Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Just got this email from the Monticello Neighborhood Association. Has it really come to this?

As some of you may have noticed, many folks in the neighborhood have engaged a private security company called Resource Group to watch over their houses on a regular basis. The company is typically in black suburbans and has licensed, armed officers working the shifts.

Resource Group has several different options and plans for anybody that is interested.
[/Quote]

Ugh. When I first moved here in 2010 they used to have an old Expedition that neighbors would volunteer to drive around the neighborhood all weekend with a "SECURITY" sticker on it. Fucking stupid.

One beautiful spring afternoon I was drinking a beer with a friend on the driveway. He's black. So of course the guy stops, rolls down the window and asks if everything's "ok".

I slowly walked up to the passenger side, and told him to mind his own fucking business and never slow down or stop at my house ever again.

The only crimes are thanks to idiots who leave their car unlocked in the driveway overnight.

That post reads more like an advertisement for the security company anyway. "Come on guys, everyone's doing it"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Ugh. When I first moved here in 2010 they used to have an old Expedition that neighbors would volunteer to drive around the neighborhood all weekend with a "SECURITY" sticker on it. Fucking stupid.

One beautiful spring afternoon I was drinking a beer with a friend on the driveway. He's black. So of course the guy stops, rolls down the window and asks if everything's "ok".

I slowly walked up to the passenger side, and told him to mind his own fucking business and never slow down or stop at my house ever again.

The only crimes are thanks to idiots who leave their car unlocked in the driveway overnight.

That post reads more like an advertisement for the security company anyway. "Come on guys, everyone's doing it"

Good on you for that. 

Went to one of the soft openings this weekend for Gustos Burgers, who moved from their food trailer behind Tulips into the old Radler building on Magnolia. Really good smash burger if you like that sort of thing. Only beer and margaritas, but plan on having a full bar in the near future. 

20 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Is Papis the one in the old Dive burger joint? 

Also, @Herbie Hancock or anyone else that spends time in the hospital district, ever ate here on Rosedale? 

AF1-Qip-PKc21pv-q-JO6-Wt-Uho7b-Qt9o-Li-R

http://goodluckdrivein.com/

Damn right I have!  Chopped sammich followed by a dip of skoal and a leisurely, leg falling asleep dump is a great way to spend a non working Friday afternoon.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Is Papis the one in the old Dive burger joint? 

Also, @Herbie Hancock or anyone else that spends time in the hospital district, ever ate here on Rosedale? 

AF1-Qip-PKc21pv-q-JO6-Wt-Uho7b-Qt9o-Li-R

http://goodluckdrivein.com/

Diners, drive inns, and dives candidate that gets it.  The barbecue chicken and catfish make this a good choice and the price makes it  very attractive.

• Like 1

Someone here has to know this family. 

The Fort Worth community is mourning the loss of a North Texas CEO and his two children who were killed in a car crash.

Construction CEO and TCU alum Zach Muckleroy and his children – 12-year-old Judson and 9-year-old Lindsey – died Wednesday while on their way to visit family in Central Texas. 

Muckleroy’s wife, Lauren, was the only survivor. She was flown to an Austin hospital in critical condition.

Hearts were heavy and broken at the University Christian Church in Fort Worth. A vigil was held there Friday to give friends a way to grieve for the unspeakable loss.

Senior minister Russ Peterman said multiple generations of Muckleroys grew up attending the Fort Worth church.

"Zach was not only a member of the congregation but a friend as well. I love that family. Those kids are amazing. Lauren is a fighter," the Rev. Peterman said.

Investigators said the three-car crash took place in Blanco County near Johnson City off Highway 281. Four of the six people involved died.

The name of the fourth victim has not yet been released.

Peterman said he’s been receiving constant updates on Lauren Muckleroy's condition.

She has undergone multiple surgeries and has been awake at times. But she is now without her husband and two children.

"She’s aware that she lost her family. You can only imagine how hard that must be," he said.

Zach Muckleroy was known as a pillar of the Fort Worth community.

He took over as CEO of his family’s business – Muckleroy and Falls Construction Company – three years ago.

He graduated from TCU and played for the Horned Frogs football team in 1998.

"He was one of those guys that everybody knew and loved. I never heard a person say a negative word about him in any way, shape, or form. Not just him, his entire family," Peterson said. 

Former TCU Coach Gary Patterson offered his condolences on social media, writing that Muckleroy was a great Horned Frog, husband, dad, and friend.

spacer.png

I cannot imagine the pain and suffering this poor wife and mother will endure. My prayers are with her. So horrific.

The only thing I truly fear in life is outliving my kids or grandkids. I can’t imagine the pain. I know too many who have suffered this, mostly due to drugs, but a few to disease, suicide, or accidents. I don’t know how she puts a life back together.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Texzilla58 said:

I cannot imagine the pain and suffering this poor wife and mother will endure. My prayers are with her. So horrific.

