:

I have some concern about my oldest daughter, and her seemingly elevated heart rate.  She played soccer for like 10 year, ran cross country in high school, and has run a half marathon.  So her aerobic capacity is pretty darn good, but her heart rate is just high.  Hell I am a fat out of shape 60+ year old and my resting heart rate is runs from mid high 50's to the upper 70's at rest.  I am like most other folks who have exercised using a heart rate monitor in that when I start getting into that 140+ range I am pushing near the peak of my capacity.

She's 27, and moderately overweight now, but I remember when she ran her half marathon I was looking at 160-180 BPM on her tracker.  But last weekend she was talking about how at Orange Theory her heart rate was higher than everyone in the room when working out. She pushes well past that 140-160 range.  The instructor was taking a closer look out of her with concern, but she felt perfectly fine.  Her resting heart rate when we were sitting around last weekend was just over like 92 BPM, and mine was like 74 at the same point in the day. I want to say she said something like getting close to 200 at orange theory?

The additional reason I have concern is long ago my youngest was about 15 months old, and we had to rush to the emergency room.  She is a fair skinned kid but she was looking absolutely pale, and her little baby heartbeat was cranking over 100.  Ended up heart was working overtime because she did not have enough red blood cells needed to carry the oxygen load.  Doc told us to go straight to the emergency room and she was given a transfusion and all we well.  Hospital's theory was that my daughter had a milk allergy that was causing a bleed, while at the same time the calcium in the milk diminished red blood cell creation.  So this high heart rate in my oldest has us a bit concerned.

Any thought?  I am sort of worried that my oldest may have some sort of more serious issue?  Perhaps related to blood cell production? I don't really know what else might cause the higher heartbeat?  Again she does not have any additional discomfort when exercising than anyone else, but her heart rate goes to some ranges that I know mine could simply not go? And it just seems odd.

Some people just have different heat rate ranges.  Mine is similar.  Used to do serious cycling, so I'd have detailed HR measurements of mine and other people I rode with over multiple hours on a ride.  Mine is consistently +30 beats higher than everyone else for same perceived effort and exertion.  (60 resting, 140 base effort, 170-180 constant effort, 200 peak, 120 post-effort resting).  Healthy weight and BMI.  Multiple docs and cardiologist spotted nothing wrong.