San Antonio Spurs '23-'24: Hoops, Hype, Hair Dye

ztejas

I posted this last season.  It looks like their 4th quarter woes continue...

"I haven't watched much this year but I see the score updates when I'm scrolling through Instagram.  The Spurs account posts highlights and score updates during games.  I always chuckle seeing the scores:

1Q: SAS 32  PHX 18

2Q: SAS 72  PHX 52

3Q: SAS 93  PHX 80

Final: SAS 108 PHX 147"

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

It's tough to watch. Vassell missing so many games isn't helping, either. They have next to zero outside shooting without him.

Wemby is a mess right now -- atrocious shot selection, his teammates can't seem to find him when he is open near the rim, he bails when he has good position or shorter defenders easily move him out, he makes a lot of weak and telegraphed passes into traffic, and he keeps falling for pump fakes from guys who are a foot shorter than him. His pace is way off. He's either overly passive or overly aggressive forcing shit on offense. I keep reminding myself that he is only 19 and I don't know if the team around him could be putting him in any worse position to succeed, but the trajectory he was on from the French league to the Summer league to the beginning of the season has definitely leveled off, or even regressed. 

It's going to get better. They are going to get better. 

It's the same team, down to Vassell missing too many games and it's pushing us right into lottery territory once again. I've already lost my steam to watch this team play such terrible basketball, but I'll be at the game on Wednesday. Wish Wemby had some vets to learn from, I think PATFO may have overlooked that part. I can understand their "wait and see" approach to coaching him, but it would help if he had someone to model himself and his shot selection, decision-making, etc. off of while on the court. Instead everybody's just doing young dumb things together. It's stupid. 

I would need some stats to back up my hunch, but I also wonder what Sochan's ceiling as a PG really is. In the handful of games I've watched, he doesn't seem like he can really defend point guards, he's not quick enough. Maybe I'm off though. The decision making and distributing improvements would be welcome, but he ain't getting much faster and quicker at this point, that can't be coached. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Do they still have Duncan around at practices? Just have Wemby study under him for a while. I realize their skill sets aren't the same, but I'm positive Duncan has plenty of things he could teach Wemby.

Another side note, sometimes I'll just watch Pop while we're on offense, and so many times he will call a play or make some motion to try to get the guys to do something, and moments later he'll facepalm or turn around and shake his head because the guys just look lost and the play falls apart.

8 minutes ago, hornfan785 said:

Do they still have Duncan around at practices? Just have Wemby study under him for a while. I realize their skill sets aren't the same, but I'm positive Duncan has plenty of things he could teach Wemby.

Another side note, sometimes I'll just watch Pop while we're on offense, and so many times he will call a play or make some motion to try to get the guys to do something, and moments later he'll facepalm or turn around and shake his head because the guys just look lost and the play falls apart.

We need to have the Pop conversation at some point. It’s too soon for personal reasons, but there’s a retirement home where they’re chiseling his nameplate. 

1 hour ago, hornfan785 said:

I think there's a locker room cancer problem. My suspicion is that Sochan is the problem. It's usually the player with the weirdest hair. I'm convinced 80% of the team's problems are mental. These used to be the kind of things Pop was great at solving, but I'm starting to believe he's lost a bit of interest in being great and is drifting into Jimbo mode.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I think there's a locker room cancer problem. My suspicion is that Sochan is the problem. It's usually the player with the weirdest hair. I'm convinced 80% of the team's problems are mental. These used to be the kind of things Pop was great at solving, but I'm starting to believe he's lost a bit of interest in being great and is drifting into Jimbo mode.

80% of the team's problems are that they are the youngest team in the league and their best player can't stay healthy. 

There's nothing wrong with Sochan, other than they are putting him in a very difficult situation and he's struggling. Even if he doesn't turn into a long term point guard, it's only going to help him going forward.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

80% of the team's problems are that they are the youngest team in the league and their best player can't stay healthy. 

There's nothing wrong with Sochan, other than they are putting him in a very difficult situation and he's struggling. Even if he doesn't turn into a long term point guard, it's only going to help him going forward.

Some team is always going to be the youngest in the league, but that team is almost never this mentally fragile. The kind of leads I have seen them give up, on a consistent basis, tell me there's an attitude problem. Sark's culture discussion in his latest presser really helps tell that story. It's kind of shocking to see a team coached by Pop having these attributes.

17 minutes ago, hornfan785 said:

Pop just grabbed the microphone and told the fans to stop booing Kawhi Leonard. Never seen a coach do that before, just walk up and grab the PA mic. Of course, sounded like the fans boo'd even louder now after that announcement.

OK, I guess Kermit's right--maybe Pop does need to hang it up.

Cuz fuck The Nephew. Always and forever.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Hey guys, we’re classy. Don’t boo. Meanwhile pay these exorbitantly high prices for a player we’ll misuse all year and surround with the worst goddamn supporting cast in NBA history. Look, here’s Doug McDermott, a piece of shit player who when he’s not missing a shot is turning the ball over inexplicably and fouling on a screen. Here’s Malaki Branham. We don’t know what he does, but man do we play him a lot. 

Just now, Michael Knight said:

Are You Okay Chicago Fire GIF by One Chicago

A little. I need a drink. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Hey guys, we’re classy. Don’t boo. Meanwhile pay these exorbitantly high prices for a player we’ll misuse all year and surround with the worst goddamn supporting cast in NBA history. Look, here’s Doug McDermott, a piece of shit player who when he’s not missing a shot is turning the ball over inexplicably and fouling on a screen. Here’s Malaki Branham. We don’t know what he does, but man do we play him a lot. 

A little. I need a drink. 

Maybe don't boo the guy who was finals MVP and helped us win a championship, like save your boos for Kobe Bryant tributes

• Like 1

They looked better tonight. Showed a lot more effort and actually looked like a team. Sochan had a good game. Wemby needs to get more looks throughout the game, especially the 4th. Even if he tries to dribble and gets stripped, he needs more touches, especially in the paint.

This was a loss I can feel fine about. They were competitive the whole time. Just would have been nice if more of their shots went in. Really terrible shooting percentage.

But yeah, I don't know what the fuck Pop was thinking when he grabbed the mic. I usually like whatever he does and trust him with everything, but this was a no for me, dawg.

That's unreal. "That's not who we are"?

It's an ex-player. Every ex-player is boo'ed.

And in this case it's the ex player who did all he could to torch the franchise on his way out. Fuck him.

And in a town where it's the ONLY pro sport. With fans as obsessed and loyal and as any fanbase on the planet.

And you're going to say don't boo him?

Pop is hitting the wine too hard.

• Hook 'Em 5