Surly Horns 2023 Season Rewatch

Bodacious Bevo

The 2023 Texas Longhorns football season was awesome. Let's relive and appreciate it in this thread.

Each Monday, I'm going to post the highlights, every play, and broadcast replay for our games this year. We can take the week to watch and discuss, book club style. If I did my math right, the last game will be posted the week leading up to the spring game. 

Here are some guiding questions for discussion: What are your general thoughts on the game? What were your thoughts back when the game was played? Did you see anything on rewatch that you missed during the season? What players were underappreciated for their performance? In hindsight, how did the team's performance fit in with season trends? Did you see anything from young guys that will be stepping into larger roles in 2024? 

Game 1 was against the Rice Owls, of course. 

Highlights

Every Play

Broadcast

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 8

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to post Game 2 yesterday but here is the Alabama game!

AP Ranking Before: 11

Highlights

Every Play

Broadcast

AP Ranking After: 4

Postgame Articles

I watched this game by myself in my home office and I was fucking pumped. Burke was a monster. I hope we get to see more of that after an offseason of development and getting healthy. Sark baptized Caleb Downs in CFB. The OL bounced back in a huge way after giving us a panic against Rice. Oh, and Isaiah Bond and Amari Nyblack had some nice plays too. 

• Hook 'Em 5

• Bodacious Bevo changed the title to Surly Horns 2023 Season Rewatch

crickets GIF

Jk. That Bama game was one of my favorite Texas games ever - and it was a classic cfb game. I'm hoping we can look back in a few years and circle that as the night where Texas was truly back and had finally righted the ship.

• Hook 'Em 1

Immamac and I haven't figured out the hosting yet but here is the Wyoming game. I promise to remember to post on a Monday at some point before the end of the series!

AP Ranking Before: 4

Highlights

Every Play

Broadcast

AP Ranking After: 3

Postgame Articles

Well, this was certainly the letdown game that we all feared after Bama. But the team rallied late and put an inferior opponent away. To their credit, this was the third straight game to start the year where the team finished strong. The narrative around the clutchness of this team swung all sorts of ways over the course of the year. Two quick notes on the actual gameplay: 1) those quick outs were a harbinger of things to come in the secondary and 2) as far as I remember, this was the only really long run we gave up this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/23/2024 at 9:08 AM, Bodacious Bevo said:

Forgot to post Game 2 yesterday but here is the Alabama game!

AP Ranking Before: 11

Highlights

Every Play

Broadcast

AP Ranking After: 4

Postgame Articles

I watched this game by myself in my home office and I was fucking pumped. Burke was a monster. I hope we get to see more of that after an offseason of development and getting healthy. Sark baptized Caleb Downs in CFB. The OL bounced back in a huge way after giving us a panic against Rice. Oh, and Isaiah Bond and Amari Nyblack had some nice plays too. 

I forgot the wide open worthy drop in the first.  Oof but we are gonna miss his soeed

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I forgot the wide open worthy drop in the first.  Oof but we are gonna miss his soeed

Worthy is like 5 plays away from being an all-time longhorn great up there with Shipley. Started to type them out but decided to not go that route. Just sucks all around, but luckily it didn't matter in that game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Week 4! And I'm even posting it on time!

Final Score: Texas 38 - Baylor 6

AP Ranking Before: 3

Highlights

Every Play

Broadcast

Postgame Articles

My big takeaway from the game is that this was the official coming out party for Sweat, Murphy, and the rest of the IDL. We already knew they were good but they completely blew up Baylor's gameplan on the first couple drives. Really strong performance. We also got to see Brooks show out, improved mobility from Quinn (which is something worth revisiting in later games), and stellar red zone defense (two field goals on six trips). And one thing that luckily did not carry throughout the rest of the season was two muffed punts by Xavier Worthy and Jordan Whittington. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Week 5! 

Final Score: Texas 40 - Baylor 14

AP Ranking Before: 3

Highlights

Every Play

Broadcast

Postgame Articles

This was a weird game with Jalon Daniels being a very late scratch. It went from being a fun test to a near-cupcake game an hour before kickoff. Jonathan Brooks had a great game with 200+ yards as he tried to follow in Bijan's 4 TD performance against the Jayhawks last year. Quinn also threw for 300+ and had another long TD run. On the negative side, two of our season-long issues continued to plague us: red zone offense and a deep shot from Jason Bean. 

• 2 weeks later...