The only thing I truly fear in life is outliving my kids or grandkids. I can’t imagine the pain. I know too many who have suffered this, mostly due to drugs, but a few to disease, suicide, or accidents. I don’t know how she puts a life back together.

There is nothing that can equal the emotional/physical burden losing a child brings.  I am going to make a point of reaching out to Lauren along with other members of our congregation and letting her know about the survivor groups that are a source of great comfort and encouragement. This is a journey no one wants to take and should not be taken alone-I could not and would not have made it without the support of my fellow travelers.

• Like 3

There is nothing that can equal the emotional/physical burden losing a child brings.  I am going to make a point of reaching out to Lauren along with other members of our congregation and letting her know about the survivor groups that are a source of great comfort and encouragement. This is a journey no one wants to take and should not be taken alone-I could not and would not have made it without the support of my fellow travelers.

Prayers for you too PCH. Sorry you have suffered this tragedy too. Only other survivors can truly know her pain. The rest of us can only try to comfort.
  • Like 2

A new bar in downtown Fort Worth is bringing a “classy yet approachable” vibe to Houston Street.

The Archibald opened its doors in October at 902 Houston St., replacing Houston Street Bar and Patio, which closed in May after 17 years.

After working in the bar and restaurant industry for a decade separately and nearly another one together, Archibald co-owners Keith Arias and Garett Bratt always wanted to open their own spot.

Their dreams finally came true when they got word from a friend that Houston Street Bar and Patio’s lease was ending, Bratt said. The pair realized how perfect the downtown location was and pulled the trigger on the lease, bringing in Vira Philaphandeth to partner with them.

“This is about 25 years of dreams coming true for us,” Bratt said. “You go through your bartending shifts every day and you hope one day you can own a place, and our dreams came true here.”

Over the summer, The Archibald crew renovated the building to a more lounge-like look.

The back bar on the bottom floor was ripped out, along with the plaster on the walls to expose the natural brick, Arias said. As for the new seating, green couches are paired with black stools against the exposed brick wall.

But the major draw for the Houston Street Bar and Patio and now The Archibald, is the rooftop patio.

The patio has a jungle theme, with greenery hanging around nearly every part of the rooftop. To pair with the green, wooden couches with peach-colored cushions are scattered around the patio, along with wooden chairs and high-top tables in the back.

When Philaphandeth designed the patio, all she had in mind was the color green, which led to the kind of New York City meets the jungle vibe.

“That’s kind of a lot of the reviews, is like they don’t feel like they’re in Fort Worth,” Philaphandeth said. 

Archibald patrons will never go thirsty at the bar, with a slew of specialty cocktails on the menu.

Some of the most popular drinks are the “Archibald Old Fashioned” (Crown Royal, bitters, simple syrup, orange peel and black cherry), “Coconut Reserve” (Woodford Reserve, Grand Marnier, lemon juice, coconut syrup, orange bitters and garnish) and “Raspberry Cheesecake” (Ketel One vodka, raspberry liquor, cream and mint leaf).

Patrons also won’t go hungry thanks to chef Joshua Villegas and the on-site Son Of A Baker Pizzeria.

A few of the pies on the menu include the “Presley Pesto” (pesto, mozzarella, sun dried tomatoes, chicken, basil and parmesan reggiano) and “The Angry Pig” (sriracha honey, bourbon habanero bacon jam, red pepper flakes, jalapenos and Italian sausage).

The Archibald’s name means bold and distinguished and that’s exactly the “classy yet approachable” vibe the bar is going for, Bratt said.

“We’re just really excited to be downtown,” Bratt said. “I can’t wait for everyone to actually see the space and taste the pizza and enjoy the drinks that we put together.”

The Archibald is open Monday-Friday 4 p.m. to 2 a.m. and Saturday-Sunday noon to 2 a.m. at 902 Houston St. 

Spoiler

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

Many weekend nights closed down there at the old shithole. Some of you should know that Keith dude from Woody's & 15 other places. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Looking for a new auto mechanic, need brakes and a wheel bearing. Any recs? I'm near west 7th.

I haven't been yet, but I see amazing reviews for Family Car Care Center behind Serious Pizza. I have some work I need done soon, and that's where I'm going.

Edited by fwtxbevo

15 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

Many weekend nights closed down there at the old shithole. Some of you should know that Keith dude from Woody's & 15 other places. 

Have been to the new incarnation a couple of times. Pretty good. Does a good job of feeling nicer than average but also not douchey.

6 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Looking for a new auto mechanic, need brakes and a wheel bearing. Any recs? I'm near west 7th.

Andy's Automotive on NW 28th street has been my go to for my Genesis.  His labor costs have consistently been lower than his competitors and he stands behind his work. though I've never had to return because he and his mechanics know how to turn a wrench and they have been in business for 40+ years.  817-708-2574.  I bought my parts from RockAuto.com when I had the brakes and rotors replaced in May.  The entire bill for parts and labor was $925 and the next closest competitor was over $2200. Mine is a 2013 with 165,000 miles and having a good shop as well as a good parts supplier has made it worth keeping up to OE standards.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fwtxbevo said:

I haven't been yet, but I see amazing reviews for Family Car Care Center behind Serious Pizza. I have some work I need done soon, and that's where I'm going.

