Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

10 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah, everyone thought colt would be the most accurate passer in ncaa history and leave school with the most wins in history. Anyone who didnt was kidding themselves.

You watched his freshman year and didn’t realize you were watching greatness?

i’m starting to think most posters on here were in grade school when colt played.

2 hours ago, bejezuz said:

Nobody thought Colt would be the quarterback he proved to be his third and forth year after eight starts. 

Sam's decision making hass vastly improved from last year, as has our offensive line.  He's making his pre-snap reading and  making adjustments at the line this year much better than last year.  If the line continues to get better and he continues to get support from the running game, this year will be about how he develops making multiple reads post-snap. 

I want to see how effective we can be if Sam makes it to the point where he can get to his second or third read before scrambling out of the pocket before I write him off as a bust.  Eight starts just isn't enough time to expect that development to have happened yet.  Assuming Sam stays healthy and plays the whole or most of the season (which isn't a given), these are questions for next year, not this year.        

No, you don’t need to wait till next year to realize he is mediocre to average at best. But he tries hard and bleeds orange so we’ve got that going for us. 

21 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i’m starting to think most posters on here were in grade school when colt played.

I thought we were watching a very good QB, but then his sophomore year made me think he benefitted greatly from leftover MNC talent.  It was not until his junior year I realized we were watching greatness.  Sam never had anywhere near the personnel Colt did his freshman year, particularly on the Line, and so the comparison fails.

2 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I thought we were watching a very good QB, but then his sophomore year made me think he benefitted greatly from leftover MNC talent.  It was not until his junior year I realized we were watching greatness.  Sam never had anywhere near the personnel Colt did his freshman year, particularly on the Line, and so the comparison fails.

shut up, rex.

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

shut up, rex.

you know what's a good exercise that is sadly beyond most of you? asking yourself this: "If (insert player name) played for OU or Baylor, would I still have the same take?" The answer, of course, for anyone who's still defending Sam or searching for reasons to blame others for his failures is a giant, resounding, "NO!" Literally nobody here would be defending Sam Ehlinger if he didn't play for Texas, we'd all think he's terrible and laugh that he's the best that OU could throw out there. But because he plays for Texas, and because he's from Westlake, let's all scramble to find reasons why this obviously mediocre QB is actually going to pan out.

7 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

you know what's a good exercise that is sadly beyond most of you? asking yourself this: "If (insert player name) played for OU or Baylor, would I still have the same take?" The answer, of course, for anyone who's still defending Sam or searching for reasons to blame others for his failures is a giant, resounding, "NO!" Literally nobody here would be defending Sam Ehlinger if he didn't play for Texas, we'd all think he's terrible and laugh that he's the best that OU could throw out there. But because he plays for Texas, and because he's from Westlake, let's all scramble to find reasons why this obviously mediocre QB is actually going to pan out.

I could swear I read this post yesterday or something. Am I taking crazy pills? 

1 minute ago, GotThatFire said:

I could swear I read this post yesterday or something. Am I taking crazy pills? 

what a lame-ass cop out. my prediction encompassed a helluva lot more than simply "he's going to transfer out", my orediction was that he wasn't good enough to play QB for any title contending college and I couldn't have been more correct about that. There's a million different things that have nothing to do with Ehlinger (including/especially the fact that the entire coaching staff and program have been overhauled since then, and incumbent starter Shane Buechele has fallen out of favor because of this), which have led to Sam becoming our starter, and yet here we are and he's still not good enough to start for any top flight team. this katherina attempt to act like my predictions for ehlinger somehow weren't correct simply because he didn't end up transferring out by now is sad and transparent. when you're wrong you're wrong, and the westlake fanboys were all way wrong on this one.

here you go-

I don't think Sam is going to be very good in college. I'd peg him as a likely transfer candidate at this point. Yes, at this point, a year before he ever has even a chance to play at Texas. I've seen him a lot, and I don't think he has what it takes to be the starting Qb at any school with legit title hopes.

but I was wrong???

18 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

You mean the reason we beat Nebraska in '07 isn't because Colt went 12/28 for 181 yards and an INT. You mean to tell me it was because Jamaal Charles ran for 290 yards and 3 TDs? Impossible, I refuse to believe that.

1 minute ago, Texas25 said:

You mean the reason we beat Nebraska in '07 isn't because Colt went 12/28 for 181 yards and an INT. You mean to tell me it was because Jamaal Charles ran for 290 yards and 3 TDs? Impossible, I refuse to believe that.

Were you not watching greatness?

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

what a lame-ass cop out. my prediction encompassed a helluva lot more than simply "he's going to transfer out", my orediction was that he wasn't good enough to play QB for any title contending college and I couldn't have been more correct about that. There's a million different things that have nothing to do with Ehlinger (including/especially the fact that the entire coaching staff and program have been overhauled since then, and incumbent starter Shane Buechele has fallen out of favor because of this), which have led to Sam becoming our starter, and yet here we are and he's still not good enough to start for any top flight team. this katherina attempt to act like my predictions for ehlinger somehow weren't correct simply because he didn't end up transferring out by now is sad and transparent. when you're wrong you're wrong, and the westlake fanboys were all way wrong on this one.

here you go-

I don't think Sam is going to be very good in college. I'd peg him as a likely transfer candidate at this point. Yes, at this point, a year before he ever has even a chance to play at Texas. I've seen him a lot, and I don't think he has what it takes to be the starting Qb at any school with legit title hopes.

Read more  

but I was wrong???

Cop out?  I’m not even engaged in this conversation. I don’t think I’ve posted in this thread at all. I legitimately feel like I read this post yesterday, though, and it gave me déjà vu. 

1 minute ago, GotThatFire said:

Cop out?  I’m not even engaged in this conversation. I don’t think I’ve posted in this thread at all. I legitimately feel like I read this post yesterday, though, and it gave me déjà vu. 

bullshit. i just reread the three pages i linked you and that's total bullshit. you guys freaked out because i didn't think that your hometown hero would pan out at Texas. Just take your L and move on. 

Just now, Rex Kramer said:

Were you not watching greatness?

I love Colt but it blows my mind how people forget how up and down he was in 2006 and 2007, particularly 2007 when a lot of the leftovers from the National Title team had left. Then in 2008 and 2009 he took over and became great.

Just now, Texas25 said:

I love Colt but it blows my mind how people forget how up and down he was in 2006 and 2007, particularly 2007 when a lot of the leftovers from the National Title team had left. Then in 2008 and 2009 he took over and became great.

Dude, sarcasm meter.  I agree with you.

Just now, GotThatFire said:

Are you retarded? Delerious? Who do you think you’re talking to? 

Because he doesn't have it. I can't name any QB ever who's looked this poor for 1.5 years only to end up planning out at a program like Texas, one which is supposed to be a perennial national powerhouse. He makes poor decisions, he's an inaccurate thrower, he doesn't seem to have command of his own offense, he's not a leader...i mean what are you expecting to change here? It's not like he's right on the cusp of being really good, he is what he is

6 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Because he doesn't have it. I can't name any QB ever who's looked this poor for 1.5 years only to end up planning out at a program like Texas, one which is supposed to be a perennial national powerhouse. He makes poor decisions, he's an inaccurate thrower, he doesn't seem to have command of his own offense, he's not a leader...i mean what are you expecting to change here? It's not like he's right on the cusp of being really good, he is what he is

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR ARGUMENT. YOU HAVE NOT BEEN TALKING TO ME IN THIS THREAD. 

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR ARGUMENT. YOU HAVE NOT BEEN TALKING TO ME IN THIS THREAD. 

are you seriously this dense? or do you seriously contend that if Sam Ehlinger were having this exact same performance as QB of OU that you'd be on this website talking about how great of a QB he could be? 

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

okay so you really are that dense. noted.

What part of “I am not engaged in this conversation nor have I ever been” do you not understand? 

I only first posted on this page because I read something that I could have sworn I read yesterday. The end 

You appear to be off your meds 

What part of “I am not engaged in this conversation nor have I ever been” do you not understand? 

I only first posted on this page because I read something that I could have sworn I read yesterday. The end 

You appear to be off your meds 

no i'm negging you for being purposely obtuse. at least i hope that's what's happening, because the alternative is just sad.

Do you think I am somebody that you have been arguing about Sam with? 

Are you posting from a small white room? 

lol, really? "not at all wrong"? get out of here. first off, that was 100% coachspeak for "this guy sucks at passing a football, which is in fact not at all complimentary. as for the idea that he was "not at all wrong", you'll have to refresh my memory for all of those games that Sam Ehlinger won for us with his feet. "He's a running back playing QB." lol no he's not. Denard Robinson and Armanti Edwards were running backs playing QB. Damn Ehlinger is a big, somewhat mobile QB who happens to be more effective as a runner than a passer, which again, does not make him a running back playing qb, or some big x factor who might kill you with his legs. give me a break.

150 career carries for 497 yards (3.3 yards per carry) and 4 TDs. "He's a running back playing QB." Yeah, what a total compliment for a guy who looks and plays nothing like a running back. The intentionally obtuse replies are running rampant here.

24 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

Almost 3000 passing yards, 29 TD’s & 7 picks, and 10 wins in 2006 is “up and down”?

Just now, Rex Kramer said:

What the hell are you talking about?

That is what I’m saying to you. You’re responding to my post as if you think I have been in a lengthy conversation with you. I have not I do not care what you say and I do not care what you’re arguing about. I have not posted in this thread until this page. you are insane 

That is what I’m saying to you. You’re responding to my post as if you think I have been in a lengthy conversation with you. I have not I do not care what you say and I do not care what you’re arguing about. I have not posted in this thread until this page. you are insane 

god damn you girls whine so much. i'm going to start going derka 2009 to remind you dipshits what it was like when "derka'd" had a meaning. i don't even have to insult anyone or so much as say a curse word now and it's "derka'd". i haven't said anything in this thread that 15 other people haven't said, but don't let that stop your incessant whining. 

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i hear that shit repeated and i dont get it.  what i remember of year 2, he had more antsy feet, but that meant he gained 500  yards rushing, 65% completion percentage. 

team also won 10 games, so colt's play was never questioned.  and obviously dude was nails in year 1

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

i hear that shit repeated and i dont get it.  what i remember of year 2, he had more antsy feet, but that meant he gained 500  yards rushing, 65% completion percentage. 

team also won 10 games, so colt's play was never questioned.  and obviously dude was nails in year 1

It was questioned somewhat in 07.  Mainly because we were 9-3 in the regular season and very easily could have been 7-5 if not for JC against Nebraska and OSU.

4 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

god damn you girls whine so much. i'm going to start going derka 2009 to remind you dipshits what it was like when "derka'd" had a meaning. i don't even have to insult anyone or so much as say a curse word now and it's "derka'd". i haven't said anything in this thread that 15 other people haven't said, but don't let that stop your incessant whining. 

Rex is my new favorite poster and it’s really not even close. 

4 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

It was questioned somewhat in 07.  Mainly because we were 9-3 in the regular season and very easily could have been 7-5 if not for JC against Nebraska and OSU.

To hear them tell it, they were shocked a QB that completed 68% of his passes with 29 TDs & 7 INTs and QB rating of 162 as a freshman would end up completing 76% of his passes for 34 TDs & 8 INTs and a 174 QB rating his junior year.

who could have known, really?

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Almost 3000 passing yards, 29 TD’s & 7 picks, and 10 wins in 2006 is “up and down”?

Did you watch either season? He was virtually non existent against Ohio State and Oklahoma, we beat Oklahoma simply because we just had more talent than they did. Then you had Kansas State at the end of 2006 where Colt got hurt and then he tried to come back and play against A&M and played like garbage because he was probably still hurt.

In 2007 there were a litany of examples where he was up and down.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

To hear them tell it, they were shocked a QB that completed 68% of his passes with 29 TDs & 7 INTs and QB rating of 162 as a freshman would end up completing 76% of his passes for 34 TDs & 8 INTs and a 174 QB rating his junior year.

who could have known, really?

I was not shocked but pleasantly suprised.

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah, everyone thought colt would be the most accurate passer in ncaa history and leave school with the most wins in history. Anyone who didnt was kidding themselves.

maybe you need contextual reminder, that in his freshman campaign; colt mccoy's place in texas all time single-season record:

#2 completion percentage

#1 passing touchdowns

#4 passing yards

he'd lost to #1 ohio state in his 2nd game, and 2 other games by a combined 8 points.

wasn't too big a stretch to think 3 more seasons like that would put him atop all the record books

• Like 1

I think the comparison of Colt McCoy to Sam Ehlinger, by the Westlake honks, served up as a means of defending Sam Ehlinger is one of the funniest fucking things I’ve seen on the Internet in years. The deadpan delivery. Totally oblivious to the absurdity. It’s just fucking beautiful. 

Also, we’re going to see the door on optimism for this guy being “the man” start to fully close tonight. We’re about to be blown out again by a team with less talent and far superior coaching. I’m going with 3 turnovers by Ehlinger in the first half. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 5

22 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

Did you watch either season? He was virtually non existent against Ohio State and Oklahoma, we beat Oklahoma simply because we just had more talent than they did. Then you had Kansas State at the end of 2006 where Colt got hurt and then he tried to come back and play against A&M and played like garbage because he was probably still hurt.

In 2007 there were a litany of examples where he was up and down.

• OSU:  2nd college game ever, against the team with heisman winner that went to the national championship ...somehow i give it a pass
  • OU:    made no mistakes, tossed 2 touchdowns to 0 turnovers.  quote espn title  "Colt following: Frosh QB plays like a vet as Horns handle Sooners"
  • KSU:  left in the 1st quarter, after throwing 4/4 and rushing for the game-opening touchdown
  • A&M:  injured, as you explained

you got to be looking pretty hard to find holes in that season

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 52-80 said:
  • OSU:  2nd college game ever, against the team with heisman winner that went to the national championship ...somehow i give it a pass
  • OU:    made no mistakes, tossed 2 touchdowns to 0 turnovers.  quote espn title  "Colt following: Frosh QB plays like a vet as Horns handle Sooners"
  • KSU:  left in the 1st quarter, after throwing 4/4 and rushing for the game-opening touchdown
  • A&M:  injured, as you explained

you got to be looking pretty hard to find holes in that season

He threw for 108 yards against OU... We won 28-10, I'm not faulting him, we won, but people act like his entire career here was sunshine and rainbows in which he carried us to victory every single week.

The following season was even more up and down, we beat UCF and Arkansas State by a combined 11 points, lost to Kansas State by 20 at home because he thre 4 INTs. Then barely got by Nebraska thanks to Jamaal Charles, also barely got by Oklahoma State thanks to Jamaal Charles as Colt threw 3 INTs that day. Then he once again shit the bed against the sheep humpers.

• Like 1