Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I honestly don't know what to think of her.

Along with Tlaib, she's the first black Muslim woman in Congress in America's entire history. And she's the first to ever not be someone who is trying to "pass". She is unashamedly black and Muslim. I'm not throwing shade at Tlaib, who I ALSO love, just pointing out that Omar is facing the full on anti-Muslim racism of America completely alone and shattering an important block in our political and social system.

If we drum her out and destroy her over a belief that she's anti-Semitic without her ever actually saying or doing anything anti-Semitic, what even are we trying to be as a party? What are we even trying to accomplish?

While I'm glad to listen to and respect the experiences and feelings of Jewish Americans, they don't get to decide between the Good Muslims and the Bad Muslims. I would say "flip the script and ask yourself how we'd react", but we already knew. For decades, Jewish politicians have been saying and doing far worse things to Muslims (at home and abroad) than anything Omar is accused of saying or doing. Compare her to, let's say, Chuck Schumer post-9/11 and his full-throated support of domestic oppression of Muslims and mass-murder of Muslims abroad.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have a very progressive Jewish friend from Minneapolis and he despises her.  He is absolutely convinced she is a hard-core anti-Semite.  It's a very complicated story for some people.  I can't even try to get a clear bead on his disgust because he gets very emotional about it whenever the subject is broached.  I've given up.  I honestly don't know what to think of her.

most muslims are hardcore anti-semite.  and most jews are hardcore anti-muslim. he is no more objective than her.  i agree, it's a very complicated story. i personally did not feel like what she said was even remotely anti-semite so the whole thing was blown out of proportion by the right because they have it in for her.  they're like lions waiting to pounce, at her earliest, simplest misstep. if her or aoc were to show up with one button undone on their blouse there would have to be a resolution about dresscode. 

the right has to find something, desperately, to take the heat off of trump, even for a second.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Along with Tlaib, she's the first black Muslim woman in Congress in America's entire history. And she's the first to ever not be someone who is trying to "pass". She is unashamedly black and Muslim. I'm not throwing shade at Tlaib, who I ALSO love, just pointing out that Omar is facing the full on anti-Muslim racism of America completely alone and shattering an important block in our political and social system.

If we drum her out and destroy her over a belief that she's anti-Semitic without her ever actually saying or doing anything anti-Semitic, what even are we trying to be as a party? What are we even trying to accomplish?

While I'm glad to listen to and respect the experiences and feelings of Jewish Americans, they don't get to decide between the Good Muslims and the Bad Muslims. I would say "flip the script and ask yourself how we'd react", but we already knew. For decades, Jewish politicians have been saying and doing far worse things to Muslims (at home and abroad) than anything Omar is accused of saying or doing. Compare her to, let's say, Chuck Schumer post-9/11 and his full-throated support of domestic oppression of Muslims and mass-murder of Muslims abroad.

Agree 100%. However everyone is more worried about scoring points via talking points to their base than having an actual grown up conversation and in today's social media world it's worse than it has ever been. Headlines sell and sadly that is what at least half of this country reads or reacts to because they don't have time to read the whole story or have an honest discussion because "I'm right, and you're wrong". 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

most muslims are hardcore anti-semite.  and most jews are hardcore anti-muslim. he is no more objective than her.  i agree, it's a very complicated story. i personally did not feel like what she said was even remotely anti-semite so the whole thing was blown out of proportion by the right because they have it in for her.  they're like lions waiting to pounce, at her earliest, simplest misstep. if her or aoc were to show up with one button undone on their blouse there would have to be a resolution about dresscode. 

the right has to find something, desperately, to take the heat off of trump, even for a second.

i think they were quick to jump on the "jew money" trope, when she was really talking about lobbying more generally. and she was doing so in criticizing us-israel policy. 

it's all so disingenuous. it's exhausting.

• Like 4

Just now, bad_teammate said:

The honest truth is that the United States, on the whole, doesn't really think of these people as human beings.

That is why Omar is being treated the way she is.

Bullshit. SOME part of it but it sure as hell isn't "the United States as a whole". We can all be better but that is a lazy and wrong take. 

This board can quite often be a cesspool of nonsense but I appreciate the discussion on this topic this morning.

It’s uncomfortable and I don’t think something that can be solved by ding dongs posting on the internet but some of y’all are pretty smart and I like learning stuff so thanks.

Just now, workswithseed said:

Holy shit, this is kinda awesome. She says something sorta racist, but she's being hounded on cause everyone else is racist. It's just too funny.