Jeff is a great guy.  His place does great work and they are fair.  Never had any of the upsell stuff.  Highly recommend!

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 2:23 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Man, we miss 7th Haven & Taco Heads. 

On 10/24/2023 at 2:43 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Welp, killed them too. 

The two Taco Heads restaurants, originally a taco truck that Sarah Castillo built over 14 years into a dining and tequila-making empire, will close in January and March, she said Monday.

The original Taco Heads, 1812 Montgomery St. near Dickies Arena, will close March 1. A newer location at 2349 N. Main St. will close Jan. 1, she said.

Taco Heads started in 2010 when Castillo had a dream about a food truck serving specialty tacos.

The truck originally operated late at night behind bars in the West 7th area of Fort Worth, then parked in 2016 when Castillo converted a former Tex-Mex restaurant and resale store on Montgomery Street into a restaurant.

The Stockyards location opened in 2020.

Castillo and partners also operate Tinies, 113 S. Main St., a contemporary interior-Mexico restaurant, and Sidesaddle Saloon, 122 E. Exchange Ave.

This year, she and partners founded La Pulga Spirits, a 100%-agave tequila maker. 

Ha, that was a quick flip-flop. 

Taco Heads is staying.

Both landmark restaurants, known for specialty tacos and one of the city’s top-ranked margaritas, will remain open near Dickies Arena and in the Fort Worth Stockyards, founder Sarah Castillo said Wednesday.

The two locations, 1812 Montgomery St. and 2349 N. Main St., will continue with Christmas and New Year’s Eve parties and specials for crowds coming January 12-February 3 for the Fort Worth Stock Show & Rodeo, she said.

A photo of a sign was posted on the restaurant’s Instagram account:

IMG_0747.jpg

“We are definitely still open and everybody’s happy and excited,” she said, explaining that plans have worked out since an earlier announcement about changes.

“I think everything happens for a reason,” she said. “I am honestly so relieved.” 

Bolded is funny. 

I have no social media presence or prowess.  And I'm sure I'm gonna get this story wrong, but I don't give fuck one about the principals in it.  But it just has "da fuh?" written all over it and doesn't warrant its own thread.  Some friends from undergrad told me this story as I was visiting Fort Worth over the holiday.  

But some foreign luxury brand car owner sells all his dealerships in Florida and moves to Fort Worth.  Wife blows $50mm+ on her daughter's wedding.  Even if you're worth several hundred million, spending 10-20% of your net worth on a wedding seems weird.  Not my place to judge.  But she's now like a internet sensation not even because the wedding was that interesting, but just because what she spent on it.  I have no idea how you spend that much on a wedding in Texas unless you just hand out $17,999 checks to passing strangers in the parking lot by the thousands.  And then it turns out the new husband is still out on parole for assaulting 3 Fort Worth police officers over the summer?  What the fuck?  Did I miss something?

Authenticate frontier gibberish comes to the FW thread 

and on taco heads staying open vs closing… green jacket gold jacket, who gives a shit. not you posting it but I’ve never heard anybody talk about that food in a positive way and I gave up on it years ago despite being a 5 min walk from it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have no social media presence or prowess.  And I'm sure I'm gonna get this story wrong, but I don't give fuck one about the principals in it.  But it just has "da fuh?" written all over it and doesn't warrant its own thread.  Some friends from undergrad told me this story as I was visiting Fort Worth over the holiday.  
But some foreign luxury brand car owner sells all his dealerships in Florida and moves to Fort Worth.  Wife blows $50mm+ on her daughter's wedding.  Even if you're worth several hundred million, spending 10-20% of your net worth on a wedding seems weird.  Not my place to judge.  But she's now like a internet sensation not even because the wedding was that interesting, but just because what she spent on it.  I have no idea how you spend that much on a wedding in Texas unless you just hand out $17,999 checks to passing strangers in the parking lot by the thousands.  And then it turns out the new husband is still out on parole for assaulting 3 Fort Worth police officers over the summer?  What the fuck?  Did I miss something?

I heard the same story but no idea if it’s true

Lauren Muckleroy returned home yesterday.

And unfortunately, we have another one.

Two people were killed in a crash on Chisholm Trail Parkway near Interstate 30 about 12:45 a.m. Sunday, and the wrong-way driver who hit them faces charges of intoxicated manslaughter, according to Fort Worth police. 

Investigators believe a drunken driver traveling in the wrong lanes of the toll road collided with an SUV, killing both occupants. The man and woman were pronounced dead at the scene. 

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office identified the victims as Kristen Huddleston, 35, and Jared Huddleston, 42. 

Isn’t it fairly fucking difficult to be going the wrong way on CTP?