Depot for poor personnel choices 2018 season

alphahorn

One constant during the tommy herman tenure has been the mysterious personnel choices.  Thought we could use a thread to track our favorites.

Rod Babers on the horn just noted that late in the game we ran 11 personnel with Beck spread out wide.  Rod was understandably laughing at this.

Playing the running back who is fourth team on your depth chart when the game is on the line.  Benching Ingram who showed flashes and a 6 ypc average. 

well that's a start, your turn

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

WRs still not blocking. tOSU's former WR coach is available. Dump Mehringer and bring on Zach.

THK5S

This is a personnel thread, but I’m getting worn out by CJ’s inability to block or get open, so it might fit. I don’t think you pull him yet, but we have to get more production and blocking out of him. Love his two great catches but we need so much more out of him. 

Porter being in the game at all, the personnel on the last drive, and Ingram’s ghost job, but you already mentioned all those.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

This is a personnel thread, but I’m getting worn out by CJ’s inability to block or get open, so it might fit. I don’t think you pull him yet, but we have to get more production and blocking out of him. Love his two great catches but we need so much more out of him. 

The fuck can one be unable to block a position player generally 6 inches shorter and 50 lbs lighter?

3 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

He may be the best we've got at his position,  but Charles Omenihu is not very good.  

Always thought he was overrated. I think we will struggle against the run at times this year because I think our front 6 is overrated. I believe our secondary can be special, if Boyd pulls his head out of his ass, and Davis is merely serviceable / Boyce develops, and quickly. I trust Orlando to scheme around our obvious front 6 weaknesses. 

I’d settle for a QB who can throw to the proper shoulder on a WR screen or swing pass. 

Also, for personnel choice, throwing a quick screen to Jerrod Heard one play after he came up cramping post catch was an interesting choice. 

The funny thing with Porter is you can see Herman wanted someone in who wouldn’t lose the game, but at the expense of someone who might win the game. 

Andrew Beck being split wide like he’s healthy Blaine Irby instead of never made a dent in the passing game in his career Andrew Beck was also nice. 

In general, you would bring in a TE and then split him out hoping the defense "personnels" for it.   You still have to cover the TE.

We did run some 4 dl sets.  Usually when Grahm was in. 

Strong tried Hager at LB. The results were not good.

I agree with others that Roach needs to be at DE.  Not sure they had a choice for this game though. 

Edited by Iguana
added

The problem with personneling is that Beck isn’t a mismatch as a receiver and we weren’t exactly killling it with him as a run blocker. 

Its very indicative of every play happening in a vacuum in our offensive staff’s mind. 

“We have a TE in the game. Surely they have to adjust.”  

Nobody asks if the TE demands an adjustment. It’s just assumed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Porter being in the game at all, the personnel on the last drive, and Ingram’s ghost job, but you already mentioned all those.

He's a wide RECEIVER not a wide blocker.

Herman benches Ingram due to inexperience, yet allows J. Moore to play and get targeted on a crucial 3rd down conversion attempt. The WR/TE rotations continue to be a shit-show. And where the fuck was Leitao at TE? I don't recall him being injured. 

The Avatar was out of town this weekend and I got completely shit-hammered on Saturday night knowing that I to play in a golf tournament Sunday morning.  Hit on one of the Avatar's friends to no avail.  Decided that dinner was over-rated and continued to pound old-fashioned like they were going to be outlawed.  Drunk-texed an old girlfriend looking for a 2 AM booty call.

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

The problem with personneling is that Beck isn’t a mismatch as a receiver and we weren’t exactly killling it with him as a run blocker. 

Its very indicative of every play happening in a vacuum in our offensive staff’s mind. 

“We have a TE in the game. Surely they have to adjust.”  

Nobody asks if the TE demands an adjustment. It’s just assumed. 

A TE Becomes a matchup problem if he can catch and Block.  Putting him out wide takes away the blocking part unless it's the WR Screen.  Should just use a regular receiver for that.  So stupid.

There were several times when we had CJ to one side and LJH and Duvernay to the other and they were doubling CJ with a safety.  The other safety was playing over LJH. Yet I never saw us run LJH on a hard “in” route to draw the safety up and send Duvernay on a deep post.  He could beat that corner on that route 3/4 times.   

• Like 1

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

There were several times when we had CJ to one side and LJH and Duvernay to the other and they were doubling CJ with a safety.  The other safety was playing over LJH. Yet I never saw us run LJH on a hard “in” route to draw the safety up and send Duvernay on a deep post.  He could beat that corner on that route 3/4 times.   

This is kind of what I had in mind. 

Pass pro actually wasn't horrible.  I have trouble believing Maryland's secondary could hold up to well designed route concepts with those three consistently stretching the field.

Maybe they don't trust Sam to hit them often enough to make it hurt, and if that's true, it's pretty sad he's our starter. 

• Like 1

He's a wide RECEIVER not a wide blocker.

And yet an OT doesn’t actually tackle, they block. So fuck off with your stupid response.

If it’s a run play a WR blocks. If it’s a pass and it doesn’t go to you then you block. So in reality, a majority of the time a fucking WR should be blocking.

1 minute ago, Ldogg53 said:

And yet an OT doesn’t actually tackle, they block. So fuck off with your stupid response.

If it’s a run play a WR blocks. If it’s a pass and it doesn’t go to you then you block. So in reality, a majority of the time a fucking WR should be blocking.

In general if you don't have the ball you should be blocking or trying to get the ball on offense. 

8 hours ago, PatSolitanojr said:

Sam Ehlinger starting

I get he is the easy target. That last decision, and its constant reoccurrence is a problem. However, I disagree here and put to Sam's large successes when given the chance to succeed.

Up tempo offense, with Ingram/Watson in the backfield, Sam runs for 45 yards or so and completes 90%.

Ask him to be a pocket passer and pick apart a prevent defense? That's a position he is not often going to succeed at and that has been obvious for over a year. Not to mention coach also put two players (beck, porter) on the field who pose zero threat to a prevent defense.

Sam was essentially asked to run 9v11 prevent and make it work. Every WR had double coverage and Sam had a spy to keep him from running. He made a poor decision and throw. That's on him but 75 to 80 percent, whatever arbitrary number, of the fault lies with the coaches.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ldogg53 said:

You need to get out of your parents’ basement more often if you think my comment was even the least bit serious.