Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

10 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Jarrett Stidham, Kyler Murray, Quentin Dormady, Chason Virgil, Ben Hicks

Those were the guys who made the Texas Top 100 list.

As a joint Ponies fan, if Ben Hicks was UT's starting quarterback I would gouge out my eyes with a spoon. Kid has the pocket presence of a dead possum roasting on the side of I-30. 

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm not going to defend Sam - because he most definitely isn't an 'accurate' QB - but its kind of bullshit to use a one game sample size and not provide any context.  There is a hell of a lot more than goes into it than just here are the attempts and here are the completions.  

the contention was that he's been "more accurate". more accurate than what? last year his completion rate was 57.5%, this year its 57.6%. He's completed 53.8%, 77.8%, and 45.5% of his passes in three games this year; how is that "more accurate" than before? I mean technically he is one hundredth of a point more accurate than last year to this point, but other than that... 

Edited by Goo Punch

37 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

So let’s see: 1) at some point you had an inkling that Herman was fighting for a 3rd year after Maryland ; 2) you consider Shane Buechele as “legitimate talent”; and 3) you failed to grasp that that my entire point was not extolling the greatness of Sam, but rather saying Shane isn’t the answer. Good work pal. 

1) Yes, Herman's honeymoon is over and the money and regime at the school are tired of losing. Herman has no friends left in the AD. A losing record this season is courted with zero excuses and he's shown the door. I didn't think that this summer, I do now. It's irrelevant to me whether you can gather this or not, but it is amusing to watch your takes on this kind of thing when you have no clue.

2) I never mentioned Shane Buechele. You referenced that the job was Ehlinger's for the next 2.75 years and I responded that you're incorrect in closing the competition off for that duration. You presumed I was referring to Buechele because that's the car you've been barking at, but that wasn't my interest at all. There are other QBs on campus and coming to campus who will matter a great deal over the next 2.75 years. I do think Buechele is a decent college QB when he has a good OL, but I can understand how you're too ignorant of this topic, as you are with so many, and you therefore can't fathom the premise.

3) As already stated, I don't give one fuck whether Shane right now is a suitable alternative or not. I've not called for Ehlinger to be replaced at the moment. I think he's got a football IQ below that of a banana slug, and he's a loser with the game on the line, but I am not pining for Buechele as the answer. You've chosen to die on the "Shane is not the answer" hill, and good for you. I hope you metaphorically do die there. That has nothing to do with what I wrote, nonetheless.

20 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Just jump.

I've been posting under this handle for 15 years. I created the handle. I wasn't forced to take this handle. I chose this handle to signal where moronic posters can put me at any given moment, and your ineptitude in trying to do anything on this board other than offer pandering, mewling defenses of your fanboi idol Sam Ehlinger is exactly the kind of bullshit I created this handle to mock. So, thanks for the call out, dufus.

19 minutes ago, Zavala said:

He has been throwing a pretty ball, and he's been more accurate. All it takes is repetition. The dude must've been throwing guys open in 7-on-7 because you only get 4 sec to throw.

The idea that Ehlinger has either been throwing a pretty ball or been more accurate is based on the foundation that the starting point mattered. He was a fucking shitshow against Maryland and Tulsa. Showing up with a pulse and two fully functioning legs were the only prerequisites for whoever took snaps against USC looking better than the first two games of the season for Ehlinger.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

More accurate, doesn't make as many dumb decisions, more explosive runner when he gets into the open field

Oh ok. What game last year made you think that?

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

He really has not been throwing "a pretty ball", and he definitely hasn't been more accurate, as he's coming off a 15-33 performance.

Watch the game. There was a few drops, and they were thowing tons of deep balls which aren't going to connect as often. 

Watch this sequence 1:18:00, only gets a field goal, but was full of Sam throwing deep.

First ball a bit late, hits DD in the chest and he drops it. 2nd, evades a sack, throw the ball away. QB draw against a blitz, gets 9 yards. QB sweep to the short side of the field for 1st down.

Takes off for a 1st down, 12 yard run, called back for holding. Bullshit call BTW. Throw to LJH goes strait through his hands. Throw deep, goes strait though DD hands, gets a hands to face call for 1st down.

Back shoulder to CJ, perfect spiral, he catches it, and gets pushed out of bounds and drops the ball. Almost a pick on a deep out. QB draw for 4 yards to get them in better FG range in the middle of the field.

He is throwing deep on like half of the passes, of course the percentage is going to be low, but they hit on enough to get the W, the blowout W.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

1) Yes, Herman's honeymoon is over and the money and regime at the school are tired of losing. Herman has no friends left in the AD. A losing record this season is courted with zero excuses and he's shown the door. I didn't think that this summer, I do now. It's irrelevant to me whether you can gather this or not, but it is amusing to watch your takes on this kind of thing when you have no clue.

2) I never mentioned Shane Buechele. You referenced that the job was Ehlinger's for the next 2.75 years and I responded that you're incorrect in closing the competition off for that duration. You presumed I was referring to Buechele because that's the car you've been barking at, but that wasn't my interest at all. There are other QBs on campus and coming to campus who will matter a great deal over the next 2.75 years. I do think Buechele is a decent college QB when he has a good OL, but I can understand how you're too ignorant of this topic, as you are with so many, and you therefore can't fathom the premise.

3) As already stated, I don't give one fuck whether Shane right now is a suitable alternative or not. I've not called for Ehlinger to be replaced at the moment. I think he's got a football IQ below that of a banana slug, and he's a loser with the game on the line, but I am not pining for Buechele as the answer. You've chosen to die on the "Shane is not the answer" hill, and good for you. I hope you metaphorically do die there. That has nothing to do with what I wrote, nonetheless.

I've been posting under this handle for 15 years. I created the handle. I wasn't forced to take this handle. I chose this handle to signal where moronic posters can put me at any given moment, and your ineptitude in trying to do anything on this board other than offer pandering, mewling defenses of your fanboi idol Sam Ehlinger is exactly the kind of bullshit I created this handle to mock. So, thanks for the call out, dufus.

The idea that Ehlinger has either been throwing a pretty ball or been more accurate is based on the foundation that the starting point mattered. He was a fucking shitshow against Maryland and Tulsa. Showing up with a pulse and two fully functioning legs were the only prerequisites for whoever took snaps against USC looking better than the first two games of the season for Ehlinger.

Do you even watch the games? Ehlinger led what would have been back to back TD drives to open the 2nd half if Porter hadn't fumbled the ball. On those drives - he made one bad throw - overthrowing Moore in the EZ - and Moore still caught the ball. 

Sam isn't any worse or more prone to fuck-ups than 19 year old Colt was.

Also, if it isn't him or Shane I'm really wondering who the fuck you want us to trot out there. But yeah, let's abandon the guy that actually has a winning record as a starter despite the shit around him so we can take our shiny freshman out of the box and play with him. I guess we can get some lighter fluid and matches and have a good ol' fashion Redshirt burning on the campus mall. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

the contention was that he's been "more accurate". more accurate than what? last year his completion rate was 57.5%, this year its 57.6%. He's completed 53.8%, 77.8%, and 45.5% of his passes in three games this year; how is that "more accurate" than before? I mean technically he is one hundredth of a point more accurate than last year to this point, but other than that... 

Watching how many balls are on target and dropped, as well as the deep passes that are connecting, the clutch passes that are connecting, he has gotten WAY more accurate than his first True Freshmen year with a new offense. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't disagree but using NFL statistics is flawed.  It's a completely different game that has actual parity.

True, but the times are roughly the same. Just looking at the first drive of the USC game and each Ehlinger attempt:

3.5 seconds - great protection, but the throw was into a really tight window because the defenders had time to adjust to the route, but he made the throw
2.6 seconds - good timing, good throw, this one was actually a much easier pass but he threw it low to Johnson, still got the completion
2.4 seconds - Beats the edge blitz with a quick throw, doesn't give Johnson a chance, though, the quick throw got there before safety help could come over, this is why sub 3 seconds matters
3.1 seconds - play action half roll to the left, gets rid of it to beat pressure, again showing that 3 seconds is important
1.6 seconds - overload blitz, good quick release to beat it to Beck who gets the first down, this was a good job by Ehlinger
2.3 seconds - this is an interesting one because it was a sprint out to LJH on a quick out, so 2.3 seconds but the throw was actually late, Ehlinger took an extra two quick steps to throw, if the throws it at 1.9 seconds it may have been a touchdown

Anyway, point proven that 4 seconds is way too long in a real football game.

Edited by Huckleberry

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

True, but the times are roughly the same. Just looking at the first drive of the USC game and each Ehlinger attempt:

3.5 seconds - great protection, but the throw was into a really tight window because the defenders had time to adjust to the route, but he made the throw
2.6 seconds - good timing, good throw, this one was actually a much easier pass but he threw it low to Johnson, still got the completion
2.4 seconds - Beats the edge blitz with a good quick throw, doesn't give Johnson a chance, though, the quick throw got there before safety help could come over, this is why sub 3 seconds matters
3.1 seconds - play action half roll to the left, gets rid of it to beat pressure, again showing that 3 seconds is important
1.6 seconds - overload blitz, good quick release to beat it to Beck who gets the first down, this was a good job by Ehlinger
2.3 seconds - this is an interesting one because it was a sprint out to LJH on a quick out, so 2.3 seconds but the throw was actually late, Ehlinger took an extra two quick steps to throw, if the throws it at 1.9 seconds it may have been a touchdown

Anyway, point proven that 4 seconds is way too long in a real football game.

Here you go man

trophy.jpg

• Fuck You 3

Just now, Zavala said:

Here you go man

If facts and reality make you feel insecure then you might consider that the issue is actually that you don't know as much about football as you thought. I looked at the first drive in detail because Hiphopopotamos pointed out NFL data (bringing something to the discussion) and Gene Parmesan pointed out that we really need to look at college data, which was a good point.

If you want to simply post about what your feelings tell you then that's cool, but there are clearly other posters who prefer to analyze facts. Good luck with your feelings.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Watching how many balls are on target and dropped, as well as the deep passes that are connecting, the clutch passes that are connecting, he has gotten WAY more accurate than his first True Freshmen year with a new offense. 

I can think of several deep passes "that connected" where an open man was overthrown by a good margin only to make a spectacular catch and "connect" on Sam's poor throw. He throws the deep ball like a JV QB- just sort of in the area, relying on the WR to make a play, as opposed to the dimes that we used to see from someone like VY.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Do you even watch the games? Ehlinger led what would have been back to back TD drives to open the 2nd half if Porter hadn't fumbled the ball. On those drives - he made one bad throw - overthrowing Moore in the EZ - and Moore still caught the ball. 

Sam isn't any worse or more prone to fuck-ups than 19 year old Colt was.

Also, if it isn't him or Shane I'm really wondering who the fuck you want us to trot out there. But yeah, let's abandon the guy that actually has a winning record as a starter despite the shit around him so we can take our shiny freshman out of the box and play with him. I guess we can get some lighter fluid and matches and have a good ol' fashion Redshirt burning on the campus mall. 

You don't get to take 1 or 2 series in isolation and then tell us about what an uptick in performance we're seeing from this wizard at QB. It's a bullshit, laughable premise.

Beyond that and regarding the notion of competition, look, reading is hard. I get that. Comprehending what you read can often be a bridge too far, I get that too. It's tough for the rest of us to work around, however. This isn't the special education board for Texas football. Your inability to keep up with the rest of us is your problem, and you need to deal with it at home with your mother or father's help. Or hire a tutor. You're slowing the rest of us down, however, and that's not right. Perhaps try comprehending the basics of the concept that competition is ongoing into the future, and when rebutting someone who alluded to 2.75 years into the future being locked up, one might not only be discussing elements of competition in the here and now. And then attempt to reread and understand that I already said explicitly fucking this. 

• Like 1

Just now, Huckleberry said:

If facts and reality make you feel insecure then you might consider that the issue is actually that you don't know as much about football as you thought. I looked at the first drive in detail because Hiphopopotamos pointed out NFL data (bringing something to the discussion) and Gene Parmesan pointed out that we really need to look at college data, which was a good point.

If you want to simply post about what your feelings tell you then that's cool, but there are clearly other posters who prefer to analyze facts. Good luck with your feelings.

The 7 on 7 game is WAY different than NFL or even live college games. It's 100% passing, and if you had ever played or watched it, it requires throwing guys open. There is 7 defenders against 5 route runners, and while 4 sec doesn't seem like a lot, they have to make their progression and get the ball out of their hands before that buzzer, and typically do so in 2.5-3.5 seconds. 

All this statistics you bring up doesn't really disprove my point that the guy has played well in 7 on 7 tournaments - that requires leading the receiver and being an accurate passer.

Maybe he just needs to continue developing before you see it in games, since he's a true sophomore.

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You are an overly verbose, sanctimonious beat-down fuck.  Have a nice Wednesday

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

I can think of several deep passes "that connected" where an open man was overthrown by a good margin only to make a spectacular catch and "connect" on Sam's poor throw. He throws the deep ball like a JV QB- just sort of in the area, relying on the WR to make a play, as opposed to the dimes that we used to see from someone like VY.

He also hit Jerrod in the hands on a pass that was dropped and Duvernay in the numbers on a pass that was dropped.  He's obviously "better" at the deep ball than he was last year.  But he's not at all consistent in his throws yet.

All in all, he's not a world beater, and he's not Shane circa first half of 2016.  But he also isn't David Ash 2011-level bad, either.  And Ash's deep balls in 2012 were things of beauty.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You don't get to take 1 or 2 series in isolation and then tell us about what an uptick in performance we're seeing from this wizard at QB. It's a bullshit, laughable premise.

Beyond that and regarding the notion of competition, look, reading is hard. I get that. Comprehending what you read can often be a bridge too far, I get that too. It's tough for the rest of us to work around, however. This isn't the special education board for Texas football. Your inability to keep up with the rest of us is your problem, and you need to deal with it at home with your mother or father's help. Or hire a tutor. You're slowing the rest of us down, however, and that's not right. Perhaps try comprehending the basics of the concept that competition is ongoing into the future, and when rebutting someone who alluded to 2.75 years into the future being locked up, one might not only be discussing elements of competition in the here and now. And then attempt to reread and understand that I already said explicitly fucking this. 

We ain't come here to play school

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Yeah, this is right.  Think about how many of our long catches this year have been circus catches.  The receivers are open, the ball is just misplaced. 

Strangely, more of the on target passes are the ones being dropped.  We're catching more of the crazy dive and jump variety for some reason. 

We want to throw deep to keep the defense from creeping up and over-commiting to our run game, but that's a problem when only ~1/3 of our deep balls are particularly on target.  We're pretty inaccurate on 2/3 of our deep routes, although we convert some of them on freak catches, and not terribly reliable having separation or hauling in the more accurate 1/3.

I think until those % get better, dcs are going to be comfortable putting their dbs on an island vs us and daring us to make them pay.  It worked vs usc bc their offense was garbage and afforded us the chance to keep throwing deep at low %.  Against better offenses if we get in a hole early, this isn't going to work. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

By "explosive" I think he means his ACL is more likely to "explode" when getting the shit knocked out of him by a TCU linebacker. 

34 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

If by explosive, you mean that Shane's body parts to tend to explode when he is tackled after running the ball in the open field, I guess we can all agree to that.

Cool joke, bro. You have the best jokes.

Just now, Bill Lumbergh said:

Yeah, this is right.  Think about how many of our long catches this year have been circus catches.  The receivers are open, the ball is just misplaced. 

Strangely, more of the on target passes are the ones being dropped.  We're catching more of the crazy dive and jump variety for some reason.

We want to throw deep to keep the defense from creeping up Ave over-commiting to our run game, but that's a problem when only ~1/3 of our deep balls are particularly on target.  We're pretty inaccurate on 2/3 of our deep routes, although we convert since of them on freak catches, and not terribly reliable having separation or hauling in the more accurate 1/3.

I think until those % get better, dcs are going to be comfortable putting their dbs on an island vs us and daring us to make them pay.  It worked vs usc bc their offense was garbage and afforded us the chance to keep throwing deep at low %.  Against better offenses if we get in a hole early, this isn't going to work. 

It's reminding me of eric davis, who inexplicably could go 0-8 on wide open, in-rhythm threes yet hit 4-4 if he was falling away with two power forwards in his face. 

Explosive isn't a word I'd use to describe Shane or Sam. Terms like "Straight line speed" and maybe, maybe "shifty" can be used with one or both of these guys but come on man.  Either way, whoever said Sam is our starting QB for the next 2.5 years, we are property fucked from what I've seen and we have no one else on campus who can beat him out. Unless he makes monumental strides rest of this season and next, which might not be impossible but I think we've seen enough "film".  We have to get much better play out of the position to compete with top 10 teams, hell, just tcu/ou in our own shit conference and we seem far away right now.  If Sam kicks TCU's ass, I'll eat my hat and be happy as hell for him but tough to be optimistic considering what defense fat ass will throw at him this weekend.

Edited by ballrific

8 minutes ago, ballrific said:

Explosive isn't a word I'd use to describe Shane or Sam. Terms like "Straight line speed" and maybe, maybe "shifty" can be used with one or both of these guys but come on man.  Either way, whoever said Sam is our starting QB for the next 2.5 years, we are property fucked from what I've seen and we have no one else on campus who can beat him out. Unless he makes monumental strides rest of this season and next, which might not be impossible but I think we've seen enough "film".  We have to get much better play out of the position to compete with top 10 teams, hell, just tcu/ou in our own shit conference and we seem far away right now.  If Sam kicks TCU's ass, I'll eat my hat and be happy as hell for him but tough to be optimistic considering what defense fat ass will throw at him this weekend.

The fact that there is even a debate around Buechele or Ehlinger being termed matters such as "elusive" or "shifty" or "explosive" tells me how far we've collapsed as a program. Neither of these guys are fast, shifty, explosive, whatever the fuck. They're decently mobile QBs. Positively average, speed-wise, compared to the rest of the QB field in CFB.

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The fact that there is even a debate around Buechele or Ehlinger being termed matters such as "elusive" or "shifty" or "explosive" tells me how far we've collapsed as a program. Neither of these guys are fast, shifty, explosive, whatever the fuck. They're decently mobile QBs. Positively average, speed-wise, compared to the rest of the QB field in CFB.

Basically but I was trying not to offend any sensitive Uncle Rico shagsters who thought otherwise.  But yeah, I'm guessing anyone who thinks "explosive" or even "fast" applies here either haven't played with or been around alot of really good athletes. Or grew up in a very different area/high school district when it comes to football/basketball.

Edited by ballrific

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

If someone thinks Ehlinger throws a pretty ball, they're going to shit themselves when they get around to seeing Rising throw.  His passes in the spring game were crisper than anything we've seen since David Ash.

Like this one

Seriously, I haven't seen Ehlinger or Buechele look off a safety, come back and immediately release a ball over the linebacker and under the safety like that since, well, ever that I can think of.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Like this one

Seriously, I haven't seen Ehlinger or Buechele look off a safety, come back and immediately release a ball over the linebacker and under the safety like that since, well, ever that I can think of.

Holy shit - was that the middle of the field?  I've heard tale of QB's that threw passes to receivers that dared venture between the hashes - but I thought them all just fairy tales told to amuse children.

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Meanwhile, the Judas Mormon, Mendenhall goes to Vigirnia and finds a JUCO QB that is better than anything we have trotted out since 2009. You think Bryce Perkins would do well in this offense?  

Edited by Newy25

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

If someone thinks Ehlinger throws a pretty ball, they're going to shit themselves when they get around to seeing Rising throw.  His passes in the spring game were crisper than anything we've seen since David Ash.

David Ash sucked as a true freshman accuracy and decision making wise and got better as he got more experienced the following years......sound familiar?

Edited by HuntinHorn

2 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

David Ash sucked as a true freshman accuracy and decision making wise and got better as he got more experienced the following years......sound familiar?

Ash was 57.2% his freshman year and then 67.3% his sophomore year. As the saying goes, most players see their biggest improvement between years one and two. There are exceptions, but the fact that they're rare is why you remember them. Ash was 55-72 (76.4%) against our non-conference schedule his sophomore season.

Ehlinger was 57.5% his freshman year and is 57.6% so far in his sophomore year.

Colt McCoy, who some people will want to point out as improving most after year two, was 68.2% his true freshman season.

In all honesty though how often does a 2 year incumbent starter get replaced without a HC change or injury?  Not that I like it but I would guess it's a greater possibility that Sam is the starter next year than Rising taking over.  I know what Alabama just did, but to my point that was kind of unprecedented and shocking.

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

In all honesty though how often does a 2 year incumbent starter get replaced without a HC change or injury?  Not that I like it but I would guess it's a greater possibility that Sam is the starter next year than Rising taking over.  I know what Alabama just did, but to my point that was kind of unprecedented and shocking.

tenor.gif?itemid=6183168