Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

^ Here’s his write-up. 

The new Walk-On’s Bistreaux & Bar is ready-made for Texas: a football bar with spicy food.

Part-owner Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints joined up with two LSU graduates to come up with a sports bar and grill Louisianans would love, and along the way they put together enough favorites to make it a hit in Texas, too.

A Walk-On’s opened in the Arlington Highlands shops this week, and quickly drew attention for the fried catfish and shrimp along with the showpiece: Krispy Kreme bread pudding.

Instead of some canned-tasting, bland gumbo, Walk-Ons has a rich, dark duck-and-andouille version in a thick brown roux.

The fried catfish fillets compare well in a city known for Catfish Sam’s and one of the first Pappadeaux locations. A po-boy sandwich arrived thick with fillets, lettuce and picture-perfect red tomatoes.

The restaurant’s signature “boom boom” shrimp are spiced with what tastes like an aioli based on Buffalo red-hot sauce.

You’ll want to try several dishes, from the blackened chicken Alfredo or the catfish Atchafalaya to the smoked Gouda-bacon turkey cheeseburger.

With locally based Razzoo’s new Tricky Fish also offering an excellent menu, Gulf seafood restaurants might be the best chains of all.

The Arlington location of Walk-On’s is open from lunch until 11 p.m. weeknights, midnight Fridays and Saturdays. It anchors the Highlands at 401 E. Interstate 20; 817-617-2137, walk-ons.com.

And sure hope they cleaned the shit out of the Grotto. 

The name is Austin City Taco Co., but the heritage is all Fort Worth.

A Fort Worth owner teamed with former Reata chef Juan Rodriguez of Magdalena’s to design the flashy new Texas-themed taqueria, 517 University Drive.

Think of a taqueria with oak-smoked brisket or achiote rotisserie chicken and housemade blue corn or flour tortillas.

The “Austin” is all attitude, no fact. (Austin City Taco isn’t alone: The Schlotzsky’s sandwich chain just went back to its roots as “Schlotzsky’s Austin Eatery,” and Irving-based Hoffbrau has never hidden its Austin and Longhorn origins.)

Breakfast tacos — not an Austin original but popularized there — start at 7 a.m. with $3-$4 migas tacos, or there’s also a “midnight craving” taco with eggs, brisket and bacon jam.

The main menu features a sliced brisket taco on a flour tortilla that might as well be a sandwich ($5.95). Most of the tacos feature chopped brisket or rotisserie chicken, but there’s also shrimp tacos and pork tacos al pastor with pineapple and jalapeno sauce.

For dessert, there’s soft-serve gelato with honey-oat cereal.

Rodriguez still runs his Magdalena’s pop-up dinners, but helped design the Austin City recipes and menu.

“It’s sort of Central Texas-barbecue-meets-the-taqueria,” Rodriguez said on a recent episode of the Eats Beat podcast.

He’s proud of the sauces, particularly the guajillo. There’s a habanero and a creamy jalapeno, and spicy queso for the fries.

Last year, he talked wirh owners “and we hit it off,” Rodriguez said. The primary owner is Cameron Powell, a University of Texas graduate.

They picked out a busy University Drive corner at West Fifth Street across from J&J’s Oyster Bar near Deep Ellum Brewing.

(To answer the familiar west side question “What used to be there?” — the site was recently home to The Grotto, and years ago was a Good Luck Drive-In like the one on West Rosedale Street.)

The building boom isn’t done on University. A bar-and-grill named the Cookshack is expected across the street, owned by a Dallas restaurateur who used to own some Cheddar’s locations.

Austin City Taco is open at 7 a.m. daily except Sunday; 817-945-1234, austincitytaco.com.

They didn't just clean up the Grotto, they tore that fucker completely down and started new. Same with the Lisa's Fried Chicken across the street, which is being rebuilt to house another restaurant. 

I am hopeful that Austin City Taco will have decent breakfast tacos close to the house, but we'll see. 

Never had that location, but I’m a fan of Lisa’s. Specifically their fish. 

Sounds like this is the new place... 

2 hours ago, spystud13 said:

The building boom isn’t done on University. A bar-and-grill named the Cookshack is expected across the street, owned by a Dallas restaurateur who used to own some Cheddar’s locations.

4 hours ago, spystud13 said:

^ Here’s his write-up. 

And sure hope they cleaned the shit out of the Grotto. 

Kennedy missed the fact that there was a restaurant called The Cactus Flower at 5th and University back in the 80's.  Some of the best breakfast biscuits I ever ate were served there.  Don't recall a Good Luck Cafe ever being in that spot. Interested in the new taco joint.

I worked real close to the Lisa’s on Division for awhile, that was the craziest range of customers I’ve ever seen. Anything from Vettes in the drive-thru to homeless paying with change inside, & everything in between. Their work crew was fucking efficient though. 

Edited by spystud13
pch snuck his post in between

On 4/24/2019 at 8:51 PM, spystud13 said:

I worked real close to the Lisa’s on Division for awhile, that was the craziest range of customers I’ve ever seen. Anything from Vettes in the drive-thru to homeless paying with change inside, & everything in between. Their work crew was fucking efficient though. 

They have three locations on 28th street and they have mastered the concept of fast food-never had to wait more than three minutes from the time I ordered till I was headed out the door with decent barnyard pimp.  The corn on the cob they serve is a must have-State Fair worthy.

