8.27.18 Coach Herman press conference Noon

bigup2dahorns

31 minutes ago, WBT said:

Last year is the only data point we have to judge beck by?

Oh Lawd. That’s a long, windy road with endless data points for comparison and consideration. I’m just talking about what coaches do here. A coach could suck at schools like Kansas & texas a&m, but shine at a Texas or Alabama. 

Edited by GotThatFire

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I can only open the door for you. I can't make you walk through it. Like I said, I'm not saying that Beck is an offensive guru. Just that the OC working for an offensive-minded coach like Tressel, Meyer, and Herman don't have as much control over the offense as you think.

I can't help but notice a correlation between Texas fans bitching about playcalling and an OL not consistently controlling the line of scrimmage. That and a dearth of offensive players, especially offensive linemen, being drafted in the first round. Or early rounds overall. Connor Williams at #50 in the second round was the highest drafted OL in a while, wasn't he?

If you want to see bad playcalling, go look at tOSU's 2011 season when Tressel was removed and Bollman was calling the plays. That's what bad playcalling looks like. 

Believe what you want. I'm just sharing my observations. 

I’m not going to pretend that you know what I’ve posted, but I have recognized ad nauseam that we have been talent deficient at a number of positions. I fully expected us to fail last season offensively because our players weren’t great. I did not expect our coaches to call plays that ensured failure before the play began. And I posted numerous examples of those plays on this site. Having a dearth of talent is not an excuse to use your poor talent stupidly. 

All coordinators, particularly those with HC’s specializing on their side of the ball, deal with meddling and input from their boss with regard to personnel and playcalling. It could be as simple as “give me something safe that could break” ( Mack Brown to GD before the Utah pass was intercepted and returned in then 09 MNC) or it could be “gun, jack left, strong 25, zap read”. But all great OC’s are their own men who don’t need the rest of the staff as a down by down safety net. Bryan Harsin notably told Mack to call the plays in a bowl game when he stuck his nose in too far.

Btw, Texas fans have been more than happy to bitch about our OC’s when we’ve had good talent. GD did stupid on steroids with some of our best teams. He was more inclined to get away with it because we had great players, but that in no way excused the idiocy of the call. 

Its very simple, you need BOTH the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s AND the x’s and the  o’s. We lacked both last year. 

I’m sure Tom Herman beats off to 28 Q Lead every time he thinks of third and short, and that he suggests it often during the game. It’s a staple of the Urban Meyer offense that’s been run for years, and that’s we run in Austin. I don’t shit on Beck when we run our concussed QB into the line yet again on that play. I know where it originated from. It’s the other 80+% of the offense that I know Beck is calling with tacit approval that pisses me off. We can get into specifics if you like, but the BS was frequent and voluminous. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

Until the day Tom gets the gumption to fire Beck, he is not going to be dumb enough to announce that we have so shitty an OC that recruits he is targeting should all bail on us. That players he is coaching should blow him off. Until Tom is ready to do his duty and jettison dead weight, he at least is not going to badmouth our program.

Gets the gumption? Oh you mean when certain assistant coaches contracts run out? Yes that’s when it’ll happen, won’t be during the year like some of y’all are wishing for 

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

Until the day Tom gets the gumption to fire Beck, he is not going to be dumb enough to announce that we have so shitty an OC that recruits he is targeting should all bail on us. That players he is coaching should blow him off. Until Tom is ready to do his duty and jettison dead weight, he at least is not going to badmouth our program.

Edited by BERT
Double post. Fucking phone

11 hours ago, Zavala said:

SIAP

Youtube

WTF is this mother fucking Nike crap doing over his fucking heart? EVERY goddam Texas shirt I’ve ever seen has the Longhorn over the heart. Unfuckingbelievable.

Can someone please Tweeter CDC, because Nike-worshipping Tom won’t coach speak his way out of this to his boss. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
I’m pissed
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BERT said:

Gets the gumption? Oh you mean when certain assistant coaches contracts run out? Yes that’s when it’ll happen, won’t be during the year like some of y’all are wishing for 

Beck's only on year 2 of a 3yr contract.  Warehime and Mehringer are on final year of 2yr contracts.....

4 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Sounds like competition was fairly intense, and close... #That'sGoodNews...

Ask yourself what is more likely since at the end of last year it was a back and forth battle to decide which qb was better.

That both qb’s improved greatly and it was hard to choose between the two? 

Or that both didn’t really progress all that much and that neither separated themselves?

I like to think that it actually wasn’t that close and that 9.95ers don’t know shit and TH is just giving lip service to shame so he stays involved and competes. I hope it’s this and not option b above.

15 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

People are underestimating the continuity on offense.  Personally I am willing to give Beck a pass for year one, and I will be looking for great improvements this go round.  I’ve never been a fan of bashing new coaches that are trying to get acclimated to their new players and environment but I might be right there with y’all at the end of the year if shit doesn’t get better.

However, I would much rather the offense and Beck light it up and watch you motherfuckers eat crow.

This.

When you are playing an inexperienced QB behind a shitty o-line which produces no running game the OC will always look like shit.

Feels just like 2015, with all the same excuses as the Shawn Watson era

1. Not the OC's fault, he had a bad OL

2. Let's see how his 2nd year plays out - continuity is a positive!

3. Playcalling will be done by committee with help from the position coaches

4. The OC will improve this year, I can feel it

5. You're not a coach! I trust our coaches!

Edited by 6th Street
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

WTF is this mother fucking Nike crap doing over his fucking heart? EVERY goddam Texas shirt I’ve ever seen has the Longhorn over the heart. Unfuckingbelievable.

Can someone please Tweeter CDC, because Nike-worshipping Tom won’t coach speak his way out of this to his boss. 

Youre more pissed about the swoosh than the color of the logo? You’re not surly-into right

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Play calling is all about rhythm which is why I don’t think play calling “by committee” is a winning combination.

He also clarified he was just fucking saying that to keep the heat off of Beck, because it's unfair.

My idea.

1st Q - Beck

2nd Q - Hand/Herman

3rd Q - Hand/Herman

4th Q - Beck

He should have them compete on playcalling on the DL. Do this for this game and Tulsa, then do the analysis necessary to see if the playcalling was good or not. I have a feeling the offensive line improvements will make the playcaller look a lot better. As well as the offense being installed for 2 years now. Wonder if Hand understands the offense well enough to call plays, or if he has ever even called plays?

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm extremely pleased that he's getting pressed about Beck. I actually appreciate that from the reporters.

Herman has weak answers built on poor thinking. Imagine Tom Landry describing his offensive play calling like this coach. To me this is Charlie Redux...and we know how that ended. Were it me I would bet my five million dollar salary on my decisions on the field unless I had overwhelming evidence to defer to a subordinate.

Edited by Artie Fatso
  • Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, TexTexTex said:

Why do we need a new way to show the depth chart.  Have we forgotten what the positions are and need it in picture format?  Come on guys, get it together

I don't need it, it just looks better. We have 100 heavily photoshoped pictures of dudes in the uniforms, tons of graphics/marketing work on branding. Then we put out a picture of an excel spreadsheet of the depth chart, that looks identical to aggy (ugly). 

Just sayin' if we have zillions of dollars going into branding everything Texas, releasing a cool looking depth chart could make sense. Something to hang on the fridge next to the schedule to remember all the dudes names.

5 minutes ago, Zavala said:

I don't need it, it just looks better. We have 100 heavily photoshoped pictures of dudes in the uniforms, tons of graphics/marketing work on branding. Then we put out a picture of an excel spreadsheet of the depth chart, that looks identical to aggy (ugly). 

Just sayin' if we have zillions of dollars going into branding everything Texas, releasing a cool looking depth chart could make sense. Something to hang on the fridge next to the schedule to remember all the dudes names.

So the depth chart isn't flashy enough for you to hang on the fridge?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Feels just like 2015, with all the same excuses as the Shawn Watson era

1. Not the OC's fault, he had a bad OL

2. Let's see how his 2nd year plays out - continuity is a positive!

3. Playcalling will be done by committee with help from the position coaches

4. The OC will improve this year, I can feel it

5. You're not a coach! I trust our coaches!

The similarities are too much to ignore. 

It also doesn't mean one outcome will mirror the other, which is the difference we all have to be hoping for right now. 

The biggest difference between this situation and Charlie with Watson is that we do have a talented offensive playcaller on staff who can do the job if this experiment fails.

I believe our injuries and personnel limited what we could achieve last year.  I also believe Tim Beck is a shit sandwich OC and will continue to be with our without great personnel.  Given our personnel will be better this year, my only hope is that Herman and/or Hand are actually going to do more of the playcalling and the rest of this is window dressing to make it easier for Beck to find his next gig following this season. 

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp? You're running the Tom Herman offense. He is directly involved in game planning. When Beck calls a play, he's calling it from a set of Herman-approved plays for that particular game situation. The RB coach might provide input on running plays and the WR coach might provide input on passing plays. Tom's headset works and he's running the show. Why would it not work that way? The offensive assistants are all conferencing on strategy while the defense is on the field. It really is a collaborative effort. 

Sometimes it works like that, sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes the offensive minded HC, who has final say on and helps develop the game plan, lets the OC call the show until it's 3rd and goal with the game on the line, or when he decides to go for it on 4th down he calls the shot. Or when he sees something in the defense then suggests a different type of play in that situation, or strategy all together. And usually on game day you want your RBs/WRs/OL coaches quiet about what plays are being ran, that's too much chaos on game day to have them chiming in too much in the headset. Their chance for input is in the gameplanning, if the HC thinks of them enough to ask for it. 

I imagine that's somewhat how it goes with Beck and Herman. It's Herman's gameplanning with Beck's input, with Beck calling the plays on game day with Herman taking over/more vocal situationally as he sees fit. Will be interesting to keep a closer eye on them on the sidelines this year to see if that's really accurate or not. 

Edited by UncleBuck

10 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I can only open the door for you. I can't make you walk through it. Like I said, I'm not saying that Beck is an offensive guru. Just that the OC working for an offensive-minded coach like Tressel, Meyer, and Herman don't have as much control over the offense as you think.

I can't help but notice a correlation between Texas fans bitching about playcalling and an OL not consistently controlling the line of scrimmage. That and a dearth of offensive players, especially offensive linemen, being drafted in the first round. Or early rounds overall. Connor Williams at #50 in the second round was the highest drafted OL in a while, wasn't he?

If you want to see bad playcalling, go look at tOSU's 2011 season when Tressel was removed and Bollman was calling the plays. That's what bad playcalling looks like. 

Believe what you want. I'm just sharing my observations. 

AKA - The last decade of Texas Football

48 minutes ago, Artie Fatso said:

Herman has weak answers built on poor thinking. Imagine Tom Landry describing his offensive play calling like this coach. To me this is Charlie Redux...and we know how that ended. Were it me I would bet my five million dollar salary on my decisions on the field unless I had overwhelming evidence to defer to a subordinate.

Do you believe this or just pulling it out of your ass? 

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

So true.....and by the way Herman's offense was very good while he was coaching U of H which leads me to believe our lack of talent during this time frame and not the play calling is the issue.

I don't know how this supports your assertion. Herman's OC at UH is not here.

12 hours ago, Majorcholas said:

This times a thousand. Almost every play call is made from a list by down and distance or area of the field or both. For example on second and short on our side of the 50 we like “......” plays. 

i bet the first ten or so plays of each half and  maybe 5 or so for each drive are scripted anyway. 

I find this to be a bad way to call an offense.  Just call the fucking play that scores the touchdown every time.  It ain't that hard right?

• Like 1

We don't have personnel particularly suited to Herman's offense, namely a running QB, blocking TEs & H-backs, and good interior line play. This was especially obvious going from the cow/calf veer & shoot offense to year 1 of Herman's O, as thousands of shaggy posts documented (which segued nicely to their current content focus)

One thing I prefer is coaches running a scheme that fits their personnel, which is why Mack going all "power running" on us w/ spread personnel blocking surfaces was such a shit show IMO. That said I'm not sure I expected or wanted Herman to continue running the veer or abandon his offensive philosophy.

He is an offensive coach dancing with them what brung him, but hopefully he can learn new ways to operate with his shitty new pieces and/or transform/recruit around this crap of an OL/TEs.

All that said, yeah, Beck sucks. And fcb

39 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I find this to be a bad way to call an offense.  Just call the fucking play that scores the touchdown every time.  It ain't that hard right?

Most fans think it is that simple but it really isn’t. The play caller has to call the Sam touchdown play when Sam is in the game and call the Shane touchdown play when Shane is in the game. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, GW Hayduke said:

Most fans think it is that simple but it really isn’t. The play caller has to call the Sam touchdown play when Sam is in the game and call the Shane touchdown play when Shane is in the game. 

This isn't nuclear science or brain surgery. You fucking rubes who hyperbolize about the complex nuances and difficulties of understanding the art that is 11 variables to a side on a play by play basis are nauseating. This shit has been board clutter for decades. 

• Haha 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

This isn't nuclear science or brain surgery. You fucking rubes who hyperbolize about the complex nuances and difficulties of understanding the art that is 11 variables to a side on a play by play basis are nauseating. This shit has been board clutter for decades. 

Ah yes. One of the guys that Herman was speaking to when he looked into the camera and addressed “Fans.” 

Just now, GW Hayduke said:

Ah yes. One of the guys that Herman was speaking to when he looked into the camera and addressed “Fans.” 

You should go ahead and give us your dissertation on what it takes to be a "classy" or "good" fan, and how the rest of us meanies are getting it wrong. That would be some fresh content that this board needs, and you seem like just the guy to do it. You can open by telling us that we're not coaches, and Coach Tom Herman has given us clear instructions on what he expects from us, as servant fans to his regime. 

I have to warn you, though, I have this thing about me and my view of organizations I patronize. It's weird, but I carry the belief that a place like Texas football is bigger than any single individual running it, no matter how much shit the individual thinks he can talk to his base and get away with it. And I don't give one fuck how many games that guy or his regime wins in that regard either. The coach and his staff are paid and privileged to serve on the university's and its fans and alumni base's behalf. So I don't give a fuck if he doesn't like the heat places like this board can bring. In fact, I hope he never stops feeling it. It's nice to be under his skin.

I don't know if this has just breezed right by you over the past decade, but college football head coaches with hubris, who think they're above their base, haven't had a good run for a while now, and that includes Mack Brown at Texas.