Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

43 minutes ago, WBT said:

2 hits in the first 2 innings: Meyers and Loperfido.  Progress!

Loperfido having himself a nice spring training so far. Still may not make the big club, but he'll get some call ups during the season if he starts in AAA

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I remember the years Lewis Brinson lead the MLB in Spring Training homers with like 9.....and sucked the rest of his career

He hit 2 HRs and all the Giants fans were so excited, is he another Farhan Zaidi find?

No, he fucking sucks, and collecting a bunch of shitty cheap players is not a secret recipe for success.

Single game tickets for the first half on sale now.

anyone trying to redeem buddies vouchers for tickets getting nonsense?

I try to use the voucher and the price to pay shows $999.

also have a couple of vouchers acquired from the Astros foundation charity game last year and shows no events are available to redeem for those.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

anyone trying to redeem buddies vouchers for tickets getting nonsense?

I try to use the voucher and the price to pay shows $999.

also have a couple of vouchers acquired from the Astros foundation charity game last year and shows no events are available to redeem for those.

On the 2nd point, I guess those charity game vouchers I bought last year are only good for the 2024 charity game. I didn’t realize that.

just called on the Buddies fiasco and they said “yeah we know. Maybe they’re still trying to update the website. Try again later.”

#relentless

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Haha 1

For no one that cares, the voucher stuff is fixed

in actual baseball talk:

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-injuries-and-roster-moves

March 1: RHP Justin Verlander back on the mound Sunday
Verlander, who showed up at camp two weeks behind because of a shoulder issue, will throw another bullpen session Sunday. Verlander ramped up the intensity on his bullpen work on Tuesday and has responded well so far. If the bullpen goes well, Verlander could start throwing a live batting practice session soon thereafter.

The Astros have not ruled out Verlander for Opening Day. Read more >>>

March 1: RHP Forrest Whitleyremains a no-throw
Whitley has yet to throw a baseball since he had to scratch his Feb. 24 live batting practice session because of a sore middle finger. Whitley was going to be a "no-throw" for a week and manager Joe Espada said Friday he was feeling better and the inflammation was reduced. Whitley, the Astros' former No. 1 prospect who's had a history of injury problems, came to camp this year vying for a spot in the bullpen.

March 1: RHP J.P. Franceprogressing in bullpen sessions
France has yet to face hitters in the spring, putting his availability for the start of the season in doubt. He threw another bullpen session on Thursday without any issues. France reported to camp with shoulder inflammation.

Framber had a terrible outing in his first start today, 5 H 3 ER 1 BB 1 HBP. Hopefully it's just working out the kinks, but if not, the team is going to need to figure out something else for the rotation. Might need to be sooner than the trade deadline though if JV misses some time.  Something to watch is if Cleveland isn't in position to win their division by mid-season, Shane Beiber should be available if the Astros need another Ace for the playoffs. They haven't been able to work out an extension with him, and likely won't pay the 25-30m a year he's looking for.  They do value cheap players with lots of control, like France, Meyers, Pena and prospects, so the Astros may be able to snag him if they want to. 

57 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So apparently the Astros were working on something last night in the Mets game. Every ball put into play was on the 1st pitch. Every walk was 4 pitches, and every K except one came on 3 pitches.

They were trying to play real life R.B.I. Baseball?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WBT said:

Two doubles for Meyers and a HR for Yainer in the first two innings

In his first two at-bats today, Jake Meyers has hit two doubles.

First with an exit velocity of 100.7 MPH and the 2nd at 107.3 MPH.

RAKE MEYERS

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

On 3/1/2024 at 10:20 AM, UTexasFight said:

Man these prices are getting out of hand.  Saturday game get in the door ticket (nosebleed in 405)  is $49 after fees.  

Monday get in the door ticket is $40 after fees. 

My days of going to 20+ games a year are over 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Man these prices are getting out of hand.  Saturday game get in the door ticket (nosebleed in 405)  is $49 after fees.  

Yep. 1-2 games per season for me.. After I take the kid its a $300-$400 day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

You could pretend to have a kid and sign up for the buddy program. https://www.mlb.com/astros/community/buddies

4 tickets for ~$40 is a good deal. You can use it to discount tickets wherever in the stadium too, doesn't have to be in the nosebleeds.

• Hook 'Em 2

The best part about buddies tickets that I didn’t realize before (or maybe they have screwed up right now) is that there are no taxes or fees tacked on.

so you get the $19 value/discount applied to every eligible seat but you also don’t pay 8.25% sales tax on the base ticket price + another ~9-10% in service fees on each ticket.

So I parlayed a $35 buddies membership into $160 in savings on some 3rd row seats to a twins game in June.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

The best part about buddies tickets that I didn’t realize before (or maybe they have screwed up right now) is that there are no taxes or fees tacked on.

so you get the $19 value/discount applied to every eligible seat but you also don’t pay 8.25% sales tax on the base ticket price + another ~9-10% in service fees on each ticket.

So I parlayed a $35 buddies membership into $160 in savings on some 3rd row seats to a twins game in June.

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1