8.27.18 Coach Herman press conference Noon

bigup2dahorns

People are underestimating the continuity on offense.  Personally I am willing to give Beck a pass for year one, and I will be looking for great improvements this go round.  I’ve never been a fan of bashing new coaches that are trying to get acclimated to their new players and environment but I might be right there with y’all at the end of the year if shit doesn’t get better.

However, I would much rather the offense and Beck light it up and watch you motherfuckers eat crow.

Edited by GotThatFire
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

This has me triggered remembering his description of the OL before last year.  Praying he's not smoking his own dope this time.

Some of those Searels OLs in the Harsin offense were nasty.  I'm remembering Donald Hawkins crushing Ole Miss DEs en route to us putting up 60+ on the board.

Same reaction -  oddly depressing

40 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

People are underestimating the continuity on offense.  Personally I am willing to give Beck a pass for year one, and I will be looking for great improvements this go round.  I’ve never been a fan of bashing new coaches that are trying to get acclimated to their new players and environment but I might be right there with y’all at the end of the year if shit doesn’t get better.

However, I would much rather the offense and Beck light it up and watch you motherfuckers eat crow.

Everyone would much rather see Beck light it up. However, his track record indicates that he can’t find the switch. 

2 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

People are underestimating the continuity on offense.  Personally I am willing to give Watson a pass for year one, and I will be looking for great improvements this go round.  I’ve never been a fan of bashing new coaches that are trying to get acclimated to their new players and environment but I might be right there with y’all at the end of the year if shit doesn’t get better.

However, I would much rather the offense and Watson light it up and watch you motherfuckers eat crow.

Fixed. See how dumb that sounds 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

My middle school basketball team's spread in the year book was captioned "Basketball team has best record in eight years."

We were 8-12.

In a 2-car race between the US and Russia we beat the livin' shit out of the Russian car. Headlines in Pravda: "Car of the glorious People's Republic finishes second in big race; American car finishes next to last." It's all in how you spin it.

6 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Anwar: who is calling plays? You or Beck?

A: we all are calling plays. Herman has veto power on all play calls.

Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp? You're running the Tom Herman offense. He is directly involved in game planning. When Beck calls a play, he's calling it from a set of Herman-approved plays for that particular game situation. The RB coach might provide input on running plays and the WR coach might provide input on passing plays. Tom's headset works and he's running the show. Why would it not work that way? The offensive assistants are all conferencing on strategy while the defense is on the field. It really is a collaborative effort. 

• Like 2

Sure. It’s all collaborative. Everyone gets that. Soooooo....

Do you think Lincoln Riley says we all call plays?  Did Art Briles? Every DC at Bama runs Saban’s defense. Does Saban deflect this much about defensive calls? Do you think Todd Orlando calls his defense or is it more democratic?

Urban Meyer and OSU played this same game while Beck was there too. It was a fustercluck that was a lot better when Herman was definitely the OC, and only improved when Kevin Wilson assumed that role. It’s Urban’s offense btw.  We’re running it here too.  

This whole “everyone calls the plays” isn’t best practices, and we all know it despite some of then mental gymnastics being used to justify it.  Yes, they’re all talking all the time, and the HC usually has veto power.  But there’s also almost always one voice on offense who makes the calls.  In fact, I’d challenge anyone to name the great collegiate offenses where everybody gets a turn as a playcaller.  

Its hard to believe that we tried the too many cooks in the kitchen approach with the last staff, and already people are ready to ignore that mess again just three years later. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GotThatFire said:

So I have the opposite opinions of 6th street? I’m good here

Personally, I read your initial take, and thought "Well, that's pretty dumb." Then I read this riposte, and I'm all, like, "Well, that's a pretty strong argument." So, you've at the very least got that going for you. I'm not sure it would be worth it to be right if the cost is agreeing with 6th street.

• Haha 1

I don’t understand why some of you don’t get this. The WR coach, RB coach, TE coach and OL coach aren’t just sitting on the sidelines holding their dicks hoping that Beck and Herman call a good game.

Everyone is involved in the game plan during the week, with Beck coordinating feedback from all the coaches as the OC, with input from Herman, and then on game day you go out and execute the game plan. Offensive staff then talks on the headsets if they need to make adjustments. Doesn’t matter who’s calling the plays as long as you have a good game plan before hand.

Edited by TheFlagship
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

I don’t understand why some of you don’t get this. The WR coach, RB coach, TE coach and OL coach aren’t just sitting on the sidelines holding their dicks hoping that Beck and Herman call a good game.

Everyone is involved in the game plan during the week, with Beck coordinating feedback from all the coaches as the OC, with input from Herman, and then on game day you go out and execute the game plan. Offensive staff then talks on the headsets if they need to make adjustments. Doesn’t matter who’s calling the plays as long as you have a good game plan before hand.