I went to Austin City Taco this morning. Had the migas taco and the chorizo egg and cheese. 

Not bad, but those are not real big tacos for 4 bucks each. You can go to the Taqueria in the Shell Station across the street and get $1.50 chorizo egg and cheese. 

I went to Austin City Taco this morning. Had the migas taco and the chorizo egg and cheese. 
Not bad, but those are not real big tacos for 4 bucks each. You can go to the Taqueria in the Shell Station across the street and get $1.50 chorizo egg and cheese. 
I literally just ordered and waiting for food.

Went by Austin City Taco today. Wasnt very good no matter the price. Two main issues were that many of the secondary ingredients are wet or dressed so the tortillas became soggy and broke. Secondly they do not have fresh brewed tea. They have fuze on the fountain machine and were out. I ended up getting water since i dont drink soda. When i told the manager he didnt seem to care. He should of offered to refund me my money back on the tea.

Space is very nice and it seems to have some real money behind it but im not sure it will last as there are to many other options. 315373e6268b8fe8a09d068f69a44263.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Checked out Flores Barbecue today. Real deal holyfield. Brisket and ribs were excellent. Sausage was avg. But I prefer a beef coarse grind. He's currently outsourcing his sausage, but will be making his own soon. In a couple of weeks they will be serving thurs-sun. You gotta ask for the tortilla. 

20190503_111303_zpszznh7lv8.jpg

Edited by dmtx

Checked out Flores Barbecue today. Real deal holyfield. Brisket and ribs were excellent. Sausage was avg. But I prefer a beef coarse grind. He's currently outsourcing his sausage, but will be making his own soon. In a couple of weeks they will be serving thurs-sun. You gotta ask for the tortilla. 
20190503_111303_zpszznh7lv8.jpg
Donde esta?

A man died after running a red light and hitting an 18-wheeler late Thursday, police said.

A woman passenger in the car was not seriously injured and was released at the scene of the wreck, police said.

The driver, identified as Richard Rivas, 29, of Grapevine, was traveling southbound on U.S. 377 and Texas 170 in Westlake about 10:30 p.m. when the wreck occurred, according to police.

Rivas died from blunt-force trauma to the chest and abdomen due to a motor vehicle collision with entrapment, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office.

20190502_231804.jpg

That is a lucky fucking chick. 

Anyone been here? 

In Texas, barbecue can be breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Hickory Stick Bar-B-Q dishes up brisket or ribs beginning at 8 a.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays, just the way the Jones family has for 42 years.

On Fridays and Saturdays, that can include a double-thick smoked pork chop. At $12.95 with sides, it’s a bargain breakfast, lunch or dinner, or add a baked potato and salad.

Texas has other early-morning barbecue joints. At 6 a.m. daily, Meat U Anywhere opens at 6 a.m. in Grapevine and Trophy Club. So do all locations of Lakeway-based Rudy’s BBQ. (At 8 a.m., the Woodshed Smokehouse opens in Fort Worth.)

But if you’re launching a barbecue bus tour or simply grabbing brisket for later, Hickory Stick is a good first stop.

The wood-paneled dining room and smoky-yellow menu board are straight out of small-town Texas.

Even the giant sign — a cowboy with a cowbell — is a relic from the old Underwood’s Bar-B-Q of Brownwood, which once had several Fort Worth locations.

The double chop is a new addition to Hickory Stick’s traditional menu of eight smoked meats, including both turkey and boneless chicken breast, the regular brisket-sausage-ribs combo, ham, hot links, bologna and smoked chicken legs (95 cents).

If you’ve gone to Cooper’s or Sammie’s, you’ve probably seen the big, bone-in pork chops. Hickory Stick’s has a lighter rub but plenty of flavor.

If you were in a Dallas steakhouse, it’d cost $30. In Everman, it’s $12.95. (Try it with Hickory Stick’s above-average sauce, made from founder Johnnie Jones’ recipe.)

A brisket plate at Hickory Stick is still $10.95. The ribs or combo plates are $12.95.

Hickory Stick opens at 8 a.m. and closes at 8 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays, closing Sundays and Mondays; 900 E. Enon Ave., 3 miles south of Loop 820, 817-478-9997, hickorystickbbq.com.

(While you’re in south Tarrant County, stop atLongoria’s BBQ in Everman and the original Jambo’sin Rendon. Then go by 4645 Dick Price Road and see how work is going on Austin pitmasters’ new Goldee’s Barbecue, coming soon.)

Went by La Pasadita on Las Vegas Trail in White Settlement. Damn good. 3 pastor and 3 pollo tacos, guacamole, warm self serve chips and salsa plus a topo chico ran me 17$ with tip. Nice people. From the outside it doesnt look very nice but the inside is very clean and tidy. About 15 people there at 11am all hispanic other than me. Didnt see any travellers nor gypsies.c04e191bb6d808e820d03b4aee7d5181.jpgfc6b5537628c9b053ba691555b77581b.jpg8e1cbba796600574382ee0e060e2f765.jpg66aec94c69676af8507d3bd8c7b53998.jpg1c3869ea027ac2049337b4deec42c0c8.jpg066e11127a5eb8b29176dc233acd9849.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

You gonna make an appearance today? 

Hell no. Needed a few things and went to Walmart Mart instead. That SOB was dead. Felt weird getting prime parking at 6pm on a Friday.

Hudson Oaks PD was still running traffic when I drove by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk