Lyft will be giving free rides to the polls on election day

Gil Bang

Lyft will be getting all  of my drunken business going forward

Lyft wants to help you do your civic duty, so it's giving away free and discounted rides on November 6th. The ride-hailing firm has an existing free ride program for emergency situations and non-emergency ones involving veterans and job seekers. Now, it's also teaming up with Vote.org, TurboVote and Nonprofit Vote -- services that keep you informed about the elections -- to distribute 50 percent off promo codes to those who need them. It's also working with nonpartisan and nonprofit orgs, including Voto Latino and Urban League, to provide free rides to underserved communities in an effort to give them a way to exercise their right to vote these midterms.

The company has pointed out that 15 million people who were registered didn't vote in 2016, mostly because of transportation issues. A previous Pew study from 2014 found that almost half of those who don't make it to the polls come from families that make less than $30,000. By providing free and half-off rides, Lyft is hoping to provide what they need to be able to cast their ballot.

In addition to its plans for the day itself, Lyft pledges to remind users about voter registration deadlines through its social media accounts and by issuing push notifications. It will also provide drivers with voter registration handouts and will participate in online campaigns encouraging people to vote.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Interested to see the profile of who actually would use this:

1) Needs transportation:  Not affluent

2) Has a smartphone and familiarity with Lyft:  Affluent

not exactly true, at least in my experience. when I drove for Ride | Austin most of locals I gave rides to either chose to not have a car or couldn't afford one. Almost everyone has a smartphone now - it's basically considered a staple item these days.

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm guessing Lyft is covering the tab and writing it off. They're still going to pay the drivers.

I'd imagine they'll be able to write it off as a charity/public service thing. The drivers always get paid a full rate even if the rider is paying $5 or whatever on a lyft line pass or other promo

the internet's decade long stupid is/isn't ironic battle needs to end.  can surly be a little utopian part of the web where we don't continue that?

it's clear what he means:  lyft will be getting city dwellers to the polls, who presumably tend left.  leftists in cities have opposed lyft (per the narrative).  wow, someone you opposed ultimately helped you.  is that ironic?  is that not ironic?  who gives a shit.  do we have to keep racing to be the first one to WELL ACTUALLY every time someone uses that word until the end of the internet?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

the internet's decade long stupid is/isn't ironic battle needs to end.  can surly be a little utopian part of the web where we don't continue that?

it's clear what he means:  lyft will be getting city dwellers to the polls, who presumably tend left.  leftists in cities have opposed lyft (per the narrative).  wow, someone you opposed ultimately helped you.  is that ironic?  is that not ironic?  who gives a shit.  do we have to keep racing to be the first one to WELL ACTUALLY every time someone uses that word until the end of the internet?

Hey, get mad at Alanis, not at me.