Bitch about family CR slugfest

cactusflinthead

On 11/26/2023 at 10:39 PM, Willfully Horn said:

One Thanksgiving, my mom’s oldest sister asked me if I was smoking weed. Sure, Aunt Caroline, every day, says 17 year old me. Ain’t it just like a teenager, she says, tell you the truth to your face and expect you not to believe it.

That’s all I got.

This Thanksgiving while we were eating turkey dinner, my sister told us a story about her recently trying a THC gummy she bought at a vape store. Apparently it didn't get her high but had the side effects of being high.

Then my other sister said you have to be careful of the gummies because she took too much in Colorado and ended getting stuck in a repeating circle at a Chik Fil A drive-thru. lol she doesn't know how long she was there but that's when it kicked in then she parked and freaked out for good while.

That story was finished with, "I only smoke weed now." Then told us about her and a cousin smoking joints on Lake Travis the prior week.

My dad just laughed with a "wtf" face.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/28/2023 at 9:01 AM, YGIFS said:

But Trump harnessed the power of looking backwards.

Yep. Just like Ronnie Reagan and his "Morning in America," expressed in that TV ad dripping with nostalgia for the "good ole days" ... flag waving, gettin' hitched young people, picket fences, small town Americana .... Going backward into a mythic yesteryear.

The entire Republican agenda is to get back to the 1950s culturally and the 1500s spiritually, in some dream world of an American capitalist theocracy under God. Before all that 1960s Leftist liberalism ... and hippies and sexual freedom ... and civli rights and gay rights and women's rights ... and taking prayer outta schools ... and ecology and environmentalism and ... NASA showing Earth as a tiny little planet floating in the cosmic void...

Before all that stuff, America was great. Just Like Ronnie said. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
Typo.
  • Drool 1

26 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

Yep. Just like Ronnie Reagan and his "Morning in America," expressed in that TV ad dripping with nostalgia for the "good ole days" ... flag waving, gettin' hitched young people, picket fences, small town Americana .... Going backward into a mythic yesteryear.

The entire Republican agenda is to get back to the 1950s culturally and the 1500s spiritually, in some dream world of an American capitalist theocracy under God. Before all that 1960s Leftist liberalism ... and hippies and sexual freedom ... and civli rights and gay rights and women's rights ... and taking prayer outta schools ... and ecology and environmentalism and ... NASA showing Earth as a tiny little planet floating in the cosmic void...

And you know--Biden could adopt that commercial damned near word-for-word next year, and it'd be accurate the way things are trending.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, F250 said:

This Thanksgiving while we were eating turkey dinner, my sister told us a story about her recently trying a THC gummy she bought at a vape store. Apparently it didn't get her high but had the side effects of being high.

Then my other sister said you have to be careful of the gummies because she took too much in Colorado and ended getting stuck in a repeating circle at a Chik Fil A drive-thru. lol she doesn't know how long she was there but that's when it kicked in then she parked and freaked out for good while.

That story was finished with, "I only smoke weed now." Then told us about her and a cousin smoking joints on Lake Travis the prior week.

My dad just laughed with a "wtf" face.

pics?

On 11/27/2023 at 9:32 PM, elfenix said:

ah yes, we should take totally seriously the admonition not to listen to celebrities from the people who elected an actor and a game show host to the presidency. 

Reality game show host.  Otherwise, you're insulting Bob Barker, Alex Trebec and others (we'll ignore Chuck Woolery for a moment).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

One ironical thing, though, is that you can draw a pretty straight line to "children of the 60s" and Trump voters, i.e. boomers.

And, it wasn't the liberal politics of the 60s, per se, but a lot of the self-seeking and self-regard of various non-political movements that have gotten us in something of a pickle as a country

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, F250 said:

Holy shit I’d love to be stuck at CFA while high. I’d slam an entire party tray of nugs 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

This is the part that I can't wrap my head around.  I grew up in the church.  I still consider myself a Christian.  But the hate spewed by others who claim the same faith really makes me sad and/or angry.  Jesus was all about love and serving others and these people are all about hate, and wanting to destroy others who look or act differently than they do.  But they wrap themselves in Christianity.  They go to church every Sunday and apparently do not listen to a word that is preached.  Or, even worse, they go to a church that preaches hate.

I'm unsure Christians have ever really lived up to their ideals. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Fair points.  Most followers of most organized faiths fall well short of their portended ideologies.  Christians aren't unique to that.  But they tend to be more obnoxious than most in their failings because the one thing they were told not to do, judge others, is like their main jam.  

I was laughing about this with a Jewish friend of mine (he laughs that I conveniently mention my 1/4 Sephardic Jew blood only when it's beneficial to me) in Fort Worth over Thanksgiving.  He worries a lot about the Evangelicals kind of winding down in socio-political influence the last year or so.  They're torn between knowing they backed a complete heretical fraudster in the form of a man who couldn't name 3 books of the bible if there was a blowjob from his eldest daughter in it for him; and having to accept their movement is about one man, but that one man is Jesus Christ...not some asshole from Atlantic City.  But we laughed about evangelizing nothingness.  And why Jews don't do it.  The world, especially now yet again for the 137th time, vilifies Jews for spreading their filth and lies...when all the while...they're the one fucking major faith that doesn't actively evangelize or recruit or convert.  In fact, they're the opposite.  The whole platform is, "Nope, we're all set for membership.  You do you brother/sister..."  Even folks we know that marry into Judaism, the other spouse's family is of the opinion, "You're welcome to convert.  But honestly, it's more interesting if you don't.  Sangre por Sangre."  I told him that a couple of my cousins on my mom's side which is where our Sephardic blood is from, converted to full-on Judaism.  Some remained Catholic.  Some went the way of the Dad.  Some are agnostic.  It's a crapshoot.  But yeah, despite being one of the older and more powerful faiths around, there's a reason you don't hear Jews shouting from street corners that God is judging them for their sinful behavior and there is only one true path.  But my God, the Texas Evangelicals, can y'all shut the fuck up for two fucking seconds and let me worship in peace?  Even my Catholic in-laws at Thanksgiving admitted finally that they know none of their 4 sons-in-law with convert to their Church and they are totally at peace with it now.  Which is good.  One of us is a Lutheran Jew (me), one is Southern Baptist (but not practicing), one is non-denominational Vietnamese Christian, and one is non-denominational African American Christian.  And  because nobody is actively recruiting at the dinner table, we get along just swell except that I'm borderline legally insane.

• Haha 1