Game plan doesn’t mean shit win you have some who buckles under pressure and makes stupid decisions. See Sam at the end of games last year. I’m fairly certain throwing interceptions and fumbling the ball were not part of the game plan. I doubt Beck followed the game plan or made necessary adjustments. 

The playcall is pretty far down the list of things that need to get better.  We flat out sucked from the ground up. Looking at the depth chart, the talent level has raised a pretty fair amount at nearly every position on offense. Can we match offensive philosophy to our talent? Last year we didn’t even try

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

The playcall is pretty far down the list of things that need to get better.  We flat out sucked from the ground up. Looking at the depth chart, the talent level has raised a pretty fair amount at nearly every position on offense. Can we match offensive philosophy to our talent? Last year we didn’t even try

No doubt.  We should start with learning how to block. 

5 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

The problem last year was the OL play was so bad, the coaches were very limited schematically. Look at the OU game where it was basically backyard ball cause our OL got whipped every play. But to your point, we got some legit experience on the line now which can hopefully allow the coaches to do what they want.

• Like 2

I'm still not sold on Tim Beck and Tom Herman can say whatever he wants, but we all know Tim Beck is calling plays and the play caller does matter. What I am willing to do, is give Tim Beck a chance to show improvement. We don't really have any other choice as fans so there is no reason to stress about it until Maryland gives us a reason to. The decision was made to keep him, all we can do is see if Herman screwed up royally or not. 

One thing we do know, when Herman was calling plays in the bowl game, things weren't any better. So either Herman sucks too, or maybe we just didn't have the ability to run a good offense last year. Even a guy like the pirate has turned out mediocre to bad offenses over the years because his team just wasn't good from an offensive talent standpoint. I would like to believe Texas should never have such a lack of talent it's impossible to be good on one side of the ball, but I apparently it's harder than it looks. Even with all our advantages. Shows just how thin the margin of error is between winning and losing football. Glad I'm not in coaching, it's a tough job to do well. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

The problem last year was the OL play was so bad, the coaches were very limited schematically. Look at the OU game where it was basically backyard ball cause our OL got whipped every play. But to your point, we got some legit experience on the line now which can hopefully allow the coaches to do what they want.

Welcome Tim Beck. Now, go out and earn your fucking paycheck.

33 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Also Charlie Strong isn't our head coach anymore. 

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Fixed. See how dumb that sounds 

How did it take ten posts before someone brought up Shawn Watson? Yes, we were too hard on Watson. He was such a great fucking coach. Keeping him after year one cost Storng his job.

I don't recall seeing much offensive improvement during the season last year. Not a good sign.

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Sure. It’s all collaborative. Everyone gets that. Soooooo....

Do you think Lincoln Riley says we all call plays?  Did Art Briles? Every DC at Bama runs Saban’s defense. Does Saban deflect this much about defensive calls? Do you think Todd Orlando calls his defense or is it more democratic?

Urban Meyer and OSU played this same game while Beck was there too. It was a fustercluck that was a lot better when Herman was definitely the OC, and only improved when Kevin Wilson assumed that role. It’s Urban’s offense btw.  We’re running it here too.  

This whole “everyone calls the plays” isn’t best practices, and we all know it despite some of then mental gymnastics being used to justify it.  Yes, they’re all talking all the time, and the HC usually has veto power.  But there’s also almost always one voice on offense who makes the calls.  In fact, I’d challenge anyone to name the great collegiate offenses where everybody gets a turn as a playcaller.  

Its hard to believe that we tried the too many cooks in the kitchen approach with the last staff, and already people are ready to ignore that mess again just three years later. 

Any offensive shortcoming at tOSU that you might blame on Beck existed under Herman and persisted under Wilson. It's Urban's offense. But it's still a collaborative effort, evolving over time with input from all the offensive coaches. But it's Urban's call on what the offense is going to look like. He delegates on defense. He's intimately involved with the offense.

When it's 4th and 2 at midfield, who do you think is making the decision to go for it or not? And for the past six years, regardless of the OC, Urban was probably going to run his QB. Did you see the loss to MSU in the 2013 Big Ten CCG? Herman was the OC and instead of running Carlos Hyde, who was averaging a good chunk of yards per carry (I can't recall the exact number off the top of my head, maybe 4.5 ypc), he ran Braxton Miller on 3rd and 4th down on short distance and got stuffed. That cost them the game.

That's the kind of play Buckeye fans blamed on Beck while he was here. Their sole reason for hating Beck is because tOSU didn't repeat as national champs in 2015. Herman was here for the title in 2014, he left, Beck came, and they didn't repeat. Therefore it was all Beck's fault.

Never mind the two QB situation, the loss of deep threat Devin Smith, the return of Braxton Miller as a WR (but all too often inserted as a wildcat QB being used as a runner -- that was all Urban), other personnel changes, other coaching changes like the elevation of Ed Warriner from OL coach to Co-DC, etc. Nope, it was all Beck's fault because we need one scapegoat to blame. 

Did you see the loss to Iowa last year? What did you think of Wilson's performance?

I'm not saying I'd choose Beck over Herman as an OC given the choice. It's just that Beck doesn't have the total control over the Texas offense that Longhorns fans seem to think he has. Or that Buckeye fans did. 

Fwiw, the "fustercluck" under Beck was a 24-4 record with a Fiesta Bowl win over ND, a conference title, and a playoff appearance. You can't possibly blame tOSU's 31-0 shellacking by Clemson in the first round of the 2016 playoff on Beck. That was a team effort. I'm all for giving Beck whatever criticism he deserves, but no more than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

Play calling is all about rhythm which is why I don’t think play calling “by committee” is a winning combination.

Herman was no more exclusively in control of the offense at tOSU than Beck was. It's always a collaborative effort. It was under Jim Tressel too except that he was the de facto play caller and Jim Bollman was OC in name only. But those coaches and assistants all collaborated too and the head coach had the final say. Again, those headsets work. Any play going in has the tacit approval of the head coach whether he's the one making the call or not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFlagship said:

This times a thousand. Almost every play call is made from a list by down and distance or area of the field or both. For example on second and short on our side of the 50 we like “......” plays. 

i bet the first ten or so plays of each half and  maybe 5 or so for each drive are scripted anyway. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Any offensive shortcoming at tOSU that you might blame on Beck existed under Herman and persisted under Wilson. It's Urban's offense. But it's still a collaborative effort, evolving over time with input from all the offensive coaches. But it's Urban's call on what the offense is going to look like. He delegates on defense. He's intimately involved with the offense.

When it's 4th and 2 at midfield, who do you think is making the decision to go for it or not? And for the past six years, regardless of the OC, Urban was probably going to run his QB. Did you see the loss to MSU in the 2013 Big Ten CCG? Herman was the OC and instead of running Carlos Hyde, who was averaging a good chunk of yards per carry (I can't recall the exact number off the top of my head, maybe 4.5 ypc), he ran Braxton Miller on 3rd and 4th down on short distance and got stuffed. That cost them the game.

That's the kind of play Buckeye fans blamed on Beck while he was here. Their sole reason for hating Beck is because tOSU didn't repeat as national champs in 2015. Herman was here for the title in 2014, he left, Beck came, and they didn't repeat. Therefore it was all Beck's fault.

Never mind the two QB situation, the loss of deep threat Devin Smith, the return of Braxton Miller as a WR (but all too often inserted as a wildcat QB being used as a runner -- that was all Urban), other personnel changes, other coaching changes like the elevation of Ed Warriner from OL coach to Co-DC, etc. Nope, it was all Beck's fault because we need one scapegoat to blame. 

Did you see the loss to Iowa last year? What did you think of Wilson's performance?

I'm not saying I'd choose Beck over Herman as an OC given the choice. It's just that Beck doesn't have the total control over the Texas offense that Longhorns fans seem to think he has. Or that Buckeye fans did. 

Fwiw, the "fustercluck" under Beck was a 24-4 record with a Fiesta Bowl win over ND, a conference title, and a playoff appearance. You can't possibly blame tOSU's 31-0 shellacking by Clemson in the first round of the 2016 playoff on Beck. That was a team effort. I'm all for giving Beck whatever criticism he deserves, but no more than that.

Pick your offensive numbers from Beck’s 2 years and compare the to Wilson’s or Herman’s. Let me know how that turns out for you  

Attributing OSU’s record directly to Beck is asinine. As is the assumption that anyone thinks it’s an OC making a 4th down attempt call over a head coach. They still had a top 10 talent level squad, and one of the better head football coaches, and sorrier human beings, to grace a college sideline. But sure, lay that title and record at Beck’s feet. Urban Meyer thought so much of his abilities that he didn’t begin to put up a fight to keep him and instead hired a known, talented OC in Wilson. 

Speaking of Wilson, errmuhgrrrrd, he lost to Iowa with a poor performance. No good OC has ever done that. Ever. Picking one game examples is stupid. Kevin Wilson has been running good to great offenses since Beck was a highschool coach.

Beck, otoh, is loathed by three fanbases for his underperforming offenses, that abandon the run and sputter. 

We know he’s not in total control of the offense. No shit. The only time that happens is when the OC is also the HC. It doesn’t change the fact that he’s not good at coordinating an offense.  Tom thought so highly of Beck’s offense that he stripped him of playcalling duties midseason and let Mehringer run the show before trying it in the bowl game himself. 

