Crazy Rich Asians

Sbbruin

On 8/18/2018 at 1:13 AM, Vito Andolini said:

Holy shit, who knew so many of us were married to Asians? Is yours crazy/mean, too? 😜 Do you play “OK, what flavor Asian is that?” whenever you see one? I’ve had relationships with two, and nothing is more racist than an Asian criticizing another variety of Asian.

#metoo

On 9/4/2018 at 2:07 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Went with wife and daughter. They both agreed with me that it was terrible. Bad acting, cheesy, predictable. It was one of the worst movies I've seen at the theaters. Not sure what others are seeing that say it was pretty good. Certainly isn't worth the RT scores. Chinese paying off reviewers or something.

I have a theory - white guilt.  It's a commonly held belief that minorities are not adequately represented in Hollywood.  So when a movie comes out with an almost entirely ethnic cast, people are afraid to criticize the script or acting because it might be seen as racist.  Or people look at the movie in a more positive light simply because it's an "asian" movie" etc.  "They're getting their chance... good for them.  That's great."  Or that because ethnic groups want to see people like themselves on the screen so they overlook the flaws.  I haven't seen this movie so I can't judge it.  My theories are based almost entirely in the success of Tyler Perry.  

6 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

My theories are based almost entirely in the success of Tyler Perry.  

Tyler Perry ain't making a jillion dollars selling tickets to guilt-ridden white folks.

He's making his money off of black folks, who were an underserved market.  Tyler figured out what they wanted, and has made a fortune selling it to them.  A success of free enterprise all around -- good for him and his audiences.

None of this changes the fact that Constance Wu is smoke.

3 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I have a theory - white guilt.  It's a commonly held belief that minorities are not adequately represented in Hollywood.  So when a movie comes out with an almost entirely ethnic cast, people are afraid to criticize the script or acting because it might be seen as racist.  Or people look at the movie in a more positive light simply because it's an "asian" movie" etc.  "They're getting their chance... good for them.  That's great."  Or that because ethnic groups want to see people like themselves on the screen so they overlook the flaws.  I haven't seen this movie so I can't judge it.  My theories are based almost entirely in the success of Tyler Perry.  

Normally I would disagree with this... but I have seen Western reviewers praise some absolutely god-awful Indian movies. Movies of the "how-the-fuck does-anyone-enjoy-this-five-hour-soap-opera" variety.

Ironically, strip away the decorations and this movie was pretty in line with a standard Indian/Chinese movie plot. Down to the sweet GF marrying a rich BF with a scheming mother-in-law.

Why aren't people from India/Pakistan/Bhutan/Bangladesh/Myanmar/et. al. called "Asians"???  Why, when someone says Asian, do you immediately assume Chinese/Korean/Japanese (and even that delineation is quite rare)?  Nobody parses out "South Americans" and very rarely are specifics attached to "African". 

43 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Why aren't people from India/Pakistan/Bhutan/Bangladesh/Myanmar/et. al. called "Asians"???  Why, when someone says Asian, do you immediately assume Chinese/Korean/Japanese (and even that delineation is quite rare)?  Nobody parses out "South Americans" and very rarely are specifics attached to "African". 

I read your entire post in Jerry Seinfeld's voice in my head

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lhorn said:

and the Black Panther... the best rated movie in marvel universe lol....mid pack at best

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

just context.  if you're in the UK, "Asian" = Indians / South Asians.

7 hours ago, YChang said:

Why would mainland Chinese pay off reviewers for this movie? If anything this movie probably won't resonate over there. 

I don’t necessarily believe they have paid off reviewers but I think that China has a tremendous interest of having themselves viewed in a positive light and has been active in promoting that. 

Edited by Lhorn

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I don’t necessarily believe they have paid off reviewers but I think that China has a tremendous interest of having themselves viewed in a positive light and has been active in promoting that. 

That's understandable. I guess my opinion is that I'm not sure China is "that" interested in promoting the images of American and Singaporean Chinese who are not exact carbon copies in culture as mainland Chinese people. 

On 8/18/2018 at 9:23 AM, satyanash said:

The movie is solid, but it's a much more sanitized, family-friendly version of the book. The book was very sharp, biting satire that I really enjoyed.

Your definition of “solid” and mine are very different.

Wife and I went.  Thankfully, she hated it as much as I did.

The plot was utterly generic Asian soap opera drama, but I thought the movie was very well done because of extreme attention to detail in areas that were unnecessary for most of its audience.

The soundtrack used modern artists on traditional Chinese music as well as Chinese covers of modern American music. As someone familiar with the original Chinese music, I noticed and appreciated this immediately. Bridging Coldplay's "Yellow" crossed musical cultures as well as playing on the slang use of the word yellow, and nearly didn't happen. https://www.bustle.com/p/the-yellow-cover-in-crazy-rich-asians-almost-didnt-happen-for-a-number-of-reasons-10225822

The mahjong scene has gotten a large amount of press, for good reason. It was executed in a way that had meaning at about 4 different layers. For people utterly unfamiliar with the game, it was easy to understand the scene at face value. But for people who do know the game, from the play style to the seating position, there was allegory literally everywhere in that scene. https://www.vox.com/first-person/2018/8/17/17723242/crazy-rich-asians-movie-mahjong

The film did a beautiful job showing the food of Singapore., both in the initial arrival scene showing many of the hawker center specialties, and in the pre-wedding scenes where food is being prepared.

I may agree with some of the Chinese criticism that this really didn't represent China Asians, but the fact that they focused on minute details distinguished this from the normal rom-com dreck.

• Like 1

This will be shocking, but my wife and I liked it(yes, she's Asian too). 

Yes it was stander Rom Com generic stuff, but was pretty well done.  Sometimes those Rom Coms can do it right and it's an entertaining film.  Sometimes it's just to repetitive and sucks.  This is the former to me.