Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Anybody go to that Shaq rave at Panther Island?

Newspaper articles about the "nearby residents expressing concern" for the noise and demographic. Last I checked theres only a couple small apartment complexes near the Pavilion. Wouldn't surprise me if it was one douche lawyer living there complaining.

Newspaper articles about the "nearby residents expressing concern" for the noise and demographic. Last I checked theres only a couple small apartment complexes near the Pavilion. Wouldn't surprise me if it was one douche lawyer living there complaining.
Last deal they had there my windows were shaking in Monticello. I didn't hear anything yesterday except for the fireworks at 10ish.

Maybe they turned the stages to face north.

21 hours ago, cmontexas said:

No, that last concert was an absolute BEATING through MIDNIGHT, and I live off Clover near 30! However, I didn't hear anything this time so I appreciate the steps take to prevent a repeat.

After putting a high-end spin on burgers, Mexican food and French cuisine, local restaurateur Felipe Armenta is on the eve of elevating another important food group: barbecue.  

F1 Smokehouse, the long-awaited barbecue joint from Armenta and celebrity chef Graham Elliot, will open Thursday, Armenta says. The restaurant is at 517 University Drive, in the building last occupied by Austin City Taco Co.   

This won’t be your ordinary barbecue spot, like Heim BBQ or Brix BBQ. The restaurant will offer table service, as opposed to the more common fast-casual style, and dishes will be more chef-inspired; F1 will also have a full bar. 

The menu is made up of appetizers, salads, sandwiches, sides and “Signature” dishes. Appetizers include pepper jack queso, tater tots spiked with bacon, brisket chili and a shrimp cocktail.  

There are five sandwiches: a chopped brisket patty melt topped with caramelized onions and aged cheddar cheese; a crispy buffalo chicken sandwich with celery root slaw and ranch aioli; a ribeye French dip; a smoked pork loin sandwich; and the F1 Barbecue Burger, served with bacon and Swiss cheese.  

“Signature” dishes include a beef brisket served with a side of white truffle potato salad, smoked prime rib with garlic fingerling potatoes, baby back Duroc pork ribs, double-cut pork chops flavored with Korean food-inspired spices, blackened grilled salmon, and peach glazed chicken.  

Among the sides are jalapeno cheddar Wagyu sausage and “Mac N Jack,” a mash-up of wagon wheel pasta, cheddar jack bechamel, jalapeños, and roasted red peppers. There are also three salads.  

Fort Worth got a small taste of F1 in its original incarnation: a food truck located behind Armenta’s Press Café.  

F1 Smokehouse is the second of three new Fort Worth concepts from Armenta and Elliot, whom Fort Worth Magazine profiled in August. Le Margot, a well-received French restaurant, opened recently on Hulen Street, and coming soon will be The Duke, a steakhouse in the Fort Worth Stockyards’ Mule Alley. 

f12.jpg

Ol' boy Travis did not appreciate the bolded. 

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Wagyu Mac n cheese? Truffle potatoes? This sounds like hipster heaven and my personal hell. I give it 120 days.

That's generous, but probably correct.  With all of the great barbecue options in the FW area, this has all the makings of a limited target market that won't support the lease on that location imho. 

7 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Anyone have any pro tips for TCU game tomorrow morning? I’d absolutely prefer not going but wife got tickets. My main thing is parking.

It's not great. No matter what, you're walking. I'd suggest parking in the neighborhood east of University; it's free and easy to get out after the game. Try Cockrell or Greene. It's a near straight shot across University to the East entry of the stadium. Homecoming tomorrow, so all bets are off.

I ate at Cafe Bella earlier. That whole area around TCU is packed with people for Homecoming.  Cafe Bella was really good and affordable. Very enjoyable. 

• Like 1

That's generous, but probably correct.  With all of the great barbecue options in the FW area, this has all the makings of a limited target market that won't support the lease on that location imho. 

Le Margot is also a bit strange. Looks like a mash up between French Room and Cheddars. It seems like these concepts with Graham elliot would be more at home in some pretentious place like highland Park.

It's not great. No matter what, you're walking. I'd suggest parking in the neighborhood east of University; it's free and easy to get out after the game. Try Cockrell or Greene. It's a near straight shot across University to the East entry of the stadium. Homecoming tomorrow, so all bets are off.
I ate at Cafe Bella earlier. That whole area around TCU is packed with people for Homecoming.  Cafe Bella was really good and affordable. Very enjoyable. 

Great rec. Free parking, easy in and out, and walk isn’t even close to bad. Thanks

5 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Great rec. Free parking, easy in and out, and walk isn’t even close to bad. Thanks

You're welcome. It was Parents Weekend, not Homecoming, but either way, there was a lot folks hanging out around tailgating.

I forgot to mention that it was free, that's a bonus. I usually park on one of those streets and then head out East on Park Hill to McCart, then south to 820. Stay away from that I-30 University mess. 

• Hook 'Em 2

@Art Vandelay

Kansas Game Watching

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 30 | 1:30 p.m. pregame; 2:30 p.m. kickoff
@ TWO NEW LOCATIONS
BOOMERJACK'S WESTERN CENTER | 6701 Fossil Bluff Dr., Fort Worth
TWILITE LOUNGE | 212 Lipscomb St., Fort Worth

You may have seen that World of Beer has closed for remodeling. We're excited to announce that we'll have two game watching locations this weekend!

Twilite Lounge will donate 5 percent of all sales during the game to our scholarship fund, and BoomerJack's will donate 10% of sales to Longhorn fans to our scholarship fund. 

