Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

On 7/7/2022 at 9:35 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

I haven’t been to Bearded Lady since they moved. Went twice and was disappointed both times. But I have now had two different people whose opinion I trust tell me how good it was in the last month. Anyone not named Texzilla care to confirm or kill that notion?

I got brunch there a few months ago and everything was cold. They have some grilled cheese of the month thing though and apparently that's been good.

Hurtado Barbecue, an Arlington craft barbecue restaurant that has become a favorite for fans visiting AT&T Stadium, will add a Fort Worth Southside location in August, Brandon Hurtado said Saturday.

Hurtado will take over the space at 1116 Eighth Ave. that is currently home to Derek Allan’s Texas Barbecue, Hurtado said. Derek Allan’s is open pending the changeover, he said.

Rest of the article doesn't say anything about Allan's next move, if there is one. 

17 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Rest of the article doesn't say anything about Allan's next move, if there is one. 

A while back Allan announced some burger place. I think in the old funkytown donut building. 

Shit ton of cue within a three mile radius.

• Like 1

Hurtado Barbecue, an Arlington craft barbecue restaurant that has become a favorite for fans visiting AT&T Stadium, will add a Fort Worth Southside location in August, Brandon Hurtado said Saturday.
Hurtado will take over the space at 1116 Eighth Ave. that is currently home to Derek Allan’s Texas Barbecue, Hurtado said. Derek Allan’s is open pending the changeover, he said.

There are two bad stories in that article. 1. Is Derek Allan shutting down? It’s great barbecue but I’ve never seen a crowd there or it even busy. I think it’s a tough location as it’s smack in the middle of hospitals; parking is tight, its away from Magnolia Ave which is dominated by Heim which sells liquor.

2. Hurtado has been talking about expanding. I get antsy when a pitmaster decides to go from Trailer to bricks, adds an evening service, and especially adding a location. He has a special territory in resurgent downtown Arlington. He’s now venturing into a restaurant war zone. Tons of competition.

I hope this doesn’t mean the end of both.

The Derek Allen burger place is supposed to open in the old Funky Town donuts just down the street. It is almost invisible.

^ You got two whole days left. 
Burger shack is no-go too. 
He is also changing his plan and will not open a burger restaurant nearby, he said.

Barbecue is a very hard way to try and make a living, especially these days when a new one pops up every week. Thin margins, high food costs, ridiculous labor and fuel costs. I don’t blame Mr Allan and his wife for tossing in the towel. Doing breakfast and two meals of barbecue is a grind. I think we’re due a shakeout; there’s just more doors than can be supported long term.

I mean, the Monte Cristo has powdered sugar & strawberry jelly, but onion rings early don’t sound ideal. 

Correction: chipotle raspberry jam. 

Breakfast Monte Cristo

Brioche dipped in french toast batter; filled with bacon, tasso ham, fried eggs, swiss and dusted in powdered sugar; With chipotle raspberry jam and choice of side

Edited by shadow_operative2.0

I mean, the Monte Cristo has powdered sugar & strawberry jelly, but onion rings early don’t sound ideal. 
Breakfast Monte Cristo
Brioche dipped in french toast batter; filled with bacon, tasso ham, fried eggs, swiss and dusted in powdered sugar; With chipotle raspberry jam and choice of side

Never had one with an egg inside. It’s usually a French toast ham sandwich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Breakfast Monte Cristo

Never had one with an egg inside. It’s usually a French toast ham sandwich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The popular “Singing Chef” is so busy, he wanted to move to a bigger restaurant.

But Everman and Forest Hill wouldn’t let him go.

“The community went nuts and said, ‘You’ve got to stay here!’ “ Sammy Fox said. He’s a chef by day, drummer and bandleader by night and neighborhood fixture, dishing up home cooking at the Singing Chef Cafe, 8000 Wichita St.

When dinner’s over, he plays nightclubs as the Singing Chef.

Last weekend, he was serving up grilled-peach pork chops, thinking about a nightclub show later in Arlington and his new spinoff project in Fort Worth.

Instead of moving, Fox will expand. He said he take over the kitchen at the Red Goose Saloon downtown, 306 Houston St. near Sundance Square.

He plans to serve gourmet mac-and-cheese and pizza slices during Red Goose music shows. The menu name: Big Mo’s Macaroni & Slice.

There are few things more shocking in FW than the Goose still being alive in some form. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

There are few things more shocking in FW than the Goose still being alive in some form. 

The fact that it outlasted the Caravan of Dreams and Reatta (now) still is a head scratcher for me. 

4 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

This is Bonnell’s homage to his pal Jon Meyersonnwho had Jon’s Grill for years across from TCU. It’s now Dutch’s.

He says burgers and barbecue. I’m anxious to try it. Jon Bonnell only makes great stuff

Drinking at the University Pub/Hi Hat/Oui Lounge and eating a burger at Jon's Grille was a weekly endeavor for me back in the 80's. But while at the Oui would let Johnny Whitten bring dinner to the bar from Caro's, a precursor to door dash.

Trevor is an awesome dude and makes some damn good meat as well. I wouldn’t say he’s the best, but I’ve never once been disappointed. Next time get his hot chicken sammich with the dank sauce. 

Now waddle across the street to Nickel City and get a lone star on draft

Edited by Herbie Hancock
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, fellside said:

I did the Bonnells curbside meal for the first time yesterday and I don't regret it.  I figured it wouldn't be up to par with his normal stuff because it's cheaper but everything tasted incredible.

PXL_20220723_211428957.jpg

We have done Bonnells curbside and highly recommend.  The food is very good at home and usually enough for two meals.  He also joins supports many local schools through the year so you get to feel good about your purchase