How Football Was Revolutionized at a Tiny Iowa College: Hal Mumme, Mike Leach etc...

Hornius Emeritus

14 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

You know what, why don't the Jayhawks hire Mumme, and have his staff come along too...

No kidding. He's a legend, he's "only"  66 years old, he's got Texas roots and Texas ties, and at the very least the offense would be fun to watch again.  I mean, he's the offensive coordinator at Jackson freakin' State.  That's a travesty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

No kidding. He's a legend, he's "only"  66 years old, he's got Texas roots and Texas ties, and at the very least the offense would be fun to watch again.  I mean, he's the offensive coordinator at Jackson freakin' State.  That's a travesty.

Agreed, every single word..!

The players from a little college in Iowa took the field with shaggy mullet or high-top fade haircuts, wearing bandannas, their shirts untucked. They looked like a ragtag bunch.

Dana Holgorsen played for Mumme and Leach at Iowa Wesleyan.

Edited by slorch

47 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

This is a fascinating article about how Hal Mumme and Mike Leach invented the air raid offense.  Check out the photo of young Mike Leach!

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/2017/01/07/air-raid-offense-football-revolutionized-iowa-wesleyan-hal-mumme/95760820/

Theres a book about this.  I cant remember the title but i was a great easy read

21 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Why did he never bounce back after the recruiting scandal at KY?

27 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Why did he never bounce back after the recruiting scandal at KY?

He did.  Took the mighty  McMurry Warhawks to there first winning season in, like, ever.  Then led them from from Division III to Division II.  When he left, they skulked right back. 

Leach pays much homage to both LaVell Edwards and Don Coryell as influences on his offense, as well.

Mumme is basically Palpatine and Leach is Vader, if you will...

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

The players from a little college in Iowa took the field with shaggy mullet or high-top fade haircuts, wearing bandannas, their shirts untucked. They looked like a ragtag bunch.

Dana Holgerson played for Mumme and Leach at Iowa Wesleyan.

Small fuckin' world... so did Dana Holgorsen!

The Perfect Pass by S.C. Gwynne, as referenced in the article.  Great quick read.  Unrelated except for the Texas connections, S.C. Gwynne also wrote Empire of the Summer Moon about Quanah Parker and the Comanche Indians -- a fascinating book, should be required reading for any Texan.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, danhorn111 said:

The Perfect Pass by S.C. Gwynne, as referenced in the article.  Great quick read.  Unrelated except for the Texas connections, S.C. Gwynne also wrote Empire of the Summer Moon about Quanah Parker and the Comanche Indians -- a fascinating book, should be required reading for any Texan.

Yep. 

why?

4 hours ago, PencilPusher said:

Damn.....I remember when Mumme was the coach at Copperas Cove....they were in our district and needless to say, they were who you scheduled for homecoming every year. 

Not the easy win in the Mumme years that they were before and after his tenure. I played for Mumme at CC in the Run and Shoot. Interesting guy. Not remotely concerned with defense.

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Not the easy win in the Mumme years that they were before and after his tenure. I played for Mumme at CC in the Run and Shoot. Interesting guy. Not remotely concerned with defense.

Perhaps.....though we went 4-0 vs the Cove in the 80's. including the 2 or 3 years Mumme was there. Seems like they were the homecoming game two of those years. 

Well, OK. You must have gone to Ellison or Waco, because he beat pretty much everyone else at least once, including Temple.  

Still, he began changing attitudes in a program that had been abysmal since the mid-70s. I firmly believe his tenure made the success of the mid-90s to fairly recently possible. 

8 hours ago, Snacks said:
10 hours ago, danhorn111 said:

why?

It details the conflict between the Comanches and Anglo settlers.  Think that is somewhat telling about present day Texans, IMO.  In any event, I thought the Comanche lifestyle (remarkable horse riding skills) was fascinating in itself.  Do recommend.