Kirby vacuum

Whoa.  My grandparents had a Kirby and my Mom inherited it.  She hated it because it was heavy and she had arthritis.  This was probably a 60s model, cast aluminum body.  But that thing would suck a golf ball through a garden hose.  I thought it was fantastic.  We have a Dyson that is pretty pretty good, but it's not even close to that Kirby in terms of raw power.

Damn-  had no idea they were still around.  I can remember growing up that there was a Kirby salesman in town.  When he was out in public it was like the second coming of Moses- he could part the Red Sea of people in any crowd.  Everyone moves aside as he walked by hoping not to get singled out for a new sales pitch...... unless your house was really dirty and you wanted him to come vacuum a room or too for free during his demo. 

I had no idea door-to-door salesmen still existed.  Came home from work one day and saw a new Kirby sitting in the dining room and found various apparatuses throughout the house.  Ask my daughter where all of this stuff came from.  Kirby guy knocked on the door.  Wife initially said know . . . but eventually bought two vacuums.  The only way to get the $1200 deal was to buy two.  Second vacuum was for my MIL.  I'm not bitter about spending thousands of dollars on vacuums, but three years later and I refuse to use it.  Oh, and we have about 600 square feet of carpet in the entire house.

I let him demo it upstairs on a couple of dog pee stains that Ive tried to remove with resolve.  It looks brand new and he did it in about 10 mins   Pee stains are completely gone.  I was bout to spend $3500 on new carpet.  Not sure if its all real but he used my vacuum then used the kirby in the same place and it was pretty disgusting what he pulled out of the carpet.  Then he did the cushions on my couch.  Again.  Disgusted.  

It is heavy but the new ones have some thing that make it easier to push around.  My 12 year old tried it and he had no problems using it. 

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I let him demo it upstairs on a couple of dog pee stains that Ive tried to remove with resolve.  It looks brand new and he did it in about 10 mins   Pee stains are completely gone.  I was bout to spend $3500 on new carpet.  Not sure if its all real but he used my vacuum then used the kirby in the same place and it was pretty disgusting what he pulled out of the carpet.  Then he did the cushions on my couch.  Again.  Disgusted.  

It is heavy but the new ones have some thing that make it easier to push around.  My 12 year old tried it and he had no problems using it. 

About three months after buying the Kirby, the wife decided we needed new carpet.  So we got that too.

It seems to be a really good piece of equipment.  

Have had ours 15 years.

It sucks.

That's what vacuums do...

It has been durable and like others have said, it is heavy as fuck for a vacuum, but it is good at what it does.

If you're spending that much money, Rainbow. Get a used one on ebay and save hundreds. 

This. We bought new and it was ~$3K. But let me tell ya..you have no idea how disgusting your house is until you use a rainbow. It is asthma and allergy certified. Also AHAM certified. You can get a prescription for it actually.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

On 8/4/2018 at 8:12 AM, RowdyVic said:

Rainbow vacuumemoji41.png

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

We used to have a Kirby then replaced it with a Rainbow. The Rainbow is a much better vacuum than a Kirby and the Kirby is a pretty damn good vacuum.

I inherited a Rainbow from my brother many, many years ago.  It worked (works) fine, but that nasty water reservoir after using was just not fun to dispose of / clean basin.  Bought myself a cheap (~$100) Dyson knock off (Shark) vacuum some years ago and you know what?  It works just as well for my needs.  Rainbow has been gathering dust in a closet ever since.

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

I inherited a Rainbow from my brother many, many years ago.  It worked (works) fine, but that nasty water reservoir after using was just not fun to dispose of / clean basin.  Bought myself a cheap (~$100) Dyson knock off (Shark) vacuum some years ago and you know what?  It works just as well for my needs.  Rainbow has been gathering dust in a closet ever since.

My thinking is the opposite. When you flush the dirty water from the Rainbow, the dust and dirt is confined to the water. When you empty a waterless vac, the dust and dirt "puffs" all over you and the area where you are, and when you change the bag it is a dust storm.  

Yeah, I bought the new Avalir model 3 years ago and it's just a phenomenal machine.

WARNING....If you pay more than $950.00 to $1000.00, the salesman is taking you to the cleaners. Offer him 950.00 cash and I guarantee he'll take it. Make him/her give you an extra 6 pack of replacement bags and an extra bottle of liquid soap as well. 

After researching what other people paid, I found out that's pretty much standard retail price. Do not fall for their initial price bid, it's nonsense.