Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

One of Fort Worth’s best burger grills is going into the burrito business.

The new purple paint on South University Drive shows where Dutch’s Hamburgers is expanding.

The former oyster bar next door — it was a taqueria for years — has been swallowed by Dutch’s and joined to Dutch’s Locker Room bar.

The new shop will serve burritos, bowls and wraps, presumably with the guacamole and salsa already served on the hamburger side.

As you might expect, it’ll be open by TCU football season.

When was it an oyster bar? 

Yeah it sucks that he moved, his Whitney location was an easy in and out for me. I haven’t been to the new one either, but will try to run by before long.

He and the crew are so damn nice and his food is incredible, and he makes the tortillas with the brisket fat.

More food hall problems. Sounds like our city ain’t real big fans of the whole concept. 

Celebrated Dallas chef John Tesar has closed his contest-winning Knife Burger stand in the Food Hall at Crockett Row later this summer, he said Monday.

Hookers Grill, a Stockyards restaurant known for El Reno, Oklahoma-style “onion burgers” with onions or jalapeños pressed into the grilling beef, will replace Knife quickly, a food hall spokeswoman said.

Knife Burger and the accompanying Knife Bar opened in December as anchor tenants in the food hall, a casual marketplace meant to draw more diners and families to the bar-heavy Crockett Row development.

Tesar left the similar Legacy Hall in Plano in February as several chefs complained about the lease arrangement.

“Food halls are all for the landlord,” he said Monday in a text message.

“Too much work ... and in the case of Crockett, not enough business.”

The Food Hall at Crockett Row has been busy weekends but rarely full since it opened.

Press Waffle Co. gave the hall a boost with its win on “Shark Tank.” But several other Fort Worth restaurateurs changed plans about opening in the hall, at 3000 Crockett St, on the corner at Norwood Street.

Another anchor is Abe Froman’s of Fort Worth — chef Victor Villarreal’s tribute to the “Sausage King of Chicago.”

Knife Burger will remain open a few weeks, Tesar said.

It serves Tesar’s signature burger of the moment, the Ozersky. It’s named for a late magazine food writer who loved hamburger history.

It won the judges over and was named ‘best burger’ at the Fort Worth Food & Wine Festival.

Writer Josh Ozersky looked into the history of Athens’ claim as the home of the hamburger. Tesar’s Knife Burger is very similar to that first 1904 burger served in Athens by “Uncle Fletch” Davis.

It’s a half-pound of beef, hand-packed and loaded with cheese and onion onto a simple bun.

“It’s something you can have and enjoy for the same price [about $6] as a fast-food burger,” Tesar said.

“But this brings back memories of that first really good burger you ever had.”

Rollin’ ‘n’ Bowlin’ has also left the food hall and will open in an office tower at 500 W. Seventh St. downtown.

“The whole thing is a mystery over there,” Tesar said.

It’s open for lunch and dinner daily at 3000 Crockett St.; crockettrow.com

seems more and more like the food hall is not long for this world from those articles and just seeing it in person. this city just can't support all these restaurants, just not enough expendable income/white collar employment for the yuppies who are the lifeblood of these concepts ....

the above is admittedly ass talk, but besides magnolia and a few individual spots, it seems like failure and closings outnumber success stories in a disproportionate way beyond the usual bar/restaurant failure rate

• Like 2

Isn’t that the nature of the restaurant industry everywhere though? When you look beyond chains and fast food, what’s the nationwide success to failure ratio over a 2-3 year span for new restaurants? I’m not sure Fort Worth is unique or any worse off there.

The problems I see with the food hall are twofold:
1. Somewhat weird location with frustrating parking - street parking now metered and difficult to use, garages can be a mess
2. Poor publicity - I forget it even exists and don’t know what they have there that would sway me to eat at a glorified food court vs. a standalone restaurant elsewhere

1 minute ago, wild_turkey said:

2. Poor publicity - I forget it even exists and don’t know what they have there that would sway me to eat at a glorified food court vs. a standalone restaurant elsewhere

This is it. I have a login to the Startle-gram because my old man still gets it, but I would NEVER know about either food hall we’ve had lately otherwise. 

Very fucking few 25-35 year-olds in FW know/give a fuck about a food hall. 

Isn’t that the nature of the restaurant industry everywhere though? When you look beyond chains and fast food, what’s the nationwide success to failure ratio over a 2-3 year span for new restaurants? I’m not sure Fort Worth is unique or any worse off there.

1. Somewhat weird location with frustrating parking - street parking now metered and difficult to use, garages can be a mess
It is a tough industry but i believe places are closing much quicker these days than normal rates....there are stories spread all over internet from all over US last few years about it.

All the above statements add up to the whole picture...location,saturation,rent increases, wage increases,delivery options, etc....

The saturation i think is in part to the rise of all the cooking shows;everyone wants to be a celebrity chef

Good ones in good locations will survive

13 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I think this pretty much nails it. I think I visited twice. Also, "It's alright" isn't going to cut it in a competitive landscape. 

Have they improved the bar area at all? When I visited, the beer selection was macro and Corona, I think. That's fucking bullshit. You have all of these local eateries and you can't get a decent Texas beer on draft?  

Bud Kennedy says BBQ on the Brazos is taking the Royal Falcon Pub spot on the traffic circle.

"State-ranked BBQ on the Brazos is moving from Hood County to a former pub on the Benbrook Traffic Circle.
Co-owner John Sanford, who has hunted for months for a new location for the Texas Monthly top-50 restaurant, wrote on Twitter late Wednesday: “By the way, bbqonthebrazos is coming home to Cowtown.”
He didn’t make a formal announcement. But the Royal Falcon Pub, 3803 Southwest Blvd., posted on Facebook June 25 that it will close Saturday to make way for a new tenant.
The traffic circle location near Edelweiss German Restaurant matches Sanford’s description of the next location for BBQ on the Brazos, which opened in 2013in a Cresson gas station-convenience store."

• Like 1

Let’s set an O/U on this place. 

Punch Bowl Social is getting ready to make its entrance in Fort Worth.

Last year, the “eatertainment” company announced it was opening a 12,500 square-foot bar, restaurant and entertainment venue on 1100 Foch St. in the West 7th corridor, and now we finally have an opening date: July 27. Punch Bowl Social Fort Worth will host a grand opening party on that day starting 9 p.m. Tickets for the event are $20 each and includes food, complimentary drinks and games.

If you’re still unclear as to what Punch Bowl Social is, think of it almost like a trendy restaurant meets a Dave & Buster’s — there are arcade games, dart boards, bowling and even karaoke, but it all comes alongside food and craft cocktails. The food is a little like elevated bar food: The menu includes a shrimp burger with Old Bay mayo, crab cheese rangoon dip and cocoa-dusted carnitas tacos. 

The brand also prides itself on an eclectic interior design, melding mountain lodge, Victorian, mid-century modern and industrial together in a single space.

Yeah. It’s a lot.

But that seems to be the theme of Punch Bowl Social: a lot.

Those tacos sound horrid. 

Tuesday nights are $3.50 Crown & down, so you can do some damage for $50. Another girl had been working most Tuesdays prior, but I think she may have left due to lack of $. 

Wish we could see his whole face, pretty good chance we’d be able to ID him fairly quickly. 

1 hour ago, thestud said:

Ha holy shit. Not bad pizza there, especially after a long fucking drive with a nutter in the back of the box, but my go to spot in FW medical district was always Papa Chang’s on 8th and Pennsylvania. Shit ton of food for cheap.

Sad to see the wrecking ball hit Papa Chang's.  Used to have lunch at Harris with the wife once a week with their take out.