8.27.18 Coach Herman press conference Noon

bigup2dahorns

Tom honestly said it best. Hope fans will pay heed:

On the offensive coordinator getting criticized: Yeah, I got criticized at Ohio State, and my boss took up for me. I got criticized at Iowa State at times, and my boss took up for me. Major Applewhite got criticized at times, and I took up for him, because it is unfair. It's absolutely unfair.

This is -- again, game plans are formulated throughout the week and throughout the off-season, and there is an immense amount of collaboration in between series of what we want to see, the next series of adjustments that we need to make based on what we're seeing.

Especially in Game 1s, because there is no identity, right? You assume you're going to get something similar to what you got last year, but who knows. There could be something completely different, and you need to adjust.

So that type of collaboration is extremely commonplace. I mean, there isn't -- this is Texas' offense. This isn't Tim Beck's offense. Just like it was Houston's offense and not Major Applewhite's offense. It was Ohio State's offense and not Tom Herman's offense. That's not how it works in college football. It really doesn't.

I don't know if the pros are different. Maybe they are. Maybe they're hired guns and they come in and bring in their own offense, and all the assistants, they just, I guess, play cards during the day and show up to babysit their players at practice, and the offensive coordinator hands them a game plan and says, hey, this is what we're going to do, and everybody stays silent on the headset on game day and this guy just calls the plays. But that's not the way it works in college football.

You know, the two voices that will be heard throughout a series on a play-by-play basis will be mine and Tim Beck's.

2 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Tom honestly said it best. Hope fans will pay heed

They will if our offense doesnt look like a complete dumpster fire again this year.  Beck's criticism was warranted.  The problem is that here at Texas, we dont have much patience, and there is good reason for that (see the past 8 years).  

I agree that Tom handled it well.  He stuck up for his fellow coach, just like he should.  And if we look marginally better this year on that side of the ball, the heat will cool down. 

If not, no one is going to care what Herman says, we deserve better and Herman will start taking the heat for not finding someone better. 

I am willing to start this year with a completely clean slate.  But if we start seeing the same bullshit, we arent gonna settle for Tim Beck when we could have anyone we want.  

3 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

You know, the two voices that will be heard throughout a series on a play-by-play basis will be mine and Tim Beck's.

As long as that dynamic looks something like this:

TB: "running isn't working, let's go with this pass play" 

TH: "that man is a crazy person.  It's late in the fourth quarter, we're up, we have the ball, they're out of time outs, we have a turnover prone freshman qb and a stellar defense.  Ignore him. Run the damn ball."

I see no issues with it. 

• Like 1

To translate: fans should give the coaching staff heat for the performance of our offense. Herm is asking that that criticism go to the appropriate place since most fans don’t understand the inner workings of our offense.

How about, our offense actually be capable of closing out a game without a heartbreaking turnover and then I'll stop bitching.

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

How about, our offense actually be capable of closing out a game without a heartbreaking turnover and then I'll stop bitching.

The idea is to not stop bitching but to direct that bitching to the appropriate place and that place is Tom Herman. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

They just need to take all opponents seriously.

They thought they would shit pump Maryland last year and it showed in the play calling. The 4 wide set with the TE split out was terrible and nothing good every came out of it.

The game against TT when they did the stupid goal line cutesy play vs just running the ball

etc etc etc

At Houston people didn't "get up" to play them. At Texas, everyone hates you. They all want to beat you and it is more personal.

Mudhole Maryland Please.

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

...for continuing to employ and give decision making power to Tim fucking Beck.

I don’t believe Beck was the decider when it came to starting a true freshmen at QB. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

They just need to take all opponents seriously.

They thought they would shit pump Maryland last year and it showed in the play calling. The 4 wide set with the TE split out was terrible and nothing good every came out of it.

The game against TT when they did the stupid goal line cutesy play vs just running the ball

etc etc etc

At Houston people didn't "get up" to play them. At Texas, everyone hates you. They all want to beat you and it is more personal.

Mudhole Maryland Please.

There is absolutely zero excuse to not come out and destroy this coach-less, controversy ridden Maryland team. 

Zero excuses.  We are being thrown a underhanded softball to start the season.  Crush that shit out of the park or get the fuck out. 

• Like 2

The idea is to not stop bitching but to direct that bitching to the appropriate place and that place is Tom Herman. 

Capturedd.jpg

Just a reminder that it was Sams (True Freshman) 2nd game ever AT usc and he almost threw for 300 yards. Also, he got concussed and we had no other options at QB but to leave him in there to throw that heartbreaking interception in OT. He sat out the next game, because he was concussed.