If we're talking about Omar, she's already won this particular round of nonsense. It's her critics who are exposing themselves as panderers.

21 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Please tell me how her actual comments are anti-Semitic.  Do you think criticizing the KSA and its lobby is anti-Arab?

I'll summarize a few of his complaints as best I understand them:

1.  Omar did an about face on BDS of Israel (Boycott, Divest and Sanction), telling Jews she didn't support the movement prior to the election and then advocating for it after she was elected.

2.  this was anti-Israel, and so perhaps not anti-Semitic, but in a 2012 tweet she wrote “Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel. #Gaza #Palestine #Israel”

3.  she recently tweeted “It’s all about the Benjamins” regarding AIPAC's financial support of pro-Israel politicians in Washington DC.  That definitely plays on the Jew/money/power trope that has existed since, well, forever.

It's not absurd to acknowledge that the message behind (3) was a major tool in the Nazi rise to power.  I can understand the concern.  I can also understand the outrage that she, with no doubt whatsoever, advocated against BDS to get votes and then flipped once she won the election.  That's pretty fucking sinister in my book.

At the end of the day, I find it difficult to defend a point of view that supports both Jews and Muslims to either of those two demographics, because they tend to see any support of the "other" as a lack of support for them.  A two-state solution would be wonderful.  I doubt it can ever happen.  I don't know the answer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i really need someone to explain to me why what she said was racist.

please, explain it to me like i'm a six year old.

She associated political support for Israel with money from AIPAC, an pro-Israel special interest group. Some people saw that as associating Jews with money, a millennia old anti-Semitic trope.

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

please, explain it to me like i'm a six year old.

Very simple, she didn't say anything racist, but because she's brown and a Muslim therefore she's a racist. There is absolutely nothing else going on here.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

She associated political support for Israel with money from AIPAC, an pro-Israel special interest group. Some people saw that as associating Jews with money, a millennia old anti-Semitic trope.

political support for nearly anything is all about the benjamins from special interest groups. i think that certain people doth protest too much. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Imagine a white guy saying this about a black dude feeling that he was the victim of racism. I have no idea how a Jewish person feels because I'm not Jewish. Just like I don't know how an African American person feels because I'm not African American.  I'll assume that if the Jewish person feels that her remarks are Anti-Semitic, they would know.

5 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Very simple, she didn't say anything racist, but because she's brown and a Muslim therefore she's a racist. There is absolutely nothing else going on here.

I think that's over-simplifying it a great deal.  There is something going on here, even if it's nothing more than perception and perspective.  Perhaps those of us who aren't Muslim or Jewish should actually fucking listen to both sides.  Yeesh.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'll summarize a few of his complaints as best I understand them:

1.  Omar did an about face on BDS of Israel (Boycott, Divest and Sanction), telling Jews she didn't support the movement prior to the election and then advocating for it after she was elected.

2.  this was anti-Israel, and so perhaps not anti-Semitic, but in a 2012 tweet she wrote “Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel. #Gaza #Palestine #Israel”

3.  she recently tweeted “It’s all about the Benjamins” regarding AIPAC's financial support of pro-Israel politicians in Washington DC.  That definitely plays on the Jew/money/power trope that has existed since, well, forever.

It's not absurd to acknowledge that the message behind (3) was a major tool in the Nazi rise to power.  I can understand the concern.  I can also understand the outrage that she, with no doubt whatsoever, advocated against BDS to get votes and then flipped once she won the election.  That's pretty fucking sinister in my book.

At the end of the day, I find it difficult to defend a point of view that supports both Jews and Muslims to either of those two demographics, because they tend to see any support of the "other" as a lack of support for them.  A two-state solution would be wonderful.  I doubt it can ever happen.  I don't know the answer.

I don't know how one could find (3) to be anti-Semitic given that much of the pro-Israel support that is plumbed by AIPAC and the pro-Israel lobby generally comes from Christian Zionists, and that there are many American Jews who do not support an apartheid practicing Jewish ethnostate.  The pro-Israel lobby and its supporters simply should not be conflated with American Jews.  

One of these days Democrats are going to wake up and realize that Jews make up 2% of the American population, that they vote overwhelmingly for Democrats, and that the evangelical Christians who support Israel are never going to support Democrats.

Legitimately criticizing Israel might result in fewer dollars from AIPAC, but it will not hurt Democrats politically. 

