Coincidence

jimmyjazz

28 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The daughter just got married in May to a great kid.  The wife was going thru family pictures and happened upon a picture of our daughter in HS days standing on the Nags Head Fishing pier.

In the background is none other than her future husband fishing with his dad and brother.

Oh, so NOW you're taking the thread seriously.

On 10/22/2018 at 7:44 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

Moon data - proceed at your own risk

1/ The Moon has a diameter that is 400 times less than the Sun; 2/ The Sun is 400 times further away; 3/ This is happening at a time* when there are intelligent creatures on Earth who can wonder about this coincidence, and calculate its parameters.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-Moon-both-400-times-smaller-and-400-times-closer-than-the-Sun

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/luna/esp_luna_16.htm

Actually the universe is absolutely rife with amazing "coincidences", each of which is vital to the possibility of us being here to wonder at it.

From the composition and distribution of the early universe, to the distance of the Earth to the Sun, to the event that decimated the dinos, it's not only miraculous that we are here at all, but the same improbable chain of events has almost inevitably been repeated billions of times elsewhere in the cosmos.

And yet some people still don't believe in God.

Makes ya wonder...

• 3 weeks later...

So last year at Wurstfest, the wife and I were in the very back tent on the last day enjoying some tuba polka and beer and fried pork chops. It was sunny and raining at the same time and the sides of the tent had been tied up to the poles to let the sunlight in. There was an older dude in a wheelchair who's chair couldn't fit in between the benches that was getting rained on so a guy had untied one of the tent flaps to put behind this guy so he wouldn't get rained on. Well there was this group of 4 people, 2 chicks n 2 dudes - all decked out in lederhosen and whatnot, about 2 tables up from us, and one of the dudes starts making a fuss about the flap being pulled because it blocked some of the sunlight. Pretty much everyone immediately gives this guy shit for being a complete asshole and he tones it down quick realizing his fuckup. 

Fast forward to today. Last day of Wurstfest, same tent. Wife and I and our 2 friends are sitting at a bench. The 2 friends get up to get food and we put their jackets and stuff there to save their seats. Who come by to try and steal the seats, but the same 2 girls that were with the dbags last year. We got them to not get in the seats but they managed to pile up all their shit right next to them very inconveniently for our friends. Then when the 2 dbag dudes get back they decide to try and muscle their way into some seats next to us that were clearly taken. An argument ensues, dbag group moves to another spot. Asshole guy from last year does a nice thing and gives the people next to us 21 beer tickets so they can get a pitcher and apologizes for being an asshole.  Those people were about to leave, however... and quietly asked us if we wanted the tickets. 

So after 2 encounters in 2 years with the same assholes, they end up inadvertently buying me a pitcher of beer. 

Prost! 

So a few nights ago, my son and I are in the car heading down the freeway.  I have the classic rock radio station on and Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar On Me was playing.  My son says it's strange how the song sounds just like Joan Jett's I Love Rock and Roll.  I'm like, what?  He says they have the same beat/cadence.  The song ends and I Love Rock and Roll immediately starts playing.  We both had a good laugh.

On October 27, 2018 at 10:41 AM, DoobieWah said:

Actually the universe is absolutely rife with amazing "coincidences", each of which is vital to the possibility of us being here to wonder at it.

From the composition and distribution of the early universe, to the distance of the Earth to the Sun, to the event that decimated the dinos, it's not only miraculous that we are here at all, but the same improbable chain of events has almost inevitably been repeated billions of times elsewhere in the cosmos.

And yet some people still don't believe in God.

Makes ya wonder...

Makes ya wonder why anyone would consider any of that to be evidence for the existence of God. Chances are they already believed in God before learning about the wonders of the universe and are interpreting them in a way to support that which they already believe. That's no coincidence.

