What am I doing wrong - homemade ice cream?

Knoxtnhorn

Seems like the fat is separating out of the milk, which could be the overchurning or might have to do with your milk/cream selection.  I'm not sure what kind of dairy products are out there anymore, but maybe if you are using some non-homogenized, super organic cream or milk in your recipe, the churning you are doing is causing separation?

Edited by TwiceHorn

Hard to say without looking at the recipe and knowing what kind of ice cream maker you are using.  Whatever ice cream maker you're using may not be freezing things evenly, consistently, or thoroughly.  Also, best case scenario, you'll end up with soft serve.  You need to put it into a container and put it in the freezer to get good, firm ice cream.

We have a Cuisinart with a built-in compressor and it is by far the most idiot proof ice cream maker I ever have used, the other two being a motorized White Mountain and a Cuisinart where you freeze the bowl ahead of time. 

Also, there is not a bad recipe in this book.

9780688161491_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

• Like 2

Are you using egg yolks?

If not, perhaps that is why the fat is separating.

*NOTE: I've never made ice cream myself, but my dad used to make it every 4th of July (LOTS OF ROCK SALT!!) and a friend used to make Green Tea ice cream for her Southeast Asian restaurant in Buenos Aires.

I've used both a rock salt maker as well as a newfangled maker that we got as a gift last year.  You freeze the bucket overnight.  It's got a liquid that mimics the freezing capabilities of rock salt and ice.

As far as ingredients.  Going off memory, the last batch was peaches, 1/2 cup of whole milk, vanilla extract, and 32 ounces of cream.  It may have something to do with overchurning.  Whatever it is, it's ruining the taste.  The initial "bite" is ok; however, it leaves, what feels like, a coating of Crisco grease in your mouth.

50 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

As far as ingredients.  Going off memory, the last batch was peaches, 1/2 cup of whole milk, vanilla extract, and 32 ounces of cream.  It may have something to do with overchurning.  Whatever it is, it's ruining the taste.  The initial "bite" is ok; however, it leaves, what feels like, a coating of Crisco grease in your mouth.

Same thing was happening with us last summer.  It was OK when it was fresh, but once you put it in the freezer, it separated more.  Left a film on the roof of your mouth.

I'm a huge ice cream fan, and an even bigger homemade ice cream fan, so I was perplexed.  We switched from Horizon 2% organic milk to "regular" whole milk this summer, and it's back to normal with no issues.  Try to change your milk to the cheap, whole stuff and see if that helps.

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I've used both a rock salt maker as well as a newfangled maker that we got as a gift last year.  You freeze the bucket overnight.  It's got a liquid that mimics the freezing capabilities of rock salt and ice.

I never had much luck with the freeze overnight bowls, but I have a relative who loves them.  But my experience was they didn't have enough thermal mass to completely freeze the batch to a good consistency.  Maybe if it was taking a while for it to freeze, you overchurned it as someone else mentioned. 

This is what we're using (ICE-100).  Only makes 1.5 quart batches, but if we want more, we just make back to back batches.

41rYlFohaLL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Edited by dcbc

11 hours ago, dcbc said:

Hard to say without looking at the recipe and knowing what kind of ice cream maker you are using.  Whatever ice cream maker you're using may not be freezing things evenly, consistently, or thoroughly.  Also, best case scenario, you'll end up with soft serve.  You need to put it into a container and put it in the freezer to get good, firm ice cream.

We have a Cuisinart with a built-in compressor and it is by far the most idiot proof ice cream maker I ever have used, the other two being a motorized White Mountain and a Cuisinart where you freeze the bowl ahead of time. 

Also, there is not a bad recipe in this book.

9780688161491_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

Lots of good ones, but I beg to differ with you about no duds. We made mint chocolate chip with fresh mint leaves like they suggest one time and it tasted like eating a handful of grass. I stick with peppermint extract now.

Edited by tokamak
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

holy shit...

7 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

With both the traditional and new maker, I've gone with the recipe/directions in the box.  I'm assuming the ratios (above) are correct.  I really do think I was overcharging at this point.

Very likely, but that cream content is going to make it susceptible to buttermaking.  And even without the buttermaking, that sounds insanely rich.  I can appreciate rich ice cream, but it can be overdone.  Ben & Jerry's isn't my favorite for that reason.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, tokamak said:

Lots of good ones, but I beg to differ with you about no duds. We made mint chocolate chip with fresh mint leaves like they suggest one time and it tasted like eating a handful of grass. I stick with peppermint extract now.

I think I'd use extract, too.  If you like coffee ice cream, that recipe is great.  Soak the cream/milk mixture in whole beans.  Great stuff.

11 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Gotta be overchurning.  All other variables have been the same over time.  And, dcbc hit the nail on the head.  The center portion was still slushy, so I let it churn longer than normal.

Thanks for all the advice.

Next time, chill the ingredients mixture overnight and freeze.  That bowl has only a finite amount of chill and you need to impart that to the mixture and get it frozen as soon as possible.  So every chance you give the mixture to get as cold as possible will make for a better end product.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

agreed, but most every recipe i've seen uses equal parts cream and whole milk.

This is what I have seen as well. 

My other rule is don't bother trying to make things low fat.  It's like brewing a lite or N/A beer, best left to professionals.  Homemade ice cream is best when it's high octane.