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Imagine a white guy saying this about a black dude feeling that he was the victim of racism. I have no idea how a Jewish person feels because I'm not Jewish. Just like I don't know how an African American person feels because I'm not African American.  I'll assume that if the Jewish person feels that her remarks are Anti-Semitic, they would know.

i guess i could understand this point of view. that makes sense to me. thanks for explaining it like that.

it's a learning lesson for all. what if she had said "it's all about that lobbying, though"

would that have been racist?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think that's over-simplifying it a great deal.  There is something going on here, even if it's nothing more than perception and perspective.  Perhaps those of us who aren't Muslim or Jewish should actually fucking listen to both sides.  Yeesh.

Bingo. 

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I think a whole lot of us, including many Jewish people whose tweets have been posted, are tired of being labeled as using Nazi talking points or being anti-Semitic because we dare question Israel's treatment of Palestinians. Her backtracking on BDS is actually a good point you brought up, but I haven't seen this at all on all the outraged twitter posts. 

This video is about 10 years old now, but it's so completely relevant to this topic.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

i guess i could understand this point of view. that makes sense to me. thanks for explaining it like that.

it's a learning lesson for all. what if she had said "it's all about that lobbying, though"

would that have been racist?

In my opinion, no. But I'm not Jewish. If she's trying to push the narrative that "Jews control congress" she's going to get pushback. Lobbyists control congress of all race, colors and creeds. 

1 minute ago, GSU&UT said:

I think a whole lot of us, including many Jewish people whose tweets have been posted, are tired of being labeled as using Nazi talking points or being anti-Semitic because we dare question Israel's treatment of Palestinians.

Well, I didn't call you a Nazi.  I pointed out that the Jew/money/power paradigm was used by Nazis to drum up anti-Jew sentiment during the Nazi rise to power.  I did this because it's fucking true.

As far as what YOU said, I was reacting to this, which is so dismissive that I'm shocked you don't see how it would piss off half the people in the argument:

but because she's brown and a Muslim therefore she's a racist. There is absolutely nothing else going on here.

. . . and let me further point out that my friend does NOT have a problem with criticism of Israel in general.  He sees the difference between the country and the Jewish people.  I think that's a valid distinction, even if it's murky at times.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

A frank and open conversation would be great. The first step is to start ignoring the loudest whiners and show actual solidarity by not seeing who can be the first to publicly shame the new black Muslim lady in the headscarf.

Nancy Pelosi had a really bad week.

8 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You'd hope they were being honest about an actual racist remark and not just trying to make an issue, which unfortunately has happened in the past.

Jimmy, how on earth do you think people would react if a regular white man or woman said the SAME things? People have been less outraged at Steve King than her, it's fucking ridiculous and I'm sorry you're getting too upset because your friend is possibly, subconsciously, unable to handle Omar's words because she's Muslim.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GSU&UT said:

your friend is possibly, subconsciously, unable to handle Omar's words because she's Muslim.

This is possible.

but because she's brown and a Muslim therefore she's a racist. There is absolutely nothing else going on here.

This isn't.

• Like 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

This is possible.

This isn't.

You're taking that last post as personally attacking your friend. I do not know her, I am absolutely speaking to the Megan McCains and weird fucking evangelicals who honestly believe every single Muslim is indoctrinated to hate Jewish people. These people exist, people like my Dad, and lots of others who post here (certainly they did on Shaggy) and elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

You're taking that last post as personally attacking your friend. I do not know her, I am absolutely speaking to the Megan McCains and weird fucking evangelicals who honestly believe every single Muslim is indoctrinated to hate Jewish people. These people exist, people like my Dad, and lots of others who post here (certainly they did on Shaggy) and elsewhere.

Him.  OK, I'll buy that explanation.  My bad.

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Him.  OK, I'll buy that explanation.  My bad.

I fully realize I'm boiling it down to the simplest explanation, it's a messageboard and I don't have the stamina to write out a bunch of Brisket-length posts. I acknowledge too that trying to speak for Jews is offensive as I am not one (wasn't trying to do that but yes I never clarified it), but you have to admit that this latest controversy are over statements that are even more benign than the "Benjamins" one.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

In my opinion, no. But I'm not Jewish. If she's trying to push the narrative that "Jews control congress" she's going to get pushback. Lobbyists control congress of all race, colors and creeds. 

right, but then what is the best way to discuss the lobbying efforts on israel's behalf? is it simply a taboo? i never saw anything in her roasted comments that indicated that "jews control congress." but money does. that people took it as an anti-semitic trope, i guess i can understand. 

but if any commentary on how money controls policy vis-a-vis israel, how can we have any discussion about the topic?

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

[Rant] I'm so fucking tired of this twitter bullshit. 1 moron who none of us have ever heard of says something moronic and it's painted as if EVERYONE feels this way, because Twitter.  

This shit is divisive and stupid. [/Rant]

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

right, but then what is the best way to discuss the lobbying efforts on israel's behalf? is it simply a taboo? i never saw anything in her roasted comments that indicated that "jews control congress." but money does. that people took it as an anti-semitic trope, i guess i can understand. 

but if any commentary on how money controls policy vis-a-vis israel, how can we have any discussion about the topic?

It's a fair question. 

I think that's a huge problem in our current "state". When someone criticizes something, the knee-jerk reaction isn't to address the concern, it's to attack the person doing the criticizing and question their motives. 

Edited by Cheeseweasel

45 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

I don't get the feeling that she's trying to push "jews control congress", and the way she's criticizing this is appropriate. It does seem to be taboo to say anything negative about Israel. Especially is the one doing the criticizing is a muslim. Bottom line: she can't say anything negative about Israel without being labeled an anti-semite.

Spoiler

The 9 defendants are facing a wide range of sentences. The 3 men who were convicted of trying to join ISIS could get between 30 or 40 years in prison. Four others who pled guilty are facing a recommended sentence of 15 years in prison. The U.S. Attorney’s Office is suggesting about 4 years in prison for the two men who cooperated with prosecutors.

Sentencing hearings have been set for Nov. 14, Nov. 15 and Nov. 16. The following is a list of recommendations, pertaining to each defendant:

Mohamed Abdihamid Farah: Prosecution requested 30 years in prison and lifetime of supervised release.

Abdirahman Yasin Daud:  Prosecution requested 30 years in prison, lifetime of supervised release.

Guled Omar:  Prosecutors requested 40 years in prison. Defense requested 15 years.

Hanad Mustafe Musse:  Prosecution requested 15 years imprisonment, and lifetime of supervised release.  Defense requested 72 months. 

Adnan Abdihamid Farah: Prosecution requested 15 years imprisonment and lifetime of supervised release.

Hamza Naj Ahmed:  Prosecution requested 15 years of imprisonment and lifetime of supervised release. Defense requested half-way house, also has motion to seal sentencing report.

Zacharia Yusuf Abdurahman:  Prosecution requested 15 years prison and lifetime of supervised release.

Abdirizak Mohamed Warsame:  A cooperating defendant, prosecutors recommended 54 months in prison.

Abdullahi Mohamed Yusuf:  A cooperating defendant, prosecutors recommended 42 months in prison.

Ilhan Omar’s letter to Judge Davis, dated Nov. 8

Honorable Judge Davis,

As you undoubtedly deliberate with great caution the sentencing of nine recently convicted Somali-American men, I bring to your attention the ramifications of sentencing young men who made a consequential mistake to decades in federal prison. Incarcerating 20-year-old men for 30 or 40 years is essentially a life sentence. Society will have no expectations of the to be 50 or 60-year-old released prisoners; it will view them with distrust and revulsion. Such punitive measures not only lack efficacy, they inevitably create an environment in which extremism can flourish, aligning with the presupposition of terrorist recruitment: “Americans do not accept you and continue to trivialize your value. Instead of being a nobody, be a martyr.”

The best deterrent to fanaticism is a system of compassion. We must alter our attitude and approach; if we truly want to affect change, we should refocus our efforts on inclusion and rehabilitation. A long-term prison sentence for one who chose violence to combat direct marginalization is a statement that our justice system misunderstands the guilty. A restorative approach to justice assesses the lure of criminality and addresses it.

The desire to commit violence is not inherent to people -- it is the consequences of systematic alienation; people seek violent solutions when the process established for enacting change is inaccessible to them. Fueled by disaffection turned to malice, if the guilty were willing to kill and be killed fighting perceived injustice, imagine the consequence of them hearing, “I believe you can be rehabilitated. I want you to become part of my community, and together we will thrive.” We use this form of distributive justice for patients with chemical dependencies; treatment and societal reintegration. The most effective penance is making these men ambassadors of reform.

The restorative approach provides a long-term solution – though the self-declared Islamic State may soon suffer defeat, their radical approach to change-making will continue as it has throughout history – by criminalizing the undergirding construct rather than its predisposed victims. Therein, this ruling can set a precedent and has the potential to be a landmark case in addressing extremism.

