Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

8 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It sounds like your friend isn't really that progressive.

Well, you would be wrong.  I have known him for 30 years and he has always advocated for the poor and all minorities, and aligns with pretty much the entire left-wing playbook.  So, good try.  Completely wrong, but good try.

You could actually take my word for it instead of judging someone you don't know based on MY characterization, which might have not been (nor needed to be) complete enough for you to draw your conclusion, but hey, it's surly and it's Friday, so EVERYBODY gets a stupid opinion!

Fuck me for trying to shed some alternate light on the issue.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Well, you would be wrong.  I have known him for 30 years and he has always advocated for the poor and all minorities, and aligns with pretty much the entire left-wing playbook.  So, good try.  Completely wrong, but good try

Sounds like your friend is... human with his own conscious/unconscious biases and prejudices. 

Sorry jj, I didn't mean for it to sound as critical as it did. Just that is seemed like he was taking personal offense in her comments when I don't think that's the correct way to process it. 

These are difficult discussions but absolutely necessary. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

He IS taking personal offense, and like I said, it's hard for me to understand, partially because I'm not a Jew and partially because I know other Jews (perhaps less "religious") who take the opposite stance.

It's complicated as hell.  I'm highly inclined just to never speak with him about it.

The idea that he has deep-seated unacknowledged bias is probably true, because try as he might, he still justifies Israel's position in that region both historically and contextually in the sense that he sees the Jewish people as being continually persecuted, with Israel serving as a "home base" of sorts.

But I will definitely attest to the breadth and depth of his heart and compassion.  He is not anti-Muslim, but he is pro-Jew, and that creates certain instances that can be read as approaching on bigotry.  This issue is no doubt amplified by the fact that Omar is from his district.

I don't think I'm doing him justice here, but I'm trying to give my perspective of what's going on.

Ironically, I have another Jewish friend who is equally as left-wing, equally as smart, and no doubt far less "religious" who is on the other side of this very argument.  It's confusing as hell.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Where is that nonsensical bs about her brother coming from?  She was granted asylum as a refugee along with her father and siblings.

RW Internet bullshit which is why onboard knows about it 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Nsiap:

I like the sentiment, but didn't she just last week say, "I'm or we're the boss now", regarding the new Green deal ??  I';ll take a waiter over most members of Congress.  She''s actually working for her living based on her performance. 

19 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I say she's a bit of a bonehead, and if it's true she married her brother to gain entry to the US, then she shouldn't be here, and illustrates the kinds of things wrong with our immigration system.  

If it's also true she refuses to assimilate (as has been reported, and I don't now to what extent of assimilation she was refusing) then why is she here or an elected gov't official for that matter?

ISIS is an enemy of the US, and they don't deserve any more compassion than a dry cell, 3 meals a day, and humane treatment typical of any other prisoner incarcerated in the federal prison system.

how is assimilation measured? what is the tipping point of 'pass/fail'? why is refusing (whatever that means) wrong?

10 minutes ago, NowThis said:

who doesn't do that? What does "not completely on your terms" mean?

You ever been waiting in aisle to deplane and been crawled over by a person of Asian decent?

Don’t do that.

You ever encounter a pile of wadded up fecal soiled toilet paper in a trash bin?

Don’t do that.

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

You ever been waiting in aisle to deplane and been crawled over by a person of Asian decent?

Don’t do that.

You ever encounter a pile of wadded up fecal soiled toilet paper in a trash bin?

Don’t do that.

there's plenty of bad habits by everyone dude.  Public bathroom shit is being blamed on immigrants now? lulz. 

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

how is assimilation measured? what is the tipping point of 'pass/fail'? why is refusing (whatever that means) wrong?

Good questions, and it's not so much a question of is it wrong it's more a question of why would you move to a country, and not attempt to become a citizen that fits in, and adopts the customs of said country some degree.   Not saying g you abandon your heritage, but the melting pot concept is part of what made us stronger.

10 minutes ago, elfenix said:

this is the same argument that you wasps have been making for 150+ years for everyone who has come here that's not wasp.  it hasn't been right yet.

Then maybe don't come here if ya don't wanna be part of the fabric of the country.  

If I'm moving to Africa/China/France/Viet Nam I'm gonna try to fit in somehow.  I'm not gonna move there and try to change them, or wave my American flag around in peoples faces.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Good questions, and it's not so much a question of is it wrong it's more a question of why would you move to a country, and not attempt to become a citizen that fits in, and adopts the customs of said country some degree.   Not saying g you abandon your heritage, but the melting pot concept is part of what made us stronger.

what customs? every group has their own. America is not really a melting pot, but more of a salad bowl, each element separate yet mixed in.  Free enterprise and money is what makes America strong, not the 'melting pot' lie. 

Just now, NowThis said:

what customs? every group has their own. America is not really a melting pot, but more of a salad bowl, each element separate yet mixed in.  Free enterprise and money is what makes America strong, not the 'melting pot' lie. 

Oy, semantics......  

32 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

As an immigrant... there was nothing I wanted more to fit in as a youth. I think that's the attitude of most immigrant communities... with that said sometimes it takes awhile. And it's not exactly easy thing if some around you always think of you as a foreigner. 

2 minutes ago, YChang said:

As an immigrant... there was nothing I wanted more to fit in as a youth. I think that's the attitude of most immigrant communities... with that said sometimes it takes awhile. And it's not exactly easy thing if some around you always think of you as a foreigner. 

That for sure makes it harder or easier, depending on who's around you.

16 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Bullshit.  Expecting a standard isn’t discrimination.

