Re-watched 1st Half

Aces_Full

Tough to watch 1st off.  This team does not look well-coached overall.  3 unsportsmanlike penalties in the 1st half, and a delay of game of the 1st effing offensive play of the season.  Wow.  I'm not sure what we are trying to do on offense?  If you are going to repeatedly run Zone Read, then your "running" QB has to keep the ball and run with it occasionally.  His passing on basic throws is downright bad.  If his strength is his ability to run, then use that, or play a different QB.  

Oline is still suspect.  Maybe marginally better.  Tackles getting man-handled all game.  

Our senior DB's (Boyd & Davis) were terrible in the 1st half.  Boyd has to make that INT.  Both had bad PI calls against them in the game.  Brandon Jones played like a stud all around.  Should have a great season.  

Malcolm Roach is playing out of position at LB.  Watch the 1st TD of the game.  He simply cannot cover enough ground.  

There is not much of a pass rush outside of Hager.  Other guys are just bodies that can't make plays.  I do have some hope that Orlando can turn things around defensively, like he did last season.  

Offensively, it just does not make any sense.  Herman and company are clueless.  Why Ingram didn't play more is baffling.  He and Watson should get all the carries.  Why they went away from the tempo that worked well in the 2nd Q is baffling as well.  Had Maryland on their heels that drive.  I do not have much faith that this offensive staff can turn things around.  There is no identity.  

These next few weeks are big for our cocky for no good reason Head Coach.  

• Like 2

Missed most of the game for wife's family reunion yesterday, mainly 1st 3 quarters.  Wanted to see where the main issues are.  Both sides of the ball were bad, we looked very undisciplined.  All of that falls on the head coach.  Getting down 24-7 is inexcusable.  He did not have this team ready for Game 1 of the season.  

Hopefully he can set aside his ego, and make the necessary changes and adjustments.  

3 minutes ago, Aces_Full said:

Both sides of the ball were bad, we looked very undisciplined.  All of that falls on the head coach.  Getting down 24-7 is inexcusable.  He did not have this team ready for Game 1 of the season.  

Hopefully he can set aside his ego, and make the necessary changes and adjustments.  

But.... this is two years in a row now. Same fucking result. 

Edited by SA-KC_Horn

1 minute ago, Aces_Full said:

Missed most of the game for wife's family reunion yesterday, mainly 1st 3 quarters.  Wanted to see where the main issues are.  Both sides of the ball were bad, we looked very undisciplined.  All of that falls on the head coach.  Getting down 24-7 is inexcusable.  He did not have this team ready for Game 1 of the season.  

He will make adjustments.  He did last year too.  We will still squeak by or lose to Louisiana Tech in our first game next year because something is truly fucked up with Texas' offseason prep.  We've been coming out uninspired in game 1 for years now.  It ain't Herman either.  He had UH ready to upset OU in game 1.

Wasn't the details the thing MENSA was going to fix that Charlie never  put any effort into doing? We went through three coaches last time before we found Mack as the fourth try at getting a winner. Tom is coach number two and we still have not even gotten a McWilliams, Ackers or Mackovick they all won conference championships.

Edited by DanTheHorn

2 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Wasn't the details the thing MENSA was going to fix that Charlie never  put any effort into doing? We went through three coaches last time before we found Mack as the fourth try at getting a winner. Tom is coach number two and we still have not even gotten a McWilliams, Ackers or Mackovick they all won conference championships.

Akers was 1 loss away from an NC.  McWilliams shocked the nation.  Mackovic had a 10-2-1 squad and James Brown's B12 inaugural champs.  They also had players that played hard.  Strong and Herman aren't shocking the nation or even mildly disturbing the nation.

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Akers was 1 loss away from an NC.  McWilliams shocked the nation.  Mackovic had a 10-2-1 squad and James Brown's B12 inaugural champs.  They also had players that played hard.  Strong and Herman aren't shocking the nation or even mildly disturbing the nation.

Akers , makes me remember the 1984(1983) cotton bowl with the dropped punt which led to 14 years in the wilderness 1984-1997. 

The Colt injury vs. Bama is the pivot point for the same decline, now in the 9th year. Spooky mirror image until the next great HC hire. 

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

Akers , makes me remember the 1984(1983) cotton bowl with the dropped punt which led to 14 years in the wilderness 1984-1997. 

The Colt injury vs. Bama is the pivot point for the same decline, now in the 9th year. Spooky mirror image until the next great HC hire. 

Yeah, that Colt injury was a death blow. The weird thing is that Gilbert was functional enough in the MNC for an inexperienced QB.  Then next year, he was complete garbage, and we've trotted out bad QBs ever since, including one who was the top dual threat QB in the nation who we have playing receiver.  It makes you wonder.  If Heard had gone to a Florida or tOSU, he might have picked up a Heisman and a MNC.

But prior to Colt, we had decent QB play going back to the early 90s.  We complained about Chris Simms.  Even Nordgren and Cherry played better in limited minutes than what we've seen in the last 10 years.  Something for sure broke with our QB development.

32 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

I was going to re-watch, but I decided that I'm going to wait until my garage gets up to 100 degrees today, zip-tie my dick to a dowel rod, lay it on the table, and repeatedly smash it with a hammer. It will be the more enjoyable experience.

Zip-tie eh?  Way more efficient than what I was using. 

• Like 2

Good summary by Aces.   For aces or anyone: 

-    Please comment on lack of pressure/penetration by the DL.    The jet sweep brought back the nightmare of Quentin Griffin,  Texas-OU, 2000.

-    OL  ?    The pass pro by the OL seemed good to average,   but was this because the lack of blitzing by Maryland  ?

-    Team speed seemed to be lacking on both sides of the ball,  especially  the front 7.

20 minutes ago, torre said:

-    Please comment on lack of pressure/penetration by the DL.    The jet sweep brought back the nightmare of Quentin Griffin,  Texas-OU, 2000.

-    OL  ?    The pass pro by the OL seemed good to average,   but was this because the lack of blitzing by Maryland  ?

-    Team speed seemed to be lacking on both sides of the ball,  especially  the front 7.

- Jet Sweeps: PJ Locke.  No pressure = missing Poona.  No push up the middle.  Graham seemed  nonexistent.  

- pass protection was sufficient/run blocking was mostly bad.

- Team opened and played incredibly flat and tight - just like last year.  These guys weren't playing to instinct.  They are (over)thinking way too much.   Herman has whiffed on this notion twice in two years.  18-21 yr old kids are largely mental midgets.  Simplify that shit, play to strengths, and let the kids fly.  

Edited by BigVegasHorn26

10 minutes ago, torre said:

Actually, yeah.  Pass protection was pretty good.  Ehlinger was so off that I didn't notice it, but he wasn't pressured all that much, and he had plenty of time to under or over throw his receivers.  Maryland didn't blitz much, and they covered well enough, but Sam's throws were just really off.  I actually thought our receivers played pretty well too considering.  Not much YAC, but there were several completions that I thought were near uncatchable.  It is frustrating to see a receiver streaking open about 5 yards out where a well thrown ball would result in a 15 to 20 yard gain.  And instead we get a reach back and fall down catch for 5 yards. I think thats why there was a perceived lack of speed on the offensive side.

We also still run the telegraphed lob that goes to a standstill WR 1 yard out who gets blown up that's been a staple since Greg Davis.  

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

McWilliams' Cotton Bowl was both shocking and disturbing.