Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

it is absolutely amazing to me how many of you are so sure you are "right" a quarter of the way into his sophomore season.  

sam has a lot more football to play.  how anyone can be so certain they are "right" about him is a mystery to me.

Very true.  However, taking Sam's "winning" the offseason QB competition at face value, and without indulging any prejudice for or against him, I did rather expect to see some marked improvement.  I have yet to see it, and that isn't entirely Sam's fault.

Just now, Goo Punch said:

bullshit. i just reread the three pages i linked you and that's total bullshit. you guys freaked out because i didn't think that your hometown hero would pan out at Texas. Just take your L and move on. 

Nope, you're wrong and I'm not going to waste any more time on you. 

BTW I'm from Rockport and couldn't give less of a shit about Westlake or what color Ehlinger is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Because he doesn't have it. I can't name any QB ever who's looked this poor for 1.5 years only to end up planning out at a program like Texas, one which is supposed to be a perennial national powerhouse. He makes poor decisions, he's an inaccurate thrower, he doesn't seem to have command of his own offense, he's not a leader...i mean what are you expecting to change here? It's not like he's right on the cusp of being really good, he is what he is.

i just disagree with this take.  he's not there yet, and maybe he never gets there, but i think he's shown enough that i can see a future that includes him being good enough to qb a team to a big 12 championship.  he's made a lot of dumb mistakes, but he's also made some plays/had some games where it looked as if he could someday be the guy we all want him to be.  

30 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Literally nobody here would be defending Sam Ehlinger if he didn't play for Texas

That's some next-level, MENSA like shit right there.  CFB fans, defending (to an extent) a starting player for the team that they support.  You must be a wizard.

Here's another hot sports opinion:  when their team wins.  Fans are generally happy and support for those players is higher.  And when their team loses.  The opposite happens.  

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

That's some next-level, MENSA like shit right there.  CFB fans, defending (to an extent) a starting player for the team that they support.  You must be a wizard.

Here's another hot sports opinion:  when their team wins.  Fans are generally happy and support for those players is higher.  And when their team loses.  The opposite happens.  

are you seriously this dense? or do you seriously contend that if Sam Ehlinger were having this exact same performance as QB of OU that you'd be on this website talking about how great of a QB he could be? 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i just disagree with this take.  he's not there yet, and maybe he never gets there, but i think he's shown enough that i can see a future that includes him being good enough to qb a team to a big 12 championship.  he's made a lot of dumb mistakes, but he's also made some plays/had some games where it looked as if he could someday be the guy we all want him to be.  

This.  And moreso, what's the alternative?  Shane?  He your guy?  An unknown freshmen?  We all know throwing them to the wolves early always works out.  So what then?  Sam, as you stated, probably isn't "the guy".  And guess what.  He doesn't need to be.  He's a bridge.  A player that helps transition a struggling program back into prominence and buys much needed time for younger players to learn and develop.  

We are miles away from a Big12 championship in multiple besides QB.  We don't have the pass rush.  We damn sure don't have the OL.  RB is questionable, and honestly, so are the receivers.   So there is more to it than just Sam.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

are you seriously this dense? or do you seriously contend that if Sam Ehlinger were having this exact same performance as QB of OU that you'd be on this website talking about how great of a QB he could be? 

Then go ahead and list out ON THIS WEBSITE how great a QB other teams players are?  Go ahead.  I'll wait.

This is a TEXAS site talking about TEXAS players, you twat.  Nobody is talking about "how great" he is.  Jesus Christ, we have 15 pages of us kicking him in the dick.  But we also have intermittent posts agreeing that he does have certain tools that can help this team win games.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Then go ahead and list out ON THIS WEBSITE how great a QB other teams players are?  Go ahead.  I'll wait.

This is a TEXAS site talking about TEXAS players, you twat.  Nobody is talking about "how great" he is.  Jesus Christ, we have 15 pages of us kicking him in the dick.  But we also have intermittent posts agreeing that he does have certain tools that can help this team win games.

okay so you really are that dense. noted.

• Fuck You 1

I love how Derka entered into this talking about how he knows Sam won’t ever do shit here. Just don’t engage him. I’ll only say I’m a Westlake guy who’s lived in DFW and Houston for 22 years and hasn’t followed Westlake football since ‘97 when my old teammate Brees won the state title.  The only team I follow in high school is HP.  Can’t stand Breckyn, another Westlake guy  I just like the way Sam plays the game and don’t believe we have had a playmaker like him since Colt.  I recognize he has warts and he needs to develop now.  But I haven’t written him off.

Hollywood, what did Patterson say about a RB at QB?

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Did someone really compare Swoopes and Sam throwing the ball?  I’ll be the first to doubt Sam’s accuracy and arm, but he Dan Marion compared to Stoopes throwing the football. I get it, I too have blocked out the worst teams and QB play in Texas history. 