Save the SJW trope.

wrong. If you pick on immigrants and not the bad habits of the other 95%, it's discrimination by definition. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NowThis said:

wrong. If you pick on immigrants and not the bad habits of the other 95%, it's discrimination by definition. 

See that's the thing....   I dislike 95% of basically everyone.   Inside the US and out.

• Like 1

Then maybe don't come here if ya don't wanna be part of the fabric of the country.  
If I'm moving to Africa/China/France/Viet Nam I'm gonna try to fit in somehow.  I'm not gonna move there and try to change them, or wave my American flag around in peoples faces.

Bullshit. 100% bullshit. See the post below.

Shit, what’s “pure American” varies by region WITHIN THE COUNTRY. In Texas, hanging around the smoker, football tailgates, dove hunts on opening day, etc, are pure America. In Vermont...it’s quite different, but also 100% American. That’s not even accounting for what different ethnicities bring to the table - dozens of cities have a “Chinatown,” or “little Italy,” or any of another 100 nationality-based communities. And that’s cool, and utterly American.

Shit, one of my daughter’s life dreams is to move to Berlin and open a Texas taco joint. Breakfast tacos, fajitas, chips and queso. And shit, make a big deal out of Texas Independence Day, and the Fourth of July. She loves Germany, she loves speaking German...but she’ll always be an American and Texan by birth wherever she lives, and that’s okay. Germany would be richer for it (because tacos). And we’re richer for the waves of Italians, and Irish, and Chinese, and Bangladeshis, and Mexicans, etc etc.

Oh, and as for rude behavior, trust me, regular ‘murican white folks regularly compete in that shit at an Olympic level. Just because their assholery is more familiar to you doesn’t mean that it ain’t assholery.

The only people who don’t appreciate the net benefit that immigrants have brought us and continue to bring us are insecure losers. And as we have a shitload of those, friction ensues.
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Bullshit. 100% bullshit. See the post below.

Shit, what’s “pure American” varies by region WITHIN THE COUNTRY. In Texas, hanging around the smoker, football tailgates, dove hunts on opening day, etc, are pure America. In Vermont...it’s quite different, but also 100% American. That’s not even accounting for what different ethnicities bring to the table - dozens of cities have a “Chinatown,” or “little Italy,” or any of another 100 nationality-based communities. And that’s cool, and utterly American.

Shit, one of my daughter’s life dreams is to move to Berlin and open a Texas taco joint. Breakfast tacos, fajitas, chips and queso. And shit, make a big deal out of Texas Independence Day, and the Fourth of July. She loves Germany, she loves speaking German...but she’ll always be an American and Texan by birth wherever she lives, and that’s okay. Germany would be richer for it (because tacos). And we’re richer for the waves of Italians, and Irish, and Chinese, and Bangladeshis, and Mexicans, etc etc.

Oh, and as for rude behavior, trust me, regular ‘murican white folks regularly compete in that shit at an Olympic level. Just because their assholery is more familiar to you doesn’t mean that it ain’t assholery.

The only people who don’t appreciate the net benefit that immigrants have brought us and continue to bring us are insecure losers. And as we have a shitload of those, friction ensues.

You have a lot of anger issues my friend.

• Like 2

From Limbaugh, here's what the 40% thinks is the gospel truth.

"This is an ongoing political effort that is all part of the worldwide left’s attempt to wipe out the United States, to transform the United States into something that it was not founded to be. "

(impression) “Oh, no, Mr. President, you don’t want to do that. That — that’d be akin to nuclear option! You don’t want to go that far.” But he could make exemptions to this. He can exempt students. He can have any number of exemptions if he wanted to. What do you think would be the practical result if the president actually declared — and again it’s Title 8 United States Code Section 1182(f). It “gives the president the power ‘to suspend the entry of all aliens’ whenever he finds their entry ‘would be detrimental to the interests of the United States.'”
Period!
Stop!

If he did this, what do you think the practical result would be in Mexico, in Latin America, in these countries that are packing up their huddled masses and sending them here? Would they stop, or would they continue to flood the border? I think they’re gonna continue to flood the border no matter what Trump does because I think this is all politics. I don’t think that the root of this is people escaping disease and poverty and what have you.

There’s clearly some of that. We are the richest nation in the world, so by comparison, yeah. But do not mistake that there is a political element motivating this and organizing this and enabling this. How are these people getting here? Somebody has to be paying for that. Somebody has to be accompanying them. Somebody has to be providing services along the way. This is not the Trail of Tears. They’re not taking the hoof express, folks.

This is an ongoing political effort that is all part of the worldwide left’s attempt to wipe out the United States, to transform the United States into something that it was not founded to be. It is an emergency. It is a crisis, and it is detrimental to the United States, the interests of the United States. We simply cannot deal with this. We cannot accept it. These people cannot be absorbed. They certainly cannot be assimilated. That probably isn’t even their objective.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2019/03/06/the-president-has-the-power-to-suspend-all-immigration-right-now/

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Don’t do that.

Don’t do that.

You shouldn't be digging in trash bins.  That's disgusting.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, retread said:

From Limbaugh, here's what the 40% thinks is the gospel truth.

"This is an ongoing political effort that is all part of the worldwide left’s attempt to wipe out the United States, to transform the United States into something that it was not founded to be. "

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2019/03/06/the-president-has-the-power-to-suspend-all-immigration-right-now/

What, exactly, was the United States founded to be?

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If I'm moving to Africa/China/France/Viet Nam I'm gonna try to fit in somehow.  I'm not gonna move there and try to change them, or wave my American flag around in peoples 

When you melt into the pot the pot melts into you.  American culture isn't a rock it's a river 

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez