Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Yeah. One Select and one Academy out there. I loved FWYSA and everything we got out of it but the talent level dropped off pretty quickly.

Our daughter’s rec team (blindly put together) played together for four calendar years there. Last four seasons were as follows 9-1 (120 gd), 10-0 (144 gd), we played up 10-0 (48 gd), played up again 8-1-1 (44 gd). Last year we played on club and rec teams all year and this year had to pick one. Select was the route. The boy played rec last year and got bored so he’s already doing academy.

I hit Hurtado two weeks ago. First of all, I'm no BBQ snob, and I love when places live up to the hype, but I have to say this place was very underwhelming. Wife and I showed up at 10:30 as previously suggested, but there was really no line, just a few people still ordering breakfast. We went ahead and paid anyway and waited for the magical 11:00am hour to get our food. We got brisket and ribs only, with a side of beans and mac and cheese. No sausage since they said it wasn't ready yet. Really? The lean brisket was too dry and way over peppery for me, while the ribs tasted like they were left over from the previous day. Beans had a lot of chili powder, think Railhead, but the mac and cheese was really good. Without prompting, my wife said she didn't think the brisket was up to par either. I know I should go back and give them another try, but with too many other close options such as dependable Brix and Panther, why take the chance. Hopefully your experience will be better as I know every restaurant has a bad day now and then.

• Like 1

Anyone else else dealing Friday insurance pulling out of Texas? They were the only private insurance I am aware of that was in network with Cook's Children's. I'm contract and my wife's insurance is cost prohibitive. I'm going to jump on the portal at some point but wondering if anyone else is dealing with this. Kid just turned one, no heath issues.
(Not looking for a broker reference)

Goddamn, Cityview. First the Dr. Bob shit, now this. 

Two people were injured in a shooting at a Fort Worth nightclub early Saturday morning, police said.

According to the police incident report, the shooting happened around 1 a.m. at the country western nightclub Guitars and Cadillacs, located at 4750 Bryant Irvin Road.

A police spokesperson said one of the victims was also the shooter and has been listed as a suspect. No arrests had been made as of early Saturday afternoon. 

Detectives are investigating the shooting and trying to determine if the motive was self-defense, the spokesperson said. 

The victims, identified in the police report as 22-year-old Falicia Amber Wright of Granbury and 42-year-old Dimonique Arnett of Dallas, were transported to a hospital. 

A spokesperson from MedStar said one of the victims was seriously injured, but it’s not known which one. The other received minor injuries. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 12:08 AM, Dr Fear said:

Anyone else else dealing Friday insurance pulling out of Texas? They were the only private insurance I am aware of that was in network with Cook's Children's. I'm contract and my wife's insurance is cost prohibitive. I'm going to jump on the portal at some point but wondering if anyone else is dealing with this. Kid just turned one, no heath issues.
(Not looking for a broker reference)

Unless I was dreaming it, I got a notice from Friday in the mail saying my premiums were going from $490 to  $900 something. A week or two later I got another notice from them saying they were not going to be available in Texas.

On 11/8/2022 at 11:29 AM, po elvis said:

Unless I was dreaming it, I got a notice from Friday in the mail saying my premiums were going from $490 to  $900 something. A week or two later I got another notice from them saying they were not going to be available in Texas.

Our Florida based home insurance company went tits up in September.  Surely they will refund the premium back to our escrow account for the last two months (yeah, RIGHT!).  Went back to my old reliable Texas Farm Bureau and look forward to smooth sailing.

Hey, Bud! What ever happened to Grady Spears? Sure miss his chicken-fried. 

News bulletin: Grady Spears is back. Spears, the founding chef at Reata and now-gone Horseshoe Hill, will serve $55 chicken-fried steak dinners and $65 rib-eye dinners on Wednesday nights beginning Nov. 30 at the Fort Brewery and Pizza, 2737 Tillar St. Then, he’ll cook dinners nightly and Sunday brunch Jan. 18-Feb. 4 as a short-term gig during the Stock Show. Spears’ career is a melodrama, sometimes a dark one, but “a lot of people were craving his food,” brewery owner Will Churchill said. The event is limited to 65 diners each night; fkevents.com. 

Did not know Will had this place. $55 is rather rich. 

IMG-1652.jpg

Will Churchill now tee’d up to be the next investor/enabler/fool to be fucked/pissed on/shit on/abandoned by Grady Spears.

I go back to the wonders of his cooking at the Reata that got destroyed in the tornado up on top of the bank building. Back when a $13 CFS or $10 enchiladas was special. I have eaten in nearly every place he has opened or cooked at. He’s had every opportunity to be a rock star and blown it.

When we lived out west when we came home we’d try to have dinner at Reata. Those tenderloin tamales, the cfs, his chile relleno were just awesome. Later we were in Granbury and walked past the Nutt House, with a sign Grady was cooking there. So we went in. The hostess said it was a limited menu as Grady was a no show and he didn’t have a sous.

Later when he opened Grady’s Place on Forest Park we went one night. It was a nice space, but it turned into a really bad night. Servers were bringing dishes sporadically to each table. Folks were getting vocal and Grady came out a few times to tables. One table was evidently some investors; they were talking to Grady like a dog. Our app came out it was fine, the tortilla soup was cold and sent back. A basket of corn stars came out nearly raw, sent back. And we waited. And waited. Grady is at the bar. I asked the server to bring him to my table. He was drunk. I said we’ve waited an hour for our mains and she can’t tell us a status. “I’ll see if the kitchen is still open”. The server came out and said our entrees weren’t coming and that Grady comped the meal. Wasn’t really the result we wanted. We grabbed whataburgers going home. He was runoft about 60 days later.

Skipped his Line Camp venture in Tolar. We were in the stockyards and was going to eat at LoS Vaqueros or Star Cafe and they were packed as was H3 and Cattleman’s. Horseshoe Hill beckoned. They could seat us at the bar. It was back to greatness. The cfs was ethereal. A few months later we returned, sat at the bar. Grady was drunk and loud but cooking. The cfs I was brought was garbage. I scraped off the batter to reveal basically a huge slice of gristle. I got Grady out, he wobbled, apologized, comped it, and asked if he could make two more. No thank you. We went across the street to Hookers and had fantastic oklahoma onion burgers, chili dogs, and fry bread tacos. Two weeks later he got busted for hitting his wife. He’s a con artist. I won’t patronize his place again

• Hook 'Em 1

Starting to really dig into the FW RE market,  what’s the scoop on meadowbrook and woodhaven? Seems like actual decent areas and great bang for the buck but never driven them at all or known anybody there. Seems schools are pure shit, which goes for everything not near tcu elementaries?

On 11/23/2022 at 12:02 AM, bluto said:

Starting to really dig into the FW RE market,  what’s the scoop on meadowbrook and woodhaven? Seems like actual decent areas and great bang for the buck but never driven them at all or known anybody there. Seems schools are pure shit, which goes for everything not near tcu elementaries?

Great houses, not close to anywhere decent to eat or shop

• Like 1

My family lived in Handley- Meadowbrook from the 30’s. The area has been neglected by Ft Worth since Handley was annexed in the 40’s. It continues to decline. Crime has been rampant since the late 80’s as the apartments in the area were section 8’d at the same time as the courts released thousands of violent felons.

Woodhaven was a very nice development that got encircled by the hood. Handley is a war zone. Meadowbrook has some nice sections with some killer views along Martel. There is no major commerce. WalMart and Fiesta closed the last grocery stores so you’re going to the west side, Arlington, or NRH/HEB. It’s a damn shame as it’s a perfect location as it’s quick to Both downtowns and DFW, lots of old trees, and nice homes from the 30’s thru the 80’s. There are some new developments peppered in there as well. I had hoped to buy some houses as flips thru there after I inherited my moms house but the regen efforts thru there haven’t overcome the primary challenges of high crime, slumlord rentals, and no neighborhood commerce. (If you check it out La Rueda is good Mexican, Griffs is a great burger, and Big Boyz is decent barbecue.)
  • Like 1

Who knew this place existed? 

M&M.jpg

The M & M Steak House, an old-time dive known for cold beer and 2-pound steaks laced with garlic, is officially closed and for rent, owner Keith Kidwill said this week.

The M & M, a landmark for Stockyards visitors since 1965 at 1109 N.W. 28th St., had not reopened since the early 2020 onset of the pandemic.

But Kidwill held out hope to reopen the tiny, dimly lit West Texas-style cowboy steakhouse with its jukebox loaded with 1950s country songs and cinder-block walls covered in neon beer signs and taxidermy.

“We’re best known for being a dive,” Kidwill said this week.

In a 1995 Star-Telegram review, he said: “We ain’t no tourist place. Nobody stops here unless you know us or somebody sent you.”

The restaurant was originally a Czech-style steakhouse, Papa Joe’s.

In 1965, restaurateur Joe Hubenak opened the steakhouse featuring cowboy-sized sirloins laced with garlic, calf fries and frog legs.

After Hubenak’s passing in 1976, restaurateurs Mike Mabry of Mike’s Diner in Haltom City and Marie New of Marie’s Diner downtown partnered up to rename the steakhouse “M & M.”

Kidwill is known mainly as a West Exchange Avenue investor. Some of his properties were recently used in 6666 Ranch owner Taylor Sheridan’s TV series “1883,” a prequel to “Yellowstone.”

Kidwill, 63, started at the M & M and bought it when he was 17, he said.

“I was as dumb as you can get and had no idea about running a restaurant,” he said.

The location on the outskirts of the Stockyards is still good for a small steakhouse, he said.

“It’s just time for me to stop running two restaurants,” he said.

He also owns the even older Margie’s Original Italian Kitchen, 9805 Camp Bowie Blvd. West.

In a 2008 review of the M & M, the Star-Telegram wrote: “If you’re not picky about the decor, or the atmosphere, or the side dishes, the M & M is a great place for steak.”

The “dusty old cafe feels like the setting for a western,” the reviewer wrote.

The review touted the hamburger steak, a pound of chopped sirloin loaded with garlic and grilled onions.

Even the chicken-fried steaks were battered with extra garlic.

The only side dishes were baked potatoes or fries, plus an iceberg lettuce salad with ranch dressing.

The M & M took a jolt in 2003, when a driver crashed a Honda Accord into the west wall at 3 a.m. one night.

Stuffed animal heads and neon beer signs were sent flying. The original jukebox was crushed, along with 45-rpm country singles by Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline and Hank Thompson from the 1950s and ’60s.

The M & M remodeled and replaced the jukebox and updated the restrooms.

Commenters on Yelp.com described it as “a taste of real and classic DFW” and “the perfect hole in the wall.”

11 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Looks real good now. 

BH2z-Kv-Wa5efy.png

Kidwill's name is on the For Lease sign next door too. And farther right is Benbrook Motors, which moved from somewhere over in our hood. 

probably been 7-8 years since i went last.  Cherbie was the real treasure in the 90's.  Cooked with a big cheekful of chew.  Never asked her if it was redman or levi.  Lots of good memories at the old place.  shame.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

probably been 7-8 years since i went last.  Cherbie was the real treasure in the 90's.  Cooked with a big cheekful of chew.  Never asked her if it was redman or levi.  Lots of good memories at the old place.  shame.

Well said. This location and the one at 35/28th street were both in rotation back in the day. Their calf fries were definitely an acquired taste but one that never disappointed.