World’s Hottest Pepper

Neonmoon

https://www.npr.org/2023/10/17/1206450553/worlds-hottest-pepper-guinness-record-pepper-x

“Pepper X measures an average of 2.693 million Scoville Heat Units. A jalapeño, by comparison, measures just 2,000 to 8,000 SHUs, while a serrano can land between 10,000 and 23,000 SHUs.

The previous record holder, the Carolina Reaper, which was also developed by Currie, averaged 1.64 million SHUs.

Currie described the feeling of eating a whole Pepper X: "There's an intense burn that happens immediately. Then your head kind of feels like, 'Oh no! What's going on?' And then your body just starts reacting. You get it in your arms, you get it in your chest," he said.

"It has no real throat burn like the Reaper, but that comes on later when you're in pain."

Hard pass

Can't lie... I love hot sauce. I put Reapers, Ghosts, and Scorpions with other less deadly (feeling) peppers, and boil or ferment them.

Boiling them makes everyone cough and tear up. 

I'll try X or a Dragons Breath with some sweet and hot peppers and some side peppers (cayenne, Thai, maybe Habs) in a sauce if I can find them. 

I'm not opposed to a bite from a Reaper, Scorpion, Ghost... But I'm not just eating them to eat them like a Serrano. That's just crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Can't lie... I love hot sauce. I put Reapers, Ghosts, and Scorpions with other less deadly (feeling) peppers, and boil or ferment them.

Boiling them makes everyone cough and tear up. 

I'll try X or a Dragons Breath with some sweet and hot peppers and some side peppers (cayenne, Thai, maybe Habs) in a sauce if I can find them. 

I'm not opposed to a bite from a Reaper, Scorpion, Ghost... But I'm not just eating them to eat them like a Serrano. That's just crazy. 

I grew some this year that came up as volunteers. They didn't set peppers at all this summer. They finally started to after it cooled off some. They will light you up. Kinda Tabasco shaped, but a little smaller. Upright on the plant. I don't know what they hybridized from but they are dangerous as hell. Little bite sized bombs.

5 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I grew some this year that came up as volunteers. They didn't set peppers at all this summer. They finally started to after it cooled off some. They will light you up. Kinda Tabasco shaped, but a little smaller. Upright on the plant. I don't know what they hybridized from but they are dangerous as hell. Little bite sized bombs.

Yeah, our plants did nothing this year, then we just quit trying with the water. 

I need to figure out a fall superhot plan of some sort. 

12 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Cool. Where did you get the X seeds? 

Our Reapers might still make it (even though I accidentally set one of raised beds on fire... don't judge me.

29 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Cool. Where did you get the X seeds? 

Our Reapers might still make it (even though I accidentally set one of raised beds on fire... don't judge me.

I really don't know. I had Tabasco, cayenne, banana, and some jalapenos in there last year. No telling which ones were the parents. They came up everywhere. Big tall plants. They kept growing all summer, big fat leaves and flowered well, but would not set bud. I cut them back because they were crowding out other stuff. Zero fucks given, kept on growing. I left one alone that is back by the compost pile. It's about 4' tall. Little light green peppers about an inch long. One nibble was enough to light me up. I'm thinking it's primarily Tabasco but they are a little smaller than a true Tabasco.

If a pepper is basically being raised to be made into bear spray or paint stripper I will hard pass.

I used to be able to eat a fresh habanero without much discomfort. In 00 I had extensive sinus surgery and once healed my scoville chart got rearranged. Now anything beyond a jalapeño will split my head in two.

• Like 1