Thank you for your careful attention,

Ilhan Omar
State Representative-Elect – MN 60B

Isis deserves compassion?  aka: "The best deterrent to fanaticism is a system of compassion." -Ilhan Omar

What say you?  

19 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I don't get the feeling that she's trying to push "jews control congress", and the way she's criticizing this is appropriate. It does seem to be taboo to say anything negative about Israel. Especially is the one doing the criticizing is a muslim. Bottom line: she can't say anything negative about Israel without being labeled an anti-semite.

agreed.  if pelosi had said the exact same thing it would have landed with a loud thud.  but when a muslim says it, it's an outrage.  rightwing hypocrisy rears it's ugly head again.  

38 minutes ago, zork said:

Isis deserves compassion?  aka: "The best deterrent to fanaticism is a system of compassion." -Ilhan Omar

What say you?  

I say she's a bit of a bonehead, and if it's true she married her brother to gain entry to the US, then she shouldn't be here, and illustrates the kinds of things wrong with our immigration system.  

If it's also true she refuses to assimilate (as has been reported, and I don't now to what extent of assimilation she was refusing) then why is she here or an elected gov't official for that matter?

ISIS is an enemy of the US, and they don't deserve any more compassion than a dry cell, 3 meals a day, and humane treatment typical of any other prisoner incarcerated in the federal prison system.

55 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I say she's a bit of a bonehead, and if it's true she married her brother to gain entry to the US, then she shouldn't be here, and illustrates the kinds of things wrong with our immigration system.  

If it's also true she refuses to assimilate (as has been reported, and I don't now to what extent of assimilation she was refusing) then why is she here or an elected gov't official for that matter?

ISIS is an enemy of the US, and they don't deserve any more compassion than a dry cell, 3 meals a day, and humane treatment typical of any other prisoner incarcerated in the federal prison system.

That is a very even-handed response.  Kudos to you.  

Hey, look how it differs from your responses to AOC.  Curious.

46 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Interesting points, did you see them on your facebook feed? Or an email forward? Why would someone marry their brother, when the sibling relationship has virtually the same priority to become a US citizen as a husband? But of course you are just asking questions... 

If its true Onboard 2.0 is actually an inbred virginia racist who has alienated everyone in his actual life so he hangs out on a Longhorn message board, his presence here illustrates the kinds of things wrong with the internet fan-based message boards. 

If it is also true that Onboard has no ties, or even interest in Texas sports, and only came here because he was upset his second (or third?) tier university VCU can't hold on to a beloved basketball coach [you can have him back btw], then seriously why is he here? 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, bmore said:

Interesting points, did you see them on your facebook feed? Or an email forward? Why would someone marry their brother, when the sibling relationship has virtually the same priority to become a US citizen as a husband? But of course you are just asking questions... 

If its true Onboard 2.0 is actually an inbred virginia racist who has alienated everyone in his actual life so he hangs out on a Longhorn message board, his presence here illustrates the kinds of things wrong with the internet fan-based message boards. 

If it is also true that Onboard has no ties, or even interest in Texas sports, and only came here because he was upset his second (or third?) tier university VCU can't hold on to a beloved basketball coach [you can have him back btw], then seriously why is he here? 

I was on shaggy 2 -3 years before smart left . Thujones dick

pics brought me to the site which was a great message board. 

Edited by Onboard 2.0

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have a very progressive Jewish friend from Minneapolis and he despises her.  He is absolutely convinced she is a hard-core anti-Semite.  It's a very complicated story for some people.  I can't even try to get a clear bead on his disgust because he gets very emotional about it whenever the subject is broached.  I've given up.  I honestly don't know what to think of her.

It sounds like your friend isn't really that progressive. He's taking her comments personally and not seeing them for what they really are. 

My grandfather was executed by Khomeini's radical Islamic regime. They specifically had a problem with him visiting and "supporting" Israel as well. But I still look at these issues at face value, and Omar's points are 100% valid.

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That is a very even-handed response.  Kudos to you.  

Hey, look how it differs from your responses to AOC.  Curious.

I think if you look at my posts on AOC you'll see a mixed bag. She's said some silly ass shit, but also made some good points. Her appearance in the Cohen hearings was among the most professional and on point.  

I've said a few tines, I like her enthusiasm, but think she needs to close her mouth a little more till she really has some of her topics better researched.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Where is that nonsensical bs about her brother coming from?  She was granted asylum as a refugee along with her father and siblings.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez