Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Funny thread. If Sam had a 65% completion rate. You guys would bitch that we didn't throw downfield enough. Also, is this a QB issue or a OC issue. I liked the offense from last week. It opens up the running game. Unless its double coverage, LJH and CJ should win most of those match ups.

20 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah he was pretty much begging for us to go over the middle before halftime, but we kept launching uncatchable deep balls down the side line.  It's there to exploit but some combination of our coaches/Sam isn't seeing it.  Not being able to exploit what a defense is giving you is going to cost us against well coached teams like TCU.  We can't break TCU like we did USC.

Turnovers.  Coaches worried about INT's.  They need to get over that garbage and let players play.  

Just now, ckhorn said:

Funny thread. If Sam had a 65% completion rate. You guys would bitch that we didn't throw downfield enough. Also, is this a QB issue or a OC issue. I liked the offense from last week. It opens up the running game. Unless its double coverage, LJH and CJ should win most  slightly less than half of those match ups.

Fixed, based on the math we saw in the USC game.

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yep, his slow processing and release will result in picks without question. But it's on the staff either to improve that or make the decision on cost-benefit of incorporating it into the offense. It's obviously in the scheme, it's not like Rising's throw I linked before was from some other system. Ehlinger just basically refuses to throw in the middle of the field underneath the safeties. If his guy hasn't cleared the last safety he's hesitant to throw. That might not be 100% accurate as we don't have all-22 film to dissect but that's sure what it seems like.

Didn't Shane have the same issues. Maybe it's Herman coaching this trying to limit QB game changing mistakes.

Edit: Shane also was like this under strong.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, discussion of specific strengths and weaknesses, actual data and live game results, scheme and playcalling causes and effects, and progression probabilities is definitely a lot worse than "HE HAS MOXIE!" and "NO HE DOESN'T!"

You're deappreciated.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

x-post from The Ticket thread:

Joel Klatt: Texas is a 9 or 10 win team if they can get some blocking up front. There are huge swaths of open area down the middle of the field for Texas' WRs. Ehlinger would be much better (stat wise) if they let him exploit that.

In watching the USC game in person, I agree with Klatt's lamentation. It was obvious Texas was generally avoiding the middle of the field. I understand the concerns with INTs, but at some point, the juice is worth the squeeze or you've truly got a functioning mouthbreather at QB that needs to be replaced. I'd like to see Ehlinger get to use the whole field on the off chance that he's capable of not throwing picks on every other pass.

1 hour ago, ckhorn said:

Funny thread. If Sam had a 65% completion rate. You guys would bitch that we didn't throw downfield enough. Also, is this a QB issue or a OC issue. I liked the offense from last week. It opens up the running game. Unless its double coverage, LJH and CJ should win most of those match ups.

Maybe, but I don't care much about the guy's completion percentage. It is a legitimate indicator of a player's capability over a season or career, but in one game, there's only so much that can be implied from the stat. That said, I think most people offering criticisms of Ehlinger have legitimate points. He's harmed more than he's helped in his tenure so far. That's a fact. His contributions in games he's played would have a negative WAR if such was tracked in CFB. Outside of people really stretching to credit his running skills, there's just not anything about the guy that screams anything but average. 

16 hours ago, RPM said:

x-post from The Ticket thread:

Joel Klatt: Texas is a 9 or 10 win team if they can get some blocking up front. There are huge swaths of open area down the middle of the field for Texas' WRs. Ehlinger would be much better (stat wise) if they let him exploit that.

We were able to exploit the middle of the field a little with the tight end toward the end, and a we ran a couple of drag and slant routes early.  But it seems that the bulk of our offense assumes that the middle of the field will not be open, which is often the case in the Big 12 where base defenses are often in the nickle and run a lot of Cover 3.  

Edited by bejezuz

1 hour ago, bejezuz said:

We were able to exploit the middle of the field a little with the tight end toward the end, and a we ran a couple of drag and slant routes early.  But it seems that the bulk of our offense assumes that the middle of the field will not be open, which is often the case in the Big 12 where base defenses are often in the nickle and run a lot of Cover 3.  

I agree with this assessment. It’s why you never see any big 12 team exploit the middle of the field. Coverages. Don’t criticize the system until you can read them. Duh.

While all of you are on here trying to play roshambo, I think many have lost sight of the fact that not any of us actually get to have any input on the depth chart.

What can you all find as a common denominator? How about this... did Sam make mistakes? Yes. Did Sam display any improvement in areas on the game he's previously been deficient? Also, yes. Lastly, is Sam on an upward or downward trajectory as a player? I dont think there is enough data points to completely rule in either direction. He's a sophomore and needs more coaching like any sophomore would. Just enjoy the goddamn win. For fuck's sake.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

While all of you are on here trying to play roshambo, I think many have lost sight of the fact that not any of us actually get to have any input on the depth chart.

What can you all find as a common denominator? How about this... did Sam make mistakes? Yes. Did Sam display any improvement in areas on the game he's previously been deficient? Also, yes. Lastly, is Sam on an upward or downward trajectory as a player? I dont think there is enough data points to completely rule in either direction. He's a sophomore and needs more coaching like any sophomore would. Just enjoy the goddamn win. For fuck's sake.

This isn't the "enjoy the win" thread, it's the thread where we discuss sam ehlinger. 

Ehlinger is a less capable running version of Swoopes. If he wasn't white and wasn't from Westlake he would be getting the same hate Swoopes got. 

If I was Shane I'd be totally pissed and hate UT at this point. He comes in as a true freshman in Gilbert's offense that he can run and plays well. Fast forward one year and they bring in dumbfuck who wants to run offense like he has a big ass corn fed upper Midwest line like at OSU. Nope, he has a finess spread Texas HS OL who's forte is pass pro and quickness/technique in space yet he refuses to adjust. That leads to him choosing a battering ram dumb shit fullback who can't even be college accurate on throws to be his QB. 

Shane's a dumb ass for not running to a better program for him before last season. He could have redshirted and be playing in a better program for him right now. 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Ehlinger is a less capable running version of Swoopes. If he wasn't white and wasn't from Westlake he would be getting the same hate Swoopes got. 

If I was Shane I'd be totally pissed and hate UT at this point. He comes in as a true freshman in Gilbert's offense that he can run and plays well. Fast forward one year and they bring in dumbfuck who wants to run offense like he has a big ass corn fed upper Midwest line like at OSU. Nope, he has a finess spread Texas HS OL who's forte is pass pro and quickness/technique in space yet he refuses to adjust. That leads to him choosing a battering ram dumb shit fullback who can't even be college accurate on throws to be his QB. 

Shane's a dumb ass for not running to a better program for him before last season. He could have redshirted and be playing in a better program for him right now. 

lulz at Shane playing well. His poor play cost his coach his job. He played well in about 2 games his freshmen year, which didn't include Kansas. You lose to Kansas, you lose all right to bitch about getting beat out. Though he wasn't beat out so much as he got injured again and couldn't answer the bell.

• Like 1

Before his injury Texas put up 50, 41, 43, 31, and 40 points in their games. Strong got fired because his defense sucked and they had no one to fill in once Shane was down. He got fired because it took him two full seasons to realize what I just said.  That offense was cooking with absolute shit personnel up front for the first 5 games of the year and still ended the year averaging almost 400 yds a game. 

Guess you don't actually watch the games or you'd have known that. 

37 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

and he's done jack shit since then.  he was spare as fuck when he played last season.  he is not the answer.  

guess you don't actually watch the games or you'd have known that.

no shit. That's the entire point of what I'm saying. The following season the geniuses fail to do a coaching search and just brought in dumb shit Tom Herman to run an offense that doesn't fit anywhere near the personnel that Texas has or can bring in.

This terrible offensive system doesn't fit our offensive line and definitely doesn't fit our quarterbacks, so Shane never had a chance to come back from injury with the same offense he ran with Gilbert that was successful.

Texas finally found an offense that can compete in this conference and P5 college football as a whole and they completely scrapped it after 1 year just the hire the flavor of the month hype machine. 

This program deserves the results it's getting because of the stupidity that's been leading it

35 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Have we picked apart Patterson’s quote about having a running back at QB? Apologies if it’s been discussed...I just skim this thread and stop occasionally to watch Rex smear runny shit all over his face.

I viewed it as bush league psyche out stuff. Therefore, I assume Hermeh will fall for it, and ask Mr. Potatohead to throw the ball like 45 times. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Have we picked apart Patterson’s quote about having a running back at QB? Apologies if it’s been discussed...I just skim this thread and stop occasionally to watch Rex smear runny shit all over his face.

No, it hasn’t been discussed at all. Please discuss.

From what I see the best analogy would be to compare Sam to a young gifted golfer who starts receiving professional instruction/coaching.

Before you know it the young guy has his head so wrapped up in what he was instructed to do. That he subconsciously fights the very mechanics that made him a good player to begin with. 

He becomes mechanical and deliberate. And in the process suffers from confidence issues and mental lapses that never occurred before he stated receiving professional coaching. For the simple fact he is being asked to do something that though not technically incorrect. Doesn’t apply to that one specific individual.

Basically Sam is playing with a tight ass. You don’t even have to watch him play. Just watch him on the sidelines. His eyes constantly swinging right to left, which is by the way a common indicator of an individual attempting to deal with inner conflict. You can tell you he is trying to hard to accomplish the task at hand, instead of just letting it happen organically.

I have seen similar shit like this for 40 years in youth tennis, golf, baseball and football when the kid makes the jump to the collegiate level. Great coaching can see this, and can adjust their input accordingly. Bad coaching believe it to be the pupil.

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

no shit. That's the entire point of what I'm saying. The following season the geniuses fail to do a coaching search and just brought in dumb shit Tom Herman to run an offense that doesn't fit anywhere near the personnel that Texas has or can bring in.

This terrible offensive system doesn't fit our offensive line and definitely doesn't fit our quarterbacks, so Shane never had a chance to come back from injury with the same offense he ran with Gilbert that was successful.

Texas finally found an offense that can compete in this conference and P5 college football as a whole and they completely scrapped it after 1 year just the hire the flavor of the month hype machine. 

This program deserves the results it's getting because of the stupidity that's been leading it

Agree...especially the dumb shit tom herman part.  I thought great coaches adjusted to the personnel they inherited.   Oh well......December 2019 cant get here fast enough.  Wonder who the flavor of the month will be at that time.  

4 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

If he wasn't white and wasn't from Westlake he would be getting the same hate Swoopes got. 

This is so fucking stupid and completely unnecessary.  First, Swoops is/was one of the most likable kids to set foot on this campus in quite a while.  He was recruited because our coach at the time was reminiscent of a previous QB with similar size and characteristics who is still one of the most beloved players to ever set foot on campus.  See where I might be going with this....

The "hate" Swoops received was based upon his inability to play the position he was recruited to play.  The most high-stress, high-visibility position in the game, and a position the team has not successfully filled in years .  Nor was it personally directed to him as a person, but at his aptitude as a player.  Funny how echoes of "SWOOOOOOOOOPS" filled the stadium when he performed well with the 18-wheeler package.  We all not hateful anymore?

Sam has received buckets more criticism because that mouth-breather ripped our hearts out over and over with boneheaded, stupid mistakes.  Swoops just was never any good nor that dynamic a runner.  And that "hate" has diminished significantly since we won the USC game.  Funny how that works....

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

this is so so so true. the westlake crowd here have been gargling his balls for years, and nine of them could even give me a good argument as to *why* they had anointed him this guaranteed, sure fire, all american qb at Texas, other than the fact that he was their hometown hero. Even in high school his team success was way more impressive than his individual talent. I've never thought he would be the guy at Texas, or anywhere else that had title aspirations. 

Edited by Goo Punch

7 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

this is so so so true. the westlake crowd here have been gargling his balls for years, and nine of them could even give me a good argument as to *why* they had anointed him this guaranteed, sure fire, all american qb at Texas, other than the fact that he was their hometown hero. Even in high school his team success was way more impressive than his individual talent. I've never thought he would be the guy at Texas, or anywhere else that had title aspirations. 

Actually I believe your prediction was that he'd be transferring out of the program by now, how's that working out?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

this is so so so true. the westlake crowd here have been gargling his balls for years, and moments of them could even give me a good argument as to *why* they had anointed him this guaranteed, sure fire, all american qb at Texas, other than the fact that he was their hometown hero. Even in high school his team success was way more impressive than his individual talent. I've never thought he would be the guy at Texas, or anywhere else that had title aspirations. 

Oh, you mean a highly ranked 4* local player with ties to the university that was the #4 DT QB in the nation with multiple offers from across the country (despite him committing to early to Texas), and a top 20 guy in the state overall at a position of utter, complete, dire need?  Yeah, it's a big mystery.  Let's go back and dig up all those sage posts from the locals lamenting his decision to commit and what a waste of a scholie he was...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Actually I believe your prediction was that he'd be transferring out of the program by now, how's that working out?

oh you really want to go there? you really want to act as if i wasn't *literally* the only one i. that entire thread who can even remotely close to nailing his prediction on ehlinger. have at it:

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/161400-2017-Sam-Ehlinger?p=9748037&viewfull=1#post9748037

i said that sam was not good enough to be a qb for any major college with championship aspirations, followed by pages and pageant of absolute meltdown over a prediction which has 100% panned out in my favor. he is not a championship level QB, and that thread is a fucking testament to his cult like following from the westlake fanboys.

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

oh you really want to go there? you really want to act as if i wasn't *literally* the only one i. that entire thread who can even remotely close to nailing his prediction on ehlinger. have at it:

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/161400-2017-Sam-Ehlinger?p=9748037&viewfull=1#post9748037

i said that sam was not good enough to be a qb for any major college with championship aspirations, followed by pages and pageant of absolute meltdown over a prediction which has 100% panned out in my favor. he is not a championship level QB, and that thread is a fucking testament to his cult like following from the westlake fanboys.

You're "prediction" was that he is a likely transfer candidate, so no you weren't "*literally* the only one i. that entire thread who can even remotely close to nailing his prediction on ehlinger."

you know what's a good exercise that is sadly beyond most of you? asking yourself this: "If (insert player name) played for OU or Baylor, would I still have the same take?" The answer, of course, for anyone who's still defending Sam or searching for reasons to blame others for his failures is a giant, resounding, "NO!" Literally nobody here would be defending Sam Ehlinger if he didn't play for Texas, we'd all think he's terrible and laugh that he's the best that OU could throw out there. But because he plays for Texas, and because he's from Westlake, let's all scramble to find reasons why this obviously mediocre QB is actually going to pan out.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Goo Punch said:

you know what's a good exercise that is sadly beyond most of you? asking yourself this: "If (insert player name) played for OU or Baylor, would I still have the same take?" The answer, of course, for anyone who's still defending Sam or searching for reasons to blame others for his failures is a giant, resounding, "NO!" Literally nobody here would be defending Sam Ehlinger if he didn't play for Texas, we'd all think he's terrible and laugh that he's the best that OU could throw out there. But because he plays for Texas, and because he's from Westlake, let's all scramble to find reasons why this obviously mediocre QB is actually going to pan out.

While this is a reasonable take, it is somewhat mitigated by the fact that players who generically suck ass through a straw somehow seem to play great for teams not named "Texas", so it makes it virtually impossible to judge.

Hell, who here would want Taysom Hill to be their quarterback? If Sam played for BYU against Texas, though, sure enough he'd run for 1,800 yards through three quarters, and look completely unbeatable, in spite of being cross eyed and unable to hit any part of a barn, let alone a specific side.

9 minutes ago, elguapo said:

You're "prediction" was that he is a likely transfer candidate, so no you weren't "*literally* the only one i. that entire thread who can even remotely close to nailing his prediction on ehlinger."

what a lame-ass cop out. my prediction encompassed a helluva lot more than simply "he's going to transfer out", my orediction was that he wasn't good enough to play QB for any title contending college and I couldn't have been more correct about that. There's a million different things that have nothing to do with Ehlinger (including/especially the fact that the entire coaching staff and program have been overhauled since then, and incumbent starter Shane Buechele has fallen out of favor because of this), which have led to Sam becoming our starter, and yet here we are and he's still not good enough to start for any top flight team. this katherina attempt to act like my predictions for ehlinger somehow weren't correct simply because he didn't end up transferring out by now is sad and transparent. when you're wrong you're wrong, and the westlake fanboys were all way wrong on this one.

here you go-

I don't think Sam is going to be very good in college. I'd peg him as a likely transfer candidate at this point. Yes, at this point, a year before he ever has even a chance to play at Texas. I've seen him a lot, and I don't think he has what it takes to be the starting Qb at any school with legit title hopes.

but I was wrong???

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

what a lame-ass cop out. my prediction encompassed a helluva lot more than simply "he's going to transfer out", my orediction was that he wasn't good enough to play QB for any title contending college and I couldn't have been more correct about that. There's a million different things that have nothing to do with Ehlinger (including/especially the fact that the entire coaching staff and program have been overhauled since then, and incumbent starter Shane Buechele has fallen out of favor because of this), which have led to Dam becoming our starter, and yet here we are and he's still not good enough to start for any top flight team. this katherina attempt to act like my predictions for ehlinger somehow weren't correct simply because he didn't end up transferring out by now is sad and transparent. when you're wrong you're wrong, and the westlake fanboys were all way wrong on this one.

The part of your prediction that basically everyone took issue with was the "likely transfer candidate", but you already know that.

Just now, elguapo said:

The part of your prediction that basically everyone took issue with was the "likely transfer candidate", but you already know that.

bullshit. i just reread the three pages i linked you and that's total bullshit. you guys freaked out because i didn't think that your hometown hero would pan out at Texas. Just take your L and move on. 

Just now, BigOrange1 said:

it is absolutely amazing to me how many of you are so sure you are "right" a quarter of the way into his sophomore season.  

sam has a lot more football to play.  how anyone can be so certain they are "right" about him is a mystery to me.

Because he doesn't have it. I can't name any QB ever who's looked this poor for 1.5 years only to end up planning out at a program like Texas, one which is supposed to be a perennial national powerhouse. He makes poor decisions, he's an inaccurate thrower, he doesn't seem to have command of his own offense, he's not a leader...i mean what are you expecting to change here? It's not like he's right on the cusp of being really good, he is what he is.