Home Gym Recs?

35 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Pitch me a home gym setup.

I was leaning Bowflex related - Extreme 2SE or the Revolution - mainly for space, don't need or want tons of weights, less noise.

Anyone own a Bowflex or other system they recommend?

If so any thoughts on how easy they are to move and reassemble if I buy a used one?

Same question, but additional caveat-- for a teenager (sorry to piggyback, gfy)

Why a home gym?  If it has to be a home gym, I'd probably just get some kettle bells and do the countless of variations of workouts.  You'd get more variety of quality workouts than you would on a machine.  Home gym all in one machines are awkward to use and that's why they have the reputation as worthless.  Not that they can't work, but I think most people think they'd workout more if it was at home, but the opposite tends to be true.

Used freeweights (45lb bar, bench, squat rack, and 300lbs to start with is fine)

Used treadmill (you could just skip this and run outside too but I like an indoor run)

$20 Chin Up Bar

$20 Yoga Mat

Don't overthink it and spend thousands on unnecessary and limiting machines. 

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'll chime in on the Bowflex.  It's fine.  We bought a relatively inexpensive one 19 years ago and it's still going strong.  I use it 4x per week, but also keep some kettle bells around.  The thing has saved me thousands of dollars in gym memberships, and I don't have to deal with the gym people.  While it may not compare to free weights, it's been enough to keep things looking like they should.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Why a home gym?  If it has to be a home gym, I'd probably just get some kettle bells and do the countless of variations of workouts.  You'd get more variety of quality workouts than you would on a machine.  Home gym all in one machines are awkward to use and that's why they have the reputation as worthless.  Not that they can't work, but I think most people think they'd workout more if it was at home, but the opposite tends to be true.

Home because the gym I used to go to is terrible in my new area. Overcrowded and run down and there's nothing else within 25 minutes that doesn't seem overpriced.

I hadn't considered kettlebells - never used them. Price-wise though they already seem to be more than a used home system if I just got a few of them and a bench.

Used systems are wildly cheap in my initial look. New at $1600 going for $250 for example.

I'm more likely to use a decent system actually than try to put together individual components and a workout plan using those, etc. I liked the gym but the travel time and wait times and watching groups of 4 high schoolers hang out on a machine isn't worth it.

Edited by gofuckyourself

Used freeweights (45lb bar, bench, squat rack, and 300lbs to start with is fine)
Used treadmill (you could just skip this and run outside too but I like an indoor run)
$20 Chin Up Bar
$20 Yoga Mat

Without the treadmill you're looking at a minimum of $1500 for that setup. If you want quality items you're well over $2k.
$20 Chin Up Bar
$20 Yoga Mat

Without the treadmill you're looking at a minimum of $1500 for that setup. If you want quality items you're well over $2k.

4 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Really? Damn things have changed for sure. I bought a new full cage plus weights for $600 in 2015 or so but I guess that was almost 10 years and a pandemic ago. Surely you can still find cheap 2nd hand deals though? 

Really? Damn things have changed for sure. I bought a new full cage plus weights for $600 in 2015 or so but I guess that was almost 10 years and a pandemic ago. Surely you can still find cheap 2nd hand deals though? 

March of 2020 everything went batshit and pushed everyone to want/need a home gym. Prices haven't come back down. Infuriating
  • Hook 'Em 1

Prices aside, machines will work assuming you actually use them.  Not sure if bowflex has a new setup, but back in 2009 I went to buy one at a new/used equipment store, and I didn't like how bowflex resistance isn't constant through the range of motion.  There are benefits to mixing in training like that, but I didn't want it 100% of the time.  Their resistance bars offered peak resistance at the end of the range of motion, so at the beginning of the lift there was little resistance.  I went with a cable machine with a weight stack.  You'll likely get a lat pulldown, chest/shoulder press options, and some rowing variations.  For legs you are pretty much going to be limited to an extension and curl variation.  If that's extra, I would just not add and buy a kettle bell and do some squat/lunge variations for leg training.  You aren't going to be able to get hardcore gains with this equipment but that doesn't sound like a goal of yours.  It's not going to be the same as commercial gym equipment because it's a lot cheaper, so it's going to be a little wonkier and not as comfortable.

On 9/20/2023 at 11:19 AM, gofuckyourself said:

Pitch me a home gym setup.

I was leaning Bowflex related - Extreme 2SE or the Revolution - mainly for space, don't need or want tons of weights, less noise.

Whatever setup you decide, include a set of TRX straps and an anchor. 50+ exercises using only leverage and your own body weight.

1401_8_1.jpg?resizeid=5&resizeh=1200&res

16TR1ATRXXMNTXXXXEAC?qlt=70&wid=1100&fmt

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just following up for those interested.

Bought a Bowflex Xtreme 2 SE used that cost me about 80% less than a new one. It's like new and there were a ton of options when I was looking at FB marketplace, some even cheaper, but the one I found came with a mat and additional desired accessories.

Anyway, I've used it for a couple weeks and love it so far:

1) It's compact and lightweight. The whole thing is maybe 170 pounds. Size fits easily inside in home office/gym area taking up a ~ 4' x 4' space. Actual workout space is needed is around 8' x 6'

2) Dozens of exercises. It provides plenty of areas you can target in different ways.

3) Fast and easy to change exercises.

4) Really well built. Seems sound and everything works very smoothly. The leg extension provides plenty of room and flexibility depending on user size.

5) Quiet. Only minor noises when exercising. I could exercise any time of day/night and not disturb anyone.

6) Convenience of home workouts is fantastic, for me. Saves me at least an hour and makes it much harder to skip out. Zero excuses not to do it.

Drawbacks so far are:

1) Takes some getting used to. The "rod" vs "weight" difference is akin to bands I suppose, so the resistance is different. But acclimation is pretty quick. Biggest drawback I think will be maxing out and needing to add more resistance because it's definitely not 1:1 on resistance vs. weight pounds.

2) Rods will obviously wear out eventually. But that should be years away if they're maintained.

3) Some of the setups, at least on this machine, are awkward if you're tall and don't seem to give a full range of motion. And I'm maybe 6'1", so taller I think this would be an even bigger issue. Cable positions are slack for example even if seated on overhead pull downs when the seat is all the way lowered etc.

But overall I think this is great for a small convenient home gym setup where you don't want to have hundreds of pounds of weight or don't need or want to lift massively as a goal.

I bought some little plastic push up handles that are small and weigh nothing. They're ergonomically designed to avoid strain on the hands and wrists while doing push ups. I hated doing pushups before using them but now do them every other day. Push ups of course provide an amazing workout and they take up no space in my luggage when traveling. Probably the best $15 I've ever spent.