It's also no coincidence that about 99.9999% of everyone who believes in God just happens to believe in the same God their parents did. And no matter which God you believe in, for a species that's been around for over 200,000 years, on a world over 4 billion years old, in a universe over 14 billion years old, no one believed in that God more than just a few thousand years ago. Every God worshipped today is a relatively recent invention. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back in 1979, I had a girlfriend who lived on the opposite side of San Antonio.  I was running a bit late the first time I went to her house to pick her up for a date, and I was getting flustered because there was a slow car in front of me that wouldn't get out of my way.  I don't think I honked, but the first chance I had, I blew past them (probably with an illegal maneuver) like an asshole to get on Loop 410.  So, I get to her house and she's not ready yet (duh).  I wait for her in the living room, and her parents walk in.  Her dad looked vaguely familiar from the side.  I introduced myself and we chatted until my girlfriend decides she is ready.   We leave the house and - wouldn't you know - her parents car in the driveway is the same car I blew past 30 minutes earlier.  Unless they were oblivious, they had to have recognized my car because it was very unique-looking Camaro.

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2018 at 12:54 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

The daughter just got married in May to a great kid.  The wife was going thru family pictures and happened upon a picture of our daughter in HS days standing on the Nags Head Fishing pier.

In the background is none other than her future husband fishing with his dad and brother.

Seinfeld-The-Slicer-boombox.jpg

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Makes ya wonder why anyone would consider any of that to be evidence for the existence of God. Chances are they already believed in God before learning about the wonders of the universe and are interpreting them in a way to support that which they already believe. That's no coincidence.

It's also no coincidence that about 99.9999% of everyone who believes in God just happens to believe in the same God their parents did. And no matter which God you believe in, for a species that's been around for over 200,000 years, on a world over 4 billion years old, in a universe over 14 billion years old, no one believed in that God more than just a few thousand years ago. Every God worshipped today is a relatively recent invention. 

So the notion of God has persisted since the very beginning? Imagine that.

15 hours ago, El Diablo said:

So the notion of God has persisted since the very beginning? Imagine that.

No. What the fuck are you talking about?

I have no idea how you came to that interpretation of what I said. The "very beginning" preceded human notion by more than 14 billion years. We have no record of any human notion from the very beginning of humanity as a species. What we do have record of is from fairly recently in our own history and which shows an evolution of our conception of the supernatural that's hardly been limited to the god concept. Many people have worshipped and prayed to their dead ancestors, for example. 

49 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No. What the fuck are you talking about?

I have no idea how you came to that interpretation of what I said. The "very beginning" preceded human notion by more than 14 billion years. We have no record of any human notion from the very beginning of humanity as a species. What we do have record of is from fairly recently in our own history and which shows an evolution of our conception of the supernatural that's hardly been limited to the god concept. Many people have worshipped and prayed to their dead ancestors, for example. 

I think I disagree with your statement that I've bolded above. What we have as evidence is we as a species have evolved with a strong predisposition to the spiritual. Weird, no? Perhaps we're spiritual beings in physical bodies. Some can ponder the question without breaking out in hives.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 10:07 AM, Sandman said:

My wife and I went to DC on our honeymoon in 2009. As we were walking through Arlington Cemetery, I happened to look to my left and saw my own name on a headstone. Talk about eerie, to find my not-overly-common name on one headstone out of the thousands in that place. The guy won the Medal of Honor, too. Died in 1895. 

We went back to DC this year for vacation. I purposely made it back to his grave to say hello.

You went to a cemetery on your honeymoon?

• 4 weeks later...

I play in a semi-weekly low limit poker game with friends. I set aside a stack of small bills -- ten singles, six fives, and two tens, generally speaking -- so that I can make change if anyone needs it and still make sure I can cover myself if I lose. ($5 always goes toward pizza.) I can always grab twenties from an ATM but it's easier to keep a wad of small bills handy so I never have to worry about it. 

Last night was poker night. On Wednesday I received a dollar in change from a Chinese restaurant and I just noticed that it's consecutive in order of serial number from one of the singles already in my poker stash.