2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread - I'm watching, just like you guys

gsoda3

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

We are out of the play in.  We are not out of a possible matchup with Denver in the first round.  We either need to lock in the 5-seed, or Denver needs to clinch 2 or higher.  Once either of those happens, then rest rest rest.  

I don't know. Mavs just need 1 win or a NO loss and the 5-seed is locked. NO has the Kings (who are desperately trying to avoid the play-in themselves), LAL, and GS. All those teams have something to play for.

If the Mavs lose tonight, they can go all-out against Detroit at home on Friday if NO hasn't lost by then. Hell, I think they should play the starters regardless in the game since there's such a long break. Just no need to be aggressive on a B2B. 

On 4/7/2024 at 9:53 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

He sure has rehabbed his image here. Bold move by Cuban and Nico, and I don’t know where we’d be without him. Him, Gafford, PJ, Exum and DJJ have been absolute crucial pickups in the last 14 months. This team is so much fun, and all of these guys are playing key roles. Need Lively to come back healthy for playoffs. 

47 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

He sure has rehabbed his image here. Bold move by Cuban and Nico, and I don’t know where we’d be without him. Him, Gafford, PJ, Exum and DJJ have been absolute crucial pickups in the last 14 months. This team is so much fun, and all of these guys are playing key roles. Need Lively to come back healthy for playoffs. 

It's pretty crazy how all of these trades were poorly thought of pretty universally and they've all looked like amazing bargains. Nico has done an incredible job

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, crum said:

It's pretty crazy how all of these trades were poorly thought of pretty universally and they've all looked like amazing bargains. Nico has done an incredible job

I thought Ky was a major risk that could work out beautifully. I thought it was a disaster after last season and at that point it was. I thought the PJ / Gafford trades were no brainers. I still never could’ve imagined how quickly it’d all come together, to the point where we go 16-2 down the most crucial stretch of the season and really look like we could make a deep run. I’m not scared of really anyone except the Celtics and this team doesn’t appear to be either. 

Edit to add I think we stole PJ and Gafford. Two instrumental pieces that average 53 starter minutes, 23 ppg, 13.5 rpg (MUCH needed), and 3 bpg (huge). And we gave up nothing immediate and probably nothing in the mid term. They have totally freed up Luka and Kyrie to be their best selves. 

Edited by Rex Kramer
  • Hook 'Em 1

We've clinched no worse than the 5-seed, as well as the meaningless division.  The only reason to keep trying to win is to try to get homecourt from the Clips, but we essentially have the same home and away records as them, so I don't see that as much of a gain.  Time to rest in my opinion....except Hardaway.  Play him 40 minutes the rest of the way.  

• Hook 'Em 1

We've clinched no worse than the 5-seed, as well as the meaningless division.  The only reason to keep trying to win is to try to get homecourt from the Clips, but we essentially have the same home and away records as them, so I don't see that as much of a gain.  Time to rest in my opinion....except Hardaway.  Play him 40 minutes the rest of the way.  

cosign

Phoenix beating the Clippers last night makes it interesting, but the Clippers have the tie-breaker over the Mavs, meaning they would need to lose both of their last 2 games for the Mavs to even have a chance to jump them. I agree, time to rest. 

4 hours ago, idigTexas said:

There is no gain and we aren't getting the 4th seed.  LAC has home games against the hapless Jazz and sputtering Rockets.  I'd keep the pedal down for reps and continuity into playoffs, but not press the issue unless LAC loses to Jazz tomorrow.  LD and Ky don't need 36 minutes like last night.    

This team is so fun to watch and the most excited I've been in the last 5 years going into the playoffs with their potential.

But then I watched the Twolves/Nuggets game last night and saw Jokic have a quiet and boring (yet somehow amazing) 41 point, 16 for 20 night. Nuggets are scary. Boston probably too. Outside of those two we should beat anyone. We catch fire and get lucky and can beat the Nugs/Celts.

the MVP race is over.  don't waste that g.

we've got the 5 locked up.  very slight chance at the 4- we gotta win our last two (detroit, @okc) and LAC have to lose their next two (utah, rox).  the home court advantage that comes with the 4 would be huge but i've come around to resting ky and luka the next two games.  luka especially, he's gotta get that knee right.  give em the next week and a half off.  put them in bubble wrap in a padded room.  hopefully lively also comes back healthy with an edge.  and luka will be playing with a chip on his shoulder for getting disrespected in the mvp race. 

59 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

we've got the 5 locked up.  very slight chance at the 4- we gotta win our last two (detroit, @okc) and LAC have to lose their next two (utah, rox).  the home court advantage that comes with the 4 would be huge but i've come around to resting ky and luka the next two games.  luka especially, he's gotta get that knee right.  give em the next week and a half off.  put them in bubble wrap in a padded room.  hopefully lively also comes back healthy with an edge.  and luka will be playing with a chip on his shoulder for getting disrespected in the mvp race. 

What's the latest on Lively? I'd really like to see him come back and get some minutes before the season ends. 

12 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

What's the latest on Lively? I'd really like to see him come back and get some minutes before the season ends. 

they gave an update last night and said he's not coming back for any of the regular season games.  

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Tend to agree it’s over, but Luka’s odds have gone up sharply. It makes zero sense why Jokic gets it. What is hurting Luka is his sidekick is a top 10 player and Murray is not even close. 

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

the home court advantage that comes with the 4 would be huge

I'd rather have it than not, but I don't agree that it would be huge.  The Mavs have the same home and road record, and the Clips essentially do as well.  I don't really see home court being a factor in this matchup.

image.png.89a6b5f38f3bdcf71301eba75b6f856b.png

I'd rather have it than not, but I don't agree that it would be huge.  The Mavs have the same home and road record, and the Clips essentially do as well.  I don't really see home court being a factor in this matchup.

Yep. Would rather have it, but Utah is gonna have to beat LAC at Staples and then Rockets have to beat them at Staples for us to have a chance. 

We are, by far, the hotter team, which I’ll take over any 1-game HC advantage. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, idigTexas said:

i think it'd mean more to us than the clippers to have home court advantage.  this group (luka and gafford especially) feeds off crowd emotion . a gafford block, offensive rebound, or dunk sends the crowd into a frenzy and i've noticed a few times since the trade it's picked us up when it looked like we were tired.  

On 4/12/2024 at 8:41 AM, Rex Kramer said:

Tend to agree it’s over, but Luka’s odds have gone up sharply. It makes zero sense why Jokic gets it. What is hurting Luka is his sidekick is a top 10 player and Murray is not even close. 

That's why Jok is going to get it.  He's never played with another All Star on his team in his entire career and they're the defending champs and tied for the best record in the West this year.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

That's why Jok is going to get it.  He's never played with another All Star on his team in his entire career and they're the defending champs and tied for the best record in the West this year.

Yeah. Jok has a fantastic supporting cast though. Reminds me a lot of what Dirk had a lot of years in his prime. A lot of really good help.  No superfriends sidekicks. 

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

Yeah. Jok has a fantastic supporting cast though. Reminds me a lot of what Dirk had a lot of years in his prime. A lot of really good help.  No superfriends sidekicks. 

If you guys get tired of Luka, I'd love to give Jokic a superfriend sidekick.

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2024 at 7:02 AM, Longboard Horn said:

NSIAP

Love this. And give this man the MVP this year and he needs a championship in the next few.

I worry about his longevity-- both as a Mav and as an elite, all-timer-- as he always looks so dang worn out. Bro has been playing pro ball since he was like 14 or something.

As Indy says, 

Edited by BeardIP