You can trot out your Tim Beck apology tour all you want. The fact is that given great talent his ceiling is a top quartile offense. But usually it’s solidly in the middle third for a given season. He’ll have playcalling stripped again this year, and be let by next year unless he’s willing to take a demotion to remain on staff. 

And then you can re-evaluate the criticism he deserves. 

• Like 1

I get that this isn't the Tim Beck TM offense, but at the same time, Herman somewhat contradicted himself by talking about Canada coming to Maryland.  Guess what? The offense will be DIFFERENT with Canada calling the plays and being the offensive coordinator. 

Once again, I fully understand what Tom is saying and I think what the buckeye is saying applies under Herman more than the Maryland situation with Canada. But to paint the picture that the offensive coordinator is anything other than the offensive coordinator is insane.  Does everyone just shout a play into the headphones and Tom (or Tim, or do they vote?) decides which was his favorite?

Until the day Tom gets the gumption to fire Beck, he is not going to be dumb enough to announce that we have so shitty an OC that recruits he is targeting should all bail on us. That players he is coaching should blow him off. Until Tom is ready to do his duty and jettison dead weight, he at least is not going to badmouth our program.

11 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Pick your offensive numbers from Beck’s 2 years and compare the to Wilson’s or Herman’s. Let me know how that turns out for you  

Attributing OSU’s record directly to Beck is asinine. As is the assumption that anyone thinks it’s an OC making a 4th down attempt call over a head coach. They still had a top 10 talent level squad, and one of the better head football coaches, and sorrier human beings, to grace a college sideline. But sure, lay that title and record at Beck’s feet. Urban Meyer thought so much of his abilities that he didn’t begin to put up a fight to keep him and instead hired a known, talented OC in Wilson. 

Speaking of Wilson, errmuhgrrrrd, he lost to Iowa with a poor performance. No good OC has ever done that. Ever. Picking one game examples is stupid. Kevin Wilson has been running good to great offenses since Beck was a highschool coach.

Beck, otoh, is loathed by three fanbases for his underperforming offenses, that abandon the run and sputter. 

We know he’s not in total control of the offense. No shit. The only time that happens is when the OC is also the HC. It doesn’t change the fact that he’s not good at coordinating an offense.  Tom thought so highly of Beck’s offense that he stripped him of playcalling duties midseason and let Mehringer run the show before trying it in the bowl game himself. 

You can trot out your Tim Beck apology tour all you want. The fact is that given great talent his ceiling is a top quartile offense. But usually it’s solidly in the middle third for a given season. He’ll have playcalling stripped again this year, and be let by next year unless he’s willing to take a demotion to remain on staff. 

And then you can re-evaluate the criticism he deserves. 

I can only open the door for you. I can't make you walk through it. Like I said, I'm not saying that Beck is an offensive guru. Just that the OC working for an offensive-minded coach like Tressel, Meyer, and Herman don't have as much control over the offense as you think.

I can't help but notice a correlation between Texas fans bitching about playcalling and an OL not consistently controlling the line of scrimmage. That and a dearth of offensive players, especially offensive linemen, being drafted in the first round. Or early rounds overall. Connor Williams at #50 in the second round was the highest drafted OL in a while, wasn't he?

If you want to see bad playcalling, go look at tOSU's 2011 season when Tressel was removed and Bollman was calling the plays. That's what bad playcalling looks like. 

Believe what you want. I'm just sharing my observations. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

Shawn Watson did not succeed, so therefore all coaches should be written off as failures after one year. /6th Street

See how dumb that sounds

Last year is the only data point we have to judge beck by?

16 minutes ago, jinx said:

I get that this isn't the Tim Beck TM offense, but at the same time, Herman somewhat contradicted himself by talking about Canada coming to Maryland.  Guess what? The offense will be DIFFERENT with Canada calling the plays and being the offensive coordinator. 

Once again, I fully understand what Tom is saying and I think what the buckeye is saying applies under Herman more than the Maryland situation with Canada. But to paint the picture that the offensive coordinator is anything other than the offensive coordinator is insane.  Does everyone just shout a play into the headphones and Tom (or Tim, or do they vote?) decides which was his favorite?

Regarding Maryland, DJ Durkin is a defensive-minded coach. He's more involved with the defense and delegates the offense to the offensive coaching staff. It's not analgous to the current setup at Texas or tOSU. 

Obviously every coach and every program is different. I think when defensive coaches become head coaches they have to get more involved with the offense than offensive coaches who become head coaches have to get involved with the defense. Someone has to make the call when it's 4th and short near midfield. But tOSU is running the Urban Meyer offense and Texas is running the Tom Herman offense. There is no such thing as the DJ Durkin offense. 

• Like 1