Where to go in between London and Amsterdam

midtown

London for two nights.  Going to a EPL match.  Flying out of AMS 6 days later.  4 years ago I went to Brussels and then Bruges.  Might do Bruges again but what else?  Rotterdam? Ghent?  Antwerp?Should we roll over to Cologne? Maybe to Dortmund for another match? 

Stay in London longer and enjoy one of the greatest cities on the world more in full. If you’ve done London before I’d vote for an extended stay in AMS and do Rotterdam, The Hague, etc. The Netherlands is great. Cologne is wonderful so that’d be my third choice since you’ve knocked out Bruges. 

This will be my fourth visit to London.  Done pretty much everything.  But agreed its a great city.  My buddy coming with me has not been so we might end up with an extra day so he can sightsee a bit more

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Stay in London longer and enjoy one of the greatest cities on the world more in full. If you’ve done London before I’d vote for an extended stay in AMS and do Rotterdam, The Hague, etc. The Netherlands is great. Cologne is wonderful so that’d be my third choice since you’ve knocked out Bruges. 

Second the Rotterdam and Hague suggestions, both a short drive from Amsterdam. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Antwerp is a fun town.  As is Brussels. You can train to Brussels....and train to AMS from there.  Win?

I didnt really like Brussels and been there done that.  The eurostar first class from London to Brussels was indeed quite nice.  The Thaleys from Brussels to AMS not so much.  Someone asshole would not get out of my seat but bonus I ended up sitting with three 20 somethings who didnt really believe in bras

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, midtown said:

I didnt really like Brussels and been there done that.  The eurostar first class from London to Brussels was indeed quite nice.  The Thaleys from Brussels to AMS not so much.  Someone asshole would not get out of my seat but bonus I ended up sitting with three 20 somethings who didnt really believe in bras

Antwerp, Ghent, and Bruges all close to Brussels.  And while Thalys isn't completely great, still better than going through the beating that an airport is.

I really like Cologne, but for me it's no more than a day.  See the Cathedral.  Check out the Roman Museum across the street.  Have a few little tiny glasses of Kolsch.  And then you've pretty much exhausted Cologne.  I'm not saying don't go.  I'm saying not to spend too much time there.

If you're interested in Medieval History--and I mean, really, who isn't?--go over to Aachen.  It is generally regarded as the oldest city in Germany and was Charlemagne's capital.  The chapel from his palace is still there (most of the palace was destroyed by the Vikings in 1000), and is kind of the remaining masterpiece of Carolingian architecture.

• Hook 'Em 2