Big 12 Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2018

Machinator

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-12-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2018

Avert your eyes, Kansas fans.

What they said about Texas:

"That whole Texas isn’t tough thing is way overrated. It has nothing to do with tough, it’s a lack of winning — and losing every way possible. That eats away at a team’s confidence, at a program’s core. That’s why Texas has struggled since the last couple years under Mack (Brown) and through Charlie (Strong) and into (Tom) Herman’s first year. If you’ve lost like they have, anything bad snowballs quickly. That’s Herman’s biggest job there: Getting those kids to believe bad things aren’t the be-all, end-all. You can overcome it."

"Let’s be honest here, too. Texas has struggled because Texas has been average at best at quarterback. You can’t play in this conference and be average at quarterback and win big. The quarterback is everything at every school in college football, but even more so in this conference. It’s the lifeblood." 

"Sam Ehlinger is a tough kid, a battler. I could see him developing into a guy they can win with. But he has to be smarter. He made some really poor decisions last year that cost them games. Not field position or possession — I’m talking games. His ball security was a big issue. He’s young. He’ll learn."

"You want to talk about Texas tough? That team can’t run the ball. We were more concerned with Ehlinger running the ball than anyone else. When you can’t run the ball, a majority of the time it’s because you can’t get a push up front. I can’t remember the last time the Texas offensive line scared us. They’re not pushing anyone around. That’s where is has to start for them."

"They got better on defense as the year went on. They were nothing like the year before. They were in position, played smart and were aggressive under Todd Orlando. They’re replacing a lot of guys on that side of the ball, and that’s where Herman’s recruiting has to start kicking in. It’s time to develop those guys to really change that program."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep.  Nobody is saying we need another Ricky or Earl, but we need something.

Young can bludgeon up big yardage with a line that is just competent. Watson should be able to get plenty of yards on designed passes/sweeps/all that. Can our line be competent and can our playcalling not be shit?

16 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Anonymous?  You can say all of that on the record.

Put the needle on the record..? Naw, it would then be used to "Pump up the volume", as motivation against the coaching staff that leaked the info...

Quote #3 is Gundy.

Regarding the inability to run the ball, I also wonder how we are always so shitty in the run game... then I remember we had the f’ing Doak Walker Award winner just two years ago. It can be done, perhaps Coach Hand can get the line in shape and a couple of the backs can be effective. A passing threat would also help.

8 hours ago, runthebone said:

Anonymous?  You can say all of that on the record.

They don’t want to give bulletin board material to the other teams.  If Baylor’s coach said we could run the ball or had a weak oline publicly our coaches would use that as motivation for the players the week we played them.

Quote #3 is Gundy.
Regarding the inability to run the ball, I also wonder how we are always so shitty in the run game... then I remember we had the f’ing Doak Walker Award winner just two years ago. It can be done, perhaps Coach Hand can get the line in shape and a couple of the backs can be effective. A passing threat would also help.

There’s no way any Head Coach would respond to this survey.

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

There’s no way any Head Coach would respond to this survey.

Yeah, you may be right. The comment just seemed to fit how our game with the Pokes went.

(I’m glad a lot of us kept our old avatars from the old place. You oSu guys are some of the best posters, enemy of our enemy is our friend, and whatnot.)