Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

The big issue on layups are Amo, Jones, and Gaston are all physical players. They all look for contact. Instead of looking for contact just finish. 

This. And we looked rushed at times. We were definitely amped up 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ll take the win. Actually I think my first or second memory of cheering on UT in any sports was of the women’s bball championship way back in the 80s (then usurped by the football team).  So a win is a win. Admittedly I don’t follow much but here for the bandwagon! Go horns!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

I think most our games are going to be ugly moving forward. 

It's pretty clear what Vic's strategy is now without Harmon. Pound the ball inside and use our physicality to grind on teams. I just hope we don't get refs that call a bunch of soft fouls because that will be our kryptonite. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think most our games are going to be ugly moving forward. 

It's pretty clear what Vic's strategy is now without Harmon. Pound the ball inside and use our physicality to grind on teams. I just hope we don't get refs that call a bunch of soft fouls because that will be our kryptonite. 

Unless you’re SC, you aren’t going to win every game by 30-40

Alabama was a good tough team defensively with height. Barker is legit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Alabama uglied it up. Texas bigs were ugly. Texas still wins 65-54 on the strength of our defense and rebounding 

Way too many missed layups but I would say this game went how Vic wanted. 

Our size/physicality completely took their big out of the game (Cody) and Amo abused their best player on the boards (Barker). The way we lose in the tournament is if we make it a guard or perimeter game. 

We have one of the best rebounding and defensive frontcourts in the country. These half court physical type games are not going to be ones we lose. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the funniest part of this game was the broadcasters talking about Amo like "you don't run offense through her" and similar comments. I don't think it was anything negative but I think a lot of people forget Moore was the #6 recruit. 

She's as talented as anyone in the country if she can just stay healthy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think the funniest part of this game was the broadcasters talking about Amo like "you don't run offense through her" and similar comments. I don't think it was anything negative but I think a lot of people forget Moore was the #6 recruit. 

She's as talented as anyone in the country if she can just stay healthy. 

Booker is our steady captain but AMo is definitely the hype and energy 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Booker is our steady captain but AMo is definitely the hype and energy 

Amo was really good today. I thought she did by far the best job on Barker. Better than Holle or Muhammad. 

I was a bit surprised they put Amo on Barker because I didn't think she had the quickness to guard her. 

Very curious about the Utah-Gonzaga game tomorrow. It felt like that last host spot was between Gonzaga and Colorado. Colorado went into Manhattan and won, so Gonzaga might be a tad overseeded 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Very curious about the Utah-Gonzaga game tomorrow. It felt like that last host spot was between Gonzaga and Colorado. Colorado went into Manhattan and won, so Gonzaga might be a tad overseeded 

I think we want Gonzaga. They are only 1-2 against NET top 30 teams and their win was against Stanford where Brink only played 11 minutes because she was sick. 

They seem like a paper tiger that stacked wins against mediocre teams and luck against Stanford with Brink being sick. 

Was at the game. Good energy and only $17.50 for GA.

The missed free throws and layups were frustrating. Pretty sure Texas only made one three, too.

Anyone see that Bama’s subs would carry in a baton (looked like a rolled up towel) to the player they were replacing? Is that a thing?

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Austinvines said:

Was at the game. Good energy and only $17.50 for GA.

The missed free throws and layups were frustrating. Pretty sure Texas only made one three, too.

Anyone see that Bama’s subs would carry in a baton (looked like a rolled up towel) to the player they were replacing? Is that a thing?

It’s a fresh towel for the bench as they come out.

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Stanford is soft and doesn't play any D. 

I hate playing them though because you're not allowed to touch them. 

Yeah we know how a matchup with them will go. Tara will bitch and whine and every touch will be a foul. 

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Audi Crooks is a tub of goo. Iowa State is better tonight with that glutton off the court. 

3-21. Maybe don’t keep going to her if she’s just going to miss 

Iriafen and Brink totally shut down Crooks in a way Taylor Jones could only dream of. Almost every shot was viciously  contested. But Stanford didn't guard anyone else all that effectively, Ryan in particular. Meanwhile, Crooks did zero to stop Iriafen, who went for 41 and 16. 

Should we meet Stanford two rounds from now, I think Booker and our guards would score 45-plus. But whether we'd total 20 from everyone else is another question, especially given our feeble layup efforts against Bama. I at least like our chances of getting to that round to find out, whether Stanford does or not. I hope they don't. 

12 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Iriafen and Brink totally shut down Crooks in a way Taylor Jones could only dream of. Almost every shot was viciously  contested. But Stanford didn't guard anyone else all that effectively, Ryan in particular. Meanwhile, Crooks did zero to stop Iriafen, who went for 41 and 16. 

Should we meet Stanford two rounds from now, I think Booker and our guards would score 45-plus. But whether we'd total 20 from everyone else is another question, especially given our feeble layup efforts against Bama. I at least like our chances of getting to that round to find out, whether Stanford does or not. I hope they don't. 

Stanford and Texas defended Crooks much differently. Stanford often sent help which is why everyone else went off from 3. Texas just played Crooks straight up with the mentality of "we will let her score but nobody is getting open looks." 

I hate playing Stanford because we are polar opposites. We want physical play and they don't. The refs often dictate this game and like @Js1said above Tara will be bitching about every call. 

Yeah we were content with Crooks getting hers (she had like 24 or 25 in the Big 12 title game) and we shut down the ISU guards and won easily. Totally different game plans. Considering she went 18-20 against Maryland, it was obvious Tara was not going to let her beat them 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

At a neutral site:

vs Utah - Texas 63% to win, average spread Texas -5

Vs Gonzaga - Texas 73% to win, average spread Texas -8

(Per Massey simulation)

I think we definitely want Gonzaga. I'm not sure they would even be top 20 in NET had Brink not been sick when they played Stanford. 

Now they get home-court advantage against Utah which might give them the slight edge even though I think Utah is probably better. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think we definitely want Gonzaga. I'm not sure they would even be top 20 in NET had Brink not been sick when they played Stanford. 

Now they get home-court advantage against Utah which might give them the slight edge even though I think Utah is probably better. 

I’d prefer Gonzaga. Alyssa Pili for Utah is hard to guard 

I really don’t want to face Stanford bc they get a lot of grace in officiating. You saw it at the start of the game - a couple of illegal screens and Tara marched to the closest official and starting lobbying/whining

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I really don’t want to face Stanford bc they get a lot of grace in officiating. You saw it at the start of the game - a couple of illegal screens and Tara marched to the closest official and starting lobbying/whining

Yep, I think Stanford is a flawed team but Tara is going to do everything in her power to dictate style of play with the officials. 

Just like she did a few years ago before the elite 8 with the "rugby" comments. https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/horns-report/longhorns-coaching-staff-takes-issue-with-stanford-coachs-rugby-comment/