We hope to see both locations rocking with Longhorn fans sharing in all the excitement from the game, singing along to the Eyes of Texas and Texas Fight, and just generally relishing in being out, meeting new friends, and catching up with old ones! Grab some burnt orange beads, and support YOUR Longhorns surrounded by cheering UT Fans.

Twilite Lounge game hosts are Kimberly Jerige and Doug Wright, and BoomerJack's game host will be Richard Gehrig.

Not sure any BoomerJack’s needs more people on a Saturday. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

@Art Vandelay

Not sure any BoomerJack’s needs more people on a Saturday. 

Is the WoB "remodeling" a euphemism for closing down? Every time I drive by there it's deader than dead in there.

I quit going to the game watching parties at WoB because the service couldn't keep up with our heavy in game drinking habits. Sorry to put you out for ordering another round of shots, girl, it's not my fault we scored another touchdown so quickly.

5 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I quit going to the game watching parties at WoB because the service couldn't keep up with our heavy in game drinking habits. Sorry to put you out for ordering another round of shots, girl, it's not my fault we scored another touchdown so quickly.

That's been my experience too. The Bama game was especially bad. The place was packed and they were severely understaffed. I pretty much gave up trying to get drinks. How are you not prepared for a big game like that? To make matters worse, there was a sizeable group of U of Florida fans watching their game in the back room.

15 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

When I first read the email, my brain defaulted to this beauty off Alta Mere. 

8-C418246-C66-D-447-E-8738-C32-DCF0008-F

Would love to see the faces of some rich UT Karens if they rolled up to that joint. 

I'm not sure, but that looks to be the same location as the notorious Norma's back in the '70s.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good for Jake’s. If you’re bringing kids to an adult scenario make sure they act like adults or get a fucking baby sitter or just stay the fuck home. The problem with out of control kids isn’t the kids but their usually late in life spawning parents who choose to inflict their kids on the world as they don’t want any changes to their lifestyle. Mom, that means keep your kids in line instead of slamming your fourth margarita and Dad, play cornhole with your kids instead of ignoring them.

I was an only child dragged to all kinds of adult stuff. Both my parents had a look that was all I needed. Get the eye and know you’re about to cross a line. Nothing like a little public punishment and humiliation to maintain discipline. A little shame and guilt are good human learning tools.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 10:24 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

f12.jpg

This place sucked. Went there last Friday and tried the following:

Signature dishes include a beef brisket served with a side of white truffle potato salad

It was $28 for about a 1/4 lbs of brisket.  3 drops of BBQ sauce on the plate....drops. It looked like someone dripped sauce while moving a spoon of sauce over the plate. Pathetic. Potato salad looked like it was dumped out of a styrofoam container and onto the plate.

Im sure this will do well in Dallas, but not FW. I get more from Rudy's. I should have gone to Rudy's. 

Felipe Armenta has had great success with his other restaurants - Pacific Table, Press Cafe, Tavern, Maria’s, and Le Margot. He seems to have a magic touch, but those places mostly combine a good ambiance with a somewhat upscale menu, and no one looks for that in BBQ. It’s hard to envision F1 Smokehouse having similar success for him.

Not my photo. Not even Fort Worth, but this shithole is shut down. Apparently whatever Italian restaurant they had elsewhere is also shutting down.

40777f4e0e73d400f7b39c9c73c4ccf1.jpg
When Heim pulled the plug on the Parker County location, I seem to remember him tweeting about the cost of building and that Parker County wasn't off the table, but they'd be looking for an existing location. I wonder if this could be that existing location. The building, though small, isn't bad, and the outdoor space is nice. (Everything else about that place was horrible.)

2 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Apparently whatever Italian restaurant they had elsewhere is also shutting down.

First (& likely last) time I've heard of Tre Mogli. 

Tre Mogli, an ambitious Italian restaurant in South Main Village, has closed, according to a post Monday on the restaurant’s Facebook page.

A corporate cousin, Parker County Ice House in Willow Park, also closed, according to social media photos and comments. The phone went unanswered Monday night.

“We deeply regret to announce that Tre Mogli will be closing its doors permanently as of today,” the Fort Worth restaurant’s social media post read.

“We would like to express our heartfelt gratitude to all our loyal patrons and amazing employees who’ve been a part of our journey over the last year and a half. Your support has meant the world to us, and we will cherish the memories. Thank you once again for your unwavering support and understanding.” 

Exactly the same note was photographed at Parker County Ice House, 210 Willow Bend Circle, changing only the restaurant name.

The Willow Park restaurant had been the target last year of noise complaints from neighbors and went through a protracted negotiation with that city.

Parker County Ice House relocated there in 2021 from its beginnings as Berry St. Ice House, 2000 W. Berry St. in Fort Worth.

Tre Mogli, 401 S. Main St., opened back-to-back with survivor Wishbone & Flynt, which remains open..

The restaurants were all owned by Fort Worth-based Trident Restaurant Group.

Founding chef Stefon Rishel said he remains with Wishbone & Flynt. He is mostly focused on opening a dumplings restaurant, Teddy Wong’s Dumplings & Wine, 812 W. Rosedale St. 

Guess the Ice House should have stayed on Berry. 

I ate at Tre Mogli a couple of times. Food was decent and I’m particular about Italian food. What I didn’t like is that their tables were awkwardly long for 2 people. I realize that’s an odd criticism, which kinda shows how bizarre the situation was, but it makes conversation awkward throughout dinner, and it was enough of a reason for me to not go back. So I won’t miss them.