Dan Marion could throw that football over them mountains. 

‘X-factor’ is how TCU coach Gary Patterson describes Texas QB Sam Ehlinger

“He will beat you with his feet,” Patterson said during his weekly news conference on Tuesday. “He’s a running back playing quarterback. He beats you with his feet. He’s won a lot of ballgames because of taking off, running draws, powers, quarterback stretches, all of those kind of things.

“We didn’t play him a year ago, so you’ve got to be ready. He’s the X-factor in their offense.”

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

speaking of last year, let's look at shane's numbers against tcu last year:

21/44, 254 yards, 1 td, 0 int

12 carries for negative 23 rushing yards.

this is the guy several people on this thread are pining for. 

3 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

speaking of last year, let's look at shane's numbers against tcu last year:

21/44, 254 yards, 1 td, 0 int

12 carries for negative 23 rushing yards.

this is the guy several people on this thread are pining for. 

He also got sacked 7 times, indicating that he was running for his life.  Some were no doubt his fault, but that is ridiculously bad protection.  If you get sacked 7 times, how many times did the pocket dissolve?  21?  35?

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Fairly complimentary. Not at all wrong. Nice try Hollywood. 

And Twice, Shane has no ability to run and self-sacked in the majority of his sacks including in that game. 

I have never argued to the contrary.  But I think with a relatively clean pocket he's probably worthy of a shot.

8 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Fairly complimentary. Not at all wrong.

lol, really? "not at all wrong"? get out of here. first off, that was 100% coachspeak for "this guy sucks at passing a football, which is in fact not at all complimentary. as for the idea that he was "not at all wrong", you'll have to refresh my memory for all of those games that Sam Ehlinger won for us with his feet. "He's a running back playing QB." lol no he's not. Denard Robinson and Armanti Edwards were running backs playing QB. Damn Ehlinger is a big, somewhat mobile QB who happens to be more effective as a runner than a passer, which again, does not make him a running back playing qb, or some big x factor who might kill you with his legs. give me a break.

150 career carries for 497 yards (3.3 yards per carry) and 4 TDs. "He's a running back playing QB." Yeah, what a total compliment for a guy who looks and plays nothing like a running back. The intentionally obtuse replies are running rampant here.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, to be fair, a ketchup sandwich sounds like it might be okay when you've been living on nothing but mustard sandwiches.

According to Gladwell, Heinz Ketchup is the perfect food--hitting all five fundamental tastes (salty, sweet, sour, bitter, and umami) at the same time.  So, yeah, that makes sense.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2004/09/06/the-ketchup-conundrum

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have never argued to the contrary.  But I think with a relatively clean pocket he's probably worthy of a shot.

No QB has a relatively clean pocket all the time. Not saying you have stated otherwise but no QB has this luxury. QBs with no ability to scramble must have presence and feel, and Shane is one of the worst I’ve ever seen at either, including our litany of terrible QBs post Colt. 

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

you'll have to refresh my memory for all of those games that Sam Ehlinger won for us with his feet.

K-State last year.

Though, that game was a perfect exemplar of the argument that if he's a RB, then he's a fullback, not a tailback. And there are games a fullback can win for you... but not many.

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

does wolverine ever self-sack or are they just sack-sacks?

Now you’re just being idiotic. 

And Derka, you really seem to want to argue. I don’t give a shit about your opinion. Have a nice afternoon melting down. I’m gonna get some pops. 

6 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

i can't recall a time when wolverine got sacked where someone said he self-sacked. you've certainly never said it.

go back and watch the tcu game from last year and let me know which sacks were just regular sacks and which sacks were 'we have terrell fucking cuney at center and a gigantic retard at left tackleself-sacks'

6 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

And Derka, you really seem to want to argue. I don’t give a shit about your opinion. Have a nice afternoon melting down. I’m gonna get some pops. 

Didn’t someone catch Derka arguing with one of his own socks for a couple of pages on the other site last year? 

• Fuck You 1

Is there a stat anywhere showing Sam's snaps last year versus Shane's? It is like people are forgetting Sam was behind that horrible line just as much as Shane was. And I love how thy also consider the two starts Shane had that Sam finished because of Shane's ineffectiveness as wins for Shane (WV and Mizz). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Didn’t someone catch Derka arguing with one of his own socks for a couple of pages on the other site last year? 

I argued with one of my own old smelly pairs of socks once, after someone bunged a fork of lightning through them and started the process of evolution all over again.

Sons of bitches were pretty smart alecky, now that I come to think of it.

7 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Is there a stat anywhere showing Sam's snaps last year versus Shane's? It is like people are forgetting Sam was behind that horrible line just as much as Shane was. And I love how thy also consider the two starts Shane had that Sam finished because of Shane's ineffectiveness as wins for Shane (WV and Mizz). 

anybody with half a brain realized both QBs would look bad and that both would get injured playing behind that line last year.

on the other hand, we had people like Rex and duck of death that swore up and down Sam was the toughest sunovabitch on the western hemisphere and that when the game was on the line, bygod sam fucking ehlinger's moxie would get you that win.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Herman said Shane started the Mizzou game as a message to Ehlinger to stop turning the ball over. The plan going in was to have Ehlinger play most of the game. In fact Shane led a TD drive in his only series iirc. He wasn’t pulled for ineffectiveness. 

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

you know what's a good exercise that is sadly beyond most of you? asking yourself this: "If (insert player name) played for OU or Baylor, would I still have the same take?" The answer, of course, for anyone who's still defending Sam or searching for reasons to blame others for his failures is a giant, resounding, "NO!" Literally nobody here would be defending Sam Ehlinger if he didn't play for Texas, we'd all think he's terrible and laugh that he's the best that OU could throw out there. But because he plays for Texas, and because he's from Westlake, let's all scramble to find reasons why this obviously mediocre QB is actually going to pan out.

Yep,  you know another good thought exercise? For what other teams in the Big 12 would Ehlinger be starting?

The only one I can think of is Kansas, and that's not a slam dunk guarantee. He wouldn't start for a single SEC program. Not even Vanderbilt or Kentucky. He wouldn't even start for North Texas for fucks sake. 

The westlake fanbois are out in full force here. 

• Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Herman said Shane started the Mizzou game as a message to Ehlinger to stop turning the ball over. The plan going in was to have Ehlinger play most of the game. In fact Shane led a TD drive in his only series iirc. He wasn’t pulled for ineffectiveness. 

Not one drive. 6 of 14 for 3.9 YPA is totally effective. 

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Did someone really compare Swoopes and Sam throwing the ball?  I’ll be the first to doubt Sam’s accuracy and arm, but he Dan Marion compared to Stoopes throwing the football. I get it, I too have blocked out the worst teams and QB play in Texas history. 

I like Swoopes, too, but Maid Marian would've been a better QB.

god damn you girls whine so much. i'm going to start going derka 2009 to remind you dipshits what it was like when "derka'd" had a meaning. i don't even have to insult anyone or so much as say a curse word now and it's "derka'd". i haven't said anything in this thread that 15 other people haven't said, but don't let that stop your incessant whining. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

god damn you girls whine so much. i'm going to start going derka 2009 to remind you dipshits what it was like when "derka'd" had a meaning. i don't even have to insult anyone or so much as say a curse word now and it's "derka'd". i haven't said anything in this thread that 15 other people haven't said, but don't let that stop your incessant whining. 

Negged

15 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

I love how Derka entered into this talking about how he knows Sam won’t ever do shit here. Just don’t engage him. I’ll only say I’m a Westlake guy who’s lived in DFW and Houston for 22 years and hasn’t followed Westlake football since ‘97 when my old teammate Brees won the state title.  The only team I follow in high school is HP.  Can’t stand Breckyn, another Westlake guy  I just like the way Sam plays the game and don’t believe we have had a playmaker like him since Colt.  I recognize he has warts and he needs to develop now.  But I haven’t written him off.

Hollywood, what did Patterson say about a RB at QB?

Sam Ehlinger “plays the game “ the way you post on this board - aggressively yet without a hint of a fucking clue. You digging his style is a given.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

I'm not gonna read the entire part of thread that's been Derka'd, but I agree with a lot of what he says. Sam has a definite lower ceiling as a QB than I'd like for our starter. Accuracy and good decision making (especially under pressure) are the two most important traits a QB can have IMO.  Those are maybe Sam's two worst areas.

I disagree with him that Sam is "not a leader" or isn't in control of the offense.  He's running what they want him to, he just often doesn't execute well.

All this being said, it doesn't mean we can't win the Big 12 with him at QB.  It just means we aren't gonna win it because of him.  The team will have to be very strong around him.  

Nobody thought Colt would be the quarterback he proved to be his third and forth year after eight starts. 

Sam's decision making hass vastly improved from last year, as has our offensive line.  He's making his pre-snap reading and  making adjustments at the line this year much better than last year.  If the line continues to get better and he continues to get support from the running game, this year will be about how he develops making multiple reads post-snap. 

I want to see how effective we can be if Sam makes it to the point where he can get to his second or third read before scrambling out of the pocket before I write him off as a bust.  Eight starts just isn't enough time to expect that development to have happened yet.  Assuming Sam stays healthy and plays the whole or most of the season (which isn't a given), these are questions for next year, not this year.        

Edited by bejezuz