2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

AJ let it slip that Correa is a couple of weeks away from even a rehab assignment. Oops.

What say the resident back doctors? This seems very very not good.

He missed 47 days last year with a freaking torn ligament... 2 weeks from today to begin a rehab assignment will be day 40 since he was placed on the DL 6/26...with “back stiffness.”

Not good

22 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

IDK. Wouldn’t you rather face Cleveland in the ALDS than, potentially, the Yankees.

17 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the yankees would have to (presumably) start severino in the wildcard game, meaning they couldn't start him again til g3 back in new york, in likely his only start of the series.  i don't know who they're gonna trade for, but that person (hamels?) likely starts g1/g4.  same with sox and sale (if they fall back to the wildcard).  kluber/bauer/carrasco/lindor/ramirez/etc are plenty scary, even with the homefield advantage.

finishing 1 would be gigantic.

I agree that the number 1 seed is a big advantage.  Home field advantage in a potential LCS Game 7 is big.  Also like hg says, facing a team that burns its ace in the wild card game is a big advantage in the LDS.  Finally, I think I'd rather face Cleveland than NYY (but it's fairly close with Cleveland's better starting pitching), but with the #1 seed there's also probably at least  a 40% chance you're facing Seattle or Oakland instead.

Edited by WBT

5 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

What say the resident back doctors? This seems very very not good.

He missed 47 days last year with a freaking torn ligament... 2 weeks from today to begin a rehab assignment will be day 40 since he was placed on the DL 6/26...with “back stiffness.”

Not good

he's missed 1/3 of the regular season games since the start of 2017.  

3 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

he's missed 1/3 of the regular season games since the start of 2017.  

Springer missed 43% of the games between his call up in 2014 and the end of the 2015 season.  He played 162 in 2016.

• Like 2

I get being a fan and playing the ideal-postseason-opponent game but it’s pointless at this point.
Trades, injuries, hurricanes and who knows what else will make the Astros/ Yankees/Red Sox/ Indians look a whole lot different on Oct 1 than they do July 21.

No one wanted to play the Indians in the playoffs last year. They were 6 games over .500 at this point in the season in 2017.
They’re currently 10 games over (of course, they won’t win every game in August like they did last year, but I think you get my point).

Start warming up Giles !!!

Speaking of Giles...made me think of Fresno.

I’m impressed that Tucker was able to play in ABQ and Anaheim on the same day:

Not shown but Armenteros had a CG on 147 pitches

1c2c8e3000641aa7f8423231266967b9.png

(Game was completion of suspended game from June 3)

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

getting guys on base and hitting the ball sharply = two common prerequisites for gidp.

Right.  The Rangers' broadcasters bragged about how their pitching staff was near the top of the league in DPs.  Yeah, that's not a good thing.

This is a question primarily for henrygandorf since he lives out there and probably has more insight into the mood in LA. Should the Angels blow it up? 1 playoff appearance in the last 9 years. Not at all competitive the last 3 seasons. Middle of the pack farm system. If they become a seller, who would be on the block?

20 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

This is a question primarily for henrygandorf since he lives out there and probably has more insight into the mood in LA. Should the Angels blow it up? 1 playoff appearance in the last 9 years. Not at all competitive the last 3 seasons. Middle of the pack farm system. If they become a seller, who would be on the block?

Good question. I think they've got 2 more years of Trout after this year. They've been so decimated by injuries this year that they likely give it another run next year, then figure out what to do. 

Realistically it would be tough to get fair value for Trout in a trade right now. Maybe after 2019 they could make something work - they'd still get a helluva package for him. 

I don't care about matchups, I want the #1 overall best record and homefield advantage in every playoff series.

I also don't care about whatever stats show that homefield advantage in baseball isn't as significant as in other sports, I want the homefield advantage.

I also don't care that the Astros have been a better team on the road during the regular season, I want the homefield advantage.

The playoffs are a different animal....and the Astros are almost unbeatable at Minute Maid in the playoffs. The Yankees and Red Sox are also much better at home. We can beat them on the road, but I would definitely prefer having more games at home than on the road.

They could start by firing crybaby.

Stagnant gonna stagnate

23 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

i listen to a decent amount of local radio when i can, and the dodgers occupy 90% of the baseball real estate, possibly more when they're good.  but what i can tell you is that the angels will never appear to be "selling" or "blowing anything up" while trout is locked up (2020?).  it's a really shitty situation to be this tied up to one guy - not in a long-term contractual way (cabrera, pujols, fielder, etc) but tied into the idea that "we have a generational player and we really need to support him and get him to the playoffs" if at all possible.

the self-proclaimed angels narrative this year is that they have plenty of talent but horrible luck.  they've had bad luck with injuries for sure, but the real bad luck is that three historical super-teams happen to be in the same league as them right now (you could add cleveland to the mix too) and none of that is changing anytime soon.  it's a bummer to be them right now. 

god dammit do we have two days off next week?  fucking-a man, what is this, the nba playoffs?

Yeah.
It’s rough but would much rather have this now than in April.
What’s weird is that the same thing happens on each end of a 2 game series against the Rockies at home the 2nd week in August (off day Mon and Thu).