Shit was fucked last year because they didn't have a QB, or an offense fully installed. I don't know if we can expect TH to come in year 1 and instantly create a badass offense and heisman QB. 

What he did do year 1 is come in and fix that poor effort shit, and make sure the guys play their asses off and leave it all out on the field. That's what kept this team from not making a bowl game this year. 

Year 2 we all expect the offense to be flowin, and I think the way TH does that is to get a badass offensive line coach to open up some holes in the run game. They also have an offensive system installed for consecutive years now, so we will see the improvements. We also have a QB with more experience, hopefully he learns to just go out of bounds or slide instead of taking big shots that knocked him out last year. The defense won't have to be "lights out" anymore, so I'm hoping they go all-in on going for turn overs. I love the nickel package as a base in the big12.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

On the offensive coordinator getting criticized: Yeah, I got criticized at Ohio State, and my boss took up for me. I got criticized at Iowa State at times, and my boss took up for me. Major Applewhite got criticized at times, and I took up for him, because it is unfair. It's absolutely unfair.

This is -- again, game plans are formulated throughout the week and throughout the off-season, and there is an immense amount of collaboration in between series of what we want to see, the next series of adjustments that we need to make based on what we're seeing.

Especially in Game 1s, because there is no identity, right? You assume you're going to get something similar to what you got last year, but who knows. There could be something completely different, and you need to adjust.

So that type of collaboration is extremely commonplace. I mean, there isn't -- this is Texas' offense. This isn't Tim Beck's offense. Just like it was Houston's offense and not Major Applewhite's offense. It was Ohio State's offense and not Tom Herman's offense. That's not how it works in college football. It really doesn't.

I don't know if the pros are different. Maybe they are. Maybe they're hired guns and they come in and bring in their own offense, and all the assistants, they just, I guess, play cards during the day and show up to babysit their players at practice, and the offensive coordinator hands them a game plan and says, hey, this is what we're going to do, and everybody stays silent on the headset on game day and this guy just calls the plays. But that's not the way it works in college football.

Translation: "It's August, I'm trying to win recruiting battles. Beck is heavy with some big recruits right now and you're a fucking fool if you think I'm going to get on camera with mics and recorders in my face and tell these recruits that Beck is a tool, shitty OC and that if he's fucking up I'm taking over. Plus, that wouldn't exactly establish a lot of confidence in Beck from the players on our offense right now, now would it?  You idiots act like you don't know how press conferences go, and how coaches talk. *looks into the camera* To the fans, stick with us here, I like my job."

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Translation: "It's August, I'm trying to win recruiting battles. Beck is heavy with some big recruits right now and you're a fucking fool if you think I'm going to get on camera with mics and recorders in my face and tell these recruits that Beck is a tool, shitty OC and that if he's fucking up I'm taking over. Plus, that wouldn't exactly establish a lot of confidence in Beck from the players on our offense right now, now would it?  You idiots act like you don't know how press conferences go, and how coaches talk. *looks into the camera* To the fans, stick with us here, I like my job."

What he said.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Translation: "It's August, I'm trying to win recruiting battles. Beck is heavy with some big recruits right now and you're a fucking fool if you think I'm going to get on camera with mics and recorders in my face and tell these recruits that Beck is a tool, shitty OC and that if he's fucking up I'm taking over. Plus, that wouldn't exactly establish a lot of confidence in beck from the players, now would it?  You idiots act like you don't know how press conferences go, and how coaches talk. *looks into the camera* To the fans, stick with us here, I like my job."

Wouldn’t building up the scapegoat fan theory be better for Herman’s job? Rather than dismantling it and putting the pressure on Herman himself? 

1 minute ago, GW Hayduke said:

Wouldn’t building up the scapegoat fan theory be better for Herman’s job? Rather than dismantling it and putting the pressure on Herman himself? 

He puts it all on himself if he says "I call all of the shots. Beck just talks to me sometimes in the headset. It's calming." He can't say that either, because then HE'S the fuck-up in the eyes of the recruits.

Saying it's both on him and Beck and everyone else helps for this year for the recruits and team moral, right up until signing days. If the offense is a screw up again, he fires Beck and says "Well, he wasn't doing his part. SEE, I addressed the problem and hired this hotshot OC come to me recruits."

It's all coach speak, all talking around things, all making sure he doesn't say the wrong things. Doesn't have to make sense to me or you.

Edited by UncleBuck

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

He puts it all on himself if he says "I call all of the shots. Beck just talks to me sometimes in the headset. It's calming." He can't say that either, because then HE'S the fuck-up in the eyes of the recruits.

Saying it's both on him and Beck and everyone else helps for this year for the recruits and team moral, right up until signing days. If the offense is a screw up again, he fires Beck and says "Well, he wasn't doing his part. SEE, I addressed the problem and hired this hotshot OC come to me recruits."

I suspect Herman wouldn’t say that “he called all the shots” because he has position coaches and a playcaller that all have their roles. However I recall Herman having a vote that counts twice or something like that

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Ask yourself what is more likely since at the end of last year it was a back and forth battle to decide which qb was better.

That both qb’s improved greatly and it was hard to choose between the two? 

Or that both didn’t really progress all that much and that neither separated themselves?

I like to think that it actually wasn’t that close and that 9.95ers don’t know shit and TH is just giving lip service to shame so he stays involved and competes. I hope it’s this and not option b above.

I'm going to roll with ya on this, but I think it is possible for the athlete to 'put in the work" in the offseason" to get the S&C needed to change throwing mechanics positively...

2 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

I suspect Herman wouldn’t say that “he called all the shots” because he has position coaches and a playcaller that all have their roles. However I recall Herman having a vote that counts twice or something like that

He's got the HC veto as well as only counting 3/5ths of the coordinators. Fuckin' dictator. 

49 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

To translate: fans should give the coaching staff heat for the performance of our offense. Herm is asking that that criticism go to the appropriate place since most fans don’t understand the inner workings of our offense.

If your getting paid under the title of "Offensive Coordinator".... that s&*$ show last year while "offensive" was certainly not "coordinated".

He said when it came to the decision on who is starting at QB, he took advice from every coach on the staff, including the defensive coaches. In the end, he said that decision came down to Beck and himself, with Beck getting one vote and he got two votes.

As to the play calling questions, he said it is a collaborative effort and he had the final veto on the call (from listening on the headset I assume).

10 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

11 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

He's the head coach, of course his vote counts twice, or however many times he wants it to count.

All I'm saying is, that with what he said at the press conference, it's not a big deal to me. He's not throwing his OC/probably best offensive recruiter under the bus + not putting most of the blame on himself. It's nothing new for coaches to talk around the facts, and this is his version. He rambled a little too much tbh, should have just kept it at "we all have input in the offense. Me. Tim. Staff members. Bye"

9 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

He's the head coach, of course his vote counts twice, or however many times he wants it to count.

All I'm saying is, that with what he said at the press conference, it's not a big deal to me. He's not throwing his OC/probably best offensive recruiter under the bus + not putting most of the blame on himself. It's nothing new for coaches to talk around the facts, and this is his version. He rambled a little too much tbh, should have just kept it at "we all have input in the offense. Me. Tim. Staff members. Bye"

Honestly it was kind of a big deal IMO. There is media driven narrative that a lot of fans have bought into. That narrative is boiled down to “fuck Tim Beck” and rooted in the idea that playcalling was one of our primary issues with the offense. Herm straight up called it out and shamed the media guy. That’s a big deal in my book

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

You say he called it out, I'm just saying he's covering up for his staff in front of the cameras. Been going on for decades.

It could be both depending on whether you believe playcalling was what held the offense back or whether there were other factors. 

10 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

WTF is this mother fucking Nike crap doing over his fucking heart? EVERY goddam Texas shirt I’ve ever seen has the Longhorn over the heart. Unfuckingbelievable.

Can someone please Tweeter CDC, because Nike-worshipping Tom won’t coach speak his way out of this to his boss. 

I think that's Coach Kartagener's shirt.

If the offense is a dumpster fire again, it really doesn’t matter who’s calling plays. The bigger concern in my mind is that it would be a clear indication that the Tom Herman era will end in a sputter, much like Charlie’s.

this team should look much better than it did last year. If it doesn’t, we’ll be looking for our next coach in a couple of years.

14 minutes ago, deech said:

I like how Herman gets away with that answer after calling the plays in the Texas Bowl.  

Brah, he hooked it up for Armanti on that reverse for a TD. He called a beautiful game, other than the 7 punts or whatever it was.

🤣

29 minutes ago, Artie Fatso said:

Yes...he only gets away with it by the grace of the thoughtless. The rest of the world understand Herman...hopefully he coaches better than he handles questions. 

You mad cause he fucked your sister before you could? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Texas Bowl was the third worst offensive performance of the season.  If anything it strengthens Herman's point.

Hey he got an WR jet sweep for a TD for Armanti and showed off the beautiful precision punting skills of Dickson!